Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Housing

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I can hear a lot of people complaining about there not being any housing availalble in GW2 at release... Offcourse there is you personal housing zone that reflects your adventures and its a place to feel at home, but so far there hasn't been an option to build your own house in that zone.

Housing can be very much fun in games that have collectibles, and they can be the perfect place to show them off, but to whome? No MMO so far has ever  given me a valid reason to travel around and visit my friends homes. Which removes much of the coolfactor for me. Its easy to show off with your new clothes, mounts or sailing ships, but how do you show off a house.

I think Arenanet realises this, but they have fallen short with giving people reasons to visit other peoples homes. There is not so much i can think of myself, why someone would be inclined to visit my home (except for palying virtuall sex games, but that is out of the questsion in GW2) .

So can anyone come with one good idea that would other people want to visit your home?

If not the personal housing zone in GW2 will be more then enough to reflect your adventures in the world. it will be a place for you to call home.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

just to show it off... If you spend time setting something up thatis cool it's natural to want to show it to others.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

IMO personal housing is a waste of dev time, they just become another  bank.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

There are loads of things that can be done with player housing if it is done correctly. Look at SWG, they did it very well, it just needed polishing a bit. Archeage is going to have player housing and you can setup your own vendors to sell your crafted goods. This is rather than pay AH fees. Then you will also have your ability to grow your own crops so it will be a vital part of one of the crafting professions. It is also an important part of the cool foot prints system they are doing.

Then there is the option to equip it with furntiure  and other goods. You could do it so certain furniture gives you buffs, kind of a second set of armour so to speak. Your bed could give you a rest bonuse, an anvil could increase your crafting skill, a target dummy could improve your attack power, a painting could imrpove your prestige...etc... (just brain storming here).

Finally you have the place to put your unwanted armour and any cool things you have acquired. SWG also did this very well, when a piece of equipment became broken or useless it didn't disappear and you could put it in your house and show it off to mates.

However, it is quite a lot of hard work to get it done. From the words of Blizzard Entertainment. if player housing was a 5 minute job it would have been in WOW a long time ago.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

House owners should be able to offer incentives to have visiters , sort of like in EQ2 were you visit the gouse to buy there items from there stuff they have in the auction house & its cheaper buying from there home , & if they have the gong you could get a buff , these ideas could be added to ,

Have each owner who does a epic quest line rewarded with a special " just to them" buff to offer to visiters , visiters could not have more than 1 house buff on at a time , they could range from stat buffs  to free travel or maybe a Mount for a day , to things like if you have a certian buff  you can get access to a special quest . there are 100's of things you could do

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Jeff Grubb have said that they plan to add improvements to the personal housing zone later so they will most likely patch in what you want eventually.

But frankly am I more interesting to get the game sooner than to have thise feature from launch. It is a nice touch but not much more.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

In UO, you can build your house brick by brick, and do design stuff, their was web sites dedicated to it, and I know a lot of people in SWG were into it.  It isn't a deal breaker or anything for me, but I like non-instanced housing, somewhere to put my stuff and some decorating...Instanced housing, some like it, I would just rather have a bigger bank, never been a fan of it.

I liked the idea of housing areas in Vanguard, but the housing choices were rather limited...I would love to see a modern mmo have the housing choices and ability that UO has, think of how much money ANET could make on cool cash shop decorative items...Not saying I like cash shops, but just saying from a business standpoint...

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

There isnt a personal housing zone, for example you visit your "home destrict" during the human story line but after that its not "your own" any more than any other place.

Also it's not like you have your own "house" which you can enter at will thats non existant :P

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Cromica

IMO personal housing is a waste of dev time, they just become another  bank.

Being able to create ur own personal space and home inside of the game that is truely unique to you can be one of the best features in retaining a player and keeping them playing the game. If they're done right, i personally would hardly call them a waste of dev time at all.

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

Personally, never found the housing attractive in any way. So I wouldn't mind if it wouldn't be in GW2. If it will be - good for them, still probably not going to use that) 

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

If it brings in players, then Im all for it.

Myself, I've never cared for such things, most of my time will be in the WvW.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

i never understood why ppl want 'housing'  oO

waste of devtime for some barbiehouseshit.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Because some people don't like the idea that you can kill ANYTHING, but you're still homeless. Save the world from a dragon? good job man, now get out from behind my garbage cans!

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I can hear a lot of people complaining about there not being any housing availalble in GW2 at release... Offcourse there is you personal housing zone that reflects your adventures and its a place to feel at home, but so far there hasn't been an option to build your own house in that zone.

Housing can be very much fun in games that have collectibles, and they can be the perfect place to show them off, but to whome? No MMO so far has ever  given me a valid reason to travel around and visit my friends homes. Which removes much of the coolfactor for me. Its easy to show off with your new clothes, mounts or sailing ships, but how do you show off a house.

I think Arenanet realises this, but they have fallen short with giving people reasons to visit other peoples homes. There is not so much i can think of myself, why someone would be inclined to visit my home (except for palying virtuall sex games, but that is out of the questsion in GW2) .

So can anyone come with one good idea that would other people want to visit your home?

If not the personal housing zone in GW2 will be more then enough to reflect your adventures in the world. it will be a place for you to call home.

Additional to the personal housing we will have the guild halls like in GW1 and the halls of monuments aswell.

I just hope that when the housing comes, we will be able to recruit npcs, have stores and other things we already had and hopefully will still have in the guild halls.

It would be also great if ones hall of monuments could be connected to his/her home too.

The whole thing would encourage RP players a lot and one would have also the joy (for those that like such things) to create or collect stuff they can decorate their homes or add more functionality with (workbench for crafting as example).

I personally can't wait to see what they will offer us! I just hope it will be good and not just a plain room you can add like two pictures and a stool as decoration.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Raekon

Additional to the personal housing we will have the guild halls like in GW1 and the halls of monuments aswell.

I just hope that when the housing comes, we will be able to recruit npcs, have stores and other things we already had and hopefully will still have in the guild halls.

It would be also great if ones hall of monuments could be connected to his/her home too.

The whole thing would encourage RP players a lot and one would have also the joy (for those that like such things) to create or collect stuff they can decorate their homes or add more functionality with (workbench for crafting as example).

I personally can't wait to see what they will offer us! I just hope it will be good and not just a plain room you can add like two pictures and a stool as decoration.

Pretty sure the NPC part is in release.. the district in town that is yours which changes with your accomplishments. Like NOCs you may have saved might join you in town, ect.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

The best housing options for GW2 would be something like either Vanguard or EQ2

EQ2 housing system would work perfect in the home zone.

Why have a home zone when you dont have a house? its stupid and pointless.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I love the concept of player housing and I hope that eventually, ArenaNet will expand on the personal instance to include a truly customizable home that players can make use of.  However, I've gone without them in my MMOs almost since I started playing them, so I can continue to do without them in GW2.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

There is no housing in GW so why put it here?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Vortigon

The best housing options for GW2 would be something like either Vanguard or EQ2

EQ2 housing system would work perfect in the home zone.

Why have a home zone when you dont have a house? its stupid and pointless.

GW2 would never have housing like Vanguard,the games are so far apart it's unthinkable.Vanguard housing is in the open world plus Vanguards world is vast compared to GW2.Vanguard has no instances and dungeons are open world,everything is open.

Housing in Vanguard is all craftable by the players from the paint to the tiles to the mortar to make the house.

If GW2 was going to have housing it would have to be like EQ2 or LOTRO not Vanguard.

Vanguard housing is made up of plots,you by the plot for certain amount of gold,the best areas charge more gold or plat for the plot.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP..do you have a RL house   so you can bring friends over and show them the house ? Bet that would go over big on about the 3rd visit. No You have a house because it is your home and you like adding another demension to your gaming world.Special carpeting... wall decorations that you acquired while advewnturing..a great location/setting for your home.All add to the immersion  in the game.(yes Housing is an important element that gives me something to aspirte to and and activity other than fighting).

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

i don't see why housing (instanced) is such a big deal, sure it's nice, but not needed imo.

Housing ala arch age however is awesome, because you can create entire cities made by people alone. But this is something we wont be seeing in GW2.  So really i find everything outside the playing instance much more important.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by sinjin

There were no dynamic events either.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

i don't understand the whole "i don't like it and wont use it so its time wasted by devs". I could say that for tons of different mechanics.

I don't like Raiding so its a waste of time for devs to work on it

I don't Craft so its a waste of time for devs to work on it.

and im sure others could say the same thing about PVP (and i know in some games they have)

heres a clue and you don't even have to buy it, people like different things than you and some people really enjoy personal housing (whether it be instanced or not) look at EQ2 they have housing rating systems and all that. everytime a new MMO comes out thats one of the first thing players ask for.

so just because you don't use housing or don't like housing, it does NOT mean its a waste of time by the devs. and mind you I don't usually do the whole player housing thing myself.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by sinjin

There were no dynamic events either.

great point! no open world either ... so i guess we can get rid of that little "dev time waster" as well.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Housing can be very much fun in games that have collectibles, and they can be the perfect place to show them off, but to whome? No MMO so far has ever  given me a valid reason to travel around and visit my friends homes. 

Safe to assume you never played EQ2 then. They did personal housing and Guild Halls right. Going around checking out other peoples homes is pretty cool, there is a rating system and all. Some of the crafters have made some amazing house decorations that displays adventuring trophies and crafting skill. It is a nice alternative and makes for a nice side-game to avoid the grind.

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

The only game i found player housing was Runescape which i spent alot of time working on when i played a long time ago but if GW2 has player housing i'm hoping it will be alot more fun.

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979