Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: The Freeform Progression System

Comments

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper
    going to pass on this game, maybe wait 6 months or until they release the first big patch like they did with Age of Conan, or probably 1 year and play it for free

A year?
    That long?

Originally posted by rastorg

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh I can assure you, there will be an uproar when it's revealed that the cash shop is P2W. Yes, I understand that it hasn't been revealed and noone knows what is in it yet. But there are 2 reasons why I am certain of this. 1. Funcom has lied about what they will do in their Cash Shop before (I linked to their lie and back peddle yesterday) 2. More importanly, Because they had time to play with Cash Shops in other games. FunCom has leaned that they simply can.....they just can. Oh, players will bitch. Hell players will kick up a shit storm. Nothing new to FunCom. Some may even leave. But those are acceptable losses. Because most of the sheep will settle down and then Most of the people who say "I don't have to pay a dime" will end up buying into the P2W scheme and becoming regular CS users. They have done it in both their other games. It stands to reason that if something is in FunCom's best interest. And that Funcom CAN do it.....well. It's not rocket science.  
    I think it's safe to assume you feel strongly against cash shops. It's ok. You have the option to pass on this game and look for something to suit your playing style.Cash shop will cause an uproar when/if it's revealed it contains P2W items ?Only among people with your mentality lol.To me, cash shops ( P2W or not) mean more options in my gaming, and I'm always willing to spend money in my favorite hobby, supporting the developers who provide the entertaiinment I'm looking for.Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of options for gamers out there. Just find the game that is right for you, but keep in mind the "evil" cash shops will exist as long as there are enough people willing to spend money on them, and trust me, there are plenty of customers out there willing to pay for more options when it comes to entertainment.I, for one, say "Funcom, bring it on ! ", I am ready with my wallet lol.Have a nice day everyone.  
    So, what's been your experince dealing with FunCom?
    And the people with my mentality.....Are former FunCom customers who know.
    Watching them over the years...how they treat the players.
    It'll be no different.
    They believe they have a right to take a squat in your cheerios then charge you for the added content.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Hype machine getting stronger and stronger, plenty of naive forum users, NDA...hmm, I wonder where I saw this before. I'm so sure it will go super awesome this time. Funcom is awesome.

Right? Double-dipping is cool! Right?

Originally posted by Rawiz
    Hype machine getting stronger and stronger, plenty of naive forum users, NDA...hmm, I wonder where I saw this before. I'm so sure it will go super awesome this time. Funcom is awesome.

Double dipping?
    ANet is double dipping.
    FunCom is Tripple Dipping.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by Rawiz

Double dipping?

ANet is double dipping.

FunCom is Tripple Dipping.

True. I somehow didn't even remember that even buying the client costs money.

Well, there will be plenty of forum entertainment to come, that's for sure.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I might actually end up buying my first Funcom game, but with Funcom history of poor quality products and failed launches I doubt I will keep playing it beyond my first month.

I wouldn't put too much hope into the "unique" skill system and free choice from over 500 skils. I suspect it will end up in similar manner like Darkfall did. Only some of the possible skill combinations are going to make sense and the best few ( from min/max perspective ) will dominate the rest.

• rastorgrastorg Member UncommonPosts: 32

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by rastorg

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh I can assure you, there will be an uproar when it's revealed that the cash shop is P2W. Yes, I understand that it hasn't been revealed and noone knows what is in it yet. But there are 2 reasons why I am certain of this. 1. Funcom has lied about what they will do in their Cash Shop before (I linked to their lie and back peddle yesterday) 2. More importanly, Because they had time to play with Cash Shops in other games. FunCom has leaned that they simply can.....they just can. Oh, players will bitch. Hell players will kick up a shit storm. Nothing new to FunCom. Some may even leave. But those are acceptable losses. Because most of the sheep will settle down and then Most of the people who say "I don't have to pay a dime" will end up buying into the P2W scheme and becoming regular CS users. They have done it in both their other games. It stands to reason that if something is in FunCom's best interest. And that Funcom CAN do it.....well. It's not rocket science.  

I think it's safe to assume you feel strongly against cash shops. It's ok. You have the option to pass on this game and look for something to suit your playing style.Cash shop will cause an uproar when/if it's revealed it contains P2W items ?Only among people with your mentality lol.To me, cash shops ( P2W or not) mean more options in my gaming, and I'm always willing to spend money in my favorite hobby, supporting the developers who provide the entertaiinment I'm looking for.Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of options for gamers out there. Just find the game that is right for you, but keep in mind the "evil" cash shops will exist as long as there are enough people willing to spend money on them, and trust me, there are plenty of customers out there willing to pay for more options when it comes to entertainment.I, for one, say "Funcom, bring it on ! ", I am ready with my wallet lol.Have a nice day everyone.  

So, what's been your experince dealing with FunCom?

And the people with my mentality.....Are former FunCom customers who know.

Watching them over the years...how they treat the players.

It'll be no different.

They believe they have a right to take a squat in your cheerios then charge you for the added content.

If you scroll up  you'll see my first post where I state I am currently subbed to AoC. And it's been a very pleasant experience for 2 years. The game is not perfect, actually far from it, but I still consider it one of the best MMOs currently in the market and I've pretty much played every AAA title out there.

Now the people with your mentality are not necessarily former and disgruntled Funcom customers because it's obvious you have a problem with their business model, which is the same business model of dozens of games that have nothing to do with Funcom.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you've been treated like crap by Funcom, but my story with them is very different and I am a satisfied customer. So how do they treat the players ? Because it's rather clear now you and I have different opinions about Funcom.

And sorry again, but if you develop a game and you have the rights to said intellectual property, you're free to charge whatever you want for access to your game and content.

If you are a consumer, you're free to decide if you want to pay or not, but some people feel they are entitled to dictate the direction of a game and just how much they should be charged for their gaming.

Again, feel free to pass on TSW. It's your call to make. I know I'll be there for launch and enjoying a game I've been watching for the last 3 years.

• ChowleyChowley Member Posts: 6

Right I absolutely cannot wait for this game. Its passed GW2 in the "cannot bloody wait for this!" stakes. Great article too. 

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

The skill system sound very complicated, which is good, since it'll take me a long time to master, thus giving the game a fresh feel longer than the 2 days to a week that most releases since WoW.

As for Funcom. I didn't play AO, but I did hear about it having a bad launch. However, I also heard how complex and unique that game is. I picked up and played AoC at release, and I never noticed anythign wrong with the release. I quit in my 20's because it was the same type of quest grinding I hated in previous games.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

AO was a fun game and the complexity made it even better....My first toon was a complete disaster though as you had to learn what skills were good, which were bad, which were worthless, which were broken, etc etc......I heard that TSW already has over 500 skills (and hasn't even launched yet)..... Also it will take alot of time to learn how certain skills work together and what is a prereq for what.

• LonkleyLonkley Member UncommonPosts: 2

It's self balancing.  It's like any other game.  By overloading strengths you expose yourself to weaknesses.  If someone figures out a wonderbuild, someone else can figure out a counter to it.  Either offensively by explotiing where they are weak, or defensively by buffing your defenses.

If it's unfair, adapt and overcome.  

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

AOC had it's issues, but i still think it one of the best mmo's ever made. The combat ruled, the world felt great. This game looks great as well.

I don't need to spend years in a game anyway, i think people expect too much and invest too much of thier lives in these games.

• Revanchist42Revanchist42 Member Posts: 4

blade and blood magic healing using templar?  Yes please!

finally i might be able to get a melee healer in a half decent mmo

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

It looks damn nice but i share the same doubts and anger as this guy, and i'm letting my AoC sub running out (til dec 2012) without logging because paying to play a non working, non fun game makes me feel even more stupid the having paid for not playing at all. 

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=1970575&postcount=42

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by tkobo

So, to sum up,one of this "new" mmo's "most compelling features" is a skill deck..... ?

No its the fact that there are no classes or levels in the game. And you can own each and every skill in this game which means you can effectivley own 500 skills. From these you can pick and choose 7 active and 7 passive. Which makes up a deck.

These decks can be saved and swapped in and out on the fly through dungeons or areas.

I am looking forward to this game as it is close to a design of my perfect mmo. I like the idea of how the missions are done and some you even have to google the answers before completing them.

• ArcBlade25ArcBlade25 Member Posts: 7

OMG OMG OMG 5 days till april, SO looking forward to it.

• AchylAchyl Member Posts: 29

The freeform system is one of the key things that attracts me to this game :D

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

In my opinion, this is what every MMO in existence lacks. I think Matrix Online was the closest to realizing a similar system, and guess what, I LOVED that feature. I never felt locked into anything. It allows you to make ONE character and put everything behind it. It's the definition of immersion. It, to me, is the next evolution in MMO gaming.

• gtnbtftegtnbtfte Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by jtcgs

Does it matter? Its FUNCOM!

EVERY single game they have made had great potential never realized because its FUNCOM.

EVERY single game they have made had great ideas poorly implimented because its FUNCOM.

EVERY single game they have made had PISS POOR SUPPORT because its FUNCOM and thats how they do things.

EVERY single beta they have had they did not listen to their testers, because FUNCOM doesnt care until its TOO LATE. This beta was no different. I will sit back and enjoy reading articles about this game 4 years from now about how Funcom is making major changes to a part of the games system to try to retain the few players that are still playing...much like how only now after all these years is Conans crafting system getting completely redone from scratch even though it was a hot topic a year BEFORE it was released...and dont even get me started on Anarchy Online.

Funcom doesnt even not know how to update and upgrade their games in a timely fashion.

The saying goes  "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...fool me three times and my parents should be shoot for creating such an idiot."

I agree with you because I was there in AoC beta and at launch, I was even there a few months after.

What surprises me reading these  posts and other threads is how easy it was for people to forget. (professional game advertisers *ahem* games journalists *ahem* must be doing a good job these days.

But I also see this "This-time-it-will-be-different" syndrome where normal people come up with all sorts of excuses why TSW will not be another AoC like they need it to be true. There has to be a study of some sort on MMO players on why this happens :P

Free advice to all: This one is not one you preorder. This is the one where you wait for at least a month after launch before you consider buying.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

My money, my decision.

If I paid for a single player game masqueraded as mmoprg (SW:TOR), I think I can burn some money on a potentially good mmorpg, even if that potential never gets realised.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by gtnbtfte

Originally posted by jtcgs

Does it matter? Its FUNCOM!

EVERY single game they have made had great potential never realized because its FUNCOM.

EVERY single game they have made had great ideas poorly implimented because its FUNCOM.

EVERY single game they have made had PISS POOR SUPPORT because its FUNCOM and thats how they do things.

EVERY single beta they have had they did not listen to their testers, because FUNCOM doesnt care until its TOO LATE. This beta was no different. I will sit back and enjoy reading articles about this game 4 years from now about how Funcom is making major changes to a part of the games system to try to retain the few players that are still playing...much like how only now after all these years is Conans crafting system getting completely redone from scratch even though it was a hot topic a year BEFORE it was released...and dont even get me started on Anarchy Online.

Funcom doesnt even not know how to update and upgrade their games in a timely fashion.

The saying goes  "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...fool me three times and my parents should be shoot for creating such an idiot."

I agree with you because I was there in AoC beta and at launch, I was even there a few months after.

What surprises me reading these  posts and other threads is how easy it was for people to forget. (professional game advertisers *ahem* games journalists *ahem* must be doing a good job these days.

But I also see this "This-time-it-will-be-different" syndrome where normal people come up with all sorts of excuses why TSW will not be another AoC like they need it to be true. There has to be a study of some sort on MMO players on why this happens :P

Free advice to all: This one is not one you preorder. This is the one where you wait for at least a month after launch before you consider buying.

More free advice - never preorder a game, wait till after it launches.  Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

It almost always sounds good on paper.

• MickyBoozerMickyBoozer Member Posts: 7

This is just Skyrim's leveling system, a tiered wheel. Its hilarious they are taking credit for the idea and people are buying it.

This game will be PvE with a terrible unbalanced PvP CTF theme park addition on the side.

Funcom doesn't get PvP.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by MickyBoozer

This is just Skyrim's leveling system, a tiered wheel. Its hilarious they are taking credit for the idea and people are buying it.

This game will be PvE with a terrible unbalanced PvP CTF theme park addition on the side.

Funcom doesn't get PvP.

Secret World began development in 2006. Skyrim began development in 2008.

Who's leveling system would that make it?

If you're going to hate, please get a clue what you're hating on

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by nate1980

The skill system sound very complicated, which is good, since it'll take me a long time to master, thus giving the game a fresh feel longer than the 2 days to a week that most releases since WoW.

As for Funcom. I didn't play AO, but I did hear about it having a bad launch. However, I also heard how complex and unique that game is. I picked up and played AoC at release, and I never noticed anythign wrong with the release. I quit in my 20's because it was the same type of quest grinding I hated in previous games.

The skill system (the wheel) is actually quiet easy to use. TSW is in fact nothing like WoW, but if you don't like quest grinding then this won't be your game either.