Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SWTOR has reduced WoW subscriptions

13»

Comments

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Toronto, ONPosts: 249Member

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Distopia

"Blizzard has said that the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic has been one of the main reasons behind the drop in subscriber numbers for its flagship MMO, World of Warcraft."

As far as I got into the article, don't really give two shites. but still this info is coming from Blizzard themeselves.

what you quoted was a summary from the article writer - not blizzard

the actual Blizzard quote said this

Of course people are trying Star Wars – our development team are trying Star Wars," said Lagrave. 

"I’m one of the few people who’s still playing it actually, but yeah we’ve seen a dip in subs. It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic, but it’s also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it’s not surprising.

They're taking those quotes from an interview he did with Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-19-blizzard-acknowledges-star-wars-the-old-republics-impact-on-wow

The dip in World of Warcraft subscriber numbers "has to at least be attributable to [Star Wars] The Old Republic", Blizzard acknowledged, speaking to Eurogamer last week.

Also

"We certainly do look at [where WOW players go], and we have a very smart bunch of guys who do our analytics for us,"

So Blizzard themselves is saying their research is showing that a number of players quit WoW for SWTOR.  It's really not the surprising, the question remains whether those people will eventually go back to WoW or will stick with SWTOR or move on to another game.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

I guess this just shows that SWTOR is an easy mode game for casuals as well since it attracted the same crowd.

El Psy Congroo

• TillerTiller Portland, ORPosts: 4,921Member

The people who really love WoW will never leave, the ones who are casual gamers leave for every new game then go back for an expansion.

SWG pre-cu vet, elder Jedi, elder BH -Bloodfin

• DinastyDinasty Posts: 109Member Uncommon

SWTOR has reduced SWTOR's subscriptions as well.

• AzrileAzrile Houston, MDPosts: 2,582Member

Originally posted by DaRoamer

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Distopia

"Blizzard has said that the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic has been one of the main reasons behind the drop in subscriber numbers for its flagship MMO, World of Warcraft."

As far as I got into the article, don't really give two shites. but still this info is coming from Blizzard themeselves.

what you quoted was a summary from the article writer - not blizzard

the actual Blizzard quote said this

Of course people are trying Star Wars – our development team are trying Star Wars," said Lagrave. 

"I’m one of the few people who’s still playing it actually, but yeah we’ve seen a dip in subs. It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic, but it’s also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it’s not surprising.

They're taking those quotes from an interview he did with Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-19-blizzard-acknowledges-star-wars-the-old-republics-impact-on-wow

The dip in World of Warcraft subscriber numbers "has to at least be attributable to [Star Wars] The Old Republic", Blizzard acknowledged, speaking to Eurogamer last week.

Also

"We certainly do look at [where WOW players go], and we have a very smart bunch of guys who do our analytics for us,"

So Blizzard themselves is saying their research is showing that a number of players quit WoW for SWTOR.  It's really not the surprising, the question remains whether those people will eventually go back to WoW or will stick with SWTOR or move on to another game.

Probably every game that has been released in the last few years has caused people to leave WOW.   I know when AOC and Warhammer were released there was a big debate about if it finally meant a dip in WOW subscribers.  But both of those games had a great first month, then lost half their subscribers by the 3rd month.  SWTOR is a better game, but still not that good and is bleeding subs fast.

The big IMPORTANT piece of information though is that WOW lost 1.9M subscribers BEFORE SWTOR was releasted.  WOW did not lost 2M subscribers because of SWTOR..   My personal opinion is that the difficulty of heroics the first 2-3 months are what did most people in.  Because they spent so much time redoing 1-60, there wasn´t much to do at endgame except heroics, which were drastically harder than what most players had been used to at the end o WOTLK.  I don´t think it was as much the difficulty of cata heroics as much as it was the change in the difficulty of heroics that caused problems.  People were used to 20 mins, no wipe, usually no deaths.. to 2 months where most pugs did not get through a dungeon without falling apart.  But again, that is just my opinion and it is based on ´when´the subscriber losses happened, which was a few months after Cata NOT when TOR was released.

• KholeKhole Irmo, SCPosts: 136Member Common

Originally posted by kadepsyson

I guess this just shows that SWTOR is an easy mode game for casuals as well since it attracted the same crowd.

Swtor has brought a new meaning to the word easy.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Flushing, MIPosts: 2,096Member

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Originally posted by Kaocan

I've been following that SWTOR thread you have there for quiet a while. You shoul dclarify your comments better.

Classic.

Typos are classic? /boggle

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Flushing, MIPosts: 2,096Member

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Yeah but it still isnt as easy as GW2's P2W scheme.

BW needs to get with the times.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member

Originally posted by agnostic4eve

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by Mephster

Blizzard thinks it is only for the short term but I think that is just ego talking. We'll see!

Article - http://www.incgamers.com/News/30814/blizzard-swtor-has-reduced-wow-subscriptions
    So SWTOR took, what 1.7Mil (what they say) from WoWs 10-11Mil?
    Yeah, EA/Bioware really hurt Blizzard

If everyone came from WoW, which I'm sure they did not that would  be 25,483,000.00$ a month. I think that qualifies as a hit, maybe you don't, but I do.
    Even if only 700k Subs came from WoW, that's still 10,493,000$ a month. Less if they sub for longer than 1 month at a time because of discounts on multi-month subs, but that also means they have a greater retention number.
    To have 1 company lose and another gain that, well, that's a hit, whether you care to admit it or not.
    Admit it or not, like or not, SWTOR is making a lot of money. I realize that all the "cool kids" on this site think it's the popular thing to hate the game, but it's making money for Bioware/EA/LA.
    In a few months the hate will switch to GW2 and we'll have 3 games to hate on a grand scale. WoW, SWTOR and GW2. There are lesser games that have hate as well, but it's popular (always has been) to dislike the big boys on the block.

its got nothing to do with being the popular thing to do. ppl who were super hyped about the game have said the same things everyone else has been saying. imo this is officially a transitional game. which is fine. EA is good at that. make a ton of cash fast .. and ruin games/franchises/studios at the same time.

im not worried about star wars .. but bioware? lol .. there'd need to be aliens jumping out onto my keyboard for me to buy a ME mmo .. or dragons for DA. They should have stuck to 1p games.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member

How does Blizzard know that people are leaving WoW for SWTOR? It could very well be for League of Legends, which I know some old WoW mates of mine are playing atm (they don't like Star Wars).

• catlanacatlana Houston, TXPosts: 1,677Member

Originally posted by sookster54

How does Blizzard know that people are leaving WoW for SWTOR? It could very well be for League of Legends, which I know some old WoW mates of mine are playing atm (they don't like Star Wars).

Leaving WoW, you are always asked why. A lot of folks simply tell them why. With a high number of folks done with the raids, lots of people are checking out SWToR until Mist is released.  

• CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

I think Swtor may have some very small effect and maybe a temporary one on WoW's sub numbers. 

But I really figure if WoW is loosing subs, its because of WoW.  I left it a few years go.  Swtor had nothing to do with it.  Never had a desire to return either. 

• arctarusarctarus nilPosts: 2,570Member Uncommon
    Its true, there's certainly quite a few players from wow.

when I was playing.tor, there's always discussion about zg/za, Kara and even aq and mc raid going on in general chat. Always makes me double check what game im playing.

and this kind of discussion is actually free advertising for wow, for players that play tor as their first mmo. Infact nearly mmo I've play since wow, there's always discussion, talks, about wow here and there

RIP Orc Choppa

• dadante666dadante666 buford, GAPosts: 404Member Common

Cant imagine when gw2 come out , but oh well like all subs game it wlll become f2p in no time

• OrphesOrphes TrePosts: 3,048Member

Blizzard thinks it is only for the short term but I think that is just ego talking. We'll see!

Article - http://www.incgamers.com/News/30814/blizzard-swtor-has-reduced-wow-subscriptions

So what kind of business do you run when you do not care if you lose 15% of your customers?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• Cirn0Cirn0 MosCOWPosts: 162Member

SWTOR uses the rusty WoWKiller sword +0.5.
    Blizzard: its just a flesh wound.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member

Originally posted by Orphes

So what kind of business do you run when you do not care if you lose 15% of your customers?

Most here will never know that experience because they are too busy griping about "the man." 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,652Member Uncommon

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

That would be almost all thier North American and Euro players.   I highly doubt WOW has more than 7 million players, 10 million is closer to accounts.     I tried TOR didnt like it, Im over on EVE now.    Thiers a few games that are making out on the exodus from WOW to TOR to something other than TOR.    EQ2 I heard is making out like a bandit also.         

What do you mean by 10 million is closer to accounts? An account is either active (which is counted as a sub) or it is frozen (not counted as a sub). I hope you don't mean that WoW has 10m accounts created. WoW had over 100m accounts created, maybe even more. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• xion12121xion12121 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 119Member

If the above article is true ,Then Jesus will come down to Earth Tomorrow and praise everyone with Gifts.............

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon

Its not SWOTR that reduced the number of WoW subs, its time, WoW is getting old, they are far from end of live tough, but obviously their main mechanics are getting old.

Blizzard knows this, but i doubt the investors will understand it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

13»