Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason behind the NDA

2»

Comments

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

The NDA is still up so they can continue to sell beta access.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

No it isn't. Pre-purchase only gets you Public Beta access and that isn't under NDA. The closed beta is under NDA and there is no way to guarantee access to that.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

People started bi%^*ing about leaked item shop items few days ago. Some of those items were already changes/removed. This is the reason why there is NDA. Besides GW will lift NDA for players in 2 or 3 weeks. months before release so what's the problem?

Pls. Don't make a fool out of yourself.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

From a business standpoint, it makes sense not to lift the NDA until after the prepurchases go through. I'm a huge GW2 apologist, but even I have to admit this. It only makes sense from a sales position.

The difference between this NDA and more recent NDAs, is that this NDA is clearly being utilized to work out the kinks (toning down the effects, testing dynamic events, the microtransaction shop, etc.) as opposed to hiding things (Ilum, lifeless static worlds, garish end-game clown suits, end-game George Lucas raid boss this November.)

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its simple, while Arenanet is testing some stuff out ( like what to put in the cash shop) and other things arent implemented yet ( like free assignable hotkeys) some people leak information and others make a big deal of it on the forums. An NDA is in place to keep future players from being misinformed by things on the test servers that might never make the final game. So please everyone obey that NDA.

I would agree.

Unless a game is pretty much set in stone, no company shold give out any info unless they truyly think it's not going to change.

To much nonsense on forums, too much of people trying to stir of bad blood when there is no reason.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Right you guys...What was I thinking?

I mean, why would anyone want to keep the game a secret to keep the hype level inflated while they are pedling their access to open beta?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I mean, why would anyone want to keep the game a secret to keep the hype level inflated while they are pedling their access to open beta?

I imagine as soon as the first beta hits after the 10th, the NDA will be gone, they will have to have a near final build in by then...Too many people will be in, and it would be rediculous to still have it, I imagine they are still trying some different builds/ideas before then.

Originally posted by Xthos

I imagine as soon as the first beta hits after the 10th, the NDA will be gone, they will have to have a near final build in by then...Too many people will be in, and it would be rediculous to still have it, I imagine they are still trying some different builds/ideas before then.

I reconize there are many legitimate reasons to have it. And ultiamtely, it's their choice and everyone else just has to deal.

But I also recognize that ANet is not a charity or non profit organization and that everything they do is to max profits.

That said, I think they are doing some fairly underhanded moves, not the worst though. I think selling beta access by including it in pre purchase is definately underhanded and I think that at least in part, the NDA is being used to support this.

I still want to play this game, Albeit, without a cash shop and that won't happen, but I still am going to buy it. (Unless soemthing really blows up from here)

But I refuse to put ANet on a pedistal and I am sorry they are doing the same things I have seen before and those things are somewhat sneaky.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by KingGator

So the NDA is to disguise any fail in the game? Trust me P2W CS is why they're stressing the NDA, if they didn't have that this game would be bullet proof, but like all devs they had to find a way to ruin it.

Just of curiosity, what item spefically do you find P2W in the cash shop?

Also, it seems odd that they would have an NDA to hide a feature that they just advertised with some fairly detailed information not too long ago.

Seems kind of absurd, the lengths people are going over something as standard as an NDA (of which EVERY game has during bea stages). It's simple, they have an NDA because not all the features are locked in yet. They don't want rampant missinformation being spread over things that are still being tweaked. That's all it is, Sadly, that doesn't stop speculators from doing just that anyway.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

While I reconize there are many legitimate reasons to have it. And ultiamtely, it's their choice and everyone else just has to deal.

But I also recognize that ANet is not a charity or non profit organization and that everything they do is to max profits.

That said, I think they are doing some fairly underhanded moves, not the worst though. I think selling beta access by including it in pre purchase is definately underhanded and I think that at least in part, the NDA is being used to support this.

I still want to play this game, Albeit, without a cash shop and that won't happen, but I still am going to buy it.

But I refuse to put ANet on a pedistal and I am sorry they are doing the same things I have seen before and those things are somewhat sneaky.

Yeah, I get what your saying, but I am getting it anyway, I enjoyed GW1 (even though its not a real mmo, imo).  I think this is the new business model that everyone is going to use.  Everyone was pissed when Rift did it (first I remember using marketing/pre-ordering so much to get people into beta)...  It seems to work, and yeah they are in business to make money so they will do it.

I am not thrilled by the cash shop either, but I havent looked into it too much to see how much it effects the game, since gear and such is minimalized, and certain things cannot be obtained from the cash shop that would make it more or less p2w...  I am not hanging on every word they say, I figure I will see for myself.  The quest stuff seems like quest loops that trigger and have multiple outcomes, but still loops...I am mostly interested in the WvWvW, and if it sucks, then I probably will not keep playing it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

The best way to gauge a companies intentions is by what they try to get into the game in Beta.  This is especially true with store items and prices.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The best way to gauge a companies intentions is by what they try to get into the game in Beta.  This is especially true with store items and prices.

If they have the CS running during beta? Not to start something, but if they are going to leave some of the controversial items in the CS, they might not have it in til launch. They couldn't charge anything til then. Unless I misunderstood you post.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I am not thrilled by the cash shop either, but I havent looked into it too much to see how much it effects the game, since gear and such is minimalized, and certain things cannot be obtained from the cash shop that would make it more or less p2w...  I am not hanging on every word they say, I figure I will see for myself.  The quest stuff seems like quest loops that trigger and have multiple outcomes, but still loops...I am mostly interested in the WvWvW, and if it sucks, then I probably will not keep playing it.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/cash-shop-items-leak-t32319.html

If you're interested in seeing some of the cash shop items.

Personally, after seeing what's in there I'm not really all that worried. Keep in mind that the first game also had a cash shop, and it wasn't really game breaking at all. Now you can choose to pay cash or ingame money to get the same stuff = awesome imo. Especially the free character slot.

The only things that people seem to have an issue with are the crafting boosts / keys / bag slots. It's unknown at this time if those are exclusive cash shop items, or if there are other ways to obtain them, but we'll just have to see. I'd still argue that none of them offer that large of an advantage, and none of them give an edge in PvP.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Mike O'brien didn't go to specifics on what would be on the cash shop until they are sure it's what they really want for the launch edition. That's one of the point of this closed beta weekend.

Wait for the news this week. image

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Calerxes

Its simple, while Arenanet is testing some stuff out ( like what to put in the cash shop) and other things arent implemented yet ( like free assignable hotkeys) some people leak information and others make a big deal of it on the forums. An NDA is in place to keep future players from being misinformed by things on the test servers that might never make the final game. So please everyone obey that NDA.

Why should I when the information is out there for all to see? I only obey it becuase of the MMORPG AUP and what are you concerned with Bacchus, THE TRUTH getting out and GW2 is a nice game but not the second coming of Old Skool MMO's?

Who ever said that GW2 is the 2nd comming of old school MMO's. GW2 is the first game of a new generation of MMO's that acknowledges that to succeed a game needs to be :

a) really good at whats it aiming to achieve

and

b) really different from those games that went before it.

Arenanet is trying to produce a game that fits both these points. 

The problem with new things is that they are often misunderstood by people without real hands on experience. We do not know how the cash shop will work out till 6 months after release. We do not know how the non-trinnity will work out in PvE till we have muchos experinece with hardcore dungeons and Mega events.

And neither do the beta testers know, based on an initial feeling they could post things and gut feelings that become untrue as they play the game longer then a few days.  or more importantly about things that get "solved" during the beta testing.  I saw some people commenting on the open press beta that mob AI was way less advanced as they hoped it would be, this for example could have several reasons.

-lower level mobs should not be to challenging (1 to 10)

-People tried to play in trinity and that doesn't really show the games smart AI.

-The event/area they talked about wasn't fine tuned yet.

Or maybe the AI is indeed below par. From my handson experience at gamesom i really cant remember how good teh AI actually was, as i was way to involved in the combat to really notice.

I have no worries that most people will love the gameplay of GW2, my biggest worry might be higher level zones way less finished then lower level zones. but i am sure that Arenanet will postpone the release untill all content from level 1 to 80 and beyound is where they want it to be.

All this, and you wrote a c to much in my name, or you got me mixed up with some kind of god.  (grins) That c is missing with a reasson.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

Nothing is more damaging then the rumours that arise from incomplete or lacking information. The NDA combined with the timing on the Cash-shop blog-post does not appear as a good move on the part of ANet.

You can not rely on NDA's, if I were a competitor I'd have all my employees sign in on the beta-events and I really wouldn't care about something as a 'banhammer'. Rumours are damaging,  easily created and the best weapon against them is information, not NDA's

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

people have obviously lost the meaning of what an NDA is and why they exist.  The translation has gotten lost over the years.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

So... if I am not under an NDA, but I know someone who played the beta, am I allowed to tell everyone everything about what I saw, or would that still be a viloation of the NDA even though I didn't sign one?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Badgered86

So... if I am not under an NDA, but I know someone who played the beta, am I allowed to tell everyone everything about what I saw, or would that still be a viloation of the NDA even though I didn't sign one?

That is fine, however, your post will get removed.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

Yes, and  yes.

You would not violate any NDA as you did not agree to such a thing, your friend however would likely violate the NDA he agreed to (assuming it does not allow him to play with others watching).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Malaksbane

Yes, and  yes.

You would not violate any NDA as you did not agree to such a thing, your friend however would likely violate the NDA he agreed to (assuming it does not allow him to play with others watching).

No,

First of your friend probably violated his NDA by even showing you, or just talking about his beta experience.

Seccondly, MMORPG.com, GW2guru and all other serious websites have promissed Arenanet to remove anything thats NDA breaking from their websites.

[Mod Edit]

And if you have any meaningfull game info comming from non NDA events, like games exhibition trials and/or the Press beta weekend, then make sure you pinpoint your information to those events.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

If they have the CS running during beta? Not to start something, but if they are going to leave some of the controversial items in the CS, they might not have it in til launch. They couldn't charge anything til then. Unless I misunderstood you post.

My assumption, not being in beta, is that the store items and prices will be visible during the beta.  You just can't buy anything.  You're far better off listing them in Beta and getting those issues sorted before going live.  Otherwise you end up with the trouble CCP had with the monocle and cosmetic pricing in EVE.