Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First negative preview of GW2?

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Adhesive33

Same website that gave TOR a 9.0 rating. Not too concerned. 

That about says it ALL, in my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Originally posted by PukeBucket

PVE is always simple menial crap in MMOs.

The pvp is all I'm worried about and the game play mechanics to get me there. If the questing system keeps me out of too many hubs and running all over the place for turn ins I could care less.

PvP, Customization, Sandbox content. Not necessarily a sandbox game per say just some sandbox content in a game is what will really draw my interest. Personal territory control, non linear gameplay etc. Tera has some end game conflict/territory control stuff im interested in, and the combat is exciting, but the leveling and one class per character is kind of a let down, but who knows, maybe the end game will be all worth it. 

what does GW2 have? W vs W vs W?... hmmmm.. well why?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by just1opinion

but it's just 1 opinion!

:)

lol sorry always wanted to do that to you.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Kilrain

Originally posted by Xerith

Every game ever made is going to have negative previews, its bound to happen with GW2, especially as more and more people are let into beta. Some people won't like it, some people will bash it to just try to be cool, all you can do is make up your own mind by watching videos/trying it yourself. 

You're stating that evertying negative is someone trying to be cool. When the fact is, there will be people that like it, people that don't like it, "fanboys" that can't dislike it, and haters that can't like it. Period. 

He made a post that stated his opionion but if  you read past the opinion and look at it for what its really worth he's saying that the quest system is basically the same as has always been done and nothing new to see. The quests sytem isn't the only thing that needs to be judged, however. I personally would like to see/hear what the game plays like, feels like from both perspectives. 

The funny thing is, it's sometimes easier to spot haters fanboys based on the responses than it is from the reviews themselves :) 

If you care, I'm on the fence, nothing good or bad to say. I'm waiting until release to judge but based on ALL reviews I've seen, there isn't anything revolutionary here, though it could be a fun game. Time will tell :)

It's a good point about his opinion of the quest system, but I have to defer to TotalBiscuit on this one since I know his style far more than than this reviewer who I've never read before.  TB actually says something quite similar about the activities in the DEs being familiar, but there something more to it that makes the entire experience unique and engaging.  And I know he's totally into it because he's giddy as a schoolgirl when he describes it.  Anything that can make the Cynical Brit gush like a fanboi is something worth further scrutiny.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

IT seems like we have went through the overhyping of games so many times that its just hard to believe any of them anymore.......THe problem with doing this is no game can live up to this and when we actually play it then its a letdown.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

just as a point.. the writer who gave swtor 9.0 was a different writer who reviewed / previewed gw2, that being said i personally dont think he is quite correct with his statement, although i cant really say why :)

Originally posted by Monorojo

Ive heard numerous negative reports concerning this game and I have also heard that the game is pay to win (due to the cash shop holding items that will give players serious time advantages over other players.)

This is really a bummer. I was looking forward to this game but now I am going to avoid it like the plague. My friends who were excited about it are the same way. Anet really screwed the pooch on this one.

first off none of the items in the current cash shop offer a *Huge* advantage at best they're convienience items.. second it's beta, whats in now isnt garaunteed to be whats in the cash shop at launch.. and even from whats been shown so far it's not at all pay to win

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by mbrodie

just as a point.. the writer who gave swtor 9.0 was a different writer who reviewed / previewed gw2, that being said i personally dont think he is quite correct with his statement, although i cant really say why :)

Hmm, playing coy, huh?  Me wonders why...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I think the guy was swinging for a fly ball that had already went foul, (IE his impressions were weak) but I don't see how a TOR review written by someone else plays into this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by mbrodie

Ive heard numerous negative reports concerning this game and I have also heard that the game is pay to win (due to the cash shop holding items that will give players serious time advantages over other players.)

This is really a bummer. I was looking forward to this game but now I am going to avoid it like the plague. My friends who were excited about it are the same way. Anet really screwed the pooch on this one.

first off none of the items in the current cash shop offer a *Huge* advantage at best they're convienience items.. second it's beta, whats in now isnt garaunteed to be whats in the cash shop at launch.. and even from whats been shown so far it's not at all pay to win

the items in question also drop in game.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

I gather from this topic that everyone seems to HATE SWTOR and still have high hopes for GW2... I do too dont get me wrong, but lately Secret World seems to tickle my fancy even more! In fact, I think i'll buy GW2 and then sub for Secret World and those would be my only games :) Of course after my two-month membership for SWTOR ends...

Let us say though that at least SWTOR has better cutscenes than GW2 and everyone unanimously agrees on that point.. minor but a point nevertheless...

"Personal quests are cinematic in nature but don’t think Star Wars: The Old Republic here. The cut scene backgrounds are static and unmoving. The only thing happening is a conversation between your character and the NPC detailing the quest. Honestly, I have to say that, while nice from a story perspective, I’m not overly impressed with the way these are presented. I found the characters to be stiff and pretty uninteresting to look at in the early personal quests. In some ways it seems like an unnecessary feature but maybe that’s just me. I do like hearing more of the story and the “why” behind what I’m being asked to do."

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by nationalcity

He's entilted to his opinions just like everyone...

It's not that, is just that his opinions are contradictory. Anyway, I think the reviewers for each were different people so we can't really make the connection.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

[Mod Edit]

It is even more hilarious when they found it that the individual who reviewed SWTOR isnt the same one who reviewed GW2.

But im sure they will still put on their fanboi glasses and ignore anything even remotely negative about a game they have never even played before.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by Distopia

I think the guy was swinging for a fly ball that had already went foul, (IE his impressions were weak) but I don't see how a TOR review written by someone else plays into this.

For me, it just shows that we have different tastes in games, so I put less weight in the review.

It's also strange that points of criticism aimed at GW2 weren't also aimed at TOR.

Regarding the authorship, the actual review looks to be ghost written, but the same author did write a preview piece that put TOR in a very favorable light. 

[Mod Edit]

It is even more hilarious when they found it that the individual who reviewed SWTOR isnt the same one who reviewed GW2.

But im sure they will still put on their fanboi glasses and ignore anything even remotely negative about a game they have never even played before.

Its human nature. Its the pattern I've been observing over and over again... I learned to stop hyping anything up... (see ME3 enging fiasco...)... lets just say GW2 is trying something different and it's good enough to be considered a deviation from the traditional MMO formula in SOME ways.. I won't know how good it is until I play it for myself

[Mod Edit]

you're assuming a heap of us in this thread havent played beta... even if we had of played it this past weekend we cant say so.. so maybe people saying that he is wrong did play.. or didnt we'll never really know... point is, that doesnt mean that the site wasnt "endorsed" to give swtor a high score, because just like a tonne of other reviews on ToR it just seemed like a featurelist given by bioware and some prerendered screenshots.. no real feel to it like the person has actually played the game past level 10 or dedicated any real time to it

For me, it just shows that we have different tastes in games, so I put less weight in the review.

It's also strange that points of criticism aimed at GW2 weren't also aimed at TOR.

Regarding the authorship, the actual review looks to be ghost written, but the same author did write a preview piece that put TOR in a very favorable light. 

While I understand your point here, I think it has more to do with expectation. Many seem to have this idea that GW2 is nothing like any MMO out there, "it's all new" seems to be the mindset going in for these peeps. Everyone knew this wasn't the case for TOR, hence no backlash toward a misconception.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm sure as heck not getting GW2 after reading this preview from my favorite site that I totally didn't just hear of for the first time today, BEEFJACK.com.

Forget that Total Biscuit guy anyway, since when has he ever liked a good game?

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Kind of like how some people will put on their h8ter glasses and scream about anything they can find bad about a game they have never even played before.

That road goes both ways mate.

On topic:

Awesome, someone didn't like a game. Let's bake him a cake!

If anyone is bothered by a review then they are simply taking themselves and the game they are rooting for way too seriously. Not everyone is going to like the game, and honestly that's fine with me. GW2 looks fairly interesting so I'll be playing it; and I don't need every review site on the net to tell me I made the right choice.

While I understand your point here, I think it has more to do with expectation. Many seem to have this idea that GW2 is nothing like any MMO out there, "it's all new" seems to be the thought going in for these peeps. Everyone knew this wasn't the case for TOR, hence no backlash toward a misconception.

GW2 is not reinventing the wheel that's for sure. It is merely improving on something that's been pretty stale. Its not revolutionary, more of an evolutionary step in the right direction. There is still a long way to go for any one game to revolutionize the genre completely.

GW2 is not sandbox+themepark for instance, its just a really nice themepark ride with extra polish that other games lack

While I understand your point here, I think it has more to do with expectation. Many seem to have this idea that GW2 is nothing like any MMO out there, "it's all new" seems to be the thought going in for these peeps. Everyone knew this wasn't the case for TOR, hence no backlash toward a misconception.

^^^ i agree with this, thinking the game is gonna be some new genre which couldnt even be classed as an MMO because of how different it is to anything before it is a bad misconception or even expectation to have... all the information available still shows the game as a MMORPG, some slight sandboxy feeling elements too it, but still looks to play like a standard MMO... there is still questing, still PvP, still classes, races etc... people need to have a realistic expectation of the game knowing it's still an MMORPG then they can see the game for it's actual worth and probably have a much better time playing it

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I just don't understand why just because the guy didn't like it means that he should be bashed and criticized.. 

I mean so what? Why does it affect anyone who wants to play the game in the least it makes no sense...

I guess every preview of the game has to be wonderful and rosy which would actually make me worry that the game is too good to be true....

Haven't we learned anything from Hyping a game too much by now?  they can never live up to it....

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

[Mod Edit]

But as a website that reviews games, then how i see it as that website as a whole, feels like sw:tor is a 9.0, so that website, as a whole, feels like GW2 is what that review said, that is my standpoint, i know it wasn't the SAME person, but it's the same website. and SW:TOR isn't a 9, maybe a 7.6ish, but 9 is fanboi status.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by dimasok

GW2 is not reinventing the wheel that's for sure. It is merely improving on something that's been pretty stale. Its not revolutionary, more of an evolutionary step in the right direction. There is still a long way to go for any one game to revolutionize the genre completely.

GW2 is not sandbox+themepark for instance, its just a really nice themepark ride with extra polish that other games lack

Exactly.. Too bad all do not realize this, it might keep previews like this from happening.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

While I understand your point here, I think it has more to do with expectation. Many seem to have this idea that GW2 is nothing like any MMO out there, "it's all new" seems to be the mindset going in for these peeps. Everyone knew this wasn't the case for TOR, hence no backlash toward a misconception.

Right, but if the reviewer's inability to keep his expectations in check is the reason for the poor review, than the review becomes even less meaningful to me. 

This discussion has been closed.