Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First negative preview of GW2?

Comments

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Sounds like a trad MMORPG fan trying to scrape the barrel in order to make the game look bad.

All I know is that I watched this, and my excitement levels went off the charts.

You just can't argue with a video like that.

---

@Ankur

No, you're wrong.

Sigh.

...why can't people be observant? Is it too much to ask that people listen to what they're actually watching? Are my expectations too high? I'm sorry... are they? Come on, don't be lazy.

What he said was that there was a number in the objectives that didn't need to be there, he was told that the had to look through 10 of something in total, and he didn't want to know that. He'd prefer that they just strip that kind of information out of the descriptions all together because he doesn't feel it does the game any favours.

You sure? before you accuse me for not wtaching properly do it yourself and listen to the part carefuly where he talks about traditional questing objectives as immersion breakers and wonders why not remove this old system completely since DE-s are supposed to be evolution of classis questing system. The objective was to go 'collect 10 relics'.

And there are many objectives like that in DE's.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by vlavlavlad

The reality is that the game uses the same old MMORPG formula and does not bring much new stuff in. The graphics are without a doubt are the best, the combat system is really nice (even though having 5 active skills after quite a few many kills started getting dry). I participated in this past weekend beta for the first time also. What kills this game IMO is how repetitive events are and how frankly the quest system sucks. Move a bit further in the map you will find the telescope icon which is the main npc that will point you to empty heart icons which are the markers for the same old go get this or kill so much of this type of quest. The main storyline which I was playing as a human guardian the one of the orphan trying to find his real parents was also not top quality stuff. Events also are nothing more than an unorganised mess also. Will I buy this game, yes and I will play it no doubt, but I'm not all that crazy about it. And if it had a subscription based service I would not buy it, as I do not see anything out of the same old deal in here. I did not get into SWTOR either, Is basically WOW in space. 

if thats how you played the game you did it wrong.. the devs posted saying they basically had to add the "scouts" in because players are so used to a "on the rails" questing experience they had no idea how to play without them.. the game is meant to be explored, it's actually quite a different game by the looks of it if you ignore the scouts and just explore and play do what you want... although hard to judge from videos... go back to EQ1 where you would grind out on mobs til you werent getting exp and then be like.. well i'll go this way see what i can find, they were trying to bring this kind of adventure back into the game.. but apparently gamers these days are too lazy to want to explore and need their hands held

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by dinams

[Mod Edit]

No one said it sucks. But lets' temper the enthusiasm. Its not the second coming of Jesus  for christ's sake! Its a dynamic take on the traditional mmo staples - streamline this, accelerate that, make the public feel that it is somehow different and you got eveyrone extolling the game like its the messiah of all.

It looks very nice and polished, but a lot of people are SERIOUSLY going to be disappointed going in with these kinds of expectations!

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Ankur

Sounds like a trad MMORPG fan trying to scrape the barrel in order to make the game look bad.

All I know is that I watched this, and my excitement levels went off the charts.

---

@Ankur

No, you're wrong.

Sigh.

...why can't people be observant? Is it too much to ask that people listen to what they're actually watching? Are my expectations too high? I'm sorry... are they? Come on, don't be lazy.

What he said was that there was a number in the objectives that didn't need to be there, he was told that the had to look through 10 of something in total, and he didn't want to know that. He'd prefer that they just strip that kind of information out of the descriptions all together because he doesn't feel it does the game any favours.

You sure? before you accuse me for not wtaching properly do it yourself and listen to the part carefuly where he talks about traditional questing objectives as immersion breakers and wonders why not remove this old system completely since DE-s are supposed to be evolution of classis questing system. The objective was to go 'collect 10 relics'.

What's a classls questing system? No, I honestly don't know what that is.

It's an evolution of questing systems in general. I'm not sure what a classls is or what it has to do with anything.

And he didn't say that he wanted to see the removal of objectives. You can't remove objectives. If you remove objectives then there's no point in doing anything, you just sit around drinking tea. No, he said that he didn't want objectives shoved in his face as a number.

You really do need to pay attention.

Originally posted by bestever

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Adhesive33

For me, it just shows that we have different tastes in games, so I put less weight in the review.

It's also strange that points of criticism aimed at GW2 weren't also aimed at TOR.

Regarding the authorship, the actual review looks to be ghost written, but the same author did write a preview piece that put TOR in a very favorable light. 

While I understand your point here, I think it has more to do with expectation. Many seem to have this idea that GW2 is nothing like any MMO out there, "it's all new" seems to be the mindset going in for these peeps. Everyone knew this wasn't the case for TOR, hence no backlash toward a misconception.

There is no misconception, it is different in many ways. Now if people think that we aren't going to go kill mobs or put out fires or what not then yes. The game needs to give you something to do or whats the point. So they have some of the old style quest figured they would, but they even do those in a different way to make the world feel alive and thats good enough for me.

The NPC's standing on one spot like a statue communicating teletaphically with you and chucking quests at you while monsters keep attacking, being defeated, attacking and defeated till the end of time is more braidead than alive.

Its not an open world pvp and your decisions have zero impact past the initial "thrill" of something changing.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by dimasok

Like I said

It has a negative preview

It sucks

No one said it sucks. But lets' temper the enthusiasm. Its not the second coming of Jesus  for christ's sake! Its a dynamic take on the traditional mmo staples - streamline this, accelerate that, make the public feel that it is somehow different and you got eveyrone extolling the game like its the messiah of all.

It looks very nice and polished, but a lot of people are SERIOUSLY going to be disappointed going in with these kinds of expectations!

All I see here is people grabbing the article with all their fingers and slapping at people's face as being "THE TRUTH"

Nah I dont care if it has a negative preview, but lets not make a big deal out of it, every game has one of those

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

We are already arguing about it. What you should have said is that you will never 'accept' the argument. Anything negative about GW2 is forbidden by you.

I am Ankur, this is my knee, see it jerking.

The thread is about the article on the first page. Whatever you're arguing about is irrelevant to me.

And whatever hardcore fans say about GW2 is irrelevant to me. I am looking for more un biased point of views here. But thanks. Your knee jerked the moment someone said something negative about GW2.

Monkey see, monkey do. :P

---

@Ankur

No, you're wrong.

Sigh.

It's an evolution of questing systems in general. I'm not sure what a classls is or what it has to do with anything.

And he didn't say that he wanted to see the removal of objectives. You can't remove objectives. If you remove objectives then there's no point in doing anything, you just sit around drinking tea. No, he said that he didn't want objectives shoved in his face as a number.

Seriously dude you are trying too hard here. I clearly mentioned 'traditional questing objectives' he was specifically talking about "go collect and fetch x' type of quests. He wasn't just talking about removing any objective but these old and tired formula of questing which is immersion breaker for him.

Anyone can watch the video and listen to what he has to say, not that i can make up stuff and get away with it.

Like I said

It sucks

All I see here is people grabbing the article with all their fingers and slapping at people's face as being "THE TRUTH"

Nah I dont care if it has a negative preview, but lets not make a big deal out of it, every game has one of those

Couldn't agree more. It's only the people over-inflating it and trying to make out that Guild Wars 2 has fallen apart and will be a failure and a terrible game just because of what some bloke wrote on his blog that gets me down. Really does.

---

@Ankur

No, you're wrong.

Sigh.

Seriously dude you are tryin too hard here. I clearly mentioned 'traditional questing objectives' he was specifically talking about "go collect and fetch x' type ogf quests. He wasn't just talkign about removing any objective but these old and tired formula of questing which is immersion breaker for him.

Anyone can watch the video and listen to what he has to say, not that i can make up stuff and get away with it.

Look at your own posts. You just changed your argument.

Like I said

It sucks

Couldn't agree more. It's only the people over-inflating it and trying to make out that Guild Wars 2 has fallen apart and will be a failure and a terrible game just because of what some bloke wrote on his blog that gets me down. Really does.

Who the hell said it was going to fall apart? People are saying its not as innovative as everyone makes it sound, that doesn't mean it will fall apart or will suck. I expect it to be a fine game but its not revolutionary and the article further corroborates that.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

This is the only preview I have read that does not ignore what is wrong with this game. It is a must read for anyone even remotely interested. Probably the best written prevew for any MMO ive read in years.

Like I said

It sucks

Who the hell said it was going to fall apart? People are saying its not as innovative as everyone makes it sound, that doesn't mean it will fall apart or will suck. I expect it to be a fine game but its not revolutionary and the article further corroborates that.

Do I have to be a mad archivist and go back over the pages where you've posted and gone a little too far?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by bestever

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Adhesive33

For me, it just shows that we have different tastes in games, so I put less weight in the review.

It's also strange that points of criticism aimed at GW2 weren't also aimed at TOR.

Regarding the authorship, the actual review looks to be ghost written, but the same author did write a preview piece that put TOR in a very favorable light. 

While I understand your point here, I think it has more to do with expectation. Many seem to have this idea that GW2 is nothing like any MMO out there, "it's all new" seems to be the mindset going in for these peeps. Everyone knew this wasn't the case for TOR, hence no backlash toward a misconception.

There is no misconception, it is different in many ways. Now if people think that we aren't going to go kill mobs or put out fires or what not then yes. The game needs to give you something to do or whats the point. So they have some of the old style quest figured they would, but they even do those in a different way to make the world feel alive and thats good enough for me.

Can't agree, as I remember the arguments regarding games like TOR where peeps were tearing it down for its traditional WOW-like questing nature, and in turn saying GW2 didn't have things like that. People obviously had that misconception. Or there would have never been arguments made on that subject in favor of GW2. In short it's a result of people followng hype rather than actual statements made.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

---

@Ankur

No, you're wrong.

Sigh.

Seriously dude you are tryin too hard here. I clearly mentioned 'traditional questing objectives' he was specifically talking about "go collect and fetch x' type ogf quests. He wasn't just talkign about removing any objective but these old and tired formula of questing which is immersion breaker for him.

Look at your own posts. You just changed your argument.

Nothing has changed my argument is still about 'go get me 10 rat tails' kind of objectives in various stages of DE's. I knew this was going to be the case but for many it is a rude awakening as if something impossible just happened.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Golelorn

Wow. I thought GW2 would be different. Should have known better.

Can't believe they are using these tired old quest. Really disappointed.

They're not.  That review is full of misinformation.  That's not at all how those events work.  The only feature in the game that remotely resembles a quest is your personal story, which is instanced.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Damn, I mean shall we do video comparisons

Let's just do something simple get a wow,rift,warhammer, and GW 2 pve starting area youtube links and bingo answers should be there lol.

If you played all of the above, one would see the glarring and obvious differences, they should be kill/collect/interact/destination/mission based/capture points(PVE)/defending/assaulting/using enviromental objects to destroy stuff/taking out towers/throwing snowball at kids/going fishing with orrs(Kill fishies/ I think I missed some others.

But yea all that's been in each game and they are even done the same exact way, I mean hell all you have to do is take away such and such from GW 2 and badda boom badda bing same as the others...

What? lol

The amusement, no but so we all agree in this thread GW 2 has kill x/collect x/interact with x and more right?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

[Mod Edit]

So amusing to see same people who supported every negative preview of SWTOR acting like white knights when it comes to GW2. Guess what surprise..someone disliked GW2.

It is the EXACT same people too....

good catch.

Like I said

It sucks

Do I have to be a mad archivist and go back over the pages where you've posted and gone a little too far?

I dare you to show me where I mentioned the game will fall apart or will tank in sales. I always maintained since the beginning here that its not innovative as much as people think but that I would still buy it and play it because I expect it to be a good game.

If you intepret my words your way its not something I can control.

I guess the only "crime" i commited is not being an avid GW2 fanboy. And im thankful for that!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Besides the "been there - done that" complaint which while valid can essentially sum up every mmo to an extent seems like the writer's other major complaint was it played more like an actual mmo instead of a single player game unlike some others games of late.

Which...well...lols

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• superussuperus Member Posts: 94

Meh I don't care about other peoples opinions.. but tell me you're not blown away after seeing this GW2 footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu18i4qwyrQ

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Besides the "been there - done that" complaint which while valid can essentially sum up every mmo to an extent seems like the writer's other major complaint was it played more like an actual mmo instead of a single player game unlike some others games of late.

Which...well...lols

Lol that's what I said to my self reading the reviewer.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Like I said...

nah, gotta give up, else I get called as I fanboy and all my arguments are invalid therefore

You know what, this genre needs to die for some time, indepedent of GW2 or not, it needs to die, mostly to cleanse its player population

My theory that the problem with mmos nowadays is actually with us, the players, is coming into fruition

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Every game is going to have a bad review, theres no such a thing as being loved by everybody

Now the problem is when people go all "SEE, THIS GAME SUCKS!", when a single review pops up lol

You can bet people will link back to it when all the positive reviews come out.  It happens with a lot of MMOs.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Every game is going to have a bad review, theres no such a thing as being loved by everybody

Now the problem is when people go all "SEE, THIS GAME SUCKS!", when a single review pops up lol

You can bet people will link back to it when all the positive reviews come out.  It happens with a lot of MMOs.

Its a big cycle, anyone that followed mmorpg in a year would know this

A game is hyped to the heavens, people that dont like get flamed by people that like, once reviews starts coming out, the flamed people strikes back with every negative review, people that like will fight back with every positive reviews, the game comes out, people that like plays it, people that hate it bash it, next great game nears completion, cycle resets...

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

This discussion has been closed.