Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will TERA get anywhere or is it another flavor of the month?

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by austriacus

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

TERA will be lucky to keep 200k subs past 6 months. If I were a betting man I would wager that it goes F2P around Xmas.

The fact is that most Americans/Europeans dont wanna play Asian games with an Animu theme.  It simply wont catch on in America and it will be buried underneath the weight of games like GW2, TSW, and Diablo 3. TERA=DOA

Are you on drugs or have you missed the hundreds of FTP asian games available that are profitable and that are played in america.

It astounds me that the community of this forum thinks the majority of mmoers play western games when maplestory is thriving with content and has millions of players in america. 

If i were a betting man i would wager than the number of people that play asian games is higher than the subs of WoW and every other p2p game combined

Except that tera will be p2p and should not be at all. If it was ftp it would have a minimal chance, until then it will have vanguard like numbers soon after release in the west IMO.

It doesn't need to be like F2P games where it need tons of subs because only tiny fraction of it use the cash shop. Tera can surival perfeclty well on a 200-400k sub. If swtor can make money with only 500k sub after a year. Tera definally can profit and thrive every well with 200-400k sub. swtor cost about like 4-6 time more than Tera to mak

I highly doubt it will crack 100k in the west.

• XarruXarru Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Legere
    I got a key off this site and tried the beta this weekend.
    the game looks terrific and the unreal 3 engine really does this game justice.  wide open areas look great and runs perfectly smooth on a mid range pc with all settings maxxed out.
    The characters all have a distinctive look, and animation for them in game are all different i.e when running.  The armour sets looks cool and weapons look good, apart from the heavy re-using of models with another colour scheme applied.
    Levelling I found quite tedious as its the same old model of, run here, kill x mobs, return for useless reward + xp. 
    combat was OK - I was expecting more as this is supposed to be the big hype about the game "true action combat" .. however with a Warrior i found plain old tank and spank with a dodge here and there worked perfectly fine.  I tried all the other classes for a short period and found the combat to be similar to older mmo's, with maybe a bit more movement involved.
    The city was huge with lots of different areas.  seemed to be quite well designed with hubs for players to pvp or talk shit.
    the negatives for me was that after 2 days of playing, im bored with the game already.. there is nothing new really, and the pretty graphics, or actually better graphics, is to be found in Aion already.
    all in all, a good game albeit quite boring and linear.
    will give it another go if it ever reaches F2P

Did you get to 20+ and try BAMs (Big ass monsters), this is huge complain right now on TERA forums (both NA/EU) that early levels dont do game justice. Combat changes totally once you reach that point. With BAMs there is very little room for mistakes, dps class can get oneshoted, and as a warrior tank if you won't doge big attack you get hit for 50% hp or more (depending on BAM lvl)

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

i played in beta this weekend up to lvl 30 and all i can say is i enjoy D3 more right now...

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I think it is flavor of the month, just not enough differences to make it interesting, the next big mmo will be GW2

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Played CBT to cap this weekend on a Sorcerer.

The gama has a couple things going for it: Combat and graphics. Outside of that, it felt like I was playing Aion -- including the retarded amount of RNG that is pervasive in nearly everything you do. RNG on CC; RNG on crafting; RNG on buffs; a stupendous amount of RNG on gear progression. So much for "westernization." Luck should not be a deciding factor in gearing up in an MMO that so proudly calls itself skill based.

If I get in the mood for a Korean MMO, I'll go play the F2P version of Aion. If I want an action MMO, I'll go play Vindictus or Dragon's Nest. I think it'd make a great F2P game, and wouldn't be surprised to see that happen pretty quickly.

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

Yeah I too took one of the beta keys from this site and had a crack at it this weekend.

You can see almost at first glance its pedigree through games like Aion back down to WoW, and on the way picking up every convenience demanded by jaded players. So your involvement as a player is simply to shuffle your giganto-blade-wielding stilleto-toed supermodel from one predetermined objective to the next. THere are no rewards for discovery, in fact no decisions to make at all regarding progression other than the ever-present option to simply pull the plug on your machine and have done with it.

Still, the spectacle of impossibly-supported breasts dancing in rhythm to every sword-swing is hypnotic, and that option was ultimately never taken in the end. 

We are pitiful slaves. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by badgerer

Yeah I too took one of the beta keys from this site and had a crack at it this weekend.

You can see almost at first glance its pedigree through games like Aion back down to WoW, and on the way picking up every convenience demanded by jaded players. So your involvement as a player is simply to shuffle your giganto-blade-wielding stilleto-toed supermodel from one predetermined objective to the next. THere are no rewards for discovery, in fact no decisions to make at all regarding progression other than the ever-present option to simply pull the plug on your machine and have done with it.

Still, the spectacle of impossibly-supported breasts dancing in rhythm to every sword-swing is hypnotic, and that option was ultimately never taken in the end. 

We are pitiful slaves. 

In other words, you were so mesmerised by the bouncing breasts you couldn't think of anything else while playing, hehe.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It will be better after the first month and all the wow zombies go back to thier hole.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

If other games weren't coming out this year, (and possibly around the same time) I'd say that Tera would do fairly well in the long term. Unfotunately it has to compete with AAA titles like TSW, and GW2 (probably its biggest competitor). Even higher quality F2P titles like Raiderz, which offer similar gameplay without a box price or sub fee, could pose a problem.

That being said, I think the game will find its niche. I really don't think the game will retain a large population due to some pretty stiff competition, but I do think it'll have a healthy one. By healthy I of course mean profitable enough to keep it going for a few years at least.

Hell, Aion was by all accounts a bomb in NA/EU, and it's still around. Tera is definitely the better game as well, IMO.

• shinyguyshinyguy Member UncommonPosts: 1

There's no competitor for TERA at the moment. GW2 CBT showed us a moba game, where you spam skill, click-tab to target, and hope that your enemy dies, as well as serious unbalance between classes, like overpower mesmers and their mirror images and underpowered useless warriors.

If a player is looking for something challenging at the moment, the only mmo that will give it is TERA. Despite the generic lore and quest system, TERAs enviroment is simply AMAZING. People that are used to WoW system of casting and cooldown might have some trouble, but time and practice will do it.

What I've have experienced in TERAs pvp and combat I had never experienced in other MMORPG. You gotta know well you class, your enemy, positioning, timming, take care with mana and spent skills and of course: AIMING.

Tested GW2 and I can fairly say it cannot be called an MMO, just like its predecessor was. The devs didnt change their e-sport goal, they just tried to adapt the old GW into a MMO enviroment and that sucked in my opinion. "Oh, but the random dinamic events", yeah... you get bored of them past lvl 20.

Even more, as GW2 is b2p and TERA is p2p they are not even market competitors.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Niche game.  It will have its hardcore devoted fans, but there won't be a lot of them.  

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Rednecksith

If other games weren't coming out this year, (and possibly around the same time) I'd say that Tera would do fairly well in the long term. Unfotunately it has to compete with AAA titles like TSW, and GW2 (probably its biggest competitor). Even higher quality F2P titles like Raiderz, which offer similar gameplay without a box price or sub fee, could pose a problem.

That being said, I think the game will find its niche. I really don't think the game will retain a large population due to some pretty stiff competition, but I do think it'll have a healthy one. By healthy I of course mean profitable enough to keep it going for a few years at least.

Hell, Aion was by all accounts a bomb in NA/EU, and it's still around. Tera is definitely the better game as well, IMO.

Raiderz is in the right direction but got long ways to go before you can even compare it to Tera. First one all its F2P by perfect world..... ya thats automatic red flags going off that its pay to win because perfect world had one of the most P2W cash shops out there. But aside from the P2W cash shop the game as of now its so unpolished it hurts to play, yes it is alpha but as of now they game need some major work done on it and proabably won't be ready for release for a while so i don't think it will complict with Tera. Combat goes its similiar yet different, raiders is kinda everyone do their thing while Tera require much more team work because you have roll of tank/healer/dps and such whilee that doesn't seem to exist in raiderz. Not saying its bad because some people like that but to me its meh. Good direction and definialy hope raiderz do well but its not on competion lvl with Tera yet anyways.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    GW2 is not a competitor to TERA. They look, play differently and have different aims to their grouping content.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by shinyguy

There's no competitor for TERA at the moment. GW2 CBT showed us a moba game, where you spam skill, click-tab to target, and hope that your enemy dies, as well as serious unbalance between classes, like overpower mesmers and their mirror images and underpowered useless warriors.

If a player is looking for something challenging at the moment, the only mmo that will give it is TERA. Despite the generic lore and quest system, TERAs enviroment is simply AMAZING. People that are used to WoW system of casting and cooldown might have some trouble, but time and practice will do it.

What I've have experienced in TERAs pvp and combat I had never experienced in other MMORPG. You gotta know well you class, your enemy, positioning, timming, take care with mana and spent skills and of course: AIMING.

Tested GW2 and I can fairly say it cannot be called an MMO, just like its predecessor was. The devs didnt change their e-sport goal, they just tried to adapt the old GW into a MMO enviroment and that sucked in my opinion. "Oh, but the random dinamic events", yeah... you get bored of them past lvl 20.

Well said sir.

If TERA gives me even 50% of the fun I had back in Lineage2 then its money well spent.

Looking forward to release day after enjoying the beta weekend.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's not the flavor of the month.  It's just another game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by shinyguy

Love the PvP in TERA...my guild spent the last two hours organizing counter assaults to take out zerg guilds camping a bridge to an area. We were successful on the initial attack and killed off literally all of them and got hold of the bridge, but then they came back zergier than ever and in a 15 minute long fight they picked us off slowly, as soon as one healer went down it was basically over. Only ten of us against like 20 of them, organization through Vent made us more successful it seems.

The best part about PvP is when you are engaging someone and you see that Zerker coming up from behind charging and right as he swings you hit that dodge and he misses and you know he's just annoyed that he missed. I can't get that feeling of out playing someone from all the other themeparks that are out right now, however I don't mind the model and that's why I will be staying with TERA, because it gives me that feeling.

Hell, I even feel like I am out-playing the BAMs/Bosses when I sneak in one quick hit before I dodge their attack the millisecond before it hits lol.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Played it this weekend.

It was cute.

But extraordinarily shallow.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

When you are a junkie it's scary what you will hit to get those spiders to stop crawling on your skin.

Originally posted by Sorrow

When you are a junkie it's scary what you will hit to get those spiders to stop crawling on your skin.

Well, comparing a hobby you enjoy to a drug addiction is a bit of a stretch.

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Xasapis

You're kidding right? Never have hobby and addiction enjoyed such a happy marriage as they do in this games genre

Originally posted by badgerer

Originally posted by Xasapis

You're kidding right? Never have hobby and addiction enjoyed such a happy marriage as they do in this games genre

There are excesses in all activities in life. Whether it's work, hobbies, sex, etc. what we enjoy is part of what define us. That however is something different than messing with the chemistry of your brain to distort your senses for whatever reason.

Bottom line, when you get bored with a game, you quit and move on. I wonder if you can do that with a drug (never done any in my life, never even smoked).

This discussion is going way off topic btw.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

When it goes f2p, it'll be pretty decent unless they pull that crap where you have to pay to unlock classes and races. That's the stupidest part of the freemium trend

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

So far all I've done is get 3 characters into the low teens (Archer, Priest, Lancer) so I haven't experienced "the real" game.

What it has been is a pretty standard theme park MMO with it's own twist, the more open combat mechanics that allow you to miss if your target is keeping up a good transversal rate. (esp for ranged).

It has a promise of a political based end game, along with some form of dynamic content in the form of invasions and the standard BG's, so perhaps I'll play this just for that reason.

As far as standard theme parks go, you could do worse (cough cough SWTOR) but if you're looking for something different better hold off for GW2 or TSW.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

The game is not bad, as people have been saying combat is a bit different and a bit more fun than lets say eq2 , the problem I have with it are its generic quests and kill 10 of this and kill 5 of that mentality, I have not seen that much since Lotro's kill 10 bears and boars quests, but at least lotro has the fantastic lore and good story line (except for the damn kill 10 etc).  I guess SWTOR has really killed me for other mmo's, I really love the story, voice overs and cut scenes combined with excellent sound  and good (not great although excellent animations) combat, companions and small groups.    I will try GW2 when it comes out because I really liked the PvP in gw1 and I will play Vanguard again when It goes free 2 play because of its challenging combat and diplomacy.   I loved the first 20 levels of AOC and that should have given me a hint of how much I would like SWTOR .   But like I say Tera is not a bad game if that is what you are looking for

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

well from what I saw during this beta, game bring nothing new, combat even though you have to aim, is slow, you can custom some chain skills to trigger, but most of time you will be normal attacking to get mp (or use a pot before combat or skills to restore mp), game is also easy, first dungeon you really will just need a priest to heal your party so you can place 4 dudes in dps only  (if you like the old trinity that will get you annoyed), also if you find aion combat slow, tera is even slower, and with the combat running speed be slower then normal (or out of combat you run fast, you do have a passive who says raise mov speed to 60 out of combat) its a hell of annoying when you try to catch runner or run from a party of pks 5+ lvls higher then you

even the most elites mobs I could find and fight without pks trying to gank me, was pretty easy using same skills over and over, you can out smart then and kill then alone, that is basilisks and kumas, did the same for both, you also will find you farming then a lot for gold and other drops.

also crafters stay far from this game, you can and will survive without even getting your hands in any kind of craft, monster drops are far more powerfull then craft at least till lvl 30 weapons, a lvl 22 weapon I dropped on the first intance was more powerfull then a lvl 25 one and the first set of lvl 30, and since you need to kill mobs far stronger then you to keep the craft with your lvl, plus with the number of drops you can get, make then less desiable, unless you find a enchantable weapon and want to use craft as material for enchant.

enchant need a equip of same type (weapon need a weapon) plus a npc item, not every items can be enchantable, and it can fail, failing at least looks it don't break the item, but you can still.

so a tldr verson is, if you are looking for something new look somewhere else, tera is better then SWTOR,  but considering then swtor is a single player with multiplayer function, its not means much. maybe in cap lvl would be better, but then I remeber what koreans complain after the first week in tera, too grind and too many bugs.

and yeah that was true koreans complaining about its too grind....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.