Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: So Much to Do in Tyria

Comments

• hulik23hulik23 Member Posts: 45

I simply can´t stop laughing everytime I read about Guild Wars 2 from noobs in forums. no subs, no raids, endgame...oh yeah that means the game will suck :-D jesus :-D you are so brainwashed from every crap out there on market you won´t see cow 20cm away from your head. if u´ve never played guild wars - prophecies, nightfall, factions, eotn GO AND BUY IT, play it at least for 2months for god sakes and learn it´s rules and "how to..."! so many pointless threads made from those people who never played original series and are so clever about gw2.

GW, that game sold over 6mil copies and it has no end-game, no subs, no raids and everyone from those 6m ppl who bought it loved it including me. you will finaly realize why is so stupid to write about endgame in guild wars 2 etc. I´ve never felt that before but now I´m starting to hate noobs. It was all in Guild Wars before but it´s polished in gw2. Ok, dynamic events are new but the basics remains there and r kicking every GW veteran into eyes so we can say: "hooray, our precious is back and even more polished". My only fear about gw 2 is that I will be filling my ignore list with people shouting in chat: "who is healing???? separate bosses, tank the left one! how many flies do i need to kill before it drops quest item or my quest is done??? what are you doing you noob with that sword if you are ranger??! why r u wearing light armor if u r warrior??! go away u leecher!!! what build r u running noob??!... etc."

if you recognized yourself in those questions, send me PM with your planned name in GW 2 and I´ll start with my ignore list right now because I´m fed up with noobs! GW was about freedom (I was always running MY build), doing things differently (I used healing staff on my ranger 80% of time, hammer 10% and bow 10%), it was revolution (tons of things to do after max lvl that game practicaly started after max level!!!) but forgotten in time till now because of GW2. In best case, please don´t even buy this game for peace of every GW veteran player if u r stuck in times of wow.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by dzoni87

Every single game gets old. No game can hold an interest forever.

While maybe true in a poetic 'of the moment sense' for some, I would beg to differ vastly.  Every game gets old.  Every game loses some interest, but some games do hold some folk's interest forever.  Doesn't mean they will play it every day, maybe just once a year or even every few years, but some, occasional interest is interest nonetheless :)

In reference to GW2 though, I can see it not holding my interest for long - but being worth the cost.  Odd for a game not even out, but with MMO experience comes rationalization? acceptance? 'old man syndrome' ? who knows, but there will be interest to be had regardless.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by hulik23

I simply can´t stop laughing everytime I read about Guild Wars 2 from noobs in forums. no subs, no raids, endgame...oh yeah that means the game will suck :-D jesus :-D you are so brainwashed from every crap out there on market you won´t see cow 20cm away from your head. if u´ve never played guild wars - prophecies, nightfall, factions, eotn GO AND BUY IT, play it at least for 2months for god sakes and learn it´s rules and "how to..."! so many pointless threads made from those people who never played original series and are so clever about gw2.

GW, that game sold over 6mil copies and it has no end-game, no subs, no raids and everyone from those 6m ppl who bought it loved it including me. you will finaly realize why is so stupid to write about endgame in guild wars 2 etc. I´ve never felt that before but now I´m starting to hate noobs. It was all in Guild Wars before but it´s polished in gw2. Ok, dynamic events are new but the basics remains there and r kicking every GW veteran into eyes so we can say: "hooray, our precious is back and even more polished". My only fear about gw 2 is that I will be filling my ignore list with people shouting in chat: "who is healing???? separate bosses, tank the left one! how many flies do i need to kill before it drops quest item or my quest is done??? what are you doing you noob with that sword if you are ranger??! why r u wearing light armor if u r warrior??! go away u leecher!!! what build r u running noob??!... etc."

if you recognized yourself in those questions, send me PM with your planned name in GW 2 and I´ll start with my ignore list right now because I´m fed up with noobs! GW was about freedom (I was always running MY build), doing things differently (I used healing staff on my ranger 80% of time, hammer 10% and bow 10%), it was revolution (tons of things to do after max lvl that game practicaly started after max level!!!) but forgotten in time till now because of GW2. In best case, please don´t even buy this game for peace of every GW veteran player if u r stuck in times of wow.

Just a little advise, guy...comparing GW2 to GW is not only inaccurate, it's pretty much the wrong way to hype this game up.  Guild Wars sucked balls.  Most people that are curious about trying this game out, myself included, are doing so because it's supposed to be DIFFERENT than Guild Wars.  

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Originally posted by Yauchy

Every single game gets old. No game can hold an interest forever.

While maybe true in a poetic 'of the moment sense' for some, I would beg to differ vastly.  Every game gets old.  Every game loses some interest, but some games do hold some folk's interest forever.  Doesn't mean they will play it every day, maybe just once a year or even every few years, but some, occasional interest is interest nonetheless :)

In reference to GW2 though, I can see it not holding my interest for long - but being worth the cost.  Odd for a game not even out, but with MMO experience comes rationalization? acceptance? 'old man syndrome' ? who knows, but there will be interest to be had regardless.

Al that i can say, is that i partially agree with some of your points here. There can always be game that you will return from time to time. Heck, even nowadays i return to Diablo 1, for instance. However i was refering to "playing it most of the time" type of interest. No matter how the 'perfect' game will be for your taste, it will get that strange "same old" feeling.

Regarding GW2, I can see myself playing it for quite some time, maybe longer than many recent MMORPGs that i played (if i am about to judge it by what i saw and what i liked there). However, will it be my 'game of the decade', only time will tell.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• hulik23hulik23 Member Posts: 45

send me your planned name for GW 2 because u r the first one i***t I am going to put on my ignore list since first day. Advise from you? OMG :-D rolling on the floor laughing at your stuipidity :-D

meant for nick cthultu23

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

everyone from those 6m ppl who bought it loved it including me

Please make that 5.999.999 and maybe follow a crash course "Speaking For Myself And Not For Others".

• JarinJarin Member UncommonPosts: 49

You don’t have to have a degree in Quantum Physics or Nuclear Science to figure out how to use skills and to use them effectively. With a limited number available to have active at any given time, it’s quite easy to get into the world and start fighting. You can watch your skills progress right on your action bar as the hotkey shows what percentage of the skill is complete. As soon as that baby lights up, WHOMP! You can use it immediately without having to hunt it down in your skills menu. Of course all skills can be mixed and matched but the starter set is pretty effective at the get-go.For those with a more detailed oriented view of gaming, the skill and trait systems offer a wealth of micromanagement joy. There are so many skills and so many ways to apply them that it’s going to take a long while for the Flavor of the Week builds to start showing up. For those of a serious skill building mind set,

Does this mean that there are more skills for one weapon that what's unlocked on the action bar?  I was under the impression that only skills on the right side of the bar could be switched out.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by DarkPony

Please make that 5.999.999 and maybe follow a crash course "Speaking For Myself And Not For Others".

<chuckles>

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

What's end game like if you don't have any interest in PVP?

Oh my god lol. They never stop ha ha ha! The stagnation of the mmo world has really left its mark on so many minds

So nothing?

Dynamic events sounds cool for leveling, after that well meh.

Oh my god lol. They never stop ha ha ha! The stagnation of the mmo world has really left its mark on so many minds

So nothing?

You will have those dungeons, if you prefer 5-man dungeon content. If you dont, well i dont know what to say, then maybe you are right afterall....

So nothing?

You will have those dungeons, if you prefer 5-man dungeon content. If you dont, well i dont know what to say, then maybe you are right afterall....

I don't know.  I haven't studied this game in depth but I have zero interest in PVP after getting the grinding hell title of High Warlord in vanilla WOW.  I'd rather return to FPS games if I want to flex PVP epeen as they are much more fun for me.

I just haven't heard much that interests me for GW2 endgame and the question was sincere.

Only providing 5 man dungeons at endgame seems like a major design flaw to me.  But they have their priorities.

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

[Mod Edit]

The guy just said not everyone who bought guild wars 1 likes it. 

You claimed everyone who did buy it loved. Which one is more likely do you think.?

Guild Wars 2 is a lot like GUild wars 1 in itemization and structured PVP. 

These are the two things about guildwars 1 that i hoped they would have changed. Give guidlwars 1 a drop system like diablo 2 and I would still be there playing it right now. I actually restarted guildwars 1 when sorrows furnace dropped I thought they were making room in the game for more interesting and powerful items but i stopped again when i realised it was just a bait and switch.

But thats just me....and my opinion matters because I choose how I spend money based on what i think I will find fun. 

So nothing?

I don't know.  I haven't studied this game in depth but I have zero interest in PVP after getting the grinding hell title of High Warlord in vanilla WOW.  I'd rather return to FPS games if I want to flex PVP epeen as they are much more fun for me.

I just haven't heard much that interests me for GW2 endgame and the question was sincere.

Only providing 5 man dungeons at endgame seems like a major design flaw to me.  But they have their priorities.

Actually you will have end-game (oh well, if you still like to call them end-game, because i wouldnt) events consisting of Massive Boss/Dragon battles, that looks like 25 man raids. But they are not instanced, unlike ussuall MMORPG, so you may not find them that appealing, for they are still put in open world instead in the depths of the dungeon.

Even that 5 man Dungeons have multiple ways of sovling. However, they DID stated for dungeons to be ultimate PvE challenge for hardcore crowd.

You may or may not like those, however you may do some detailed search about those PvE contents, if you desire so. To each their own.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

[Mod Edit]

That's an awesome reply. Made me laugh for a full minute, even. Thanks <3

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

This ^ was done to prove a point - if you break something down enough, get SO incredibly detailed, you can find a way to pretty much discount anything.

Well yes, EVE has a sharded (but persistant) universe. But allow me to disprove your proving of a point by going even further, Spock :)

The PVP in EVE is what most people refer to as "open". You are in fact able to attack anyone, anywhere, anytime (except for docked peoples), only in high sec the consequences are kind of brutal if you didn't bribe concord with a little war dec ISK, in low sec gate guns will fire on you and you still get a sec hit, but most systems (0.0 + W-space) are completely FFA.

Also, talking about persistance: EVE is ONE "server" (I know, technically it isn't but you know what I mean: one world, one community).

If you'd impose the GW2 model on EVE you'd have to disable pvp in all but a few systems and have people fight for control and over premade objectives, (rather than their own, player made ones) in just those few systems ... and reset everything after two week periods ...

Imagine that. Haha! I pitty the dev who would have to announce such a measure to the EVE community :)

Anyway, you can't really compare them. We can either keep going on with the semantics debate on what "instance" means or let it slide. I prefered the latter option.

Exactly, so do I.

My point, and your excellent counter point all reinforce my point - it's all semantics.

Just a whole lot of negative people in the world who will pounce on the tiniest little detail to somehow one-up someone else and "win" ... something.

What are they trying to win? The heart and soul of every MMO gamer?

• This game is becoming very interesting to me. I've never played the original, and the payment model is much different than anything I've experienced in an mmo before. It seems to have worked out pretty well for the original, though.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Sawtooth

This game is becoming very interesting to me. I've never played the original, and the payment model is much different than anything I've experienced in an mmo before. It seems to have worked out pretty well for the original, though.

Be careful, on these forums, anything positive and you'll probably be pounced on.

Should probably ask GW1 veterans how they have felt being fleeced since 2005 with the GW1 P2W cash shop.

Homes tripple reverse mortaged to buy +10% loot drop chance to be the best at PvP in the world.

Sold own children to slavery to pay for that extra character slot.

(Obviously sarcastic)

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I do hope Anet can do a better job than the original guildwars, I lasted just over a week of playing that until I uninstalled.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by sancher36

I do hope Anet can do a better job than the original guildwars, I lasted just over a week of playing that until I uninstalled.

You are joking right? The original GW was a very high quality game. It might have not been to your tastes, but doesn't mean it was bad.

GW2 is going to be much more "mainstream", unlike GW1 which was quite a relatively niche game.

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

I've stopped reading pr0n completely and just come to mmorpg.com to read Guild Wars 2 articles to get off.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

GW1 was a bit harsh if you did not have a decent character/team/hero build, which lead to quitting in frustration for some. If you use a decent character/hero build, you can pretty much do all of the game's content with just your heroes. But to get to that point requires a bit of traveling between different campaigns in order to acquire various skills.

With that being said, it seems that GW2 is much more accessible than it's predecessor as far as gameplay goes, which is a good thing. Hopefully it'll be one of those "easy to get into, hard to master" deals.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by hypersan

[Mod Edit]

The guy just said not everyone who bought guild wars 1 likes it. 

You claimed everyone who did buy it loved. Which one is more likely do you think.?

Guild Wars 2 is a lot like GUild wars 1 in itemization and structured PVP. 

These are the two things about guildwars 1 that i hoped they would have changed. Give guidlwars 1 a drop system like diablo 2 and I would still be there playing it right now. I actually restarted guildwars 1 when sorrows furnace dropped I thought they were making room in the game for more interesting and powerful items but i stopped again when i realised it was just a bait and switch.

But thats just me....and my opinion matters because I choose how I spend money based on what i think I will find fun. 

You are a lot like me then. I don't know what populare opinion is or not over this, but I to feel they rid a number of things I liked and kept several things I didn't. Pretty surprised by many decisions and can see GW1 being the better game.

So nothing?

Actually you will have end-game (oh well, if you still like to call them end-game, because i wouldnt) events consisting of Massive Boss/Dragon battles, that looks like 25 man raids. But they are not instanced, unlike ussuall MMORPG, so you may not find them that appealing, for they are still put in open world instead in the depths of the dungeon.

Even that 5 man Dungeons have multiple ways of sovling. However, they DID stated for dungeons to be ultimate PvE challenge for hardcore crowd.

You may or may not like those, however you may do some detailed search about those PvE contents, if you desire so. To each their own.

If there are levels, then there is end game.  Depending on your play style and the game they may not actually look different.  I'm not looking for hardcore anything.  I just want to have enough stuff to do that has nothing to do with PVP and have some sort of reward for doing it.  For me, I'd likely roll an alt rather than play an MMO at max level where you don't really progress your gear outside of PVP.

World bosses can be tricky.  Do they spawn randomly and fairly rarely?  If so then that's a turn off for anyone that isn't in the group that "tags" it.  Assuming they use those mechanics.

I'll almost certainly buy GW2 after I become bored of D3.  But if D3 wasn't around the corner I'm not sure I'd buy GW2 on release at full price.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Originally posted by fundayz

You are joking right? The original GW was a very high quality game. It might have not been to your tastes, but doesn't mean it was bad.

GW2 is going to be much more "mainstream", unlike GW1 which was quite a relatively niche game.

Yeah maybe just wasn't my thing

I remember going out and buying it along with all the expansions but once it came to playing it I just couldn't stick at it for long. I am more into LOTRO and EVE.

I never liked all the instancing in how it was setup. I will give the new gw2 a go once its out but not sure how long I will last playing it.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

So nothing?

If there are levels, then there is end game.  Depending on your play style and the game they may not actually look different.  I'm not looking for hardcore anything.  I just want to have enough stuff to do that has nothing to do with PVP and have some sort of reward for doing it.  For me, I'd likely roll an alt rather than play an MMO at max level where you don't really progress your gear outside of PVP.

World bosses can be tricky.  Do they spawn randomly and fairly rarely?  If so then that's a turn off for anyone that isn't in the group that "tags" it.  Assuming they use those mechanics.

I'll almost certainly buy GW2 after I become bored of D3.  But if D3 wasn't around the corner I'm not sure I'd buy GW2 on release at full price.

First, let me just correct one thing: there is no "group that tags it." Everyone who participates gets rewarded based on their contribution. There is no competition for loot or mobs. If you're there and actively participating, you're get something.

From what I understand, world bosses spawn after a certain zone criteria is met. At any given time, in all zones, there are multiple events going on. Some of those events lead to other events, depending on the outcome of the previous event. Eventually those series of events would lead to some type of world boss fight which would require lots of people to beat.

As far as levels go, I believe that they are similar to how levels were in GW1. Levels in GW1 really didn't mean anything. The max level was 20 and what separated you from other players was your character build and your ability to use it. In GW2 levels basically open up more zones, content and skills but you can always revisit lower level zones and participate in the events there. Your character will actually get "downgraded" depending on the zone. So if you're level 50 and go into a level 20 zone, the game will lower your atributes to that of a level 20 character. The only difference is that you will be able to use more skills, since at level 50 you have much more skills unlocked.