Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm done defending Anet

GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

I'm sorry, but, I have to believe that a good portion of the complainers here are trolling.  Regardless, here are the reasons I'm not going to defend Anet on this board any longer.

1. You just can't please everyone.  I'm sure Anet is doing everything THEY think is right, both for them, and for the community. Let's say they drop the cash shop and charge a sub. Sure, they will gain some that wouldn't otherwise buy/play, but imho, they'd lose more.

2. Let's face it, many a wow fanboy or game du jour fanboy is here to stir up the pot, based on whatever perceived flaw they think has been announced most recently.

3. No matter how much anecdotal evidence you provide, quotes from developers, or any other kind of evidence, many people here just want to see the glass not just half empty, but empty. (see reason 2)

4. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn".  I mean really, I know this game is going to be good. I know it will be successful. Furthermore, it's Anet's job to market/sell, not mine, so, let them deal with it.

5. When I think about it, I like the GW fanbase just fine, thank you very much.  Do I really want a bunch of griefer/kill stealer types, invading Tyria, like a hoard of flaming termites to my escape ship?  Not really.

I'm not including everyone who has a concern, or problem, that's to be expected.  As far as I'm concerned though, Anet has a pretty good track record, and I'm happy to wait and see what it is actually like, BEFORE I pass judgment.  And for all those who are about to make a snide remark, "Ow, that hurt"...........feel better? 

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

MMORPG.com forums is like your middle school, non-stop trash talking that will ensue even if you can prove every point.  People are mad and frustrated at their piss poor MMO and get their rocks off trash talking on other MMOs.

This place is NOT the site of intellectual discussions plain and simple.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

But Sir,

Your White Knighting is NEEDED. You MUST "defend" Anet or the World will fall into ruin.

Please do not give up...Not now...With so much at stake. Fulfill your quest and turn not from your destiny.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

But Sir,

Your White Knighting is NEEDED. You MUST "defend" Anet or the World will fall into ruin.

Please do not give up...Not now...With so much at stake. Fulfill your quest and turn not from your destiny.

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not, either way, it's pretty entertaining............cheers ;)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Haters are just as blind as fanboys. And you shouldn't bother with most discussions about cash shop b/c these don't lead anywhere. people who think gw2 is p2w now won't change their minds no matter what you say. let them bi&*% and you simply wait for a game. no one is forced to buy the game. the faster "omg cash shop I hate you anet"-posters realize that the better.

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

I don't see a point in "defending" a game in the first place. I don't see one in "attacking" one either, for that matter.

Constructive criticism isn't exactly the overall MMO community's forté, to put it mildly, and I strongly doubt it ever was. Gamers are a stuck up, provocative and also very sensitive bunch, and I have yet to find an active forum where I can follow actually coherent and constructive discussions. I agree with you, most of all conversations result in trolling or ad hominem attcks. The dream of the internet pioneers, wasted.

I don't need to defend a product that I did not have a part in making. And most of all, I don't have to f***ing justify my taste in games. Especially not to some random guy I'll never play with, much less to whom I will never speak to in person.

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

But Sir,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Obi-Wan: Middle School: You will never find a more wretched hi..

Luke: What about MMORPG.com?

Obi-Wan: Oh, right.

Obi-Wan: Middle School and MMORPG.com: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

+1

/tips hat

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

But Sir,

I was just kinda thinking something along those lines...only less comical.

But seriously....Why does ANet need defending?

They are introducing a very controversial mechanic into their game. One that can convert currencies. That's a HUGE no-no for many people.
    There are People like me who feel that a CS is a kick in the nuts, who have a right to voice our displeasure without being "proven wrong" or told that we are just making shit up to troll.
    Sorry, but This is a game I want(ed) to play for a long time now. and shame on me, I thought B2P meant something other than F2P with a box fee. And I watched as a game I loved to play very rapidly deteriorate once a CS was introduced. I see what they do. They will never be OK in my book. That's my right to say it. And if ANet want's my money, (I realize the don't) then this is what comes with that.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

As others have basicly said. The company doesnt need defending. When GW2 releases and succeeds people will realize that its a quality and well made game run by a competent company. I find it highly amusing that many people are suddenly doubting the B2P model especially after how much of a smash hit that GW1 was. seems illogical to me but people will moan at just about anything eh? xD.

Best wishes

Saint

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

But Sir,

The White Knighting is what I get tired of on these forums. If you dont have the hivemind opinion that GW2 is perfect and ANet can do no wrong then you are shouted down, called names, and told to go back to WoW.

The GW2 circlejerk is out of control here but the mods do nothing to curtail it and instead banhammer anyone who questions that GW2 is going to change the world.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

If you read forums as often as most of us do, you learn that 90% of people posting are trolling. You just need to know when to try to defend, and when to stop. A troll is only gonna bring you down and make you angry. Don't waste time trying to convince them. Just keep your eyes open for real topics where people actually know what they're talking about and partake in those discussions.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

One thing you don't like about the game and you are labeled as a hater on these forums, White knights are patrolling everywhere.

Originally posted by Foncl
    One thing you don't like about the game and you are labeled as a hater on these forums, White knights are patrolling everywhere.

It's gotten so bad the we can't even question the ultimate taboo in an MMORPG? and that GW2 actually has a full fledged one?
  • BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Yep. Just read the responses to this thread I submitted. I was just asking an honest question and while some of the responses were good the majority were angry and dismissive. The very first post actual claims that, "raids suck, go back to WoW" is a valid argument against having raids in GW2.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/344466/So-whats-the-actual-argument-against-raiding-in-GW2.html

The community here is embarressing.

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

Yep. Just read the responses to this thread I submitted. I was just asking an honest question and while some of the responses were good the majority were angry and dismissive.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/344466/So-whats-the-actual-argument-against-raiding-in-GW2.html

The community here is embarressing.

If not entertaining
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

But Sir,

The White Knighting is what I get tired of on these forums. If you dont have the hivemind opinion that GW2 is perfect and ANet can do no wrong then you are shouted down, called names, and told to go back to WoW.

The GW2 circlejerk is out of control here but the mods do nothing to curtail it and instead banhammer anyone who questions that GW2 is going to change the world.

You sure it might not be because you're using unnecessarily crude language to deface an entire community of players on this site?

And, as a "white knight", I find it offensive that you'd generalize proponents of the ideals behind Guild Wars 2 and ArenaNet's game design philosophy as telling anyone with a dissenting opinion of the game to go back to WoW. Even when, in the OP, he's specifically mentions that he doesn't mean those who have legitament concern.

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

But Sir,

To be fair, most of the "criticism" on GW2 posted here is, for a large part, uninformed nonsense or simply trolling in the first place. Maybe I've been looking at too few threads, but in most of them, valid points were encountered with valid arguments. 

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

Originally posted by Twistingfate
    As others have basicly said. The company doesnt need defending. When GW2 releases and succeeds people will realize that its a quality and well made game run by a competent company. I find it highly amusing that many people are suddenly doubting the B2P model especially after how much of a smash hit that GW1 was. seems illogical to me but people will moan at just about anything eh? xD.

Best wishes
    Saint

OK, see this is a classic example.
    This post completely dismisses any possibility of mistakes made by ANet, It dismisses anyone who disagrees with the popular stance on GW2. It dismisses the fact that what was originally sold off way back when as "B2P" has changed into a straight up F2P with a box fee.

And the kicker is, it's really that this is the poster's hope and faith. Not knowledge. It's not factual it's not even anything yet.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by makkaal

But Sir,

To be fair, most of the "criticism" on GW2 posted here is, for a large part, uninformed nonsense or simply trolling in the first place. Maybe I've been looking at too few threads, but in most of them, valid points were encountered with valid arguments. 

This. Most criticism comes from ignorance and unwilingness to understand how something works.

• oddbat1334oddbat1334 Member Posts: 33

Barely any of this is worrisome, and that which is barely worries me. I'm actually relieved that they aren't putting us in a position like Turbine did with lotro when it went f2p where we have to buy things (or sub) in order to have a complete character. It seems like they're avoiding having items that can unbalance PvP or guild ladders. The only thing that really worries me is the bags/bank stuff, but its impact is lessened by being able to trade gold for gems. If someone wants to waste real money on a karma or xp boost to get ahead, it doesn't hurt me, and IDFC. It's not really all that unfair. If you're so dead-set on being bitter and competitive that is pisses you off to see someone level faster than you, then who wants you in the game to begin with? Personally, I vastly prefer this to having to sub. What actually worries me is seeing all of the toxic and hate-filled rage posts. The MMO community is turning into a bunch of spoiled children trapped on a desert island, probably because nobody wanted to deal with them anymore. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and of course you should speak up if something worries you, but devs seem more likely to respond to constructive criticism from someone with a civil tone. It's also worth noting that while you're entitled to an opinion, you're NOT necessarilly entitled to get your way just because you scream the loudest. Very seldom in the past few years have I played a game where the population could be described as "friendly" or "accessible." Maybe, just maybe, that could be different this time around.

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

and conversly say something positive about a game and you get labled a fanboi/fangurl.  Both sides are as bad as the other I mean this is why we have religions so groups of people can spend millenia argueing over small details and translation issues and get led by the nose into fighting over semantics by those in the know.

OP congratulations on coming to that conclusion the game doesn't need defending it's just like every other game on these forums it won't be perfect some will be able to overlook whats not perfect and have fun others won't be able to see past whatever they don't like.  No real point in arguing about it pople just have different tastes and find different things fun and it's not up to any one of us to tell those who arn't the same as us that they are doing it wrong.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

This discussion has been closed.