Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arenanet bought Ipads for all 200 employees as a Christmas gift

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

"Everyone here at ArenaNet received iPads during our 2010 holiday party". According to a gamebreaker's interview they had 270 employees. I heard they had around the 200s for a while. Costs of Ipads at launch: ~$500. Multiply that by 200 for a too fair estimate and you got 100k. They don't seem like the poor victims, millions of players are giving them $60 a box now are they? They shouldn't have before.

http://www.arena.net/blog/join-the-club-arenanet-coder-launches-sketch-club-app is the official blog, which says it.

Oh poor Anet, whatever will they do when they develop an expansion and charge us $50 for it? How will they pay for future development? Ignore the profit they just made from the box sales of course, the devil known as the players take that while Arenanet sits in rags.

Modern games give WAYYY more profit than their SNES counterparts. More players, gaming is mainstream now. Hey, even the developers get to act like celebrities now instead of programing the game, see Arenanet. In the old days, we didn't have developers doing that, they got magazine interviews rarely and more of a preview/review of the GAME. No flying all over the country, to Europe and Korea.

We must unite, brothers! To defeat the cash shop menace! Twitter @GuildWars2 or go to their facebook page and post your outrage!

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I have to ask, is grasping at straws for any possible avenue to attack Guild Wars 2 and Arenanet really that fun to be trying so hard at it?

My company gave me a Ham for Christmas AND we had a big Holiday party with food and drinks.

We have 10 employees.

Does that mean I'm a celebrity too?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    $500 bonus, it's hardly wall street.
  • RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

You know, some of those will be used for testing for outside game interaction! :p

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

God forbid a company (and a profitable one at that) give their employees something.  I'm certainly glad MINE did, my $2000 Christmas bonus paid nicely for my spring vacation!

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50

I suppose they should've sold out to Activision instead, then Booby Kotick could've wiped his ass with the $100K, and laid off half of them.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

In the vein of "If they dont have a Cash shop how will Anet survive"- This makes alot of sense.

Yes, its ridiculous- But no more ridiculous than the folks screaming that Anet NEEDS a CASH shop or they will be in the Welfare line...

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Is this seriously a thread saying that Anet makes too much money because they bought their employees an Ipad? Why not take your energy and go bark at the financial people that made $5 million in bonuses even though they are responsable for the economic mess we are in and were part of failing companies. 

Because working hard on a game for the past several years doesnt warrent any type of bonus. These threads are getting out of hand and are just silly now. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, I got an i-pad as a holiday bonus in my last job and it wasn't really a big deal. A nice gesture though.

I mean, companies do give holiday bonuses, there is nothing new here. Why shouldn't employees get holiday bonuses or bonuses for doing good work.

Who here has turned down their holiday bonus?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by Xerith

Why not take your energy and go bark at the financial people that made $5 million in bonuses even though they are responsable for the economic mess we are in and were part of failing companies. 

Because working hard on a game for the past several years doesnt warrent any type of bonus. These threads are getting out of hand and are just silly now. 

[Mod Edit]

As for the second part, they deserve a bonus. Just don't squeeze the players to make up for their fun time expenses. I payed $60. That's more than a Free to play game ever gets. Don't add a F2P cash shop unless the game is free.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

OMG a company that cares for its employees and gives them nice shiny bonuses at christmas. I never troll but what the heck is this thread?!

They can give their employees whatever they want, it makes them happy thus more productive and loyal to their employers.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Betakodo

Why not take your energy and go bark at the financial people that made $5 million in bonuses even though they are responsable for the economic mess we are in and were part of failing companies. 

[Mod Edit]

As for the second part, they deserve a bonus. Just don't squeeze the players to make up for their fun time expenses. I payed $60. That's more than a Free to play game ever gets. Don't add a F2P cash shop unless the game is free.

I'm sure you have paid nothing yet ??....So whats' your point if you don't like the game don't buy it !

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

[Mod Edit]

This has to be a joke right?

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

[Mod Edit]

This has to be a joke right?

No. We are going to purchase Guild wars 2 for $60 and hold an online sit in to protest their greed... This will show em.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Ipad bad, Asus Transformer Prime GOOD.

What were they thinking!!!!

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

ill just point out and say anet never paid or will pay street price for hardware such as computers/ipads/any IT stuff,

atleast get your facts straight

this is hardly on topic but they either have constant supplier or they hold contest ( which supplier offers best price, that one gets deal ) , not to mention its bulk

just so you dont whine about 500, 400 was totally tops for those ipads , and who cares seriously this is one stupid topic

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175

You know what else?  I heard that Anet gives their employees checks every Friday they can take to a bank and exchange for cash!!!  That's coming straight from our wallets!!!

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't like Apple and find people using the products idiots.

Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be the best mmorpg in years.

Does not compute!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Cosmonaut79

You know what else?  I heard that Anet gives there employees checks every Friday they can take to a bank and exchange for cash!!!  That's coming straight from our wallets!!!

LOL

Ya, I agree with you, this thread is stupid beyond belief.  I got 2000 dollar "gifts" from Hallmark Cards when I was working there....cash bonuses at Christmas time.  So what?  Back then the company was well off and treated their employees like gold.  That was when J.C. Hall was still alive.  I'm sure now it's different.  MOST companies that are decent companies to work for treat their employees well.  This is a reason for us to have a hissy fit, WHY?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

[Mod Edit]

Do you give your christmas bonus to charitiy?  I want to GIVE my money to a company that takes care of it's employees instead of laying them off for christmas.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Smikis

ill just point out and say anet never paid or will pay street price for hardware such as computers/ipads/any IT stuff,

atleast get your facts straight

this is hardly on topic but they either have constant supplier or they hold contest ( which supplier offers best price, that one gets deal ) , not to mention its bulk

just so you dont whine about 500, 400 was totally tops for those ipads , and who cares seriously this is one stupid topic

exactly, and I'd wager its a rather large discount considering its at bulk.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

I have to take garbage home from work every day to throw it out here, kind of sad ANet is doing the same thing to their employees.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Thank you OP, for this wonderful example of why we should never post while under the influence of alcohol and/or other intoxicating substances.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Yaos

I have to take garbage home from work every day to throw it out here, kind of sad ANet is doing the same thing to their employees.

lmao

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Employee happiness has always mattered to them.

I mean, they're a company that doesn't believe in cubicles. That's something that made me smile from ear to ear.

There's a lot to love in that respect.

---

Also, giving a shit about employee happiness even at the expense of the business is now evil according to some of the people in this thread.

Another blow to my faith in humanity! Wow, some of you guys are on a roll.

I'm sorry, but... ... ... I don't know how to follow that up. I don't have the words.

But thanks for reminding me of why I hate interacting with traditional MMORPG fans.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

"wow" for ipads..

Notch (the guy who made minecraft) split 3 million between 25 employees as a bonus

http://www.gamesta.com/notch-shares-3-million-dollars-with-mojang-employees/

come back when you've something "interesting" to share.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.