Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness will have permadeath per CCP

DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

There was a question about death which was answered by confirming there will be permadeath unless I misunderstood. I'm really interested in how this will work in the end and how much of an impact it will really have on the game. It's about 30 min into the video, I tried to link best I could to the exact moment of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cf_xGH0v93U#t=1846s

Just watched again and I believe the answer to permadeath was "You can be permanently killed and your character removed to the game" Inderesting indeed and I'm looking forward to more info on this in the future.

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Deathenger

There was a question about death which was answered by confirming there will be permadeath unless I misunderstood. I'm really interested in how this will work in the end and how much of an impact it will really have on the game. It's about 30 min into the video, I tried to link best I could to the exact moment of the question.

Just watched again and I believe the answer to permadeath was "You can be permanently killed and your character removed to the game" Inderesting indeed and I'm looking forward to more info on this in the future.

Hey I love the IP so much thats fine with me but.....

I kind of have to laugh at the idea of permadeath in a game....where....you are a vampire.  Ahem.  Just sayin. 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Sounds clear that the only thing that can result in permanent death for you character is the result of a blood hunt, called by the Prince. Not something that's going to be common I don't think. You'd need to be guilty of a masquerade violation for this to happen.

There was no mention of PvP so I think we can discount PvP deaths being permanent.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I thought all Vampires were permanently dead.
  • Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Well in the wod universe there was only a very few ways of being actually permently killed or enting into final death. One of the main ways was having every bit of blood drained from you body, as well as sometimes entailing having dismemberment or beheading. Even if the vampire recieved tramatic damage to their body they would only enter into a state called topur (misspelled.), which was basically a form of suspended animation in which the vampire could heal, while still aware of their surroundings. Also many of the mythical methods of destroying a vampire were not as deadly in wod, such as sun light that a vampire with the right blood art could pretty well disregard while others could just endure the searing painn of it. Also take into account that the method of draining every bit of blood from a vampire was the method many vampires would use to gain greater age in the series, such as draining the blood of a second or thrd generation which would allow them to raise up several genrations wihtout actually having to live longer. I don't hink perma death will be important, as even in the pnp rpg of wod ot was not that common to happen even among bitter rivals.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Corehaven

I kind of have to laugh at the idea of permadeath in a game....where....you are a vampire.  Ahem.  Just sayin. 

But are you a sparkly vampire though?

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Sounds clear that the only thing that can result in permanent death for you character is the result of a blood hunt, called by the Prince. Not something that's going to be common I don't think. You'd need to be guilty of a masquerade violation for this to happen.

There was no mention of PvP so I think we can discount PvP deaths being permanent.

PVP was mentioned as being in the game at around the 5 min mark in the video. 

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

One of the earlier interview the lead dev stated that they were thinking of putting in perma-death but to actually have your character die permanently it would be an extreme event and not likely to happen if the user didn't want it to.

Take that as you like.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

nice to know CCP will stick with what they know,  sandboxes

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont know much about this game other than its from CCP and it has vampires.

So.... permadeath.... that means i will ONLY play this game if its F2P. I have no interest in pay monthly to build a character to max lvl and epic stuff then bam!!!!! permadeath.

edit: it seems theres no levels so still, any kind of progression is broken with permadeath, not for me

Originally posted by rojo6934

So.... permadeath.... that means i will ONLY play this game if its F2P. I have no interest in pay monthly to build a character to max lvl and epic stuff then bam!!!!! permadeath.

edit: it seems theres no levels so still, any kind of progression is broken with permadeath, not for me

Honestly with wod the fact that actually getting another player to final death/permadeath would need to take some serious effort, as well as being somethign that is not common or it would not really be wod at all. Like i said final death in wod was not that easy to cause to another vampire, and even the many methods of killing a vampire were not as viable against all vampires as it would seem. So long as they keep the method of causing a vampire to put into final death remains rather unncommon or hard to do, and so would remain as a actual important part of the game that is not common at all to be done it would be fine. If perma death happens from just falling damage, normal or even pvp combat, or just bad choices, then it would be an issue to many of those that loved wod.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

The guy only mentions permadeath and you go theorycrafting

Amusing

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Well if you played EvE you'd know there were several severe goofs you had to commit to dying permanently and while the game does have perma death, its rare and some what unlikely.  Usually perma death in that game happens like this.  Ship explodes but you have an escape pod at that point.  Very fast little pod.  If that gets blown up you die, but you should have a clone you've set up.  You are transferred to said clone and all is well (except for the loss of the ship).  Now that you are in your new clone body you need to make a NEW clone as a back up.  Forget to make a new clone at any point and you die again, you are gone forever. 

Sorry if you already had all that info in your noggin. 

Anyways I cant really imagine CCP just having a whack and you're dead forever mechanic here.  Id expect death to be a complex and really only attainable by severe player mistake.  At least with EvE there was an always an easy back up.  You just needed to remember to keep up with that and it was very easy to do. 

EDIT: At 30:55 the question on perma death was asked.  He says something like, " Regarding permadeath, the Prince of a city (which would be an actual player) calls for a blood hunt, then you can be killed permanently".  Just paraphrasing there.  So....respect the Prince I guess.  : P

Originally posted by dinams

Amusing

im only saying what i think about permadeath, my comment is personal and is valid for any game with permadeath, for me

Originally posted by Asuran24

Honestly with wod the fact that actually getting another player to final death/permadeath would need to take some serious effort, as well as being somethign that is not common or it would not really be wod at all. Like i said final death in wod was not that easy to cause to another vampire, and even the many methods of killing a vampire were not as viable against all vampires as it would seem. So long as they keep the method of causing a vampire to put into final death remains rather unncommon or hard to do, and so would remain as a actual important part of the game that is not common at all to be done it would be fine. If perma death happens from just falling damage, normal or even pvp combat, or just bad choices, then it would be an issue to many of those that loved wod.

thats my concern, every mmo i have seen so far with permadeath (havent seen all of course) have that wacky system bad implemented. It would be a really bad choice to do the same in WoD

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Ambros123

But are you a sparkly vampire though?

The new Vampire Hunter's Kit, Stake, Holy Water, Cross, Glitter Remover.

Amusing

im only saying what i think about permadeath, my comment is personal and is valid for any game with permadeath, for me

Apparently if you anger the Prince of a city, and he calls a blood hunt, then you can be killed permanently whatever that means. 

But yes your point is valid for sure.  Wasn't arguing with it.  Im not a perma death fan myself, as in most (you might even say all) RPG structures it does not have a place.  Its an RPG, not Super Mario Bros.  Big difference. 

thats my concern, every mmo i have seen so far with permadeath (havent seen all of course) have that wacky system bad implemented. It would be a really bad choice to do the same in WoD

True yet as others have said look at EVE the other game from CCP with perma death, it is rare as well as hard to actually have perma death happen. For a large part i don't see ccp ruining or even changing the fact of how final death works in wod, as it stands now final death works quite abit like how EVE's system for perma death works, as you only perma-die if you are really forgetful in protecting yourself in game.

Amusing

Apparently if you anger the Prince of a city, and he calls a blood hunt, then you can be killed permanently whatever that means. 

But yes your point is valid for sure.  Wasn't arguing with it.  Im not a perma death fan myself, as in most (you might even say all) RPG structures it does not have a place.  Its an RPG, not Super Mario Bros.  Big difference. 

I can agree that many rpg's do not really use perma-death well in their structure, but in wod the methods as well as means of inflicting final death on a vampire were rather difficult as well as dangerous for both sides, and also was a rarity in the world, not to mentsion it had a story element to it that wwas used alot in many of the rpgs of the setting. Even having several of the clans built upon the final death of a third or forth general vampire elder of another clan.

True yet as others have said look at EVE the other game from CCP with perma death, it is rare as well as hard to actually have perma death happen. For a large part i don't see ccp ruining or even changing the fact of how final death works in wod, as it stands now final death works quite abit like how EVE's system for perma death works, as you only perma-die if you are really forgetful in protecting yourself in game.

i havent played EVE, i looked tons of gameplay videos even with commentaries and even the player didnt know what was going on lol... so i gave up watching. Thats one game i wouldnt enjoy. I might keep an eye for WoD if you guys say CCPs permadeath system is not the same as other mmos that you walk around town and get permadeath as easy as asking for a glass of water.

I am hoping that the clans with thier unique clan-baesed penalities, as well as unique factors to them also make it into the game. Thigns like specific types of people that they could only or would rather feed from, strange abnormalities in who/what they are like. Like one clan actually when they were turned would descend into maddness, then you have the fiends that could meld their flesh like clay and had a very alien perception of beauty. I loved how these made the clans more then just a group of people you played with in the rpg, but felt more like a unity of like minded people. I would say if you want to know alot more about what the game may be like look up the world of darkness pnp rpg games, and read up on it till we get more info on the mmo. I plan to make a demented vampire of the fiend clan that transforms his loved ones and friends into weapons, as well as items that he uses or wears as a means of keeping them close as wel as safe.

I am hoping that the clans with thier unique clan-baesed penalities, as well as unique factors to them also make it into the game. Thigns like specific types of people that they could only or would rather feed from, strange abnormalities in who/what they are like. Like one clan actually when they were turned would descend into maddness, then you have the fiends that could meld their flesh like clay and had a very alien perception of beauty. I loved how these made the clans more then just a group of people you played with in the rpg, but felt more like a unity of like minded people. I would say if you want to know alot more about what the game may be like look up the world of darkness pnp rpg games, and read up on it till we get more info on the mmo. I plan to make a demented vampire of the fiend clan that transforms his loved ones and friends into weapons, as well as items that he uses or wears as a means of keeping them close as wel as safe.

Well I know there are going to be clans.  They refer to them as the "original" clans.  Im not familiar enough with the IP to really know what that means (although I am plenty familiar). 

So have now doubt we'll see clans like the Brujah, Zimitze, and the mad Malkavians you mentioned.  Might not have them all there, but some will be. 

There's also not just clans in Vampire, but also a sort of two factions that various clans belong too.  I cant remember their names.  Shucks.  One faction of clans hold to the belief that vampires should co exist with humans, maintaining a delicate masquerade of being human themselves and typically attempting to never kill when they feed, while the other faction of clans comprised of more sinister vampires, believes vamps should rule over the humans and treat them as play things and simple livestock.  

So I'm hoping that makes it into the game at least.  It should. 

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Cant wait to roll Nosferatu if WoD has them. They were awesome in other games. The way the world reacted to them and them having to move in shadows or people would run/scream from them was great. Because of the hideous appearance of the Nosferatu they could not just go out and blend in like other Vampires, Be interesting to see if they are a playable and how the game world will react to them.

Well I know there are going to be clans.  They refer to them as the "original" clans.  Im not familiar enough with the IP to really know what that means (although I am plenty familiar). 

So have now doubt we'll see clans like the Brujah, Zimitze, and the mad Malkavians you mentioned.  Might not have them all there, but some will be. 

There's also not just clans in Vampire, but also a sort of two factions that various clans belong too.  I cant remember their names.  Shucks.  One faction of clans hold to the belief that vampires should co exist with humans, maintaining a delicate masquerade of being human themselves and typically attempting to never kill when they feed, while the other faction of clans comprised of more sinister vampires, believes vamps should rule over the humans and treat them as play things and simple livestock.  

So I'm hoping that makes it into the game at least.  It should. 

Actually there were techinically three faction sides in the world of darkness for vampires, one was the Camarilla which wer           which were more for hiding that they were vampires, then the Sabbat who were more for endulging in being a vampire seeing it as the next step of kinds, while you also had independent clans that were largely seeking to remain seperate or thought they were not like the other vampires. I would think they might be going back to the origin clans that were in the first version of WOD, which we would see several changes though tothe clans as well. Like the Brujah actually being smart like they had been long efore the more modern settng.

Originally posted by itbewilly

Cant wait to roll Nosferatu if WoD has them. They were awesome in other games. The way the world reacted to them and them having to move in shadows or people would run/scream from them was great. Because of the hideous appearance of the Nosferatu they could not just go out and blend in like other Vampires, Be interesting to see if they are a playable and how the game world will react to them.

Myself i loved the way that Tzimisce  could be seen based on how you build the appearnce of yoru character via your flesh crafting blood art ability. Though i loved how they could never make a Nosferatu handsome or normal for long, before the curse they had would revert the back. With their warped perceptions of beauty, and elegance, not to mentsion just views of the world around them they could fill so many roles.

Originally posted by itbewilly

Myself i loved the way that Tzimisce  could be seen based on how you build the appearnce of yoru character via your flesh crafting blood art ability. Though i loved how they could never make a Nosferatu handsome or normal for long, before the curse they had would revert the back. With their warped perceptions of beauty, and elegance, not to mentsion just views of the world around them they could fill so many roles.

Not that Im overly interested in playing them but Id find it interesting if they messed around with the Malkavians a bit.  Perhaps give them a skewed world perception (graphically).  And also let them have their own private news source on whats going on in the game somehow.  Real time world information.  They were mad, but also phsychic.  And they were valued by other clans that had the patience enough to listen to their ravings.