Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars has always had a cash shop.

123457»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

lag DP?!?!

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Madimorga

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by Pigozz

The answer to your question is in the post you quoted
    HINT: "Once people can get their purchases into the overall economy, then you have a Cash Shop driven Meta-Game."

Gems are bought only for money, and money are earned ONLY via playing,then there are money sinks and gems are spent...
    So no..CS will not drive the economy of the game as people need to "create" the gold through playing

And you know this because?????????
    Let me explain something. When you start introducing money sinks to compensate for the influx of gems bought from the CS, you are literally destroying the potential for a non gem buyer to earn money. Everything they do will be barely enough to keep their head above water just to play the game let alone amass any wealth for themselves.

I guess explaining isn't going to do any good.  What you say is true, but some people have either never experienced this for themselves and can't conceive of it, or they're so desperate to play GW2 that they refuse to see it.  Either way, in a few months when they start feeling fleeced because they're constantly buying gems to trade for gold while their poorer guild members stop playing entirely due to having to grind up their own gold, they'll see the light.

I agree. I have to wonder based on your avatar if our mutual experience was from the same game/company. LOL

we talk of experience. It was amazing...in a bad way. to watch a game played and enjoyed for years without a cash shop, suddenly get one and then to see the transformation that occurred within that game over the course of a year.

The influences from the CS are so subtle. They gradually shift the player base's entire method for logging in and playing the game.

Seeing people who initially rose up against the company in opposition to the CS start to use it for personal items, then start to use it to resell for ingame money (Which by the way was almost forced by the company to make it happen. Farming the old fashioned was were intentionally nerfed....Oh for other reasons mind you. Reasons that existed in game for years and yeas and now all the sudden there is a cash shop, having ways in game to earn money is bad and needs to be nerfed?

Anyway, they went from Opposing to bugeting for it because it was easier than farming...which became even more difficult. That was a spiral that was going down.

And It was upsetting to watch as the company paid very close attention to things in the game that frustrated players. And these were valid concerns about the game. Rather than fix their content, they put "Items of convenience" in the shop.

To look at that cash shop now and say..It looks OK. Nothing too bad......Well, yeah, been there too.

Now, GW2 will have it from the onset, so there will be no transformation, But know what I saw, I can assure you, it will never live up to it's full potential of what it could be.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I

To look at that cash shop now and say..It looks OK. Nothing too bad......Well, yeah, been there too.

Now, GW2 will have it from the onset, so there will be no transformation, But know what I saw, I can assure you, it will never live up to it's full potential of what it could be.

What game are you talking about please?

I'd like to look into that

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Earlier in this thread I posted this......This is how it all started. But the second was from an earlier post It explains what happened after it was implemented

As I have said before:

"Don't tell me your philosophy until I know your policy"

What he said means nothing. Just because they "believe" in it doesn't mean they won't do it.

I am not impresseed and I have seen it before.

Announcement Concerning a New Anarchy Online In-Game Store

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=583369

[snipet]

That being said I just said "Item Store". Before anyone gets upset (probably already too late) speculating about us selling BOC or RBP in this store let me assure you that the general guidelines we set out years ago of not selling "power" for money is still very much in force. The items/services available from the store will focus on social and convenience uses only.ON

One week later:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=583660

If my explanation of this in the previous thread caused any confusion I apologize as it was not my intention to deceive anyone on the subject. It is already possible to generate a great deal of this "advantage" through the expenditure of credits in-game and I'm certain we can all admit where some of these credits are coming from...this is a much more secure alternative for everyone.

Guess what?

It's 100% hands down no holds barred total P2W shop.

Originally posted by Theocritus

Alot of people are bashing FUncom in this thread, but I'm here to tell you that I have played AO since 2005 and haven't spent a dime yet......Yeah they may put things in the cash shop that some players feel aren't fair but you don't have to buy them......Same with AoC...You dont have to spend a dime to play....Quit blaming the companies when the fault lies with the consumers.

You are 100% correct. you do not need to spend a dime in the cash shop. But the player next to you is. He's buying Tokens and OFAB Armor.  

Well, so what? Tokens are just mission points and OFAB is only best in slot for 1 to 3 pieces.

But they aren't buying them to use them, they are buying them to re-sell them ingame for hundreds of millions of credits a pop.

From there, that player will reach out and contact people like this guy

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=597467 (if he's offline,  Don't worry there are many more like him)

Who will be happy to take those credits the other player just traded tokens that were paid for with real Dollars/Euros

He will level the other player's character from 1 to 220 (for about 1/2 billion cr) and then equip him with every piece of NODROP best in slot raid gear in the game. Because FunCom love Loot Right sellers. Afterall, those Loot Right Sellers encourage cash shop purchases. Why else would such a broken mechanic exist in a game where up to 30 minutes after a boss dies, anyone in the game can be warped in and brought into the team and allowed to loot? For a hefty fee of course.

Don't believ me? FC outright killed 2 of the markets in the game wher eplayers can earn money prior to endgame. (S10--No more bounties and Token Guns People don't buy the guns anymore, they resell token packs)  

Why did they do that? CS sales went up. Before I left, all those die hard anti cash shop players who voiced so many concerns were now all talking about how much they were personally bugeting for the cash shop.....It's just easier than farming.

This is how AO is done now. Not rare, not uncommon, but prevalent. Just look at that thread, it's one of many and there is no lack of people posting for his "service".

Good luck finding groups now too. And once Ao goes live with the instant level packs (yes, that's correct, by a buff that grants instant levels...BOOM level one to level 220 at the right click of a button.) That's going to do wonders for the people in LFT.

And let's not forget the already over priced AAA sub fee they still charge.

Way to kill a game FC. Good Job!