Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoE looting in WoW?

RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Just read a newsletter from Just My Two Copper that AoE looting in in Mist of Pandera beta. For those "haters" out there that state that ToR is nothing but a WoW clone in space. Now who is copying content.

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

WoW has always copied from other games.  Guess what?  they always make it better too and make the other games look dumb.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I liked how in FF games I never had to click anything to loot.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

And guess in what game you don't have to loot at all, it loots for you.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by elocke

WoW has always copied from other games.  Guess what?  they always make it better too and make the other games look dumb.

This is true. So does microsoft and almost any other monopoly. Why wouldnt they?

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Seems to me I remember this being in games older that the new Star Wars one, off the top of my head I can't recall but I know I enjoyed it.

I also wouldn't use the word content to describe it as the OP has. I think this would fall under the catagory of feature...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Pretty sure Blizzard copied the code from somewhere else...WHERE'S WALDO!

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Hardcore farming, I mean looting of course. Cough.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

The point is that while ToR is not the game people thought it would be, it's still it's own outright and not a copy of WoW. If it was it would be to easy to everyone to level and be only about the endgame and not the journey. I've played WoW since Jan 2006 and been thru all the expansions and still play a bit here and there. WoW has been taken down the road of the only thing it does'nt have from the start is an "I WIN" button that plays the game for you. They are making it to where anyone can play without any difficulty at all and therfore no fun or sense of acomplishment from doing anything. ToR at least has a learning curve and makes you "feel" like you are actually doing something when you go thru a flashpoint, although some need to be harder. Same with leveling. As far as everything else, WoW cloned everything they have from other games as well with a few exceptions. Somethings were ok, others were crap and never should have been there. ToR is starting out, they are getting there and will have lots of features added in time, at least they are stable. People gripe about it not having things that others have, like WoW the most. WoW took 7 years to get there, without a decent launch. ToR had a great launch and will only get better.  ToR took 3 years for development after it was announced, as did WoW. Just think about it.

• MarXonMarXon Member Posts: 22

Or maybe they both copied Rift! Or maybe WoW, ToR and Rift copied some other game that I'm sure had aoe looting before them all. What of it?

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

I thought it was RIFT that brought the feature to modern light.

Then again, WoW's new Murderball.. and even Akylio-- I mean Deathwing..

But it doesn't make WoW OMGTERRIBLE.  Blizz is just smart.  They know that these things are useful / fun to players so they implement them.

Valve Corporation buys out the rights to mods and turns them into games with full price tags,  yet many gamers praise Valve to their last dying breath.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

I think rift actually had this before both of them. 

Yes I played SWTOR.

Wierd, it seemed as if we all posted that within 20 seconds of each other lol

Yes I played SWTOR.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

AoE looting is still inferior to a system in which, when mobs die, they just hand you the loot, without you having to manually loot it off of them.  You know, like in Wizard 101, Uncharted Waters Online, or Puzzle Pirates.

Except that WoW can't do that, because their goofy loot system needs to allow ninja looting.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Quizzical

AoE looting is still inferior to a system in which, when mobs die, they just hand you the loot, without you having to manually loot it off of them.  You know, like in Wizard 101, Uncharted Waters Online, or Puzzle Pirates.

Except that WoW can't do that, because their goofy loot system needs to allow ninja looting.

What does wanting AoE looting have to do with ninja looting?  Nothing.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Pretty much this... With all the Final Fantasy flaws, I'd very much love to see every game have the same looting system.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

from what i recall DAOCamelot from 2002?

......had a loot hotkey, and you'd just hit the key while positioned near the bags that dead creatures would drop on the ground.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Quesa

What does wanting AoE looting have to do with ninja looting?  Nothing.

Perhaps I was too glib there.  WoW's loot system is based on, some cool item drops, and then the people in the group have to decide who should get it.  The item is bind on pickup, so the game can't just randomly assign it, or it might give a plate armor to a priest who can't equip it.  Any automatic gear assignment system for bind on pickup gear will have severe flaws, so WoW can't do anything like this.

That the game doesn't assign loot automatically, but lets players claim what they want (i.e., roll need on it) intrinsically means that the game allows ninja looting.  Switching to master looter means that fewer players have a chance to ninja loot gear, not that none do.  To stop ninja looting, the game has to ensure that players have no chance to claim gear that they shouldn't.  Assigning all drops automatically is by far the cleanest way to do so, but WoW's system can't do that.

In contrast, Uncharted Waters Online and Puzzle Pirates can assign drops automatically, because no dropped gear in the games is bind on pickup.  For that matter, very little in either game can become any sort of soulbound.  Wizard 101 can assign drops automatically because whenever gear is dropped, all group members get a copy of the gear, not just one of them.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by RedMachine72

Just read a newsletter from Just My Two Copper that AoE looting in in Mist of Pandera beta. For those "haters" out there that state that ToR is nothing but a WoW clone in space. Now who is copying content.

about time, eh? but WoW didnt copy aoe loot from swtor, Rift had it first lol

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Click image for larger version.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Wizard 101 can assign drops automatically because whenever gear is dropped, all group members get a copy of the gear, not just one of them.

That sounds the same way GW2 will have looting system. I think thats better than what we have now in most mmos.

Originally posted by Quenchster

Big annoying picture

I fail to see the point of posting this.  

Yes I played SWTOR.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Hauvarn

Big annoying picture

You did READ the posts in the thread, right?

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by Hauvarn

Big annoying picture

I'll see if I can just link the picture because it is way too big, but the point is that SWTOR is gunning for WoW's audience. They want the combat to be the same. I don't think a small, but somewhat important, feature like AoE looting is that big of a thing to copy.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by RedMachine72

The point is that while ToR is not the game people thought it would be, it's still it's own outright and not a copy of WoW. If it was it would be to easy to everyone to level and be only about the endgame and not the journey. I've played WoW since Jan 2006 and been thru all the expansions and still play a bit here and there. WoW has been taken down the road of the only thing it does'nt have from the start is an "I WIN" button that plays the game for you. They are making it to where anyone can play without any difficulty at all and therfore no fun or sense of acomplishment from doing anything. ToR at least has a learning curve and makes you "feel" like you are actually doing something when you go thru a flashpoint, although some need to be harder. Same with leveling. As far as everything else, WoW cloned everything they have from other games as well with a few exceptions. Somethings were ok, others were crap and never should have been there. ToR is starting out, they are getting there and will have lots of features added in time, at least they are stable. People gripe about it not having things that others have, like WoW the most. WoW took 7 years to get there, without a decent launch. ToR had a great launch and will only get better.  ToR took 3 years for development after it was announced, as did WoW. Just think about it.

Rift was from my recolection to have AOE looting so in essence SWTOR copied Rift.  Now WoW will refine it to their liking which is what Blizzard does.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I'll see if I can just link the picture because it is way too big, but the point is that SWTOR is gunning for WoW's audience. They want the combat to be the same. I don't think a small, but somewhat important, feature like AoE looting is that big of a thing to copy.

Except that WoW has more responsive combat than ToR. And yes, I am playing both now. Even though ToR is not awful, WoW is a much better MMORPG over all. ToR is a much better single player game image

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.