Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: New Producer's Letter Arrives

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest in the Final Fantasy XIV Producer's Letter series has arrived. This time, the discussion revolves around the just-released v1.21 patch and job quests. As usual, the letter closes with the gargantuan list of things the team is working on as it prepares the v1.21a and v1.22 patches.

The team is ramping up the threat of the Seventh Umbral Era as the game moves towards the release of v2.0 later this year.

Read the entire letter on the Final Fantasy XIV forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Gilgamesh195Gilgamesh195 Member Posts: 3

This game could have been so wonderful...

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

it still could be

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

It will be. Just give it time. Yoshi is doing the best he can. He was handed with crap, yanno.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Its salvagable, but the game has left a foul taste in too many mouthes for too long to become the hit it could've been.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

FFXIV will update its gameplay, graphics, and engine, release on PS3 and have a decent following. This pretty much seems like a guarantee, in my mind. Whether decent means fairly profitable or just barely scraping by is another story.

I don't see it winning back as many western PC players as were originally lining up to play at launch, but I'm sure plenty of people will give it a go either way. Hopefully there's some incentive to give the game another go when v2.0 is released, like a free week or something to people who originally bought the game, or at least a trial.

Well, can only really wait and see!

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

No hope for that game.  I only play fun games.  And they expect more money every month for it! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

think they said there will be another free 30 day or something when 2.0 releases

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

it's still could be..........    its still could...................    its stil...................

• BattagBattag Member Posts: 94

I hope everyone is aware that the game is completely different now than what it was at its launch. The original producer messed up, he admitted, and left. Yoshi P has turned this game around massively and when it comes out for ps3 we will see even more changes. From patch to patch the game only gets better so whatever. A year fear, $9 a month for subscription, a dedicated team that has admitted their faults and are working their asian butts off to fix what has been broken, a producer who communicates and listens, what more do you want. 

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

II love what FFXIV has become and will be by 2.0.... Yoshi-P is amazing....can't wait for 2.0 client...

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by Battag

I hope everyone is aware that the game is completely different now than what it was at its launch. The original producer messed up, he admitted, and left. Yoshi P has turned this game around massively and when it comes out for ps3 we will see even more changes. From patch to patch the game only gets better so whatever. A year fear, $9 a month for subscription, a dedicated team that has admitted their faults and are working their asian butts off to fix what has been broken, a producer who communicates and listens, what more do you want. 

Pretty much my impressions lately, which is a good thing. Although in Japanese culture, I think this roughly translates into "Someone got scapegoated, and company is desperately trying to save face and not write off a massive project". Kind of hoping this is a symptom of MMO culture at large, with companies being forced to reconsider what they can offer and succeed with.

I admit to being a sucker for good looking games, but the original was simply THAT bad. Speaking for myself, it WILL take a free play period if they want to convince me to give v2.0 an honest try.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• hephestus15hephestus15 Member Posts: 11

At the moment the game is off-shelves in Japan, but soon as a new box comes out (I assume with 2.0, if not an earlier some with the comming subscription model introduction) I'll buy it and give it a spin. I assume you'll get the standard 30days free if you pay for the box and that should be more than enough time to see if the game's worth its weight. I hope Yoshi-P keeps up his work, because above anything he really does LOVE the game and wants to turn it into something great (Watch the 2-hour dev video he posted, it's on youtube). That kind of dedication is almost nonexistent in the increacingly businesslike-world of MMOs.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by hephestus15

At the moment the game is off-shelves in Japan, but soon as a new box comes out (I assume with 2.0, if not an earlier some with the comming subscription model introduction) I'll buy it and give it a spin. I assume you'll get the standard 30days free if you pay for the box and that should be more than enough time to see if the game's worth its weight. I hope Yoshi-P keeps up his work, because above anything he really does LOVE the game and wants to turn it into something great (Watch the 2-hour dev video he posted, it's on youtube). That kind of dedication is almost nonexistent in the increacingly businesslike-world of MMOs.

pretty sure that there's going to be a free week long trial when 2.0 hits

the game is still pretty much in a beta state right now (game still uses the god awful game engine/ui that they plan to rebuild completely for 2.0)

if how much progress the new team made has since the disasterous release is any indicator, there may be hope for this game 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Its salvagable, but the game has left a foul taste in too many mouthes for too long to become the hit it could've been.

Game will probably survive. At last for some time. But thats all. Never ever will be what could have been. And I'm pretty sad about this.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Im tempted to try it again cause I know its the game ive always been looking for. Just a question do I wait til 2.0 or jump on it now.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

looking forward to test the game again when 2.0 comes.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by Dragonantis

Im tempted to try it again cause I know its the game ive always been looking for. Just a question do I wait til 2.0 or jump on it now.

wait for 2.0, the game is still pretty badly optimized at the moment