Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Novare Coast Preview and Guide

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This is Pokket's first impressions of Star Wars: The Old Republic's new warzone called Novare Coast. In addition to offering her first impressions, Pokket also provides a guide and explains the layout, some early strategies, and the objective of the match. Check out Game Face: 1st Impressions & Guide to Novare Coast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

In before the "another TOR article!?!" and "OMG Pokket sux" crowds.

Nice overview, Pokket.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Man Bioware just really doesn't get PvP at all. This is liek Alderaan 2.0. Real PvP happens in the open world, in designated PvP areas. DAoC at least got it right. WAR had a great idea but just poorly implemented it. By the time Bioware gets it, it's going to be too late. Guild Wars 2 can't come soon enough.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• chrisatronchrisatron Member Posts: 139

The girl speaking sounds like she's never played an MMO in her life and is reading something someone else wrote... uhh; It's just painful to listen too.

• SpatterCatSpatterCat Member UncommonPosts: 80

She's just being careful to speak clearly, making an effort to be crisp with enunciation, imo. I guess the first poster got it right... I liked the preview well enough, thx )

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Banegrivm

Man Bioware just really doesn't get PvP at all. This is liek Alderaan 2.0. Real PvP happens in the open world, in designated PvP areas. DAoC at least got it right. WAR had a great idea but just poorly implemented it. By the time Bioware gets it, it's going to be too late. Guild Wars 2 can't come soon enough.

Guild Wars 2 will be using instanced battlegrounds too

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

In before the "another TOR article!?!" and "OMG Pokket sux" crowds.

Nice overview, Pokket.

Pokket doesn't suck - it's only SWTOR that sucks somewhat.

I'm hoping she will review DUST when that comes out.

• StevenraStevenra Member Posts: 6

Nice explanation good job.

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by chrisatron

The girl speaking sounds like she's never played an MMO in her life and is reading something someone else wrote... uhh; It's just painful to listen too.

Everything you see or hear in the video is captured and edited by myself. If you don't believe I play video games, then you could always check out my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pokket

Since I play video games daily and even stream those games M-F.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays

You can't really compare the PvP that UO, DAoC, and WAR had to what SWTOR and WoW have. They are, technically, completely different things. If you don't like instanced PvP, then it's obvious that games like SWTOR and WoW probably aren't for you. I LOVE the PvP in Ultima Online, but I can still really enjoy the PvP SWTOR has to offer.

And while this map is similar to Alderaan, you'll find that the strats people use are different, plus there is no "wow we lost unless we 3cap" threshold that you'll meet in this map. Capturing 2 points and holding can enable a great comback. Honestly, I like both the maps, but I have to admit I probably like this one more.

Generally speaking, I don't agree with 'trolling' people who publish their real identities. They deserve respect for making their identities known - it requires a degree of courage.

However, I think with politicians it's a bit different - they invite debate!

Of course, journalists live in a sort of 'grey area'. I've never thought about it before, but I imagine journalists build up a professional way of analysing, communicating without offending unduly, and a sort of amour to go with it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Pokket

You can't really compare the PvP that UO, DAoC, and WAR had to what SWTOR and WoW have. They are, technically, completely different things. If you don't like instanced PvP, then it's obvious that games like SWTOR and WoW probably aren't for you. I LOVE the PvP in Ultima Online, but I can still really enjoy the PvP SWTOR has to offer.

And while this map is similar to Alderaan, you'll find that the strats people use are different, plus there is no "wow we lost unless we 3cap" threshold that you'll meet in this map. Capturing 2 points and holding can enable a great comback. Honestly, I like both the maps, but I have to admit I probably like this one more.

Ehh what??  Vanilla WoW (pre-TBC) had great world PVP!

I have played for 2 and half years on an european RP-PVP server. We had awesome guilds on both Aliance and Horde (even running my own guild).

We organised large world RP and PVP events pretty much every week and it was a total blast!

WoW really had great world PVP (Cross Roads, Tarren Mill, raiding Stormwind and Undercity with over 200 people...epic times!! )

Then came the Cross realm battlegrounds,  the crap with Arena's and Arena Tournaments.... then everything went to hell and world PVP just died off, as no one really cared anymore.

Even the battleground Alterac Valley was a blast back in the beginning, as we were able to make full premades on both sides, with intense PVP Alterac Valley matches that lasted over 7-8 hours!

But that too went to hell, the moment Blizzard introduced cross-realm BG's and everything just turned into (AFK) honor farming!

But seriously.... WoW was really great fun the first two years up til the first expac (TBC)! which people refer to as Vanilla WoW.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

They need more hutball maps.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Ehh what??  Vanilla WoW (pre-TBC) had great world PVP!

I have played for 2 and half years on an european RP-PVP server. We had awesome guilds on both Aliance and Horde (even running my own guild).

We organised large world RP and PVP events pretty much every week and it was a total blast!

WoW really had great world PVP (Cross Roads, Tarren Mill, raiding Stormwind and Undercity with over 200 people...epic times!! )

Then came the Cross realm battlegrounds,  the crap with Arena's and Arena Tournaments.... then everything went to hell and world PVP just died off, as no one really cared anymore.

Even the battleground Alterac Valley was a blast back in the beginning, as we were able to make full premades on both sides, with intense PVP Alterac Valley matches that lasted over 7-8 hours!

But that too went to hell, the moment Blizzard introduced cross-realm BG's and everything just turned into (AFK) honor farming!

But seriously.... WoW was really great fun the first two years up til the first expac (TBC)! which people refer to as Vanilla WoW.

I agree.

I thought the assaults on Stormwind were really exciting.

My first ever experiences of PvP were the running battles at Ashenvale.

All of that has gone now.

I can't even log in for a sense of nostalgia - everything has changed - my fire mage doesn't work properly. Frost mages are better but are dreadfully boring.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Indeed, you're sadly, right.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

That was the most scripted review I have heard in awhile. I would be willing to bet that bioware sent her a script to read with a few fill in the blank spots to add things in her own words.

• J2KhouriJ2Khouri Member UncommonPosts: 31

Pokket, this game is terrible, please stop talking about it.

Originally posted by LIOKI

That was the most scripted review I have heard in awhile. I would be willing to bet that bioware sent her a script to read with a few fill in the blank spots to add things in her own words.

Funny thing is... everything was off of the top of my head ~.^ Absolutely nothing was written down or typed. I was told before that I sounded scripted, so I stopped using scripts. Oh well, can't please everyone. But moving on...

Here is a highlight from my stream where I am playing on the PTS server with a lowbie toon (didn't have my 50 on it yet): http://www.twitch.tv/pokket/b/312663652

The first Warzone in the highlight is, of course, the new warzone. I played on the PTS multiple days, including today on my 50, and plan on playing on it some more.

• HamboneqtHamboneqt Member Posts: 3

ITS A GUIDE 

ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE A TV SHOW

YOU LOSE LIOKI

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Funny thing is... everything was off of the top of my head ~.^ Absolutely nothing was written down or typed. I was told before that I sounded scripted, so I stopped using scripts. Oh well, can't please everyone. But moving on...

Here is a highlight from my stream where I am playing on the PTS server with a lowbie toon (didn't have my 50 on it yet): http://www.twitch.tv/pokket/b/312663652

The first Warzone in the highlight is, of course, the new warzone. I played on the PTS multiple days, including today on my 50, and plan on playing on it some more.

I don't think that is working they way you want.  I hear you talking before pressing play.   It is you chatting about being a girl gamer etc. with a guy. . it plays over the video.

Sounds like a  feed of teamspeak etc. rather than your review.  If I press play I get both.  Candid though :)  DIdn't sound scripted :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Well dude if your way of bg  is good games like gw, war, exct- would have much more players, but it looks that people like classic wow battlegrounds and prove for that is millions of wow subscribers

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Everything you see or hear in the video is captured and edited by myself. If you don't believe I play video games, then you could always check out my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pokket

he is just probably some sexist dude. you don't have to prove anything to him pokket. anyways good rev on novare coast. mind if you can do a video about the legacy system and how its going to work. like maybe how the whole new legacy system will look etc...

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by aligada87

he is just probably some sexist dude. you don't have to prove anything to him pokket. anyways good rev on novare coast. mind if you can do a video about the legacy system and how its going to work. like maybe how the whole new legacy system will look etc...

Agree, just do your thing and ignore complaints, there will always be some. *

*this statement does not invalidate my right to think SWTOR is incompetent mediocrity at best.
  • Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Man, some players don't get it.  This is not, never was intended to be, and most likely never will be a game designed around open world PvP.  Figure that out, and you'll either enjoy the game for what it is or move on.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Man, some players don't get it.  This is not, never was intended to be, and most likely never will be a game designed around open world PvP.  Figure that out, and you'll either enjoy the game for what it is or move on.

It's Star Wars and it was sold as that.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

To bad it's 8v8... gg BW

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"