Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: If guild wars 2 is not about the Items/Gear or the levels then what is the carrot?

12345679»

Comments

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

Kindof absurd answer to say 'fun'.  Like competitive things are not considered fun? Like only local soccer is fun, going for district, state, national, international is all no fun at all.

The only way to have fun is to have no competition other than so so ad hoc daily, weekly, monthly quests or some other pointless thing?

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

Kindof absurd answer to say 'fun'.  Like competitive things are not considered fun? Like only local soccer is fun, going for district, state, national, international is all no fun at all.

The only way to have fun is to have no competition other than so so ad hoc daily, weekly, monthly quests or some other pointless thing?

not sure if serious. do you think pro soccer plays dont have fun when they play, and do you think the joy of winning using all their skill is not rewarding. OR am I miss reading the scarcasm in your post?

take at look at league of legends..competivite as hell, and a lot of people find it super fun. 

reason to play GW2:

The World/Lore

Three Faction PvP

much more skill based then most MMORPGS

dynamic PvE (most dynamic there is in a big AAA MMO)

skill system that plays based on synergy of spell/skills not rotation

classes being able to fill all roles while still having their own feeling

the lack of hardcore Min/Maxing ideals

crafting system that is different enough to bring some new flavor

Three Faction PvP (deserves to be on this list twice)

FPS style server system for competive PvP

competive PvP with all skills and armor unlocked so it is based on skill (yeah FotM stuff but be realistic here)

B2P so you are not locked into a sub.

The list could go on, but If i am not having fun in a game I dont play it even with all the carrots in the world

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

If you need a "My Stuff Is Better Than Your Stuff" end-game carrot to play an MMO, you're just using it as a means to serve your own desire to feel superior.  That is the flawed game mechanics proposition  that serves as an anathema to good communities and focuses future game development and expansion down very limited and boring avenues which pander to a specific - and not very likeable or healthy - character trait.

There are plenty of gear-centric end-game playgrounds already available for those that are looking to feed their sense of superiority.

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

Fun and entertainment is my carrot. If you need raids or smthn, then maybe the game is not for you.

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

They are using the term "My Stuff looks better than yours". And it works. Not only ingame. E.G. the Ferrari has more prestige than Alfa Romeo.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Originally posted by Puremallace

Every single thing you described can be done in less then a month

Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 amount to a mere 20~ hours of gameplay.

Your point?

Because the only point I see here is that you're saying that there's not enough padding/grinding for you. But there will be, it'll just be optional. You can run the hardcore dungeons 5,000 times if you like in order to get a bunch of weapon/armour skins. Meanwhile, the rest of us will be enjoying the game for as long as it's fun.

The thing of it is is that I'd rather have an enjoyable experience for as long as it lasts, rather than have an artificial experience which lasts the same time but includes padding and grinding to make it a gruelling process and therefore much, much less enjoyable overall. Not everyone has to be the same.

There's a great post someone made about how diametrically opposed progression players are to quality. Thus far your sort (the progression seeker) has had plenty of games to choose from. But you're flipping a shit over the one that isn't targeted at you. So you're just now noticing that you're not the target demographic. You are a demographic, but you're not the target demographic. Who is? People like me who just want to enjoy the game.

Like I said, I don't look at Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3 and think to myself: "Gee, I wish they'd put in rpeeated content, padding, gruelling grinding, and millions upon millions more of those scanning missions!"

No, if anything, like most of the Internet I'm happy with them lasting the time they did, in fact, I'd be happier with them if they were more quickly completed by just doing away with those ffffff scanning missions. And none of the critical reception liked those scanning missions either. This is where you're so separated from the rest of the gaming community. To you, sitting down with an ME2 scanning mission and doing that for 10 hours is fun.

Me? I can't possibly imagine how that could be fun.

To play devil's advocate here, I am not sure the poster to which you are responding to suggested it needed to be grindy content, or that he did not like quality content. In my mind, his point was simply that there was not *as much* content to keep one busy after level cap as people think. Basically WvWvW *is* the content after level cap, plus the achievements etc. Honestly, if you ask me, that sounds as grindy as anything.  Why is doing WvWvW over and over and over again for weeks and months considered "fun" when all those traditional aspects of past MMOs are not? I loved RVR in DAOC, so I suspect I will like WvWvW in GW2, but being the whole point of the game makes it as suspiciously, potentially grindy as anything, and people just seem to overlook that.

I played a lot of games after level cap, and I am neither a grinder, nor a raider, nor a dedicated pvper, though I have done a little of each, when I want to. Fortunately, GW2 sounds like I will still be able to do a lot of that, if not in a new form (big DEs instead of raiding,  obviously). I am not worried about having fun. I will have fun!

People are not saying they do not want to have fun, the whole point of this thread was really an inquiry into what, exactly, that fun will be derived from, given that GW2 breaks a few of the molds. Everone posting in this thread know what is fun is personally, but people just need a bit of an education about this game. They are really just asking, what activities are we supposed to be looking forward to?

Many have answered, with just FUN! We will have FUN! Well, that, in and of itself.  They know that. That is really not what they were asking. They are simply asking, "okay, we will have fun. Now, doing what exactly?" 

• Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

Why do people need a "Carrot" in MMOs? If you play Counter Strike you don`t have a carrot other then having fun! So yeah, in GW2 you get to eat the carrot, you have fun :)

If you get sick of it after a while put it aside, you can come back any time the game is yours.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Meleagar

If you need a "My Stuff Is Better Than Your Stuff" end-game carrot to play an MMO, you're just using it as a means to serve your own desire to feel superior.  That is the flawed game mechanics proposition  that serves as an anathema to good communities and focuses future game development and expansion down very limited and boring avenues which pander to a specific - and not very likeable or healthy - character trait.

There are plenty of gear-centric end-game playgrounds already available for those that are looking to feed their sense of superiority.

Again, as devil's advocate. I know a lot of people who raided to improve themselves. It had nothing to do with being better than other people, just imrpoving their own character.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, but you paint a large group of people, perhaps understandably, with a wide brush. I am not saying I want to see raiding, or gear grinding in GW2. I am loving the fact that I can get somewhere with my limited playtime, and that I can play with any of my friends, anytime I want to. 

But don't fall into the trap of generalizing. In fact, most of the raiders I have raided with would try to make sure others in their raid got the item first. It was actually hard to get people to take their loot, because so many felt someone else should have it. 

But if you are just saying, people who feel that way suck, I could not agree more. And I could also agree that GW2 will probably do a lot to purge that thinking. It should be a good time.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

What's the carrot if not gear?

"What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Winning the 3 way PvP battles.

It is possible to get a sense of achievement without getting shiny new loot all the time. Being the victor of an 8 hour keep seige gives you a wonderful sense of accomplishment and doesn't need any loot at all.

Ask anyone who played pre-ToA DAoC.

Originally posted by Naral

Again, as devil's advocate. I know a lot of people who raided to improve themselves. It had nothing to do with being better than other people, just imrpoving their own character.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, but you paint a large group of people, perhaps understandably, with a wide brush. I am not saying I want to see raiding, or gear grinding in GW2. I am loving the fact that I can get somewhere with my limited playtime, and that I can play with any of my friends, anytime I want to. 

But don't fall into the trap of generalizing. In fact, most of the raiders I have raided with would try to make sure others in their raid got the item first. It was actually hard to get people to take their loot, because so many felt someone else should have it. 

But if you are just saying, people who feel that way suck, I could not agree more. And I could also agree that GW2 will probably do a lot to purge that thinking. It should be a good time.

Please note my first line: "If you need a "My Stuff Is Better Than Your Stuff" end-game carrot to play an MMO..."

Several posts here were made from the perspective of characterizing end-game as a way of specifically getting stuff for yourself that is better than the stuff most other players could acquire in game for the purpose of showing it off.  If that's why you play an MMOG (and not, as you and others have said, specifically for the comraderie, character improvements, etc.) then I suggest my statement doesn't paint with a wide brush; it paints specifically those people who play for the reason that I have connected to being problematic for good community building, responsible playing and developing good in-game relationships.

Most MMOG's are directed towards the epeen, my stuff is better than your stuff, you're a loser and I"m a winner mentality,  Even if a lot of people play those games for other reasons, that is still the driving mechanic  - the carrot - those games exploit for a large portion of the player base.  That mentaility turns off a lot of players (even if, from lack of options, they still play those games, like I did), and a lot of us would rather be playing a game that doesn't focus content  on exploiting the "I'm  more epeen than you" mentality. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Nibs

What's the carrot if not gear?

"What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Winning the 3 way PvP battles.

It is possible to get a sense of achievement without getting shiny new loot all the time. Being the victor of an 8 hour keep seige gives you a wonderful sense of accomplishment and doesn't need any loot at all.

Ask anyone who played pre-ToA DAoC.

Ah, you are leaving out part of the story.

Why did you spend 8 hours trying to take a keep.  It wasn't strictly for the fun of it.

You were rewarded with Realm Rank points (sometimes you could get up to 75K in a single fight if you were good at it) and probably equally important was with enough Keeps taken your realm gained control of Darkness Falls, which was the primary means of generating big income back in the day. 

Same thing applied to Realm Relics/Relic Keep defenses.  People fought for them because control of the relics imparted some really good bonuses to the entire realm, in both PVE and PVP.  Lots of people came out for those fights to help gain those benefits.

Sure, some folks fought just for fun, but to really bring out most of the players you had to give them the promise of greater rewards which DAOC did really well, but with GW2 I'm not seeing the same incentives.

In my case even the above wasn't enough, so I moved over to the FFA server Mordred where guilds took permanent possession of Keeps and defended them against all comers. (and flattened anyone foolish enough to try and PVE in our Keeps zone.)

I prefer to fight for cause. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Why did you spend 8 hours trying to take a keep.  It wasn't strictly for the fun of it.

Not addressed to me, but I can rebut. 

The last best time I ever had in an MMOG was the original Alterac Valley in WoW.  I don't recall now if there was even any reward back then for winning, but I can tell you that I didn't care about the reward if there was one. I didn't really even care that much if my side won or lost; it was just flat out fun. 

• PitrasPitras Member Posts: 1

There was a mount for AV emblems and few epics, (ex. The unstopable Force - 2h mace) but fun was generally the biggest reward. I remember joining AV two days in a row - just to find myself in the same match :)

I'd play vanilla AV anyday.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

The last best time I ever had in an MMOG was the original Alterac Valley in WoW.  I don't recall now if there was even any reward back then for winning, but I can tell you that I didn't care about the reward if there was one. I didn't really even care that much if my side won or lost; it was just flat out fun. 

Just two differebnt gaming preferences actually, I don't play FPSers like Counterstrike, because for me the fun isn't in the actual combat, but rather in the achievements you manage to accomplish in terms of taking and holding territory.

Blame that on my early MMO experience which included Lineage 1, DAOC, Shadowbane, Lineage 2 and later on EVE where control of territory and denial of same is the primary driver behind almost all conflict.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by Kyleran

Just two differebnt gaming preferences actually, I don't play FPSers like Counterstrike, because for me the fun isn't in the actual combat, but rather in the achievements you manage to accomplish in terms of taking and holding territory.

Blame that on my early MMO experience which included Lineage 1, DAOC, Shadowbane, Lineage 2 and later on EVE where control of territory and denial of same is the primary driver behind almost all conflict.

Coincidentally GW2 caters to the FPS, moba crowd in that way. They are trying to include a larger playerbase to the genre.

Dont feel bad, its not you, its the game.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

you are the carrot, Neo

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

I love the continuing insinuations that a game is terribad if it isn't specifically catered to a particular crowd. See, I mean... that's just playing up to the self-entitled, self-imporant qualities I commonly claim to see in gamers, and I'm seeing it here right now. Not all games have to be designed for you, specifically. Not all games need to have you as the target demographic.

Attacking the game like this seems like a sly way of saying "I'll talk less smack about the game if you focus more of the game's elements upon me. That works, right? I can harm the game that way?" and it's a bit insidious. I've seen a lot of that. But thet hing is is that, no - it doesn't work. In fact, it does the opposite.

The reason being is that it cements ArenaNet's focus on other demographics.

ArenaNet tend to read around forums, and on seeing stuff like this, they're going to think: Okay, we've lost those guys, if we ever had them. Okay, the token elements of our game we threw in for those guys? Screw it. Let's focus on the people who actually want to play our game, let's redefine our focus. And in the next campaign let's not even bother to throw other demographics a bone at all, because they're not going to buy the game anyway, so why bother with them?

So if Guild Wars 2 becomes ever less and less the game you want to play, then you've only got yourselves to blame. The more you make it out to be a bad game just because it doesn't focus on you, specifically, like I said, the more you convince everyone (including ArenaNet) that the game was never meant for you.

I think we've already established that the game just isn't meant for carrot-obsessed progressionists, and hey, if things keep going the way they do, ArenaNet may not even bother with a level advancement for the next campaign, because that would suit their target demographic. Honestly? Keep going! The more you alienate ArenaNet by saying their game is terrible just because it doesn't focus on you, the stronger a foothold you give those who do support it. Because we can just say: Look at this thread and see who your true supporters are.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Originally posted by Kyuz0o

Why do people need a "Carrot" in MMOs? If you play Counter Strike you don`t have a carrot other then having fun! So yeah, in GW2 you get to eat the carrot, you have fun :)

If you get sick of it after a while put it aside, you can come back any time the game is yours.

Exactly.

Found it funny the OP was pretty much wanting a carrot for his MMO game. Ugh, I miss the older gaming mentality.

Who knew there was a day when one played MMOs for fun and an FPS just for the hell of it?

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

I feel like this is equivalent to asking "Where is the mathematic score" in this game?  In other words, how can I quantitatively compare myself to someone else online and prove I am better?

I believe the answer will end up being "The way you actually play the game will show whether or not you are better than your neighbor".

It's a weird mentatlity to actually LOOK for the carrot or the grind or the artificial "MMO Staying power" from the company's perspective.

The carrot benefits the game publishers.  Not you.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Adalwulff

The best part about GW2, is not having to deal with the mentality of the raider, or the soloer. I am sooo glad these guys have decided not to play GW2, I can barely contain my excitement!

Seriously, after a long day, and your ready to have some fun, you log onto a game and your ordered to level up faster, or sit through hours of raiding, the same dungeon youve been doing all week. Or the soloer who cant be bothered with anything..

You can PvE or WvW as long or as little as you feel like, and still have tons of fun. No chasing some stupid ole carrot...lol

Good times await my friends!!

Good times indeed! I for one, welcome a game that doesn't attempt to appeal to the majority of the modern gaming market.  Which lets face it, is the solo and to a much lesser extent the raider crowd.  I find it refreshing, that a modern MMO would not be designed to appeal to those demographics...

Back in reality, it should be pointed out that Guild Wars 2 is NOT the One True Game(tm), and those who are looking for IT, are setting themselves up for yet another terrible disappoinment.  If its an entertaining game, thats all I'm interested in. I stopped chasing the One True Game(tm) years ago. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

You are farming appearance gear and achievements. Its identical to GW1 in that sense. In GW1 it was super easy to get your first set of the highest powered gear possible. However, people farmed the hard dungeons for months to get unique appearance gear. It didnt make them any more powerful than a fresh 20, but you could tell that they knew how to play just by looking at them.

I am glad there is no gear tiering in GW2. All that does is make old content obsolete whenever a new set of gear is released, and creating a gear barrier for new players to overcome to party with veteran players. As well as making PvP an unbalanced mess. When I kill someone in PvP, I want to know that it was because I outplayed them, not because my gear had better stats that made me innately harder to kill for no other reason than the fact that I have spent more time in the game.

If you need a carrot on a stick, this isnt the game for you. Its like console games, when you really love just playing them, you will work on the achievements and unlocks just for fun, not because it will make you better than anyone else playing.

Just had to LOL at that highlighted bit.  If you really wanted to do that you could just go into basically any MMO and duel people of the same level.  What you actually want to do is deliver the killing blow to someone who's distracted by something else going on and probabaly already injured from another fight.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

You are farming appearance gear and achievements. Its identical to GW1 in that sense. In GW1 it was super easy to get your first set of the highest powered gear possible. However, people farmed the hard dungeons for months to get unique appearance gear. It didnt make them any more powerful than a fresh 20, but you could tell that they knew how to play just by looking at them.

I am glad there is no gear tiering in GW2. All that does is make old content obsolete whenever a new set of gear is released, and creating a gear barrier for new players to overcome to party with veteran players. As well as making PvP an unbalanced mess. When I kill someone in PvP, I want to know that it was because I outplayed them, not because my gear had better stats that made me innately harder to kill for no other reason than the fact that I have spent more time in the game.

If you need a carrot on a stick, this isnt the game for you. Its like console games, when you really love just playing them, you will work on the achievements and unlocks just for fun, not because it will make you better than anyone else playing.

Just had to LOL at that highlighted bit.  If you really wanted to do that you could just go into basically any MMO and duel people of the same level.  What you actually want to do is deliver the killing blow to someone who's distracted by something else going on and probabaly already injured from another fight.

Just had to LOL at that highlighted bit. Since when, in any MMO, same level guarantees equal footing? You will stand no chance against fully geared (especially in PvP gear) players if you don't grind your gears, and being max level will help you nothing.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    TURN BACK NOW!!! THERE IS NO CARROT! IT...IT...ack!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

there is currency to farm to be exchanged for gear the same way WoW has