Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

Comments

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

I'd spend up to $200/mo if it was 'perfect'.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

MMO Companies are lucky they get $15 a month from me.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

50 month is a lot for  some , a pittance for others - it's all relative.

Personally , I would pay it if it was a mmorpg that followed some major idea I want in a mmorpg

Huge virtual world , very little if anything instances. (original EQ style)

Tons of GM's , with zero tolerance for idiots who deliberately are trying to cause issues. Not meaning arguing game mechanics or accidentally posting something in wrong channel , meaning spamming chat with Barrens style juvenile crap gets you banned , immediately. 

Constant and honest communication from dev team , no PR polticial crap , no silence on the boards , etc. Resources to back it up also , ie no launching a huge pvp world that cant work from the get go and obviously wanst tested. (no SWTOR Illum crap in other words)

Provide me a service I think is worth it and I'll pay it  , currently there is no game nor game company that makes it worth 50 a month , but that would be a small , very small , price to pay for a game company that did what I'd like to see in a mmorpg.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

Hmmm...NO! First of all, you will never get a game that has everything I could imagine. Second, even if you could, I would not spend that kind of money on a GAME. I love gaming but if it ever goes to that sort of amount....forget it!

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

If it was like Full on VR actually in the game kind of technology id spend 50 a month easily but without that most games nowadays arent even worth paying 15 for haha

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

For the bestest most awesomest MMO evar?!

Hell no.

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Fuck no. For 50 dollars a month i can pretty much buy a new console game. 

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

It would have to pretty good but I could see myself paying that much for a great MMO.   

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

Well I have paid $15 a month for 3 mmo's at a time in the past so $50 wouldnt be to crazy.But It would have to be the best mmo ever.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I would never pay 50 bucks a month for an MMO.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

15 bucks per month is enought for any company to earn loads and loads of cash.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

NO i would never pay that much for a monthly sub.

• DojoDojo Member CommonPosts: 42
    Sure for live GM Events and a world that changes based on those events. $50 is nothing but if it isn't far superior to the $14.95 variety why pay more.
  • DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

Never!!

It don't matter how good the game is, or how much I would want to play it, or how much money I have/earn,  I would never ever pay that much... never!!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I will say before I started playing MMOs, I would spend well more than $50/month on entertainment. Playing EQ has saved me so much money...

Consider:
    1 trip to the movies (about $15-20)
    1 non-fastfood meal ($15-20)
    1 Date night ($75-100 usually)
    1 night of drinking ($xxx who can remember, but it is usually more than I intended)

Heck, even if you buy one new game a month (many console players do at about that rate), that's $50 right there.

Now i won't argue that playing MMOs has been healthy, socially or physically, but if the game was good enough, I wouldn't have a problem. $50 over the course of an entire month for entertainment is cheap, if the game is good enough that it does constitute the majority of my entertainment time.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Without a doubt, that price isn't really much if it were good enough to keep me entertained thoroughly for months. Hell, I'd even pay 100/ month. 

• ColumbiaTrueColumbiaTrue Member Posts: 47

I would pay around $80 a month for an MMORPG that was innovative but also incorporate some of the elements of what I enjoy most in gaming: community, challenge, customization, unique player characters, etc.

"The truth is EA lies." - Youtube User

Sim City. Everquest. Civilization. Dungeon Keeper. Vampire: The Masquerade. These are the games that I love and cherish.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

So many suckers in this thread just begging to be fleeced.

Hell no.

I wouldn't pay $50 a month to play any game, mmo or otherwise.

Actually that's a great observation.

Bobby Kotick is pleased.

Look at him; some of us call him a scum sucking piece of crap. Others call him a genius.

I think he's both because he can find these suckers every minute.

Paying to track Call of Duty stats.............. How can I get in on fleecing these idiots?

I sure hope you don't have a cable, internet, or phone bill that is near $50/mo....If so, count yourself...I hope you never go to the movies (heck that can be $10-15, even without someone you are taking, for 90 minutes...)..

I bet a lot of people on here spend $50 a month on pizza, pop, coffee, energy drinks....etc...

If you don't, you don't, but the average person 'wastes' money on things, so if something was the best game ever, I think a lot would pay it, even if they want to kid themselves into thinking they wouldn't.

People pay $50/mo more on a phone, so they can play angry birds and other generic games, than they would pay for a basic phone without the bells and whistles...So next time you see someone glued to their phone, you keep telling yourself no one would ever pay $50 for entertainment....Not that you see many people glued to their phone...

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Xthos

Hell no.

Bobby Kotick is pleased.

Look at him; some of us call him a scum sucking piece of crap. Others call him a genius.

Paying to track Call of Duty stats.............. How can I get in on fleecing these idiots?

I sure hope you don't have a cable, internet, or phone bill that is near $50/mo....If so, count yourself...I hope you never go to the movies (heck that can be $10-15, even without someone you are taking, for 90 minutes...)..

I bet a lot of people on here spend $50 a month on pizza, pop, coffee, energy drinks....etc...

If you don't, you don't, but the average person 'wastes' money on things, so if something was the best game ever, I think a lot would pay it, even if they want to kid themselves into thinking they wouldn't.

People pay $50/mo more on a phone, so they can play angry birds and other generic games, than they would pay for a basic phone without the bells and whistles...So next time you see someone glued to their phone, you keep telling yourself no one would ever pay $50 for entertainment....Not that you see many people glued to their phone...

When I see a game that offers me as much as my phone plan i'll pay 50 dollars. I haven't played a game yet that is worth even close to 50 dollars a month. Hell, most games released these days aren't worth 5 bucks a month. 

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I can easily afford it, but by fuck it would need to be better than ragging into a granny, mother & daughter combo !!

Its all just the stuff of legend!

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Some people pay that much already. Someone already mentioned a game called Gemstone. That game along with DragonRealms and the other text-based Simu games charage about that for their Platinum package and that's jsut a private RP-enforced version of the regular game. You get more attention from GMs, housing and a bunch of other things.  I paid that once and that was only because I forgot to cancel my trial.

Also, people double, triple or more box some of these games.  When I played OU, I found out through the forums that for some reason some guy had like 10 accounts. I honestly have no clue what you would do with or how you could even play that many accounts.

But, i'll pay $15/month on a game that is fun. I'm hoping that game would be Salem. I can't remember if that's a F2P or sub-based game, though.  I would say that I could/would pay more per month,  if I were able to play more than 2-4 hours a week.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by Khole

Originally posted by Xthos

Hell no.

Bobby Kotick is pleased.

When I see a game that offers me as much as my phone plan i'll pay 50 dollars. I haven't played a game yet that is worth even close to 50 dollars a month. Hell, most games released these days aren't worth 5 bucks a month. 

I agree, but that was the question, if you were offered a game that was that damn good, would you pay, people are acting like the OP said would you pay $50 a month for farmville....  I would pay, if it was that good.  No one is asking would you pay $50 for the same old trash that people are playing the free month on, then quitting.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by Realedazed

Also, people double, triple or more box some of these games.  When I played OU, I found out through the forums that for some reason some guy had like 10 accounts. I honestly have no clue what you would do with or how you could even play that many accounts.

"game is stunning and everything"

this is one of these problems today,people cant even understand how good MMORPG can be,its just buy exp pots to some weird "endgame" no no no ,for example Anarchy Online you could play lvl 1 character for years,lvl 10 lvl 25 lvl 124 etc,lvl did not matter,,you can have different character for different PvP scenarios,for different dungeons and so much more ,could write a book about it,,but anyways problem is that people cant even imagine anymore how good MMORPG can be,

Let's internet

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

I'm suprised the multi-account holders haven't pipped up yet.

When I played DAOC I ran three accounts and to me it was completely worth it at the time.   I ran a Chanter/Mentie/Druid combo for PvE.   Back then you had to pay for every other expansion so it was $45 a month and $150 for expansions every so often.  

A lot of people complained back then about Buffbots and such, but I really enjoyed multi-boxing.  In EVE it's even worse for some people who carry ten or even more accounts.  Although most of these people have made trillions in ISK and just buy PLEX like it ain't no thing.  

Obviously times have changed since the early DAOC days and I'm not trying to start an argument over those pesky MMO's that encourage/ed multipul accounts.   All I'm trying to demonstrate is that at the time, $50 a month was quite worth it for me.  

Currently I am loving Entropia Universe which of course uses a real cash economy.  This MMO takes a rather large investment to enjoy properly, but so far, if I were to cash out everything I own, I would break-even easily, maybe even be up a few bucks.  A lot of players cringe at the though of a RCE but it works out great in EU.  Like any other form of 'investment gaming', you do need an ample starting bankroll.

I know times are tough and I feel for those people like college students and the like that just don't have a ton of disposable income.  Truly I remembers those days.  But for us adults that can afford it, why the hell shouldn't we want a premium title that we would love at $50.  That's unlimited entertainment for $1.50 a day or for me it would work out to 50 cents an hour conservativly (yea yea I play a lot, please don't hassel me about it....my choice).

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

I would pay 50 per month for a game if it gave me the gaming experience that I wanted (great support, no casual content, competitive gameplay).