Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Upcoming MMO's without Pay2Win cash shop?

gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Just wondering if anybody knows of which upcoming MMO's will not have a P2W cash shop?  The only thing I would consider acceptable in a cash shop are cosmetic only items that are clearly differentiated from those that you can get in-game (for instance, not allowing you to buy items, cosmetic or otherwise, that others need to work for).

I don't care about monthly subscription price it can be whatever it needs to be ($10, $15, $50) or box price for that matter.

Now that GW2 is pay2win model (plus $60 box price) I think many of us are wondering what games we can look forward to that won't have this pathetic pay2win cash shop.  Certainly there must be at least one upcoming MMO that won't have this?

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

okay well since GW2 is your definition of p2w.... none of them.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Originally posted by atticusbc

I think OP should find a better hobby.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

If that is true, than we have reach a really pathetic point in MMO gaming history...

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

hehee in the near future there will be threads "which True MMORPG has best cash shop"

after that

cash shop ratings.

"how to cash shop" guide for best role playing experience etc.

i hope ArcheAge is the answer,but at these dark days these peeps might actually demand cash shop to it.

Let's internet

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Depends on your definition of P2W, but I guess if you're including GW2 you mean getting any advantage in the game by paying would mean P2W... so, it does look bleak from your point of view.

Both Tera and The Secret World will have cash shops, no idea what will be on them, but I'll bet that they'll have at least bonus XP for sale, so from your point of view they'll be P2W as well.

Archeage might be what you're looking for, haven't heard of a cash shop on it, but since they don't even have an US publisher yet there's very little info on wether it'll have one or not.

There's also Myst of Pandaria, AFAIK the cash shop there only lets you buy mounts and pets, though at least one of the pets there is tradeable for gold between players, so YMMV.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Voiidiin

GOOD GOD !

How many uninformed people are there signed up to MMORPG.com ?

PAY 2 WIN is not in GW2 nor is it in most games that have cash shops. Most developers know the dangerous road that adding P2W items can do to there paying customers.

Seriously, MMORPG.com needs to start requiring a basic knowledge test from new signups, something that screens out all the uninformed unintelligent spam posts we get hourly.

The second you allow people to trade their real money for ingame money, the "Get wealthiest" contest is already won by using real money.

Depending on what you can use the ingame money for, other "contests" may be won as well. Such as "most advanced crafter", "most exclusive wardrobe", etc. 

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by QSatu

I think OP should find a better hobby.

+1. that or look into his standards.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

1: Really.. the ten thousand wine and cheese threads in the GW2 forums about the big bad cash shop aint enough?

2: p2w = item that artifcialy boost stats, damage, and/or defense. Or items that are the best of the best and only able to buy them with real time money.  If someone else has an item to get rid of say rez sickness because he spent $5 and I have to wait 5 minutes. Hey, no big deal. I will go grab the weights and work out (ok, will probably get ice cream). If they level twice as fast as me, well, my e-peen is secure enough to handle that.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Depends on your definition of P2W, but I guess if you're including GW2 you mean getting any advantage in the game by paying would mean P2W... so, it does look bleak from your point of view.

Both Tera and The Secret World will have cash shops, no idea what will be on them, but I'll bet that they'll have at least bonus XP for sale, so from your point of view they'll be P2W as well.

Archeage might be what you're looking for, haven't heard of a cash shop on it, but since they don't even have an US publisher yet there's very little info on wether it'll have one or not.

There's also Myst of Pandaria, AFAIK the cash shop there only lets you buy mounts and pets, though at least one of the pets there is tradeable for gold between players, so YMMV.

Thanks for the info.  Archeage looks te be getting more and more interesting to me now.  Both regarding open world PVP and at least for now, no p2w cash shop.

Originally posted by Skarecrow7

1: Really.. the ten thousand wine and cheese threads in the GW2 forums about the big bad cash shop aint enough?

2: p2w = item that artifcialy boost stats, damage, and/or defense. Or items that are the best of the best and only able to buy them with real time money.  If someone else has an item to get rid of say rez sickness because he spent $5 and I have to wait 5 minutes. Hey, no big deal. I will go grab the weights and work out (ok, will probably get ice cream). If they level twice as fast as me, well, my e-peen is secure enough to handle that.

How about five times as faster leveling and four times as fast karma acquisition? Where do you draw the line and why?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by InFaVilla

GOOD GOD !

PAY 2 WIN is not in GW2 nor is it in most games that have cash shops. Most developers know the dangerous road that adding P2W items can do to there paying customers.

Seriously, MMORPG.com needs to start requiring a basic knowledge test from new signups, something that screens out all the uninformed unintelligent spam posts we get hourly.

The second you allow people to trade their real money for ingame money, the "Get wealthiest" contest is already won by using real money.

Depending on what you can use the ingame money for, other "contests" may be won as well. Such as "most advanced crafter", "most exclusive wardrobe", etc. 

OH REALLY ?

Cause that happend in EvE right ?

No in fact it didnt even come close.

Back to my post about uninformed people posting NONSENSE.

Lolipops !

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Pay2win = Cashshop that I don't like or understand.

All die, so die well.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

[mod edit]

I agree, see you after if you are successful sitting the entry test.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

How about five times as faster leveling and four times as fast karma acquisition? Where do you draw the line and why?

To what end?

GW2 leveling is pointless... all PvP is done at the same level, the only differences is SMALL stat increases from armor (please read the word SMALL) and more skills to choose from. 

Seriously are you so worried someone who started at the same time as you did might outlevel you because they paid for some stupid item ? 

From that line of thinking you should implement time limitations on how long a player can play the game. Cause if its unfair to buy something to level you quicker its unfar for those who cant play 10 hours a day to see someone else play for 14 hours a day.

Not even bringing into account that the leveling PLATEAU's mening instead of leveling always gets progressivley harder, it stays constant after level 20, meaning the time it takes to level from 20-21 is the same amount of time it takes to level from 79-80.

Please, take some time and read about the game you are criticising.

Lolipops !

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It's pretty sad to think that the only companies really offering no cash shop today are EA and SOE (TOR and Vanguard).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I like a dash of disgruntledness with my misinformation from bitter SWTOR players.

Why don't you try WoW? It has a microtransaction cash shop that isn't Play 2 Win. It's a more rudimentary version of Guild Wars 2's proposed cash shop.

Maybe if SWTOR is still around to play by this December, EA will incorporate a Cash Shop. Who knows?

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I like a dash of disgruntledness with my misinformation from bitter SWTOR players.

Why don't you try WoW? It has a microtransaction cash shop that isn't Play 2 Win. It's a more rudimentary version of Guild Wars 2's proposed cash shop.

Maybe if SWTOR is still around to play by this December, EA will incorporate a Cash Shop. Who knows?

I find this much more amusing actually.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Pay2win = Cashshop that I don't like or understand.

From what I've seen so far there seems to be 2 definitions of P2W that people use.

There's the one that the op uses, that any advantage you could gain by paying means the game is P2W. If that's your definition of P2W, then indeed the GW2 shop (and almost every other cash shop including the GW1 and WoW ones) are indeed P2W.

There's another one (this is the one I prefer to use) that only considers a game as P2W if there comes a point where you absolutely cannot progress any further without spending cash. Most F2P games use this model, either by locking dungeon, areas or raids unless you pay (AoC, DDO, LotrO), or limiting on the gear/abilities you can use by not paying (Everquest 2, RoM). In this case GW2 isn't considered P2W because nothing is blocked and there's nothing you can achieve by buying that can't be achieved (maybe not as fast) without spending anything extra, same with WoW, GW1, and hopefully will be the case with games that will use sub+cash shop like TSW and Tera.

So, which one is more valid?... I'd say both and neither one. It's up to each person to decide how much they're willing to accept. After all, these are games we play, not jobs. We play for fun, and there's no point in playing if there's something in a game that doesn't let us have fun, and for some people, knowing that other people can pay to get any advantage is just not acceptable, so there's really no point in playing a game where it can happen.

It's up to the individual to decide which game is better for himself, and everyone's right to debate the pros and cons of each method, but what I see as really damaging to the community as a whole is the attitude of "my definition is the correct one and whoever doesn't accept it is an idiot and a blinded fanboy/raging troll".

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Buying time != buying power.

Wake up.

GOOD GOD !

OH REALLY ?

Cause that happend in EvE right ?

No in fact it didnt even come close.

Back to my post about uninformed people posting NONSENSE.

As far as I understand, Eve has so much PvP and destruction that well-coordinated strikes can be very efficient against big spenders.  This is not true in the grand majority of MMORPGs.  The norm is that the worst thing another player can do towards you, in practice, is to make you lose a few minutes respawning. 

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Thanks for the info.  Archeage looks te be getting more and more interesting to me now.  Both regarding open world PVP and at least for now, no p2w cash shop.

Sorry, they will have a cash shop in Archeage.. most probably just cosmetic like GW2.. but if thats to much for you. ArcheAge might be out, too. Sorry.

Originally posted by Apraxis

Sorry, they will have a cash shop in Archeage.. most probably just cosmetic like GW2.. but if thats to much for you. ArcheAge might be out, too. Sorry.

He clearly wrote that he is fine with "just cosmetic". GW2's is not "just cosmetic", it has a lot of convenience and the ability to trade your real money for ingame money.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Five times, huh?  So they are selling items that give a 500% XP increase rather than a 50% increase over an hour?  You sure about that? 

Either way, I would still outlevel you if you were to use them because I play more and can be pretty efficient if grinding.  Not that I would in this game.  What would be the point of outleveling you?  There's no way I can use it against you so it would be quite the waste of money to bother.  Maybe it's just a pride thing for you then.  Maybe you see some need to have an 80 beside your name so that other players know you're a man to be reckoned with.  A man of rare courage and stalwart conviction.  A man who achieved the unachievable and hit the level cap ... oh wait, everyone can do that. 

Oh well, I'm sure you've cooked up some sort of fevered rationale to justify the need to outlevel your fellow players.  Good luck with that in ArcheAge -- and let me know how their cash shop works out for you once it's announced.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

If that is true, than we have reach a really pathetic point in MMO gaming history...

It isn't... OP is completely incorrect. Items that, for example, give you a little XP boost in a game where levels really don't mean a whole lot, for example, aren't even remotely P2W.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Sythion

Buying time != buying power.

Wake up.

Buying time == Less players

They should pay me to play, not vice versa.  After all without gamers those worlds would be pretty empty.  I guess they could add in some scripted player bots to make it feel not so empty, but it just wouldn't be the same.

This discussion has been closed.