Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DaoC 2 is here! Sort of

2»

Comments

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by onthestick

Ehmm..this topic is about Prime... you clever GW2 fans; always find an excuse to shove your videos, pictures and 'best game evarr' in every topic. lol

I liked your blog OP, it was very nice read.

Thats because WvWvW in GW2 is about the same as the RvR in DAoC....

And then its a SciFi game, my predictions after reading the blog is that GW2 will be much closer to DAoC's RvR. Just having PvP with 3 sides and adding some bases does not equall DAoC.

You need to make your mind up,your a journeyman.image

• hoemurrhoemurr Member UncommonPosts: 3

Ehmm..this topic is about Prime... you clever GW2 fans; always find an excuse to shove your videos, pictures and 'best game evarr' in every topic. lol

And then its a SciFi game, my predictions after reading the blog is that GW2 will be much closer to DAoC's RvR. Just having PvP with 3 sides and adding some bases does not equall DAoC.

Dominus is going to be more like DAoC's RvR than GW2. Dominus will have persistant opponents, like DAoC, as opposed to GW2, where your opponent will change every 2 weeks. You're going to get to know your enemy by name in Dominus. Also, Dominus has non mirrored races and classes, like DAoC. GW2, you're going to be fighting the same race and classes that your own "realm" has.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    ^ This.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Biskop

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Originally posted by Biskop

Was in the stress test, hope to get more opportunities to test the game more extensively later on.

Dominus could be really cool. It's good to see developers with a clear focus - they're not trying to please everyone by just tacking on some limited PvP to a PvE themepark, they're building the whole game around PvP and they are building upon the great foundation that DAOC is.

Lots of people have been wanting a DAOC 2 and this is probably it.

The only issue I fear is that some crowds won't like the sci-fi style of the game, but on the other hand other crowds are tired of the fantasy stuff and actually want a different look.

Your right, as a sci-fi setting i don't see it grabbing the crowd a fantasy type setting would grab.. Persons may say they they are tired of the fantasy setting, but those setting most of the time pull the big numbers..

Yeah, and also: there are fantasy settings and there are fantasy settings.

I'm personally sick to death of the WoW-styled, cartoony look with flashing rainbow colours and over-sized weapons and armour. I'm sick of elves and dwarves and dragons.

Still I love the fantasy genre and would really like an MMO with a "dark and gritty", realistic style.

What's wrong with wearing oversized volcanoes with flowing lava and orbiting stones on your shoulders?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by rguilbert

I'm not sure why people are comparing Secret World and GW2 with DAOC. 

DAOC was a persistent, non-instanced world.  The RVR was between three different realms.  There were some PVE safe areas, though many did levelling PVE (at least early on in the game's history) in RVR areas (Darkness Falls, old frontiers, etc).  RVR yielded Realm points, not gear.  Most players used a crafted equipment template rounding out a few high level PVE drops. 

That entire description applies also to Dominus.  It does not apply to SW or GW2.

Do some reading on the Dominus Forums, or watch the Producer videos.  Think of Dominus as a game made by producers who want to make DAOC2, but they just don't have the license for it.  Therefore they have made some cosmetic changes (different name, space instead of fantasy, etc) along with improvements (being careful to preserve the fundamental gameplay of the original). 

Dominus is the real spiritual successor to DAOC.

No no no and no lol.  If they wanted to make DAoC 2 they can just rewrite the Dark Ages of Europe and do it their way.  There is no license against Albion, Hibernia, and Midgard.  These are names from the period and the period's lore.  They can just go at it if they wish.  And I am sure there are a lot of us daoc fans that fantasize (mind the pun) that they would.  But they won't.  No one will create a 3 realm fantasy mmorpg.  ANd and...if IF they do, it will be mirrored classes and instancing.  That's just the sad truth of it.

For now, it's Planetside 2 and Dominus if you want 3 factions.  And only Dominus has the sense to really make the classes across factions DIFFERENT.  For God's sakes why is it so hard for developers to create an enemy that is different than I am lol.

/2 cents

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Ummm nope.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Well Dominus sounds interesting, but GW2 is out sooner and appears to satisfy my RvR needs.  (I also prefer fantasy to sci-fi)

Honestly, im not so sure why the non-mirrored classes, and constant enemies is such a selling point for you guys.  I couldn;t care less about learning my enemies names - its my comrades I want to get to know.  And same classes..  meh, it stops dead any arguments about one faction having the better classes to choose from. 

Anyway, if I get bored of GW2, I will certainly be checking out this game..   

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Tawn47

Well Dominus sounds interesting, but GW2 is out sooner and appears to satisfy my RvR needs.  (I also prefer fantasy to sci-fi)

Honestly, im not so sure why the non-mirrored classes, and constant enemies is such a selling point for you guys.  I couldn;t care less about learning my enemies names - its my comrades I want to get to know.  And same classes..  meh, it stops dead any arguments about one faction having the better classes to choose from. 

Probably sooner than later

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

You would have a blast playing SWTOR / Warhammer online / Rift / WoW / yadda yadda... they have all the things that dont matter to you

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

See how the gameplay works out before fighting over the 'spiritual successor' agenda.

Gamers have been burned by that line before, and the makers of Dominus know it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

If you never played DAoC then I can understand those things not being a selling point.

But for me, who played DAoC from day 1 its a huge selling point. I had many many rivals on the opposite faction. Many of whom I played against for years and years. We would often look for and single out each other on the battlefield. Or even help each other against the Hibs ( always hated the Hibbies lol)

Maybe it has been so long since a game had that people have forgotten or never experienced it. So I can understand why you dont care.

On topic: I have been watching Dominus since I heard about it a year or so ago. Hopefully it will live up to the expectations.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by jdnewell

If you never played DAoC then I can understand those things not being a selling point.

But for me, who played DAoC from day 1 its a huge selling point. I had many many rivals on the opposite faction. Many of whom I played against for years and years. We would often look for and single out each other on the battlefield. Or even help each other against the Hibs ( always hated the Hibbies lol)

Maybe it has been so long since a game had that people have forgotten or never experienced it. So I can understand why you dont care.

On topic: I have been watching Dominus since I heard about it a year or so ago. Hopefully it will live up to the expectations.

probly be decent but it wont be perfect at release

• qwop22qwop22 Member Posts: 4

The 3 faction PvP is like DAoC, but nothing much else is. For me personally, the strong love of DAoC came out of its dark, gritty fantasy mixed with the medieval setting of Albion (Britain), Hibernia (Ireland), and Midgard (Norway, etc.). Seeing huge medieal castles being beseiged by catapults and rams was so awesome. Leveling up out in the Salisbury Plains fighting giants and other fanatasy creatures was great. Traveling into the dark, gruesome depths of Darkness Falls to slay crazy hellish demons. The characters looked badass covered in chainmail, plate, cloaks, leather, studded, etc all dyed to your personal choice of colors. The game inspired realm pride and guild pride. It was stirring to see your guild charge into a line of battle, swords out and your unique guild emblem emblazoned on everyones cloaks and shields. Too many games nowadays are way too cartoony and colorful for my taste. Unfortunately, I dont think there will ever be another game that speaks to me as strongly as DAoC did/does. Another great thing about DAoC is in the early years it was before all this instance crap MMOs do now. In the old days you had to go into public zones/dungeons and camp spots and build a successful group to level. Sure, it took more time and the game took longer to level; but thats what made it great. MMO's are so streamlined now. Plus instanced PvP really kills PvP, even if there is an open world PvP. This is exactly what happed to WAR. Sure, it had a bunch of open world PvP zones, but everyone ultimately just went straight ot the easy instance PvP. Also, WAR had 2 factions, so that was a fail right off the bat. Another thing people forget about DAoC is the crafting system. People dedicated so much time to mastering one area of crafting; and player crafted items used to be the best in the game. It created a sense of community. You had to get perfectly crafted pieces, and spellcraft them to create awesome templates. But this all went away when MMO's went the way of dungeon grinding and raiding for the top tier armor sets. Who wants to grind mobs for weeks just to get one piece of armor that EVERYONE ELSE HAS. That's so boring; at least DAoC had personality when it came to individual characters and armor. 

To me this game just looks like a sc-fi cartoon joke. Nothing about the lands or characters make me want to play it. 

I followed the rumors of ZeniMax Online's top secret MMO since 2007, and now we finally know what it is: Elder Scrolls Online. At first, i was thrilled to hear they chose TES as the IP. The Elder Scrolls is so rich and deep in lore and lands, it would create an amazing MMO. Also, they are including 3 faction PvP and public dungeons. However, after seeing the leaked pictures of the game and reading the Game Infomer article, I am starting to worry it will just be another WoW clone in TES skin. Right off the bat, the pictures alone made me moan in disappointment. TES games are DARK, AND GRITTY. Nothing in those released photos looks dark and gritty. Apparently, they are using the same engine SWTOR uses; and it just looks horrible. The engine just screams cartoony. How could you make a Elder Scrolls MMO and not match the look and feel of Skyrim. The characters shown in these ESO pictures look goofy. 

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by Raxeon

Originally posted by jdnewell

probly be decent but it wont be perfect at release

Guys you do know Dominus is dead right,gone the way of the dodo Pitchblack pulled the plug which was a pity as i was in a very brief closed Beta,shame it did have promise also was showing what Hero was really capable of.

http://forums.dominusthegame.com/index.php?/topic/1811-closing-down/

p>
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

luckily TESO is looking like it might be DAOC2 (hopefully they keep tes crafting & char progression though).  RVR, open world, open dungeons and all.

I like GW2, but swaping the servers around and anominity in "casual" pvp, ain't daoc 2.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

there won't be much swapping when it costs you $25

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No swapping them every 2 weeks, not player swapping