Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Suggestion Box = SWG features

ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

If you read the official forums http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349  you see the features of SWG being asked for with great frequency. I have this imagined idea of the Bioware development team booing and hissing as they hear about these requests. Anyone think BW will isten and actually implement things like player bounties, real player housing, chairs you can sit in, multi-player vehicles, open worlds, real space game?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ignore_me

If you read the official forums http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349  you see the features of SWG being asked for with great frequency. I have this imagined idea of the Bioware development team booing and hissing as they hear about these requests. Anyone think BW will isten and actually implement things like player bounties, real player housing, chairs you can sit in, multi-player vehicles, open worlds, real space game?

I think it would be too much work for a game with a shrinking population that was designed on rails.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I suggested such features for over 2 years on their forum, and I explained in great length why these were needed. If they didn't add it, it is because they did not want it. Nothing tells me they are wiser now. Only when it is too late will they realize it. Maybe not even then.

On the contrary they will focus most likely on "more of the same", aka more Flashpoints, more Operations, more Warzones and more story-story-story.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Well if they lose too many subs, they may be forced to pull an NGE in reverse hehe. That would be interesting.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Elikal

I suggested such features for over 2 years on their forum, and I explained in great length why these were needed. If they didn't add it, it is because they did not want it. Nothing tells me they are wiser now. Only when it is too late will they realize it. Maybe not even then.

On the contrary they will focus most likely on "more of the same", aka more Flashpoints, more Operations, more Warzones and more story-story-story.

Oh that's horrible. If they don't adapt they deserve nothing more than total and complete failure. You are probably right, I think they have an insulated perspective and would be afraid to leave their model.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Well if they lose too many subs, they may be forced to pull an NGE in reverse hehe. That would be interesting.

Awesome! lol

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

If this were the Bioware of old, then yeah, there would be a possibility that they would implement some of the SWG ideas.  Being that this is the bastardized, EA version of Bioware; even if they do implement the ideas, they would be a DLC that, if not purchased, would make the game unplayable.

Personally, my wish list would be as follows -

-More active combat- Take the basic melee/gun fire off the hot bar and add them to the mouse, circa DDO/DCUO, and work in real-time.

-Get a little sand on the rails- Bioware have told their story, now open up the worlds more and let us make our own stories.

-Grouping- You know, give us a real reason to group up instead of just soloing with our A.I. companions.

-Add to PvP- Maybe impactful RvR(vR?).  Something that would make everyone want to participate in PvP.

-Looking for Group- Granted, making grouping more needed would need to happen first.  But having a fully fleshed out LFG panel (Quest name, classes needed, etc) would be a huge improvement.

I know all too well that these are a pipedream and will probably never happen.

Originally posted by Storman1977

If this were the Bioware of old, then yeah, there would be a possibility that they would implement some of the SWG ideas.  Being that this is the bastardized, EA version of Bioware; even if they do implement the ideas, they would be a DLC that, if not purchased, would make the game unplayable.

Personally, my wish list would be as follows -

-More active combat- Take the basic melee/gun fire off the hot bar and add them to the mouse, circa DDO/DCUO, and work in real-time.

-Get a little sand on the rails- Bioware have told their story, now open up the worlds more and let us make our own stories.

-Grouping- You know, give us a real reason to group up instead of just soloing with our A.I. companions.

-Add to PvP- Maybe impactful RvR(vR?).  Something that would make everyone want to participate in PvP.

-Looking for Group- Granted, making grouping more needed would need to happen first.  But having a fully fleshed out LFG panel (Quest name, classes needed, etc) would be a huge improvement.

I know all too well that these are a pipedream and will probably never happen.

this is soo true. I need a break from their story, and it would make it easier on them in the long run.

Oh that's horrible. If they don't adapt they deserve nothing more than total and complete failure. You are probably right, I think they have an insulated perspective and would be afraid to leave their model.

I really, really wish they could be made to understand. Sigh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/342309/page/1

I am a month ahead of you there Mr.

Originally posted by RefMinor

OH DAMN! how did I not see this thread?

good stuff

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DannyGloverWell if they lose too many subs, they may be forced to pull an NGE in reverse hehe. That would be interesting.

haha man I wonder if I posted in that thread. Sleep deprivation is messing with me right now heh

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Maybe if LA hadn't shut down SWG in one of their knee-jerk reactions, they could have promoted those aspects of SWG to those that were looking for them in a Star Wars game and made just as much money...

Originally posted by Obraik

Maybe if LA hadn't shut down SWG in one of their knee-jerk reactions, they could have promoted those aspects of SWG to those that were looking for them in a Star Wars game and made just as much money...

Well I don't see the franchise heading into any other hands for an MMO any time soon, so for now I am wondering what Bioware will do. The conversation wheel has a couple of choices:

1)  Stay the course and do it Their way. Repeat of previous content with higher levels etc.

2)  learn from Sandbox successes and implement them

3)  Hide behind technical excuses and pump it for dough til it dies.

OH DAMN! how did I not see this thread?

good stuff

Hm, a reverse NGE... quite the irony indeedn. But something greatly needed.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

At first I was like "Hilarious, a well-deserved sarcastic reply!"

...but then I was like "wait a sec, he's actually serious..."

Typical rabid customer: If the product isn't made exactly the way I want, the company deserves to experience total failure and burn down in a fire!

Meanwhile in reality, tons of players probably want exactly what ToR is providing.  If Bioware is "insulated", it's behind legions of players paying subscriptions and enjoying the game, who make it hard to hear a few disgruntled MMORPG players who were never interested in ToR in the first place.

And why would they switch?  Ironically chasing after the MMORPG grognard audience would be a SWG-caliber mistake (except it would make even less sense.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Well I don't see the franchise heading into any other hands for an MMO any time soon, so for now I am wondering what Bioware will do. The conversation wheel has a couple of choices:

1)  Stay the course and do it Their way. Repeat of previous content with higher levels etc.

You seem to be under the impression that Bioware has a choice in this.  Bioware is merely along for the ride that is LucasArts' crazy mission to get WoW like numbers in one of their MMO's.  Think of Bioware as the Trade Federation in Phantom Menace and LucasArts as Palpatine.  Like the Trade Federation in the movie was to Palpatine, Bioware is merely a pawn of LucasArts. 

I expect we'll see a crazy number 4 option ;)

Originally posted by Axehilt

Typical rabid customer: If the product isn't made exactly the way I want, the company deserves to experience total failure and burn down in a fire!

Meanwhile in reality, tons of players probably want exactly what ToR is providing.  If Bioware is "insulated", it's behind legions of players paying subscriptions and enjoying the game, who make it hard to hear a few disgruntled MMORPG players who were never interested in ToR in the first place.

And why would they switch?  Ironically chasing after the MMORPG grognard audience would be a SWG-caliber mistake (except it would make even less sense.)

Your honor, I call Axehilt from 2014 as my witness. *activates timemachine*

Axehilt (2014): "OMG, SWTOR now has like 5 servers left! Why didn't they change their game back then!?"

Thanks. Your honor, I rest my case.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Firstly they need to break away from EA, their bloody poison.. Secondly they need to do a FFXIV.. propose a 2.0 patch and start development to a new more snazzy SWG/EVE build.. Real space navigation/combat + the lot! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

Originally posted by Axehilt

It's possible that I am suffering a bit too much from my own perspective here, and there is some exaggeration at work as well. But I think there are just too many "this game lacks substance" testimonies out there (here, on the official forums, in the game, in my guild, reviews, etc.) for it to be purely of my imagination alone.

Those people who want exactly what the game is providing are getting just that, so bully for them. But the question is will the game provide more of the same, or will it evolve. If you add new things will they be akin to the SWG elements or not? An element of the community who pays subscriptions wants the former.  

As for the failure bit, that was an emotional outburst on my part and I have to admit it is not in alignment with reality given the number of still active subs, etc.

You seem to be under the impression that Bioware has a choice in this.  Bioware is merely along for the ride that is LucasArts' crazy mission to get WoW like numbers in one of their MMO's.  Think of Bioware as the Trade Federation in Phantom Menace and LucasArts as Palpatine.  Like the Trade Federation in the movie was to Palpatine, Bioware is merely a pawn of LucasArts. 

I expect we'll see a crazy number 4 option ;)

4) Harvest the Single Player Crowd to draw them away from regular RPGs because ... that's what LA told them to do? Or because they are Bioware and it's their market (fuckin Skyrim!)

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I most likely won't touch the game again until it goes Free to Play.

Such a linear game doesn't deserve a monthly free as far as I'm concerned. I won't pay monthly for a KoTOR 3.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

kid graphics with birght colors usually means the features of the game appeal to the same level of mentality.

didnt like the game the first screenshots I saw of it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

kid graphics with birght colors usually means the features of the game appeal to the same level of mentality.

Although I would like more realistic graphics, I can live with what is there.

In the OP I was bringing up the high volume of SWG features being requested on the SWTOR forums. You have to read the threads, but the requests are there.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

In the OP I was bringing up the high volume of SWG features being requested on the SWTOR forums. You have to read the threads, but the requests are there.

maybe what I am saying is more bias then anything else but I will say I was instantly turned off and had a funny feeling that the game was going to be void of much content just by looking at the screenshots.

That said, I really wish gamers would pay more attention to what the developers are NOT saying about a game release. Reason is, if they would stop buying cr*p maybe developers would stop making it.

Case in point, if a developer doesnt talk about crafting much in pre-release, guess what? the game will not have much crafting. etc.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

maybe what I am saying is more bias then anything else but I will say I was instantly turned off and had a funny feeling that the game was going to be void of much content just by looking at the screenshots.

That said, I really wish gamers would pay more attention to what the developers are NOT saying about a game release. Reason is, if they would stop buying cr*p maybe developers would stop making it.

Case in point, if a developer doesnt talk about crafting much in pre-release, guess what? the game will not have much crafting. etc.

That's a good point. Did you craft in SWG?

This discussion has been closed.