Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pff, i like it.

2»

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Shatter30

I laugh at these reviews.  Most MMO's are decent or fun the first 1-20 levels, or the first 5-10 hours.  Its all the new, etc that makes it enjoyable.  Wipe off that new and thats where MMO's become stale and the same old garbage. TERA is no better of an MMO then any other past that initial experience.  Same quest and mob grind, same PvP, same end game, etc etc. 

Unfortunately I have to agree for the most part.  I was playing ME3 and could not believe how much better it was than any mmo, lightyears

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by eddieg50

I laugh at these reviews.  Most MMO's are decent or fun the first 1-20 levels, or the first 5-10 hours.  Its all the new, etc that makes it enjoyable.  Wipe off that new and thats where MMO's become stale and the same old garbage. TERA is no better of an MMO then any other past that initial experience.  Same quest and mob grind, same PvP, same end game, etc etc. 

Unfortunately I have to agree for the most part.  I was playing ME3 and could not believe how much better it was than any mmo, lightyears

Can't compare mmos to single player games, the mmo will lose that comparison every time.

Tera has its good points and bad. I'm still on the fence. I just wish it didn't have a subscription as I would be more inclined to buy it.

The Warrior is a lot of fun. Not a fan of the ranged classes though.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I was a sceptic but I really enjoy the combat mechanics of this game much more than I thought I would.  The rest of the game through level 22 is your standard MMO with some nice graphics but the combat is addictingly fun.

I had a very hard time going back to the standard tab targeting macro key pressing when I logged into the current MMO I am playing tonight to do something with my guild, it was really very hard to adjust back, the combat felt very boring and dull.

Wish they did something different other than the standard questing system....then I would have been truely hooked. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's easy to be negative about everything then pat yourself on the back for being right. The down side of being like that is your life sucks...but hey at least you're never fooled right ?

I'll take 2 months of fun and then getting bored over a life time of being right on the forums and never trying anything.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Played for an hour or so (Lancer) and got bored. Although I was impressed with how good the game looks and runs even on my older hardware, there's really nothing all that great about it. I'm also admittedly a PvE player, and since the game's 'endgame' will primarily consist of PvP (AFAIK) there's really no reason for me to buy it.

I hope everyone who likes it has a wonderful time, and it stays active for a good many years, but I really don't think it's for me.

Actually currently TERAs endgame only consists of PvE in Ktera, they have the Open World Rifts, Dungeons(normal/hardmode), daily/reputations quests and I guess...people can grind BAMs/Worldbosses for gold and crafting mats. The PvE gets a lot better as you level. :P

As far as PvP, the battlegrounds are pretty ignored and currently undergoing revamp and things like GvG and Deathmatches are just for fun.

However PvP servers have factionless OWPvP here in NA, so that may be why you've heard so many people say it's a PvP game, because that in itself is a very good quality IMO as a PvP fan myself.

Thanks for the kind worded post though, it's a welcome change.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Played for an hour or so (Lancer) and got bored. Although I was impressed with how good the game looks and runs even on my older hardware, there's really nothing all that great about it. I'm also admittedly a PvE player, and since the game's 'endgame' will primarily consist of PvP (AFAIK) there's really no reason for me to buy it.

I hope everyone who likes it has a wonderful time, and it stays active for a good many years, but I really don't think it's for me.

Actually currently TERAs endgame only consists of PvE in Ktera, they have the Open World Rifts, Dungeons(normal/hardmode), daily/reputations quests and I guess...people can grind BAMs/Worldbosses for gold and crafting mats. The PvE gets a lot better as you level. :P

As far as PvP, the battlegrounds are pretty ignored and currently undergoing revamp and things like GvG and Deathmatches are just for fun.

However PvP servers have factionless OWPvP here in NA, so that may be why you've heard so many people say it's a PvP game, because that in itself is a very good quality IMO as a PvP fan myself.

Thanks for the kind worded post though, it's a welcome change.

Huh, didn't know they had much PvE content. Still, seeing as how I just purchased a 6 month sub to Rift (tried it and loved it), I don't see myself  spending another $60 + sub fees anytime soon. I don't exactly have a lot of disposable income these days.

I figure just because you don't like a game doesn't mean you have to bash it to hell and back. Tera isn't my thing, but I can definitely see what people like about it.

That doesn't mean I haven't done my share of game-bashing though :P

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Dekarx12

I shoulda stop reading after you said you only played for 5 hours but i didn't... and its your opinion.. i played a couple of the other betas... and theres nothing new to this game apart from the combat even then it gets old... another asain grinding to add to the pile

SIgned.  Some pretty graphics here and there.  Strange hit box, and it's an Asian grinder so what's the point really.  Glad you are enjoying it though - all that matters :)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

You might know this OP but you can scale your UI together or select specific aspects to make bigger or smaller in the options menu.

Have fun!

didnt see this til just now... awesome thank you..

edit:  up to 12 hours played on lancer and still enjoying myself.  it takes a while to get used to having to go between UI modee and mouselook mode, it reminded me of a shooter a la crysis instead of an mmo (though other MMOs like darkfall have this) but they became second nature pretty quick.  I found the game's combat gets better as you gather a few combo pieces and can start rocking some chains of skills.

still not 100% sure but leaning towards preordering it.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by itchmon

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

You might know this OP but you can scale your UI together or select specific aspects to make bigger or smaller in the options menu.

Have fun!

didnt see this til just now... awesome thank you..

edit:  up to 12 hours played on lancer and still enjoying myself.  it takes a while to get used to having to go between UI modee and mouselook mode, it reminded me of a shooter a la crysis instead of an mmo (though other MMOs like darkfall have this) but they became second nature pretty quick.  I found the game's combat gets better as you gather a few combo pieces and can start rocking some chains of skills.

still not 100% sure but leaning towards preordering it.

I almost never need to go in to mouse mode, when you open up your inv or your status window your mouse auto appears and disappear when you move. Only time i need to get mouse out is to like trade or inspect people.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

I spent this weekend playing Tera and im impressed, the quest is the same old solo questing(boreing as hell). But the combat was fun and i cant say i got tired of it at all.

I feard the skill rooting but ingame it felt natural, warrior and slayer never stod in one place when the skill was fired so that was a non issue just something that takes longer to master witch aint a bad thing.

The bam hunting helps people like me that are bored of the solo questing i love games that have outside group areas that fit 2-full party. This is a design western devs seriously lacks and its a shame becouse some of us prefer this over solo questing. I want to solo quest sometimes but its important to have options.

The limited pvp i have done have been a blast and i have lost way more then i won. I need friends :)

This is only a weekend test and im not to hard to impress on such short gametime, so we will see where it leads in the future

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Me too!  Like way more than I thought I would..  Problem now is I don't want to overplay the damn beta.  I guess i'll just try classes I don't plan on playing.

Man though, the PvP even just dueling early is unbelievable.  Really, truly, some real skill involved.  Twitchy skill that just felt right.  What I would give to have this combat system in Darkfall.  Aventurine needs to look at this game to figure out how to make some engrossing twitch combat in an mmo.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by eddieg50

Can't compare mmos to single player games, the mmo will lose that comparison every time.

Tera has its good points and bad. I'm still on the fence. I just wish it didn't have a subscription as I would be more inclined to buy it.

The Warrior is a lot of fun. Not a fan of the ranged classes though.

The only bad thing about a good single player game is that it eventually ends where as a good MMO although not up to single game standards goes on forever

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I'm enjoying the beta, very much actually.  However it's not going to be a game I 'invest' in (at least at this time) as I'm already 'invested' in multiple other games.

I really don't have anything bad to say about it.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I can not see myself playing this game long term. No character customization regarding skills/abilities. Glyphs are a joke for customization. World much too linear for my liking while I understand that I did not get to play fully through the game, I do not see this changing much going into higher levels.

Also, I could reach lvl 30+ in ~24 hours of gaming is not a good sign either, at least to me.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Zyllos

I can not see myself playing this game long term. No character customization regarding skills/abilities. Glyphs are a joke for customization. World much too linear for my liking while I understand that I did not get to play fully through the game, I do not see this changing much going into higher levels.

Also, I could reach lvl 30+ in ~24 hours of gaming is not a good sign either, at least to me.

world too linear?   last i checked Tera world was totally open.   are we even talking about the same game?

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Zyllos

Quest is linear, the world by no means is linear, just yesterday my guild decide to go mountain climbin and crossed about 3 zones. Also almost every single AAA mmorpg you can hit 30 in about 24hrs, just how western game works, people in the west generaly hate long lvling.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by Mannish

This is a clear example of how a post should be. I would advise trying a couple more classes and if the game is still not doing it for you then its probaly not for you. I will say that it does start slow and gets better as you level which is one of my cons of the game.

I dunno, I've always preferred it to get that feeling that the game starts off kind of simple and straight forward, and builds in variety and options as you progress, revealing more of the game to you, more of what your character can do, more of the type of content you participate in. TERA is definitely doing that for me. As I level up and gain new skills to play with, it's making the experience more and more fun, as I can then devise new combinations or attacks or combat styles to experiment with. It never becomes stale for me. 

I know I've played other MMOs in the past where they throw things at you so rapidly that you barely have a chance to get used to what you already have. So it's like feature overload and then there's nothing, or at least very little, more to see or do that you haven't already been doing almost from the start. 

I will definitely be pre-ordering this game this week on pay-day. No question. The last several MMOs I've tried out, whether in beta or in a trial, have just not impressed me. They had all the familiar gameplay and such, but the way it was all put together and presented did nothing for me. TERA, for some reason, seems to have done it right, at least fo my taste.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I've now preordered.

I enjoy the combat, it makes the Pve fun.

Also I enjoy being in a world with open world pvp (yes I'm on a pvp server). A number of times yesterday I got killed by higher level toons while killing mobs. This is a good thing. I have reason to come back and kick their ass.

The politics will remind me of the good old days of Lineage2.

Tell me of another game with direct targetting and a focus on world pvp.

TSW - nope, I like their skill system but is tab target.

GW2 - you can dodge etc but still tab target and no world pvp (yawn).

Lotro - love this game but will have a break until the next expansion.

Looking for a guild at release on a pvp server that plans to have plenty of aussies.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe