Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RMT for the rich, and bots for the poor.

PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

So, since RMT is becoming bigger and bigger, and people justify it with "But it's better that the game company gets the money", is it then okay for the poor to bot while sleeping, so we can keep up with the gamers who have too much money irl?

Or should the rich just have more fun than the poor, in virtual worlds, like they do irl?

Make one legal and you might aswell do the other too, imo... Even out the playing field.

MMO's will become a very expensive hobby in the future, and I would still like to able to enjoy 'em, but I cannot, and will never be able to afford to be competitive in a game where power is bought with cash..

So if not this, then what is the solution for poor people in future MMO's?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    That's a fair point, I would prefer a straight sub based game, can live with a pure cosmetic shop.
  • Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by PieRad

, so we can keep up with the gamers who have too much money irl?

Or should the rich just have more fun than the poor, in virtual worlds, like they do irl?

Make one legal and you might aswell do the other too, imo... Even out the playing field.

I think for you this rich vs. poor thing might go a little deeper than online gaming. ;)

Originally posted by zekkcc

, so we can keep up with the gamers who have too much money irl?

I think for you this rich vs. poor thing might go a little deeper than online gaming. ;)

Not really, it's like having a game of chess where one side can replace fallen pieces if they have the money, can you really not see why people would not wish to even play and why they might be unhappy because that is the way the industry is heading.
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by zekkcc

-snip-

I guess you are refering to my name and sig? heh.

But ye, obviously, who wouldn't want to enough money to live without care of what everything costs, not saying they have a better life, just saying life is easier that way... But that's a bit off-topic :)

My point is, gaming is one of the things I can enjoy and where you and I will be equal, only seperated by time spent... But that I can live with, if you spent more time than me, then you deserve to be ahead of me, cause time I can afford, I can just choose to be more in-game, if that's what I really wanted...

I can't just choose to buy everything x3 in the cash shop to catch up, that might have some serious consequences irl, for me personally.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

You could just work yer arse off in game, doing the things you didn't really want to do, to get the game gold to buy those cash shop items from those who had the RL money for. image

Once upon a time....

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Wanted: Level 80 Thief, with all titles, maxed gear, and all skill points. Willing to pay $5000

After the transaction, well let's start playing the game. So off to my first zone....wth, why am I level 3 now? I payed for 80?

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by RefMinor

That's a fair point, I would prefer a straight sub based game, can live with a pure cosmetic shop.

Subscription I'm still unsure about, but there are gameplay flaws even with that method. Subscription based games should give the cheapest rate to everybody, not those that can afford a years worth of game time up front. Make one month cost the same for everybody, and stop rewarding those that can drop a ton of cash up front for a couple of months. In other words lets drive the monthly subscription price down, and break the $14.99 a month mold.

Now about the cosmetic shop I still don't understand why it is needed.  They should release the content through updates since they are getting subscription money from the players they need to reward those players with the content, not through a cosmetic shop.  They shouldn't create the content if they know it isn't going to bring any revenue.  Save it for expanions, and on this topic of expansions.  If you are going to release expansions for the love of god don't increase the level cap.  When the level cap increases the game is basically saying they don't want new players to join the game.  When you add new zones through expansions, and increase the level cap you basically have taken all of your playerbase and thrown it into these new areas.  This means that any new player that starts from the beginning will feel very isolated in zones that have no population simply because everybody is increasing in level, and moved on to the new 'Game'.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

So, since RMT is becoming bigger and bigger, and people justify it with "But it's better that the game company gets the money", is it then okay for the poor to bot while sleeping, so we can keep up with the gamers who have too much money irl?

MMO's will become a very expensive hobby in the future, and I would still like to able to enjoy 'em, but I cannot, and will never be able to afford to be competitive in a game where power is bought with cash..

Well to be honost I do have the money to spend. But more importantly to me is that I am a gamer, what I want to achieve in a game I do by playing the game. I see absolute no reason to buy anything ingame at cashshops. It just goes against my gamers believe. And this is stricktly personal and in no way ment that I feel all gamers should be like that, cause all of us into video games are gamers, we might just have a different approach in how we play our games.

So my solution is simply enjoy the games that YOU enjoy and don't worry that much about how others enjoy it, but you have to be a patient type of gamer and simply know that it only takes time to get there where you want to go. And you don't need to be in a rush to cap, just enjoy the journey

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

Solution: Play the games you like and not the others.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm sort of getting tired of having to say this over and over but, RMT is the same as it ever was.  It was frowned apon and still is but the "rich" still did it and it hurt the poor.  It's always been like this.

Too many people stubbornly and blindly equate monthly fees to a level playing field and it's never been so.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Originally posted by Alders

I'm sort of getting tired of having to say this over and over but, RMT is the same as it ever was.  It was frowned apon and still is but the "rich" still did it and it hurt the poor.  It's always been like this.

Too many people stubbornly and blindly equate monthly fees to a level playing field and it's never been so.

but you also had a laugh when people spending hundreds in goldselling sites or thousands for characters/accounts were busted and banned, or hacked by the sellers shortly after.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

LOL! Class warfare in video games?  Really?

Its not about poor and rich...its about who had time and who doesn't.  Itll always be this way,  those who play MMO's more will always have an advantage over those who play less just from having the experience of using their skills longer and understanding the fundamentals better. 

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

"Dangnabbit, in my day you had to GRIND for days on end to get that spiffy Stick of Ultimate Coolness. And if you did not sit and camp a spawn for weeks on end, YOU WEREN'T TRYING! And now they want to let these medddlesome kids have an easy route out by allowing RMT?  I tell ya, ever since that Roosevelt fella got into the White House it has been hell to be a red blooded, god fearin MMO player who sits for hours on end, grinding."

TL;DR: Haters gonna hate.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Sagasaint

Originally posted by Alders

but you also had a laugh when people spending hundreds in goldselling sites or thousands for characters/accounts were busted and banned, or hacked by the sellers shortly after.

Only briefly.  There was a guy that sold his FFXI account for 7k and recalled it later.  The guy that purchased it was out 7k but it didn't matter because he was some rich oil kid from UAE.  He just threw more money and bought more accounts/gold.  It doesn't matter to the top end RMT'ers. 

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

In a sub game, there should be no shop, period.

If its cosmetics, the RP'ers pay.

If its PvP tools, the PvP'ers pay.

If its dungeons and raids, the PvE'ers pay.

Would it be okay for you if we let your playstyle get their jollies in a cash shop in a sub game? No? So don't sit there and "live" with RP'ers having to pay extra for their fun.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Some people are poor because they are trapped, but alot of people are poor because they focus on possessions.  I'm not going to bother asking why you are poor, your post is really quite informative.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Cash shops always causes a level of frustration for people not spending, even for people spending less than someone other, no matter how they want to disguise it. Because for the system to work, the items to sale have to be desirable, cosmetic or not.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Adopt communism and problem solved
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by Terrorizor

-snip-

Some people are poor because they are trapped, but alot of people are poor because they focus on possessions.  I'm not going to bother asking why you are poor, your post is really quite informative.

We'll this wasn't about my life story, and if I had began to write why I'm poor, this thread would have turned into a thread about how I should just get a job.

But let me share this, it isn't always just black and white, there are many shades of grey...

If I ever get the oportunity, I will jump at it, but chances are slim, why, is a personal matter.

But thanks for your concern, back on topic...

Originally posted by wolfmann

In a sub game, there should be no shop, period.

If its cosmetics, the RP'ers pay.

If its PvP tools, the PvP'ers pay.

If its dungeons and raids, the PvE'ers pay.

Would it be okay for you if we let your playstyle get their jollies in a cash shop in a sub game? No? So don't sit there and "live" with RP'ers having to pay extra for their fun.

Because there is no direct loser in RP, I would prefer no shop but I wouldn't boycott a game over a cosmetic shop, whereas a PvP shop I would. I RP as much as I PvP, but there is still a point to RP if someone else has a nice outfit, whereas there is no point to PvP if you are gimped from the start.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Ditto.

On the botting subject, there are mechanisms that games can provide to avoid severe progression gaps based on available time to game.  WoW's resting bonus strongly favors high level characters unable to progress as fast as others.  One Indie game I've played has offline leveling where logging into your character after days off provides a very nice amount of instantly rewarded XP.

The off-side to this is the hardly secret business plan of Free to Plays that advantage is worth cash, and they'll sell whatever it takes to keep revenue moving.  They certainly aren't motivated to level the playing field.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by hercules

Adopt communism and problem solved

Become a buddhist monk and problem solved image

But let's no turn this into politics and religion...

The only problem I have with RMT these days is if it affects PvP. If someone can obtain an unfair advantage in PvP buy spending $$$, then I'm out of there where PvP is concerned. Thankfully, PvP is not something that's high on my priority list and I can tolerate it in a game like EVE because you can blow up the stuff he wasted his RL money on and big fancy expensive ship in EVE does not equal automatic win.

Where the rest is concerned, I've stopped giving a damn. It's a waste of time worrying about it. I have no control over where the gaming industry is going. Thankfully, I don't need computer games to be happy or even survive. If the ride is no longer fun, I can get off - and fun is the keyword here. I play games to have fun. If I'm not having fun working for something and feel like just buying it instead because of that, then I'm playing the wrong game. If I'm having fun playing the game but somehow feel bad because every rich kid has 'leet' gear, then I got the wrong attitude and need to work on that. If I feel that the game requires spending money on certain things in order to enjoy the game and the money could give me more entertainment value elsewhere, then elsewhere is probably where I should be. Edit: and if I at any time feel that I need a bot to play the game... then I'm most certainly playing the wrong game.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I have the same problem in another game I'm playing.  People were justifying bots are ok, because it's not fair cash shop people have advantage over them.

But again, how about for those that were poor and didn't use bots.  Those that use bots have such advantage than those that don't use bots and don't use cash shop.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Do things the old fashion way, play the game.  I know, it's a crazy concept but it works.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Poor people probably can't afford subs on top of box price.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?