Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Competitive PVP Preview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

During this past weekend's beta event, we had a team with boots on the ground to bring our readers great coverage of Guild Wars 2. In this feature, we take a look at the instanced PvP areas in Guild Wars 2. Read on and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

I spent this weekend in PvP for Guild Wars 2. After playing World vs. World most of Saturday it was time to try out the Instanced Competitive PvP zones. There are two in the game: Forest of Niflhel and the Battle for Kyhlo. Both of these zones are fast and furious. The games are quick and a great way to experience the classes you might want to play. You can enter PvP at level 2 and the instanced matches boost you up to 80 to experience some hard hitting play.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Guild Wars 2: Competitive PVP Preview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

FINISH THEM!! [F] :)

• AtlantisGERAtlantisGER Member Posts: 5

This video made me nearly shout at the my monitor "Hit the freaking F-Button!". Glad i didn't do that, awesome to see footage of the game but for real... i mean it's one thing to now know anything about the game and playing it, but it's also another thing not to be able to read stuff on the screen appearing ...

Either you are playing blind (which would be impressiv) or have a tunnel-effect while playing games (where i would suggest you to stop playing)

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by AtlantisGER

This video made me nearly shout at the my monitor "Hit the freaking F-Button!". Glad i didn't do that, awesome to see footage of the game but for real... i mean it's one thing to now know anything about the game and playing it, but it's also another thing not to be able to read stuff on the screen appearing ...

Either you are playing blind (which would be impressiv) or have a tunnel-effect while playing games (where i would suggest you to stop playing)

The reviewer is a clicker, so hitting [F] isn't as easy as it sounds o_O.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

That video was like the Casuals guide to pvp in  gw2.

• ThestacheThestache Member UncommonPosts: 35

This video made me nearly shout at the my monitor "Hit the freaking F-Button!". 

LOL, I was thinking the same thing

• mbeach90266mbeach90266 Member UncommonPosts: 13

The whole time I was thinking "I thought they said they had an instant Finisher for pvp".  Lol, guess I was right.

To the OP:  Thanks for sharing just the same.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

MMORPG PLEASE READ THIS AND NEVER LET THE GUY WHO MADE THAT VIDEO.

He is annoying, shouts alot, and I could have played better with my eyes closed than he did which made it hard to see if that style of pvp was any fun at all.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Helen Keller would have a rough time watching this guy play a game.

My wife, the ultimate carebear who thought the WOW Arcane mage was too complex, says he made her feel Leet.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

this is PvP, if you like Warriors + Hammers, you will like this:

http://youtu.be/a5btWctwe3c

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Ranger pet Owl: "Fly my beauty, FLY!" Structured PvP looks awesome.

"This fighting for his life stuff, changes pvp a bit."

Think this could be really interesting feature in pvp.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

This was a bad example of PvP.. didn't use the self heal properly and ran instead. No proper use of weapon swapping (never swapped mid battle when one had a lot of cooldowns up). No elite skill chosen. No pet swapping when the pet died or use of the pets F2 skill. Didn't finish off enemies properly using F, damaged them down instead.. embarassing and not pointing out a major feature. Chased after players with the greatsword most of the time instead of using the leap skill. Didn't use dodge anywhere near as much as they could/should. Almost completely ignored the two utility skills on 8 + 9.

I know this video isn't about the ability of the player but still... it doesn't portray in any way what the flow of PvP will be like. Definately a rushed job.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • oddbat1334oddbat1334 Member Posts: 33

I'm going to be the nice one here and just assume that he can do better, while adding in that he was just preoccupied and/or probably drunk.

• KhetnenKhetnen Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by agriffin85

My guess is clicking "Finish Them [F]" would work... (haven't actually played it)

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Khetnen

Originally posted by agriffin85

My guess is clicking "Finish Them [F]" would work... (haven't actually played it)

I didn't even notice the flashing F either.  They should probably make it a little bigger.  Don't clickers play with their left hand on WASD?  F isn't very hard to reach from there.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Awesome article Bad PvP'er.  Please why cant I get to test this stuff.  Can i clikz for betaz invitz?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by BillMurphy

During this past weekend's beta event, we had a team with boots on the ground to bring our readers great coverage of Guild Wars 2. In this feature, we take a look at the instanced PvP areas in Guild Wars 2. Read on and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

I spent this weekend in PvP for Guild Wars 2. After playing World vs. World most of Saturday it was time to try out the Instanced Competitive Structured  PvP zones. There are two in the game: Forest of Niflhel and the Battle for Kyhlo. Both of these zones are fast and furious. The games are quick and a great way to experience the classes you might want to play. You can enter PvP at level 2 and the instanced matches boost you up to 80 to experience some hard hitting play.

While they would be used in competitive pvp, You "hot joined" so its stuctured and not competitive (team based queues, for rank, etc.)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

man i could feel the rage building just watching him pvp to think he could be on my team one day. I think it would be cool to have this video next to maybe a more experianced player so people can see the differance between a casual gamer to a hardcore gamer. How they percieve the game casual to hardcore.