Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you liked Civ, you'll love ____!

LlarsLlars Member UncommonPosts: 40

(sorry, wrong area..)

SoW and Invis please! :)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Europa Universalis.

Which is still my answer after this thread gets moved to PC Gaming or whatever.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Oh god yes. I played Civ I-IV until I dropped dead. XD

Only the lastest Civ I do NOT like at all. Civ V I think it is. Bad bad Civ.

Also loved Sim City and the like. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Master of Orion 2.

• ColumbiaTrueColumbiaTrue Member Posts: 47

What an excellent question. I really do not game that much anymore (by choice). I would love to play an MMORPG like Vanguard that was fully developed. 

This will probably shock, but I play a lot of Warcraft III. As to a Civ substitute, I would say TOTAL WAR.

"The truth is EA lies." - Youtube User

Sim City. Everquest. Civilization. Dungeon Keeper. Vampire: The Masquerade. These are the games that I love and cherish.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by ColumbiaTrue

As to a Civ substitute, I would say TOTAL WAR.

There's no real Civ substitute - and Civilization V is an EXCELLENT game, I've played it a lot more than any Civ game (and I've played even original Civilization back in the day).

But I really love any good turn-based strategy game - and it seems there's gonna be a STAR turn-based game availabe around this autumn:

X-COM: Enemy Unknown. Re-make of the old GEM of a game - X-COM (or UFO: Enemy Unkown as it was known in UK).

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Um, if you loved Civ you will love the Civ 4 mods.  They are still in VERY active development and are absolutely free.  Caveman2Cosmos is probably the most advanced that are in the same theme as original Civ4 (C2C is the current actively developed mod which in the family tree of mods is RoM->RoM2->RoMAND->C2C).  If you want the very innovative transformation of Civ4 into more of a fantasy game then the Fall From Heaven 2 mod and its offshoots are equally fun and interesting.

Civ 4 mods forever!

And by the way, the Civ4 mods make Civ5 look like tic-tac-toe in comparison...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Europa Universalis ofc :D
  • EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by wizyy

Originally posted by ColumbiaTrue

As to a Civ substitute, I would say TOTAL WAR.

There's no real Civ substitute - and Civilization V is an EXCELLENT game, I've played it a lot more than any Civ game (and I've played even original Civilization back in the day).

But I really love any good turn-based strategy game - and it seems there's gonna be a STAR turn-based game availabe around this autumn:

X-COM: Enemy Unknown. Re-make of the old GEM of a game - X-COM (or UFO: Enemy Unkown as it was known in UK).

I've been scratching my head since this thread started trying to think of a good substitute but I just can't. I think you really answered it at least for me. And to be honest, the first one I will always love the best somehow. I haven't tried Civ V though I must admit so I think I will definately check it out.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Interesting to hear not all people were negative on Civ5.  As someone who pumped hours and hours into all iterations of the series, Civ4 is still the one I've put the most total hours into.

Even more than my time spent in Alpha Centauri and MOO2.

Starbase Orion (store link) on iOS has been reasonably fun.  It's basically MOO2 on a phone.  Over the last 4-6 months they've improved it quite a bit.  The AI is a bit slow, but is at least putting up a pretty good fight nowadays (although I think I still haven't lost to it.)  

SO is also multiplayer, though I feel like epic TBS games work well as multiplayer games.  Shorter TBS on the other hand, work fantastic.  Hero Academy (store link) (iOS) is sorta like multiplayer Final Fantasy Tactics / Fire Emblem (but without the RPG advancement.)

Never really got into the Total War series.  Seemed to be a shallow Civ game and a shallow RTS game mushed together, lacking the potential depth of either genre and not ever feeling like it achieved a unique depth of its own.

Galactic Civilizations (epic space TBS) was also reasonably good, although the balance issues always felt a little off.  I've have had some random events submerge every civ in the galaxy beneath a cover of hostile ships, which took a long damn time (like 20-30 turns) to break out of.  Didn't feel right.

Sins of a Solar Empire (epic space slow-paced RTS) is also solid, and I may pick up the new release coming out soon (or maybe it's out now...been a while since I checked.)  It sorta suffered from Total War syndrome (trying to be both TBS and RTS simultaneously) but it nevertheless managed to be fun because it had enough unique game mechanics (leveling up massive capital ships, bribing pirates to raid your opponents.)

I suppose that leads into a plug for Hearts of Iron 3, which is a similar epic, plodding RTS.  Although admittedly I played HoI 2 a lot more, the HOI series is the most elaborate WW2 strategy game I've tried so far, while maintaining a sort of elegance in that you can engage in as much or as little of the complexity as you want.  So if you just want to move units around, you can play that game.  Or if you want to manage economies, research, unit production, diplomacy, or assigning specific commanders to specific units, you can opt in to as much or as little as you want.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

BTW, there's huge expansion pack for Civ V coming around May - bringing religion and some other stuff people have been clamoring about:

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/civilization-v-expansion-pack-announced

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    My Civ loving friend swears by Victoria

Originally posted by Torvaldr

FreeCiv:  There is a free and open source version of Civilization that closely resembles Civ 2.  You can find all about it, the mods, community, downloads, etc here at the wiki: Freeciv Wiki.

FreeCiv.net:  There was this really cool implementation of FreeCiv called freeciv.net which has since gone down.  It was FreeCiv implemented in a browser using HTML5 (no flash) and it had a Facebook app.  Their servers hosted the game and you could play single or multi-player.  The source code is still available and you could run it locally and host it for you and your friends if you're into that sort of thing.  You can find more info here at the wikipedia entry: FreeCiv.net Wikipedia.

Considering you can get Civ4-Complete for real cheap not sure what value FreeCiv would provide.  Civ4 mod community is the most active of all the civ versions, including civ5.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

AoW1 & AoW2 were both great, especially if you love fantasy. The campaign in that game was hella long and hella fun as to where I would say that the games are just as fun if not more fun than Civ.

Also on a related note, I don't know why people didn't like Civ5. I've only played Civ3 and Civ4 and both were great but I love the way that Civ5 has more layers than the previous ones. Civ3 and Civ4 were relatively easy,  especially Civ4 because of how easy it was to tech up and get ahead of your enemies. While in Civ5 you have to actually engage with the other nations and city-states if you want to get anything done.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by RefMinor

My Civ loving friend swears by Victoria

had a look on youtube and that's going on my list too thanks!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

FreeCiv:  There is a free and open source version of Civilization that closely resembles Civ 2.  You can find all about it, the mods, community, downloads, etc here at the wiki: Freeciv Wiki.

FreeCiv.net:  There was this really cool implementation of FreeCiv called freeciv.net which has since gone down.  It was FreeCiv implemented in a browser using HTML5 (no flash) and it had a Facebook app.  Their servers hosted the game and you could play single or multi-player.  The source code is still available and you could run it locally and host it for you and your friends if you're into that sort of thing.  You can find more info here at the wikipedia entry: FreeCiv.net Wikipedia.

Considering you can get Civ4-Complete for real cheap not sure what value FreeCiv would provide.  Civ4 mod community is the most active of all the civ versions, including civ5.

Some people like Civ2 and its style.  News Flash:  You can like both FreeCiv and Civ4 and both modding communites.  Both games have a different look and feel.  They're not mutually exclusive.  I was just posting some Civ info for the OP.

You can also find a lot of DRM free simulation games here: GoG.com

Yeah, there are a few who prefer other versions.  Some like Civ2 best, some like Civ3 best, and some lke Civ5 best.  But most people think Civ4 was the pinnacle of that series, and the mod traffic on CivFanatics supports this as well.

But they are all great games so its all good ;)

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

Master of Magic, for all its borkedness :)

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by Magter

Also on a related note, I don't know why people didn't like Civ5. I've only played Civ3 and Civ4 and both were great but I love the way that Civ5 has more layers than the previous ones. Civ3 and Civ4 were relatively easy,  especially Civ4 because of how easy it was to tech up and get ahead of your enemies. While in Civ5 you have to actually engage with the other nations and city-states if you want to get anything done.

What difficulty level were you playing at? I can tell you there are still Emperor (and higher) level games that prove exceptionally difficult (at least for me). I'm no fanatic though, so it's probably just a case of me sucking. Still, even Prince and higher can be a challenge if you have a poor starting spot or some bad luck at the start (e.g., random stack of barbarians spawn on your border).

P.S. I guess it's been changed since launch, but Civ5 boasted about being "streamlined" (not having more layers). Diplomacy was broken, the AI's ability to fight battles was broken, tech tree was UBER-simplified, and many of the aspects of Civ4 that added replayability (e.g., religion, corporations, espionage) were canned. From my perspective, Civ5 is feature-lite and the inclusion of some new features like city states and an AI that behaves like a two-year old in the throws of a temper tantrum doesn't mean much to me.

Not trying to change your mind or anything (to each their own, after all)... But, I am trying to understand how we could experiencing such different games xD

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    While it's not really like Civ (RTS instead of turn based) I'm enjoying Anno 2070 a lot. It's more of a real time city builder, but it's got some Civ-like elements sort of.

Honestly there's really no substitute for Civ IMO.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Definitely Alpha Centauri. I'm still kinda pissed that Civilization picked off instead of Alpha Centauri which I found way more interesting back in the day.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Methos12

Definitely Alpha Centauri. I'm still kinda pissed that Civilization picked off instead of Alpha Centauri which I found way more interesting back in the day.

I loved Alpha Centauri, been a long time now though. Also playing Anno1404 and  2070, I have but have not yet played Sins of a Solar Empire with the expacsand Sword of the Stars and xpacs can't wait to give them a go as I'm yearning for a good space themed game but want to give Anno a little more time, it's bloody addictive :)

I think with these types of games picking a subject matter you're interested in can be a good start.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by MustaphaMond

What difficulty level were you playing at? I can tell you there are still Emperor (and higher) level games that prove exceptionally difficult (at least for me). I'm no fanatic though, so it's probably just a case of me sucking. Still, even Prince and higher can be a challenge if you have a poor starting spot or some bad luck at the start (e.g., random stack of barbarians spawn on your border).

P.S. I guess it's been changed since launch, but Civ5 boasted about being "streamlined" (not having more layers). Diplomacy was broken, the AI's ability to fight battles was broken, tech tree was UBER-simplified, and many of the aspects of Civ4 that added replayability (e.g., religion, corporations, espionage) were canned. From my perspective, Civ5 is feature-lite and the inclusion of some new features like city states and an AI that behaves like a two-year old in the throws of a temper tantrum doesn't mean much to me.

Not trying to change your mind or anything (to each their own, after all)... But, I am trying to understand how we could experiencing such different games xD

I 100% agree with you.  Civ5 was way less complex than Civ4, let alone all the fantastic Civ4 mods which added layer after layer after layer of additional complexity.  As I said earlier, Civ4-C2C mod makes Civ5 look like tic-tac-toe.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

I would say black and white 1 or 2.  They're real time city builders where you play as a god in the form of a floating hand.  The whole point of the games are to specialize your worshipers so they make a fantastic city.

One important thing to note those is the creature.  The creature is your avatar in eden.  You can teach him miracles (Abilities you use when your worshipers obtain enough points to be able to cast it either by worship or sacrafice).  You can also send him to villages to impress the town folks into worshiping you ( or migrating to your city in  the 2nd one).  Your enemies will also have creatures and when they meet they fight each other.  In the first game you control the fight with clicks on the ground and on the enemy creatures body to make him act.  In the second game its all automated :(   theres more to explain but I think if you went to lionhead you would get a better description of the more advanced systems the creatures have to offer.

The object of both games is to sway (or capture for the second game) all the cities on the island you are currently on. You can do this in different ways, I.E. sending missionaries, building a nice city, sending your creature to impress.

In the second game you can even amass armies and capture the cities. I'll admit that the AI is terrible and the armies will just stand outside your walls while your archers take em out.  Also they use no real strategy as in they just send wave after wave of enemies at you until you or them are dead.  They only have 3 different unit types also - Swordsman, Archer, and catipult.  even with the very shoddy AI it's still fun to build your armies and level them up.  

All in all they're very good city builders and might be a good game to check out if you like CIV.  

(There is alot of features I didn't list, http://lionhead.com/ here's the link to the website to get more info (Ignore fable 3 lol))

Yes I played SWTOR.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by MustaphaMond

I 100% agree with you.  Civ5 was way less complex than Civ4, let alone all the fantastic Civ4 mods which added layer after layer after layer of additional complexity.  As I said earlier, Civ4-C2C mod makes Civ5 look like tic-tac-toe.

Well let's not forget we're most likely comparing Civ IV BTS to a vanilla Civ V. Don't get me wrong i was hugely dissapointed by Civ V but compared to vanilla Civ IV it's not that bad. Personally i'm waiting for the expansion and see how it will be than, if i still remain dissapointed , well... I'll be a sad panda.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.