Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

Comments

• klugdoggklugdogg Member Posts: 3

i'm up for paying $500 for a game that doesn't fail. per month

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

$50 a month is a rather large sum, I can buy one almost new game (a few months after release or so) every month instead so the game would need to be better than that.

If it was good enough I would still pay it but it better be damn good.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

No. Unless it was virtual reality, Then heck yeah. I'd rather play a daily fee though. Or at least weekly. That'd get exspensive. I'd also have to have the ability to do it with virtal girls and it can't hurt. I have to be able to give myself Neo powers too.

Someone make VR like in the movies now please. Or that machine from inception.

• Fikusthe4thFikusthe4th Member Posts: 47

Sure. For a new experience, or a complete experience.

If there was actual value in that fee, as in you can have your city or planet with your friends, that would help. Giving the players the illusion of ownership would increase the value.

Paying 50 a month just for access, i doubt anyone would take the risk to invest in the ultimate game, even if they did, i doubt it would be worth anywhere close to 50 a month. People would expect perfection in everything.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

no

50 a month? only if it was true virtual reality stuff matrix-style

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

No sorry I can't see paying $50 a month for a MMORPG. Lets face it no game can be everything to everyone so no games gonna be that F'ing great except maybe to a small minority it catters to.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Not only would this game have to be perfect, but could you imagine the backlash anytime a nerf went through?  People have fits in F2P and $15 p2p games, at $50 per month, it would be insane.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , 50$ a month to "play" a mmo?    Nah.

600$ a year , I would much rather save that money to buy gifts at christmas , alot more enjoyable to surprise people then wasting time on a virtual world with no meaning. A MMO is suppose to be a past time , but for some it's like a competition to be the very best? Anyways ,no use debating the morality of all this nonsense so I'll leave it at that.

• DevokanDevokan Member Posts: 29

I simply would. if you are a gamer in its the best game for you personally 50 is still not that much for a MONTH of fun.  go have a month of real fun beside gaming, It will cost you alot more.

• SulaSula Member Posts: 17

50$ a month for a perfect game? Yes, yes I would. Might even go higher. As a side note, I'll pay 20$ for a good game and 30$-40$ for a great game. Sadly, even good games are rare these days...

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by unclemo

I'm suprised the multi-account holders haven't pipped up yet.

When I played DAOC I ran three accounts and to me it was completely worth it at the time.   I ran a Chanter/Mentie/Druid combo for PvE.   Back then you had to pay for every other expansion so it was $45 a month and $150 for expansions every so often.  

A lot of people complained back then about Buffbots and such, but I really enjoyed multi-boxing.  In EVE it's even worse for some people who carry ten or even more accounts.  Although most of these people have made trillions in ISK and just buy PLEX like it ain't no thing.  

Obviously times have changed since the early DAOC days and I'm not trying to start an argument over those pesky MMO's that encourage/ed multipul accounts.   All I'm trying to demonstrate is that at the time, $50 a month was quite worth it for me.  

Currently I am loving Entropia Universe which of course uses a real cash economy.  This MMO takes a rather large investment to enjoy properly, but so far, if I were to cash out everything I own, I would break-even easily, maybe even be up a few bucks.  A lot of players cringe at the though of a RCE but it works out great in EU.  Like any other form of 'investment gaming', you do need an ample starting bankroll.

I know times are tough and I feel for those people like college students and the like that just don't have a ton of disposable income.  Truly I remembers those days.  But for us adults that can afford it, why the hell shouldn't we want a premium title that we would love at $50.  That's unlimited entertainment for $1.50 a day or for me it would work out to 50 cents an hour conservativly (yea yea I play a lot, please don't hassel me about it....my choice).

Same here... 3 accounts in Daoc was well worth it for RvR and Farming Scales/ ToA... BUT when it comes time to re-sub I now have to really think about it because I refuse to play without my buffbots =P

So of course I would pay 50 dollars a month.. I know its 3/4 a tank of gas and decent night out but when I get home and I put my wife to bed I need something to play and right now there is NOTHING TO PLAY!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

I can't justify actually paying the $15 dollars a month due to the abuses that the Lead devs do to the players (ie WoW not fixing the problems they have admitted are in the talent trees and in class balancing, instead of using those millions to fix them they are putting them into the pandaria expansion and calling these fixes "features" charging more for them). So definitely not. It's ridiculous of them to ask for a sub at this point considering the upkeep of servers is almost nothing in today's market and the proof has been revealed by companies like Arenanet. You might as well just find a sewer hole and throw your money down that because that's what's happening with your subscription money right now.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

No, I have paid less for better games.  Why would I pay more now for worse?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

At the rate and quality most of these newer games are going I don't think they've even worth a measly $15 a month anymore. So no...because I can't see a company making that even remotely worth the investment considering their track record as of late. What ifs aside...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Sula

50$ a month for a perfect game? Yes, yes I would. Might even go higher. As a side note, I'll pay 20$ for a good game and 30$-40$ for a great game. Sadly, even good games are rare these days...

I would.  Heck how much do tickets for a concert costs these days including the ticketmaster ripoff charges.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I'd probably end up paying 50 a month if it really gives me the ultimate thrill.

Yes it's pathetic but what can I do about it, it's still cheaper than one night out and you have fun for a whole month.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

You can't hardly find an MMO worth the initial 50$ *cough* 60$  purchase price in today's market.

So no.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I would if it was fun enough. I cannot imagine games that I have played in the being as fun as they were if it was 50$ a month though because there would not have been as many people to play with. The games that I have had the most fun with probably would not have lasted nearly as long.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

$50 a month would mean a new expansion pack worth of content every month.   If they can do that I'll pay.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Yes if they made a real MMO again I would in a heartbeat. Been saying this for years that they need to step it up to weed out the non-RPG players and allow atleast one good MMORPG to be made. Not that they should stop making the games they make now. Just give those of us that want more the option.

charging 50$ a month to play a game would not weed out all the 'non-rpgers'. it would weed out people with common sense who do not like being ripped off.

IMO 15$ a month is robbery for the majority of P2P MMO's i have tried (fairly large list).

arguments concerning more expensive entertainment then 50$ a month are pointless in my case, since the common things that people say, i would not do anyway.

i miss when paying money for a video game actually meant it was mine. so, i say no. i will never support the idea of paying $50 a month to 'RENT' my time spent in an online video game.

and to slam the argument 'but it is the PERFECT MMO', i say, words like perfect are for pampered children. it is not a very useful word, and it is sad when adults gauge things as such. not many adults use this word unless they are 'ass-kissing'. 

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by 69Cuda

You can't hardly find an MMO worth the initial 50$ *cough* 60$  purchase price in today's market.

So no.

or in short, what this guy said.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Xthos

Originally posted by Khole

Originally posted by Xthos

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    So many suckers in this thread just begging to be fleeced.
    Hell no.
    I wouldn't pay $50 a month to play any game, mmo or otherwise.

Actually that's a great observation.
    Bobby Kotick is pleased.
    Look at him; some of us call him a scum sucking piece of crap. Others call him a genius.
    I think he's both because he can find these suckers every minute.
    Paying to track Call of Duty stats.............. How can I get in on fleecing these idiots?

I sure hope you don't have a cable, internet, or phone bill that is near $50/mo....If so, count yourself...I hope you never go to the movies (heck that can be $10-15, even without someone you are taking, for 90 minutes...)..
    I bet a lot of people on here spend $50 a month on pizza, pop, coffee, energy drinks....etc...
    If you don't, you don't, but the average person 'wastes' money on things, so if something was the best game ever, I think a lot would pay it, even if they want to kid themselves into thinking they wouldn't.
    People pay $50/mo more on a phone, so they can play angry birds and other generic games, than they would pay for a basic phone without the bells and whistles...So next time you see someone glued to their phone, you keep telling yourself no one would ever pay $50 for entertainment....Not that you see many people glued to their phone...

When I see a game that offers me as much as my phone plan i'll pay 50 dollars. I haven't played a game yet that is worth even close to 50 dollars a month. Hell, most games released these days aren't worth 5 bucks a month. 

I agree, but that was the question, if you were offered a game that was that damn good, would you pay, people are acting like the OP said would you pay $50 a month for farmville....  I would pay, if it was that good.  No one is asking would you pay $50 for the same old trash that people are playing the free month on, then quitting.

Dense counter argument is dense.

There's not going to be a MMO that can match the actual service I get from my cell phone plan. You might as well put in.. "I hope you don't get shoes once every year or two." "I hope you don't eat canned soup every day for lunch, that'd be nearly 30 dollars a month." "I hope you don't brush your teeth every day. That adds up."

Look, it'd be idiotic to pay 50 bucks a month for a game that a normal person would play maybe 10 hours a week at a healthy level.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Yep i would.

If its freaking awesome and takes up all my playtime i will end up saving lots of money every months only because i do not buy a few games every months which i end up playing 5 mins till i get bored and never play them  again lol

In the end its a Hobby and a very cheap one i wouldnt mind paying even more if it really gives me all i want all my other hobbys i had in my past were way more expansive (go kart racing few thousand bucks a months) and i paid it gladly because i had fun so if my hobby gaming would give me a game which is all i want i would pay a few houndret bucks a month as well.(But the game really would need to be perfect)

That said i also will have to say that most games right now are not worth there money at all the games get worse and worse but at the same time more expansive

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Dense counter argument is dense.

There's not going to be a MMO that can match the actual service I get from my cell phone plan. You might as well put in.. "I hope you don't get shoes once every year or two." "I hope you don't eat canned soup every day for lunch, that'd be nearly 30 dollars a month." "I hope you don't brush your teeth every day. That adds up."

Look, it'd be idiotic to pay 50 bucks a month for a game that a normal person would play maybe 10 hours a week at a healthy level.

IT's not a dense counter argument.

I have yet to play an mmo that gives me what I thought mmo's were going to be "about". I can easily envision the type of mmo I want/wanted but it seems that these developers fall short.

If some developer created a boutique (to use a word set aside for specialty services/businesses) style game that was very full service, a lot of gm support, that gave one all of the features that people are looking for in a game but the game would cost $50.00 then one might consider it.

I mean, Community boating in this area is $259.00 per year and the optimum time to use it would be spring and summer, maybe early fall. Daily fees for a golf club are $30.00 to $40.00 dollars and that's just one day. Not inlcuding club rentals if you need them. In light of many activities that require membership/entrance fees, $50.00 isn't really a lot. My Gym is $29.00 per month and I am supposed to be going 3 times a week. However, that oftentimes is only once or twice and it's only about a 2 hour workout max.

It's not beyond the pale to imagine a boutique game developer that decides that most mmo's/all mmo's (?) just dont' go far enough.

I certainly don't think they do.

Will a game like this be made? Probably not. Are any of the current games worth $50.00 per month? nope.

Is "my" phone service worth the $54.00 or so per month? not at all given how little I use the thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I wouldnt pay $50 a month for any kind of game even if it came with a device...with suction action.

well...maybe I wouldnt. I dont know, would have to see if its safe first.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson