Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Bought Eye of the North

AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Anyway, I haven't played GW in a couple of years and wanted to work on HoM. I bought Eye of the North through the NCsoft store and have no idea as to how it is added to my account. I see nothing in my account and nothing in the startup or character screens. ;( Do they ship it to me?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Comments

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

You should find a quest in one of the major cities that will start a quest chain that will bring you to the EotN, ie Lions Arch, Kaineng Center or Kamadon depending on which city your previous characters have access to.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

EotN probably has one of the easiest book completions of all the campaigns, but probably the most to do outside of the main story line. It also gives you options of what order you want to complete each race's mission arc.

After you've entered your serial code, In order to get to EotN find a quest guy in any of the major capital cities, and they will tell you to investigate a tremor outside of the city, said tremor turns out to be a cave that leads you to the Northern Shiverpeak, from there on have at thee.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Wow, thank you for the fast responses. I'm completely lost!   

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by Amjoco

Wow, thank you for the fast responses. I'm completely lost!   I have a level 20 monk in the pvp only areal, should I start a new character and if yes where and what?

Mesmer, Ritualist, Assassin, Elementalist, Dervish all do well solo or with heroes. Elementalist recently received a massive update that changed the functions of almost all of their elites, and changed the Hard Mode armor values to Normal Mode armor values, but instead increased the Health of Hard Mode mobs, thus making all forms of damage equally acceptable.

If you don't have heroes, I would really recommend getting used to how they work, ai patterns and how flagging works and such, as well as figuring out which skills can be used on heroes efficiently.

Beast Mastery for rangers received and update a while back, which allows their pets to do more damage in pve, as well as the changes that were made to BM in itself, giving BM the highest DPS of the their primary attributes.

Dervishes were changed, some say for the worse, many of their forms are lesser shadows of what they used to be, where as their non form skills were drastically improved, such as the ability to maintain 35 damage reduction and +12 Health regen, along with access to a hundred blades enchant and a splinter weapon enchant. Their enchants are now much lower cooldown along with a new function known as flash enchants. These enchants have no instant cast delay nor any cast time, but cooldown eachother, much like a global cooldown for flash enchants only.  No one really sees their value in PvE, until they see you solo a room in the deep, only relying on your healing and your damage.

Monks in PvE don't function well with heroes if you're playing the roll of a support monk, and playing a smite monk efficiently takes a bit of practice, practice that the AI don't need. As for team play in PvE, well you get sucked into these gimmick rolls known as Unyielding Aura( a +% healing increase that doubles as an instant res) and  Healer's Boon( That allows for 50% faster Healing prayers spell casting and 50% more healing from those spells as well) Ultimately leaving you with a mindless job that any moron could pull off. Then again that goes for pretty much everything in PvE, because everyone would rather exert as little effort as possible and make everything extremely boring by using gimmick builds. Which ends up creating players with a mentallity that if they don't have the right build that they can't function in a dungeon, when in actuallity the reason they can't function in a dungeon is because they're horrible at video games, but I digress. Only play a monk if you have others to play with, or are willing to attempt prot tanking.

Warriors are only really good at soaking up damage, not particularly sought after as damage dealers, but stance tanking can be fun, if you like pressing one button and not taking damage.

Paragons are the red headed step childs, end of story.

Ritualist are great at Damage dealing, minion tanking, and support. Honestly I wish they never existed, most people play the class like TF2 engineer right after the engineer update hit, creating as many turrets as possible and hiding behind them. As for PvP, they're in between.

Sins are the god child of the game, with high survivability, mobility, damage, and control. Anet seems to nerf many professions that Sins benefit from as a secondary profession.

Necro's like monks get pigeoned into the most boring builds because of their effectiveness when paired with other builds. Essentially is all people really want from Necro's is Spiteful Spirit, Mark of Pain,  Blood is Power, and Foul Feast. Discordway still kind of works and is probably the most action you can get out of a necro.

Then again all of these are just my poorly written opinions and the profession that you choose to play is ultimately up to you, though I would recommend playing the profession that suits you best.

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Originally posted by Amjoco

Wow, thank you for the fast responses. I'm completely lost!   I have a level 20 monk in the pvp only areal, should I start a new character and if yes where and what?

Mesmer, Ritualist, Assassin, Elementalist, Dervish all do well solo or with heroes. Elementalist recently received a massive update that changed the functions of almost all of their elites, and changed the Hard Mode armor values to Normal Mode armor values, but instead increased the Health of Hard Mode mobs, thus making all forms of damage equally acceptable.

If you don't have heroes, I would really recommend getting used to how they work, ai patterns and how flagging works and such, as well as figuring out which skills can be used on heroes efficiently.

Beast Mastery for rangers received and update a while back, which allows their pets to do more damage in pve, as well as the changes that were made to BM in itself, giving BM the highest DPS of the their primary attributes.

Dervishes were changed, some say for the worse, many of their forms are lesser shadows of what they used to be, where as their non form skills were drastically improved, such as the ability to maintain 35 damage reduction and +12 Health regen, along with access to a hundred blades enchant and a splinter weapon enchant. Their enchants are now much lower cooldown along with a new function known as flash enchants. These enchants have no instant cast delay nor any cast time, but cooldown eachother, much like a global cooldown for flash enchants only.  No one really sees their value in PvE, until they see you solo a room in the deep, only relying on your healing and your damage.

Monks in PvE don't function well with heroes if you're playing the roll of a support monk, and playing a smite monk efficiently takes a bit of practice, practice that the AI don't need. As for team play in PvE, well you get sucked into these gimmick rolls known as Unyielding Aura( a +% healing increase that doubles as an instant res) and  Healer's Boon( That allows for 50% faster Healing prayers spell casting and 50% more healing from those spells as well) Ultimately leaving you with a mindless job that any moron could pull off. Then again that goes for pretty much everything in PvE, because everyone would rather exert as little effort as possible and make everything extremely boring by using gimmick builds. Which ends up creating players with a mentallity that if they don't have the right build that they can't function in a dungeon, when in actuallity the reason they can't function in a dungeon is because they're horrible at video games, but I digress. Only play a monk if you have others to play with, or are willing to attempt prot tanking.

Warriors are only really good at soaking up damage, not particularly sought after as damage dealers, but stance tanking can be fun, if you like pressing one button and not taking damage.

Paragons are the red headed step childs, end of story.

Ritualist are great at Damage dealing, minion tanking, and support. Honestly I wish they never existed, most people play the class like TF2 engineer right after the engineer update hit, creating as many turrets as possible and hiding behind them. As for PvP, they're in between.

Sins are the god child of the game, with high survivability, mobility, damage, and control. Anet seems to nerf many professions that Sins benefit from as a secondary profession.

Necro's like monks get pigeoned into the most boring builds because of their effectiveness when paired with other builds. Essentially is all people really want from Necro's is Spiteful Spirit, Mark of Pain,  Blood is Power, and Foul Feast. Discordway still kind of works and is probably the most action you can get out of a necro.

Then again all of these are just my poorly written opinions and the profession that you choose to play is ultimately up to you, though I would recommend playing the profession that suits you best.

That is a lot to take in! Thank you for the extensive post. I beleive the Ritualist may be fun. Like I said I played years ago and haven't a clue as what I'm doing. I quite honestly didn't play long because the control and movement felt odd. I have a G13 gamepad so I will get started with that. Thank you again!

Next question guys. I'm looking at builds on different sites and trying to learn more before I get to into the game and screw up so badly I can't turn back. Anwyay, what is the + after say for example. Hammer Mastery 11 + 3 + 1

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

You can get your initial stat up using points,  for example if you have a mesmer you could say put points into Domination until it caps at 12 then to take it further you will need runes to put on your armour some of these runes will have a negative effect of -35 health.

a rune of minor domination will give you +1 to one piece of armour

a rune of major domination will give you +2 to another piece of armour but may give -35 health

therefore having domination set at 12 +1 +2

I havnt been accurate just giving you ideas so people dont critisize me for being wrong on the effects or name of runes or numbers, just used as an example.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

A message should pop up as you port into one of the following towns

Lions Arch

Kamadam

Kaineng

It should tell you to talk to a named npc, if my memory serves me correct that npc will tell you to check a rift out near the city, green arrow on your mini map should point you in the right direction, the rift is not to far from the city.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Campaign_travel

That link should help you on your merry way.

Originally posted by biggarfoot

A message should pop up as you port into one of the following towns

Lions Arch

Kamadam

Kaineng

It should tell you to talk to a named npc, if my memory serves me correct that npc will tell you to check a rift out near the city, green arrow on your mini map should point you in the right direction, the rift is not to far from the city.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Campaign_travel

That link should help you on your merry way.

Awesome! Thank you for both your posts. I understand much more now.