Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets, new and old... where are you going?

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The great news about ArcheAge is when (if) they finally get a distributor, it's going to be a very polished game. The videos alone are amazing. It really shows how bland, empty and dumbed-down MMOs of today are, not to mention pathetic.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Did a bunch of posts just get excised from this thread?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Voiidiin

So really i will admit i first started SWG on release day and i was drawn to it because it was Star Wars, but what kept me playing that game was the mechanics, the Raph Koster influence on the whole game.

While not a single game since right before the NGE has really held my attention like SWG did, i have tried several MMOs since.

Nothing has grabbed my attention like the sandbox gameplay as SWG did. Themeparks just plain bore me to death, i have tried them all and lost interest in all of them in a matter of weeks/months.

If Raph Koster made a new game based around his ideas and not tied into a major "ip" i would jump on that game in a heartbeat. Maybe we could get him to start a kickstarter project ?

Anyhow i am waiting on GW2, TSW, Dominus, and eventually ArcheAge. 

As a side thought here, if EvE ever implemented ship interiors and then ship to ship boarding and assaults i would join that game in a flat second, or if some space game did that. Space combat like SWG but individual players could lead assaults on other player ships..... such a dream of mine.

I don't understand why a developer hasn't jumped all over designing another SWG type mmo after seeing all of these "we want another SWG type mmo" posts. I would delete every mmo account I have if someone were to make an MMO with the best of both Pre-NGE and NGE SWG. Yes...I liked a lot of NGE too.

• RegokRegok Member UncommonPosts: 27

Going to be trying out an indie sandbox called The Repopulation. Inspired by SWG and has some neat ideas.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

So really i will admit i first started SWG on release day and i was drawn to it because it was Star Wars, but what kept me playing that game was the mechanics, the Raph Koster influence on the whole game.

While not a single game since right before the NGE has really held my attention like SWG did, i have tried several MMOs since.

Nothing has grabbed my attention like the sandbox gameplay as SWG did. Themeparks just plain bore me to death, i have tried them all and lost interest in all of them in a matter of weeks/months.

If Raph Koster made a new game based around his ideas and not tied into a major "ip" i would jump on that game in a heartbeat. Maybe we could get him to start a kickstarter project ?

As a side thought here, if EvE ever implemented ship interiors and then ship to ship boarding and assaults i would join that game in a flat second, or if some space game did that. Space combat like SWG but individual players could lead assaults on other player ships..... such a dream of mine.

I don't understand why a developer hasn't jumped all over designing another SWG type mmo after seeing all of these "we want another SWG type mmo" posts. I would delete every mmo account I have if someone were to make an MMO with the best of both Pre-NGE and NGE SWG. Yes...I liked a lot of NGE too.

There will be the inevitable response of "SWG wasn't successful," blah blah. I agree with you. The game was a paradigm for good play with serious longevity.

Originally posted by ignore_me

Of course, that's how it works here.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Even though NGE was theme park, it was located inside of a sandbox so there was so much more depth there.

Originally posted by Zekiah

Of course, that's how it works here.

wow, just ... wow

There will be the inevitable response of "SWG wasn't successful," blah blah. I agree with you. The game was a paradigm for good play with serious longevity.

It was way ahead of its time. Look what we're left with today. Dead worlds on rails, lifeless NPCs, no swimming etc.

It's so sad it's almost laughable.

It's funny but it seems like the SWG vets are suffering from not just grief (which diminishes in acuteness over time) but complicated grief as we are having continuing thoughts of the game we loved so much. I feel like talking to SWG vets is like my freakin support group. In my guilds in other games I find myself talking with other SWG vets about the game and how great it was. I left several times (CU and NGE) but always ended up coming back for new content and to refresh my house and ship.

I know there is no SWG 2, but I sure wish there was.

It's funny but it seems like the SWG vets are suffering from not just grief (which diminishes in acuteness over time) but complicated grief as we are having continuing thoughts of the game we loved so much. I feel like talking to SWG vets is like my freakin support group. In my guilds in other games I find myself talking with other SWG vets about the game and how great it was. I left several times (CU and NGE) but always ended up coming back for new content and to refresh my house and ship.

It's complicated and the younger gamers don't understand.

If I had to pin it down to the major reason why that feeling exsists, it would be our past vision of possibility. Looking back at UO and SWG, we saw HUGE potential for future MMOs. But we never got that, instead the MMO industry has morphed into a cash-hungry beast with no thought to its customers. It's no longer about living, breathing worlds as it used to be. Now, it's about quick box sales and bottom lines. It's not about fun, it's about cash, and as much of ours as they can grab. It's not about small office gamers it's about corporate office suits.

Quite simply, the MMO industry has failed us, the gamer.

Try telling that to the WoW generation though, you'll just get deer in headlights.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I'm with you bud

If I had to pin it down to the major reason why that feeling exsists, it would be our past vision of possibility. Looking back at UO and SWG, we saw HUGE potential for future MMOs. But we never got that, instead the MMO industry has morphed into a cash-hungry beast with no thought to its customers. It's no longer about living, breathing worlds as it used to be. Now, it's about quick box sales and bottom lines. It's not about fun, it's about cash, and as much of ours as they can grab. It's not about small office gamers it's about corporate office suits.

Try telling that to the WoW generation though, you'll just get deer in headlights.

In my experience they want to attack you for telling them there is real sunlight outside of the cave, that you dont have to see by torchlight alone.

In my experience they want to attack you for telling them there is real sunlight outside of the cave, that you dont have to see by torchlight alone.

Well because they never got to drive the Ferrari like we did. They're stuck with a Yugo in a blingy Ferrari cover. To them, they think they're driving the Ferrari. Tell them to look under the hood and they'll just laugh and scoff.

It is what it is. We're living in the future of possibilities that never arrived.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I'm with you bud

Well, kinda sorta maybe a lttle in a limited way....there is.

But we can't talk about it here wthout violating TOS.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

lol ive been playing EVE since the shut down of SWG. I laso found a really cool game........it is SWG but then again its not SWG...........lol. Way better then the SWG that ended in DEC. 

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Regok

Going to be trying out an indie sandbox called The Repopulation. Inspired by SWG and has some neat ideas.

QFE.  Keeping an eye on that one...even signed up for Alpha testing :)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

played some pre cu swg but felt like it was  a big chat room and left, now i am enjoying the heck out of SWTOR

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 273

Started out playing The Realm and had fun.  Then jumped into SWG from day one as Acornia on Lowca and had a blast as a dancer.  Stayed through pre-cu, though I hated it, till the NEG mess.  Came back a few times for new game expansions to see how they were, but did not stay.

Played many other games, latest being Rifts.

Tried SWTOR but left before the 30 free days were up because the game just was not fun for me for many of the same things that has been posted here.

So right now I am not playing any MMOs and will check out Tera and wait the five years it will take to make Pathfinder Online and see how it is.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

This was a sad thread to read through :( A friend got me into this not long before CU & NGE. I HATED it after that. Hoping someday someone has the guts to buck the current trend and make another real MMO.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by eddieg50

played some pre cu swg but felt like it was  a big chat room and left, now i am enjoying the heck out of SWTOR

Too hard for you huh?

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Yanshee

Too hard for you huh?

LOL why would a chat room be to hard for me?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by Yanshee

Too hard for you huh?

LOL why would a chat room be to hard for me?

Anti-social tendencies?
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

:)  Oh no where should we go?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by wormywyrm
    :)  Oh no where should we go?

The GW2 forums seem to have plenty of PVP going on at the moment