Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet aren't messing around with NDA breakers

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

The reasons to have a NDA is simply to help the product finish faster, easier, and with less complications in the making. In Guild Wars 2, which I am sure everyone knows by now is in public beta, is a still incomplete and unfinished product. Guild Wars 2 is completely new to the MMO genre, boasting several new practices never seen or implemented all at once in a single game. Having a NDA not only protects it from haveing ideas stolen by other companies, until it is released with no threat of such happening and affecting it, it also keeps back the overflow of information that would come should there be no NDA, and for a incomplete product at that. The reson for beta is to find bugs and other problems in the game, and for the company to fix those before coming out. Having an umpteen amount of people pointing it out, making a big deal about it, and whining about the problem is counter productive and silly. Also, having a controlled flow of info coming in from its testers allows the company to focus more easily on real problems, and not having a jumbled mess of what is what, allowing for the company to get its job done faster and easier. Now while some MMOs have done without NDAs, it must be remembered that these are 1. Small MMOs that require little testing 2. Huge experienced companies that have been doing this for years now 3. Companies that simply do not care about input, or believe themselves all high and mighty and unable to fail. Of course, there have been cases where 3 has applied to MMOs with and NDA, but they have still ended up popular. Anet and Bioware are both examples of inexperienced companies, both with NDAs, unlike Blizzard which is an example of an experienced one.

Or 4. Companies that believe in and are proud of the product they are creating.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by RefMinor

The reasons to have a NDA is simply to help the product finish faster, easier, and with less complications in the making. In Guild Wars 2, which I am sure everyone knows by now is in public beta, is a still incomplete and unfinished product. Guild Wars 2 is completely new to the MMO genre, boasting several new practices never seen or implemented all at once in a single game. Having a NDA not only protects it from haveing ideas stolen by other companies, until it is released with no threat of such happening and affecting it, it also keeps back the overflow of information that would come should there be no NDA, and for a incomplete product at that. The reson for beta is to find bugs and other problems in the game, and for the company to fix those before coming out. Having an umpteen amount of people pointing it out, making a big deal about it, and whining about the problem is counter productive and silly. Also, having a controlled flow of info coming in from its testers allows the company to focus more easily on real problems, and not having a jumbled mess of what is what, allowing for the company to get its job done faster and easier. Now while some MMOs have done without NDAs, it must be remembered that these are 1. Small MMOs that require little testing 2. Huge experienced companies that have been doing this for years now 3. Companies that simply do not care about input, or believe themselves all high and mighty and unable to fail. Of course, there have been cases where 3 has applied to MMOs with and NDA, but they have still ended up popular. Anet and Bioware are both examples of inexperienced companies, both with NDAs, unlike Blizzard which is an example of an experienced one.

That goes with 3 . If they think it is already perfect ( or at least the best) they don't have to listen to the testers, now don't they? I also think that those with an NDA are more proud that those that don't, if they had something to hide, there wouldn't be a public beta, and if the producer is truly proud of their game, they are willing to accept feedback from it, but not too much as I explained earlier.
  • DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Uh they progress faster, can get stuff faster?  Pay2win  blatantly... i love how the fanbois are trying to downplay it when it is so obviously pay to win. 

Btw the auto leveling is irrelevant when it comes to traits. 

Pay 2 win means you literally have to pay to be able to win. If you don't buy xp/karma boosts are you restricted from leveling or gaining karma? Nope. Are you restricted from getting the same gear? Nope. It offers nothing but the convienance of doing things slightly quicker. I suggest you go play Runes of Magic and then learn what pay 2 win actually is before using the term again. When you literally cannot compete no matter how much time you put in unless you pay, that is pay 2 win.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

No pay2win means you literally can win by paying. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Distaste

Uh they progress faster, can get stuff faster?  Pay2win  blatantly... i love how the fanbois are trying to downplay it when it is so obviously pay to win. 

Pay 2 win means you literally have to pay to be able to win. If you don't buy xp/karma boosts are you restricted from leveling or gaining karma? Nope. Are you restricted from getting the same gear? Nope. It offers nothing but the convienance of doing things slightly quicker. I suggest you go play Runes of Magic and then learn what pay 2 win actually is before using the term again. When you literally cannot compete no matter how much time you put in unless you pay, that is pay 2 win.

Difrent definitions of P2W obviously.

For me P2W mean = dollars are able to buy you any sort of advantage over non-paying user. Even if temporary.

NOTE: this does not have to be direct combat advantage , that can be multitude of things.

Remember your post about what is P2W is an opinion same as mine.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

That goes with 3 . If they think it is already perfect ( or at least the best) they don't have to listen to the testers, now don't they? I also think that those with an NDA are more proud that those that don't, if they had something to hide, there wouldn't be a public beta, and if the producer is truly proud of their game, they are willing to accept feedback from it, but not too much as I explained earlier.

Without an NDA beta testers can put videos of faults online, not having an NDA shows the company is more committed to fixing things before release.
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Sooo much spectualtion.  Call it what you will, but I will defeat anyone who uses these "convience" items any day of the week.  You have mroe traits and skills than me?  Doesn't matter because I will outclass you with knowing my class better than you know yours.  Can't wait to steamroll all the people who think the cashshop items are going to give them an advantage.  Your tears will be delicious.

Without an NDA beta testers can put videos of faults online, not having an NDA shows the company is more committed to fixing things before release.

So having 20 videos of the same problem or 20 threads of the same problem helps? I would think that having a controlled group of people naming these problems would be easier than having a tsunami of people crying about it. It also turns people of a game, even if the problem has been fixed, which no company wants to do.
  • EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Media doenst have an NDA, it only has an embargo on content till monday so really the game will be shown off by tons of people, all ANET is doing is stopping crap streams from people with the free version of fraps.

Nevermind that there is more in game footage of GW2 then basically every other MMO in existence at this point in production. They were letting people play and film their game back in 2010.

Originally posted by fenistil

For me P2W mean = dollars are able to buy you any sort of advantage over non-paying user. Even if temporary.

NOTE: this does not have to be direct combat advantage , that can be multitude of things.

Then every game is P2W.

Better internet means less latiency, better mouse and keyboard means better respose time, better hardware means better draw distance and better FPS, bigger monitor means you can support higher FOV.

More money means you can take a week off of work versus those who have more bills to pay.

Nevermind that the people who are going to be getting to cap first are going to be unemployed most likely.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I think a lot of your assumption is based on not playing the game yet.

If you don't understand how progressing your character faster can help you in gw2, you don't know much about the game. 

Then please explain it. That is what I asked. You just keep saying "BAH it is pay to win".

Originally posted by Ezekel

Originally posted by fenistil

Then every game is P2W.

Better internet means less latiency, better mouse and keyboard means better respose time, better hardware means better draw distance and better FPS, bigger monitor means you can support higher FOV.

More money means you can take a week off of work versus those who have more bills to pay.

Nevermind that the people who are going to be getting to cap first are going to be unemployed most likely.

I guess it is too for you to understand the difference between what the game company offers, and external factors that the company has no control over.  They don't control which ISP or peripherals you use.  They can control the xp boosts you buy though.

Typical fanbois downplay everything bad about a game.  Get rid of those rose tinted goggles .

Media doenst have an NDA, it only has an embargo on content till monday so really the game will be shown off by tons of people, all ANET is doing is stopping crap streams from people with the free version of fraps.

Nevermind that there is more in game footage of GW2 then basically every other MMO in existence at this point in production. They were letting people play and film their game back in 2010.

I do not know who you are replying to, but I agree. Again, everything so far has been controlled.

I guess it is too for you to understand the difference between what the game company offers, and external factors that the company has no control over.  They don't control which ISP or peripherals you use.  They can control the xp boosts you buy though.

Typical fanbois downplay everything bad about a game.  Get rid of those rose tinted goggles .

How about you stop complaining that ANET wants to make money.

Why do you care that somebody else is going to hit the level cap before you? We are getting an MMO for 60 bucks with hundreds and hundreds of hours of content with no monthly fee and you are complaining that somebody can level slightly faster then you?

Crap you cant even play WoW or SWTOR without dropping around 15 dollars a month, talk about pay to win. They dont even let you advance at all without paying money. They literally stop you from gaining XP at all if you don't pay.

Why do you care that somebody else is going to hit the level cap before you? We are getting an MMO for 60 bucks with hundreds and hundreds of hours of content with no monthly fee and you are complaining that somebody can level slightly faster then you?

Crap you cant even play WoW or SWTOR without dropping around 15 dollars a month, talk about pay to win. They dont even let you advance at all without paying money. They literally stop you from gaining XP at all if you don't pay.

Why is it when WoW does something it is corporate greed, when anet does something greedy it is "making an honest buck"  get rid of the gogles.

Why is it when WoW does something it is corporate greed, when anet does something greedy it is "making an honest buck"  get rid of the gogles.

Did I ever say that Blizzard is being greedy? No I did not. There is nothing wrong with P2P MMOs, but I prefer GW2 B2P model.

All I am saying is that GW2 is giving you all the content in the game for 60 bucks, no monthly fee. It only takes about 100 hours to get to max level, which is pretty standard fare for MMOs today maybe even faster then the average. There is no gear grind at max level, you can literally buy it from vendors or get crafted armor.

Competitive PvP has no gear or leveling system at all, you can literally just play for ten minutes to get past the intro and you can PvP with no statistical disadvantage.

Did I ever say that Blizzard is being greedy? No I did not. There is nothing wrong with P2P MMOs, but I prefer GW2 B2P model.

All I am saying is that GW2 is giving you all the content in the game for 60 bucks, no monthly fee. It only takes about 100 hours to get to max level, which is pretty standard fare for MMOs today maybe even faster then the average. There is no gear grind at max level, you can literally buy it from vendors or get crafted armor.

Competitive PvP has no gear or leveling system at all, you can literally just play for ten minutes to get past the intro and you can PvP with no statistical disadvantage.

Get traited upon son.

Get traited upon son.

I have no idea what your on about.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Get traited upon son.

I have no idea what your on about.

I THINK I know what he is trying to say. If I am understanding him, he is trying to say that people with an xp bonus bought from the cash store will level faster. There for they will have more abilities then you and have an advantage. He doesnt understand that some people dont care because they are not going to rush. That then means cash store or not, some people are going to be higher level then folks like me and I have no problem with that.  

tl;dr he is afraid that he wont be first to max level

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

For those that think leveling is a competition then I suppose the xp boosters is an advantage. 

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Skarecrow7

That is not a good thing, shows fear, look at ArcheAge, it has no NDA! users can post videos of their own personal gameplay online, having an NDA shows a lack of confidence in your product.

except for the fact there is no NA version on the game. Once AA has someone working on an english version then I will be impressed if they dont have an nda... whenever that happens.

TERA is in the exact same situation and they don't have an NDA

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by xKingdomx

That is not a good thing, shows fear, look at ArcheAge, it has no NDA! users can post videos of their own personal gameplay online, having an NDA shows a lack of confidence in your product.

except for the fact there is no NA version on the game. Once AA has someone working on an english version then I will be impressed if they dont have an nda... whenever that happens.

TERA has been out for a year.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by xKingdomx

TERA has been out for a year.

Did you read what he was qouted because if you would have you'd probaly understand why Tera being out for a year would be a similar situation when AA is being made for NA.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Or it could be fear of other companies learning and implementing specific mechanic details before they can even release the game.   *****cough*****cough*****Blizzard******cough******cough******

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Master10K

"Reminder to all closed beta players:you're under NDA. Don't risk breaking the NDA, you could permanently lose access to all ArenaNet games." - GW2 Tweet

Ban Hammer