Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Line of Defense: Derek Smart Heading for Redemption?

2»

Comments

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by Konfess

( In my best Mr. Rogers impression. )

Hello boys and girls.  Can you spot which of the Derek Smart ....... in this thread .... for the ... ... ...... he has ... ....... in the ....?  Here's a clue, what games are you .. ...... ..... ..?

( Please enjoy the irony and sarcasm. )

The only way a community is gonna get the game they want is to make it themselves.  I applaud any independent producer, who attempts to go it his own in this industry.

[Self Modded]

At least we know Derek's MMORPG.com alias now.

hahaha, You thought I was Derek Smart?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Yeah - that never gets old around here apparently.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

and here I always thought, "Speak of the devil and he doth appear" was just medieval superstition.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

and here I always thought, "People on the intarweb already had enough brain cells to differentiate fact from fiction from urban legend. Oh - and that they actually knew what Google Alerts actually did"

I guess I was wrong.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Velocinox

and here I always thought, "Speak of the devil and he doth appear" was just medieval superstition.

Oh shit no way, it actually happens. That is somewhat eerie.

Originally posted by dsmart

and here I always thought, "People on the intarweb already had enough brain cells to differentiate fact from fiction from urban legend. Oh - and that they actually knew what Google Alerts actually did"

I guess I was wrong.

Yes, well, there really isn't any reason I can think of that people using the internet would be universally aware of some arcane service by Google. 

Originally posted by Uronksur

I guess I was wrong.

Yes, well, there really isn't any reason I can think of that people using the internet would be universally aware of some arcane service by Google. 

Ignorance is never - ever - an excuse.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I guess I was wrong.

You continually state you don't give a shit what people say about you, yet you use google alerts to keep up on what people are saying about you?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    You continually state you don't give a shit what people say about you, yet you use google alerts to keep up on what people are saying about you?

It's only so he can make sure they know that he doesn't care. His lack of caring is important to him.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Originally posted by Uronksur

I guess I was wrong.

Ignorance is never - ever - an excuse.

That's hilarious reasoning. Quick, Smart:

What is the most popular method of populating K-space and why?

Who reformed the Spartan constitution?

What is the mechanism of action of monoamine oxidase inhibitors?

Which gate does Aeneas depart the underworld through?

What is the joint at midline in the pelvis?

According to De Bello Gallico, what turned the tide of Gaius Julius Caesar's beach landing in the first invasion of Britain?

What bone is the last to finish development in humans?

What Christian Church Father is famous for discussing the "divine darkness"?

What secondary structure is responsible for voltage gating in certain ion channels?

What is Camillo Golgi notable for?

What is Hahn Spin Echo?

What were Dumnorix's last words?

What priesthood did Marcus Antonius hold circa 49 B.C.?

Who reformed the Athenian constitution?

"Ignorance is never - ever - an excuse", so I'm confident you can answer all of these correctly without using reference materials?

Or maybe you are just wrong and ignorance is reasonable when there is no plausible reason for someone to know a particular random fact.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Just a reminder that now that you have Smart's attention, you can either

take the tried and true route of provoking him, getting a reaction and then saying "See! He's a meanie!"

ooooorrrrr

use this opportunity to constructively engage him in conversation.

/centarz

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Just a reminder that now that you have Smart's attention, you can either

take the tried and true route of provoking him, getting a reaction and then saying "See! He's a meanie!"

ooooorrrrr

use this opportunity to constructively engage him in conversation.

/centarz

Hm? I would appear to be going with the latter. I'm hardly being provocative. He said something, I agreed with him, he made a silly remark, I pointed out how it was silly. image

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

People complain about derek smart first game but it was released before it was finished, without derek smart consent. So the first game is not a game.

Another thing, I dont know, but sounds like that after that  (releasing the game without telling him), I think that, derek smart got too scary of spending too much time developing a game and made quicker releases.  I think that some of the problems with his newer games came because of that.

In my opinion he should spend more time developing his games, to make them reach their full potential.

Anyway, this online game was a good idea, he will be able to focus more on bug-fixes and on adding stuff, because the game will always be upgrading. Also people will be able to complain as they play the game and because this is a mmo,  derek will be able to fix some stuff while they are complaining. Instead of having to wait for new game releases.

I think more developers should be like derek, releasing stuff he want, to the userbase he want, without caring about the carebears. There is a market to hardcore games.