Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what are the benefits of a Pay to Win game like Guild Wars 2?

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

After seeing the type of things available for pay in the cash shop for this game, I want to know what are the benefits of still playing this game if you do not intend to spend several hundreds of dollars to keep on par with those that will use the cash shop?

I'm honestly at a loss here...

Comments

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Monorojo

After seeing the type of things available for pay in the cash shop for this game, I want to know what are the benefits of still playing this game if you do not intend to spend several hundreds of dollars to keep on par with those that will use the cash shop?

There is currently a thread running right now where someone has proposed redefining the traditional Subscription model as the true P2W model and trying to embrace the microtransaction model just so they can keep GW2 from being defined as P2W.

I doubt you'll get any reasonable answers.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Just what exactly is in the cash shop that is going to let people pwn your ass so bad that you're in this state of being distraught?

Keep in mind that I am NOT in the beta (disclaimer), but I have seen what is in the beta cash shop.  Also....things are being removed from it as well, so not everything that WAS there will BE there in the final iteration.

People need to quit freaking out and wait for the release.  There will be a lot of forehead slapping going on then, me thinks.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Cause I'll still win without spending a dime. You afraid, Bro?

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by just1opinion

Just what exactly is in the cash shop that is going to let people pwn your ass so bad that you're in this state of being distraught?

Keep in mind that I am NOT in the beta (disclaimer), but I have seen what is in the beta cash shop.  Also....things are being removed from it as well, so not everything that WAS there will BE there in the final iteration.

People need to quit freaking out.

Th only thing I have seen that will be in the GW2 cash shop that would be considered P2W is the XP gain for RL cash thingie. Its not really a pay to win as much as it is a legalized form of paying a farmer to level your character for you/botting to gain levels. With this, you are 100% legal to pay some extra cash and have your character advance faster than someone who is playing the game without the money dump.

In a way it is no different than any other game out there now, they all have people who pay farmers to level thier characters for RL cash. The only difference here is they dont have to worry about being caught and banned for it.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

There is currently a thread running right now where someone has proposed redefining the traditional Subscription model as the true P2W model and trying to embrace the microtransaction model just so they can keep GW2 from being defined as P2W.

I actually saw that thread and just laughed my ass off. People are trying to spin this game breaking development in the most illogical manners.

• SoulticeSoultice Member UncommonPosts: 112

The cash shop will be refined befoe release.  The current cash shop in GW1 is probably the way they will go and there is nothing in the shop that will give a player an advantage.  I still play GW1.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

hmmm.. to have fun, maybe?.. :)

You can play perfectly fine without spending a dime, nothing is blocked or limited if you don't use the cash shop, and the benefits you can buy don't extend to the PvP part of the game, so really the only limitation you get form not using the cash shop is the knowledge that someone that uses it might be able to level or maybe get some things a little bit faster than you. If that's a big issue for you, then probably you won't have fun in the game so there wouldn't be a point in playing.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Name one real advantage you get from spending money in a game where Competitive PvP max level and gears you when ever you want and there is no gear tiering after level 80 so you can be max geared with crafted armor.

At most people who spend tons of money will reach the cap slightly faster but once your there is nothing that will give you any real advantage.

• RathanX26RathanX26 Member Posts: 119

How To Guild Wars 2: The Economy - General Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums at MMORPG.com

Has a good video link explaining how the economy works (as of what we know right now). Read it a few minutes ago.

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

• aguliondewaguliondew Member Posts: 95

I do not see how you think the cash shop is pay to win? Pay to win games have cash shop items that are by far the best in game none of GW2 items do that. None of the items leaked gave you a boost to stats. They mostly reduce the amount of time it takes to farm.

In GW2 you do not have to spend money in cash shops. Do you need boost items? No I have enough time to farm. Do you need to pay money for gems? No I will use gold.  Do you need to pay for more bag space? No, beta showed 5 slot for bags all of the bags people had were 4-8slots at lvl 30 or so. Do you need customes? No I plan on trying to get some exploration dungeon gear. 

Gw2 Economy

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

And i am at a loss - how you get to the conclussion that GW2 is an exsample of a P2W game? Have you seen real P2W cash shops and items and do you really think thats compareble to GW2?  

How do you get to the conclussion that you have to spend several hundreds dollars to keep on par ? Start spend time and enjoy the game?

And are you really clueless about what the benefits of playing the game ? I mean what attrackt you in the first place to this game?

I am not saying that there is not problems with cashshop- but pls make a better case about what the problem is than this!

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

I reject the premise of your question...

Firstly, your title assumes that it is p2w... there is nothing in the store which makes any character better than any other character of the equivalent level(unless they find some way to start selling player skill).

Secondly, what the hell could you possibly spend hundreds of dollars on? how many extra character slots do you need(considering +2 will let you make one of each class)? How many 10% experience boosts do you need, when EVERY level is a flat leveling curve/time? True, you may want to buy lots of transmutation stones so you can keep your look from lvl 1 through to lvl 80... but if someone else is doing that, you hardly NEED to do so to keep on par with him...

Your post contains no real information, and your question is either badly designed or badly designed on purpose to create controversy... I reject the premise of your question.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the benefits are that we wont have to deal with trolls that still think its pay to win just because theres no sub for the sake of trolling. Hopefully they wont play

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

How to not-so-cleverly disguise a troll post.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by ScribZ

Th only thing I have seen that will be in the GW2 cash shop that would be considered P2W is the XP gain for RL cash thingie. Its not really a pay to win as much as it is a legalized form of paying a farmer to level your character for you/botting to gain levels. With this, you are 100% legal to pay some extra cash and have your character advance faster than someone who is playing the game without the money dump.

In a way it is no different than any other game out there now, they all have people who pay farmers to level thier characters for RL cash. The only difference here is they dont have to worry about being caught and banned for it.

those items drop in game also from the chests that again keys drop in game.... so ive heard.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

lol I almost believed you were serious for a minute.

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

How to not-so-cleverly disguise a troll post.

this

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by ariboersma

those items drop in game also from the chests that again keys drop in game.... so ive heard.

Incidentally, isn't it like what....a 10 percent bonus to xp?  10 lousy percent is powerleveling in some peoples' minds?  Isn't that equivalent to the xp boost from winning Wintergrasp in WoW?  And I mean....the whole faction got the boost whether they PvP'd or not.  Unfair advantage?  I'm just sayin'.....I think, myself, I'm waiting to see how the cash shop ACTUALLY ends up before I start whining much.  I think Anet is aware of all the grumbling going on and I don't think for a minute that they won't try very hard to make it as fair as possible.  I think there is too much freaking out too far in advance of KNOWN quotients.  So much is speculation right now and so much of that is prior to anything being set in stone.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I'm still waiting on what's p2w about the cash shop, because no one and I mean it no one has yet been able to give me an actual reason of why.

I'd see if once you hit max level you can keep getting stronger lol. I.E gear grinding but not being able to until level 80 like most max level mmos do.

That's just a small fact, need more?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Incidentally, isn't it like what....a 10 percent bonus to xp?  10 lousy percent is powerleveling in some peoples' minds?  Isn't that equivalent to the xp boost from winning Wintergrasp in WoW?  And I mean....the whole faction got the boost whether they PvP'd or not.  Unfair advantage?  I'm just sayin'.....I think, myself, I'm waiting to see how the cash shop ACTUALLY ends up before I start whining much.  I think Anet is aware of all the grumbling going on and I don't think for a minute that they won't try very hard to make it as fair as possible.  I think there is too much freaking out too far in advance of KNOWN quotients.  So much is speculation right now and so much of that is prior to anything being set in stone.

Well the OP isn't freaking out, we clearly see where he's at, what's highlighted in red is not going to be agreed with.

He is saying for a fact it's p2w regardless of it not being p2w any way.

I mean due to it nt being pay 2 win by any means, it's pay 2 win to them.

Easy practice really, it could have been all cosmectic it'd be pay 2 win still lol.

Any wayyea your right the items being bought it's even worse if you can't stack em lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

With any luck I hope P2W @ the cash shops means I'll never have to worry about playing with either of you folks in this game ....

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by RizelStar

I'm still waiting on what's p2w about the cash shop, because no one and I mean it no one has yet been able to give me an actual reason of why.

I'd see if once you hit max level you can keep getting stronger lol. I.E gear grinding but not being able to until level 80 like most max level mmos do.

That's just a small fact, need more?

they wont give a good reason. All that has been said are excuses since the game so far sounds too good to be true lol.

"No sub? oh lets take the cash shop as a reason for pay to win and troll the hell out of GW2, maybe that way ANET add a sub and remove cash shop.... "

lol i always imagine the trolls saying that to each other haha it makes me laugh

oh I agree with you but if that info of it dropping in game will shut some ppl up about it ;) The red bit is very important for many of you to read.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Cash shop is far from P2W. There is not much win to be bought in GW2 to begin with, not even with Karma.

The cash shop gems will just fck the ingame economy and let rl cash spenders buy themselves into the economy when they start out. It will cause faster gold creation because players will always want to buy cash shop items with gold. Gold that doesn't leave through the goldsinks (those are fixed prices so can't deal with faster gold creation).

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I think you need to play a few "pay to win" (P2W) games, once you do you will notice that there is nothing in the GW2 store that qualifies as P2W.

I don't know of a single game that does not have boost scrolls of one form or another.  If you want one you go to the merchant and buy one.  The 10% for 1 hour is not realy even worth bothering with.  Some games offer scrolls for as much as 500% for half an hour, that is what I feel is game breaking.

This discussion has been closed.