Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World of Warcraft: 'Not Going to Significantly Change Up WoW'

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,658MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

In a new interview at GameSpy, Blizzard's World of Warcraft team sat down to chat about the game and what may lay in store for it in the future. In one particularly significant quote, Lead Quest Designer Dave Kosak said, "I can't say any more about that, but I'll tell you that we're not going to significantly change up WoW at any point in the future."

The thought is that people have an expectation of what will happen when they enter World of Warcraft and the team wants players to meet that expectation. They want them to know the basics before they ever enter so they can concentrate on the environment, the story and not the mechanics.

Kosak continued, "When you get a quest to kill ten things, that lets you be your class, and you know exactly what to do, which means that you can concentrate on the story, concentrate on the atmosphere, concentrate on chatting with your friends. You can really be in the world."

Read the full interview at Gamasutra.


Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image
«13

Comments

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,940Member Uncommon

    Now if they'd undo the last 4 years of "improvements", I know I'd be happy.


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon

    With 10 millions subscribers why change things drasticly? look at apple and the ipads, nothing really changed from the first Ipad yet the new Ipad still sold millions in a matter of days.  People like familiarity change something and thy freak out.  "slowly slowly chatchy monkey" as they say.

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,933Member Uncommon

    Considering their top talent was taken off of WOW, this is what I'd expect anyway.  It's far easier to maintain the status quo.

  • DJJazzyDJJazzy louisville, COPosts: 2,053Member

    Aye, people playing the game are still pretty much happy with the gameplay so why would they change it?

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member
    I've heard the talent trees lack complexity and interest. If they won't change this then I won't be returning. It's a pity though.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,193Member Uncommon

    Doomed to mediocrity.

  • jeremyjodesjeremyjodes antioch, ORPosts: 679Member

    With that said they on a never ending campaign to alter the entire game.

    image

  • JimmydeanJimmydean Ypsilanti, MIPosts: 1,270Member

    I love how he defends kill 10 x quests... just shows how out of touch these developers have become.

  • uohaloranuohaloran ., GAPosts: 811Member

    It'd be a massive mistake if they were to drastically change the game.  Look at how well it still does after all of this time.

    You'd be an idiot to try and change anything big while still holding the greatest amount of players in your pool.

  • Heatsink98Heatsink98 Oklahoma City, OKPosts: 31Member

    This guy is completely lost, and somehow doesn't even notice it.  The drudgery of kill x/y quest design, among several other things, are where Blizzard is leaving the door open for competitors.

  • frestonfreston orensePosts: 521Member

    It makes sense from a business point of view. Theyve decided to save any innovations for Titan. They know that wow is seven years old, and the only chance of keeping it milked is counting on nostalgia (itll be the first mmorpg for a lot of people) and that means keeping the core mechanics intact. Even if they only keep 10 percent of their base in 5 years doing that theyll make more money than many other mmos. Theyll bet on titan to try to keep the other 90% . Good business for Blizzard, a shame for wow. The mmo market is finally , slowly moving in other directions, but wow will remain where it is. A pity.

  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

    They've already catered to the lowest common denominator, claiming they will not implement anymore significant changes is completely irrelevant at this point.

    What else is left to dumb down?

    - Stats are being removed again with this next xpack, and some are being folded into one.

    - Threat is basically non-existent now.

    - Gear gets thrown at you the moment you hit endgame.

    - Raids can be pugged with a large percentage of success.

    - Battlegrounds are still AFKfests with very few legitimately competitive players participating.

    - Arenas....

    The list goes on and on and on, I could spend an hour coming up with examples. The game has had it's day, I'm sad to say, time to take it out to the barn like an old sheep dog and put it out of it's misery.

  • zephermarkuszephermarkus qunatico, MDPosts: 201Member

    expresso

    "With 10 millions subscribers why change things drasticly? look at apple and the ipads, nothing really changed from the first Ipad yet the new Ipad still sold millions in a matter of days.  People like familiarity change something and thy freak out.  "slowly slowly chatchy monkey" as they say."

     

    They have no where near 10 million subs anymore lol stop using old numbers prolly in down to a million maybe u cant cuont asia cause they dont pay a sub so ia m counting na and eu the only places that matter to me and there are maybe 2 million subs it's about even with tor tor has about 1.5 mill and no i don't play tor nor wow they both suck.



     

  • usakoyukiusakoyuki Bremerton, WAPosts: 2Member

    Originally posted by Heatsink98

    This guy is completely lost, and somehow doesn't even notice it.  The drudgery of kill x/y quest design, among several other things, are where Blizzard is leaving the door open for competitors.

     

    They may be leaving it open for competitors, but I have yet to see any competitor take on the challenge of changing more than a couple quests to something unique. Almost every MMORPG = go talk to X NPC, go kill Y monster, over and over and over.

    WoW does at least have some fun mechanics in their quests...most online games don't even bother with that much. I wouldn't consider myself a fangirl, but haven't found anything I enjoy more.

    In any case, just because you aren't having fun with something, doesn't mean other people aren't. Plenty of people are still enjoying WoW, new and old players alike.

  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by zephermarkus

    expresso

    "With 10 millions subscribers why change things drasticly? look at apple and the ipads, nothing really changed from the first Ipad yet the new Ipad still sold millions in a matter of days.  People like familiarity change something and thy freak out.  "slowly slowly chatchy monkey" as they say."

     

    They have no where near 10 million subs anymore lol stop using old numbers prolly in down to a million maybe u cant cuont asia cause they dont pay a sub so ia m counting na and eu the only places that matter to me and there are maybe 2 million subs it's about even with tor tor has about 1.5 mill and no i don't play tor nor wow they both suck.

    erm, ok, thanks for your valued input this discussion.

  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by zephermarkus

    expresso

    "With 10 millions subscribers why change things drasticly? look at apple and the ipads, nothing really changed from the first Ipad yet the new Ipad still sold millions in a matter of days.  People like familiarity change something and thy freak out.  "slowly slowly chatchy monkey" as they say."

     

    They have no where near 10 million subs anymore lol stop using old numbers prolly in down to a million maybe u cant cuont asia cause they dont pay a sub so ia m counting na and eu the only places that matter to me and there are maybe 2 million subs it's about even with tor tor has about 1.5 mill and no i don't play tor nor wow they both suck.










     

    Really 1million for just NA and EU? lol.. what purpose does your post have exactly? There is no point to it even the haters aren't that obvious.

  • newbinatornewbinator LA, CAPosts: 780Member

    There is no reason to drastically change things. I like what they're doing in MoP. Adding a ton of new content and new ways to play. 

  • EndDreamEndDream orange county, CAPosts: 1,152Member

    Remember Old School Ultima Online

  • AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member

    Concentrate on the grind

    Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

  • Br3akingDawnBr3akingDawn a City, CAPosts: 1,361Member Uncommon

    haha "concentrate on chatting with your friends" who in thweir right mind wants to pay a sub or fee to just get online to chat to their friends. F2P time blizzard.

    image

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

    Originally posted by expresso

    With 10 millions subscribers why change things drasticly? look at apple and the ipads, nothing really changed from the first Ipad yet the new Ipad still sold millions in a matter of days.  People like familiarity change something and thy freak out.  "slowly slowly chatchy monkey" as they say.




     

    You are a badly informed muppet. WoW today is not like vanilla WoW at all.

     

    For example, my fire mage used to be a brilliant single-target damage dealer. Now, fire mages are geared to do group damage, and are still weak and have limited kiting ability. When you think about it, that is very very stupid.

     

    The WoW devs must have an average IQ of about 80.

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

    Originally posted by freston

    It makes sense from a business point of view. Theyve decided to save any innovations for Titan. They know that wow is seven years old, and the only chance of keeping it milked is counting on nostalgia (itll be the first mmorpg for a lot of people) and that means keeping the core mechanics intact. Even if they only keep 10 percent of their base in 5 years doing that theyll make more money than many other mmos. Theyll bet on titan to try to keep the other 90% . Good business for Blizzard, a shame for wow. The mmo market is finally , slowly moving in other directions, but wow will remain where it is. A pity.




     

    Nostagia? You're crazy. WoW has changed - read the comments.

  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Mors.Magne



    Originally posted by expresso



    With 10 millions subscribers why change things drasticly? look at apple and the ipads, nothing really changed from the first Ipad yet the new Ipad still sold millions in a matter of days.  People like familiarity change something and thy freak out.  "slowly slowly chatchy monkey" as they say.










     

    You are a badly informed muppet. WoW today is not like vanilla WoW at all.

     

    For example, my fire mage used to be a brilliant single-target damage dealer. Now, fire mages are geared to do group damage, and are still weak and have limited kiting ability. When you think about it, that is very very stupid.

     

    The WoW devs must have an average IQ of about 80.

    Changes to classes have accured over many years, they didn't decide on a tuesday to turn mages from single target class cannon to what ever they are today (I dont play mages) and implement it on wednesday.   If I am a  muppet can I be the count? ah ah ah ah ah 

    Wotlk exp kind of turned all classes in to AOE damagers, Cata pulled back a bit on the AOE- wonder where MOP will take us.

  • GorillaGorilla Posts: 2,203Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

    Considering their top talent was taken off of WOW, this is what I'd expect anyway.  It's far easier to maintain the status quo.

    There top talent left and formed Anet! Though that was sometime ago of course. I wonder if they still have 'got it'.

  • frestonfreston orensePosts: 521Member

    Originally posted by Mors.Magne



    Originally posted by freston



    It makes sense from a business point of view. Theyve decided to save any innovations for Titan. They know that wow is seven years old, and the only chance of keeping it milked is counting on nostalgia (itll be the first mmorpg for a lot of people) and that means keeping the core mechanics intact. Even if they only keep 10 percent of their base in 5 years doing that theyll make more money than many other mmos. Theyll bet on titan to try to keep the other 90% . Good business for Blizzard, a shame for wow. The mmo market is finally , slowly moving in other directions, but wow will remain where it is. A pity.










     

    Nostagia? You're crazy. WoW has changed - read the comments.




     

    I dont need to read the comments. Ive been playing wow from day 1. Ive also played other mmos. Wow has changed in some aspects, as you would expect in a seven year period, most notably the dungeon finder and the dumbing of dungeons (it used to take 4 hours to do blackrock mountain, the dwarf section. Now they build them to be cleared in 20 mins) But the core mechanics (questing, no sidekicking, crafting...) remain the same and the devs clearly state in the interview that they are working in a whole new mmo to try new things, which is kind of my point. And yes, it will be nostalgia which will keep people tied to wow in 5 years, much like it keeps playing them eq or the original asherons call. The only difference is that it will be a much more lucrative nostalgia, as i think Wow will keep a minimum of  750k at its lowest.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.