Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

Comments

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by zanebergeron

Nope!  $50 a month is a bit going overboard, it better come with a personal servant to cook, clean, and goto work for me.

It would also have to have a "Pause Real Life" feature because such a game would be the ultimate time consumer. Therefore, the PRL feature would ensure we don't waste our lives dedicated to this pocket cleaner :-D

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Yes!

If they catered to my play style I would (sadly, casual now; P).  They would also have to be quick with patches, new content, and bug fixes.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Of course, entertainment outside is so expensive. But the bar for quality would be set incredibly high, constant updates and some very diverse content, not some basic combat-only gameplay we all see every day. Something that only a $50 monthly fee could be able to raise enough budget for, but I fear this would make no difference because the number of subscriptions would basically make the budget the same as if the game had a $15 monthly fee.

If they did an incredibly good marketing campaign, not to mention offering trials from day one, they could be able to show their game is actually worth the $50 fee.

Come to think of it..... I never thought I would be paying over $130 on a cell phone bill, almost $200 on a cable bill and.... Ok so maybe I would, but it would have to be perfect.... I mean really perfect. Perfect for me would mean not having to grind for hours without success at times, not camping one mob against 20 other players, not having an economy ran by RMT and.... aw heck, forget it'll never happen in this life...

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Perhaps it has been mentioned but were there not an EQ server that charged you just that?

One with increased GM events and a lot of other fluff?

Just seem to remember something like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

No I would not "pa" $50.00 a month for any MMO

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I like all the people saying no when I bet atleast 50% of those are going to be spending $50/mo playing GW2 and their CS items.

As I see it we are still at $15/mo because we have less in depth games with a fraction of the content as before. Without increasing the cost to play we can't expect to have the same quality of MMOs as in the past.

Anyone heard of inflation?

Why so many think $15/mo is expensive I don't know but I do know that most people spend that almost on one meal at McD's.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I already paid 50$ a month for a few mmo's i only played 1 month.

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Anyone heard of inflation?

Why so many think $15/mo is expensive I don't know but I do know that most people spend that almost on one meal at McD's.

This.

Remember when a meal at McD's was only like $3? man times have changed since I was a kid.

Cable TV use to be like $50 and now its tripple that depending on carrier and package. I also agree with you that we get what we pay for. However; I'm hoping that will all change with foundational changes like GW2 is brining to the table. I know most people will spend $50 or more a month at the CS, but the fact still remains that, its optional and not mandatory. So the people with less self control can feed the greed while those of us with more moderate taste can still enjoy that game.

I thgink $50 a month will be reality someday actually, one day we will all look back at the "good ol days" and say; man remeber when mmo's were $12-$15?

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

no

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by zanebergeron

Nope!  $50 a month is a bit going overboard, it better come with a personal servant to cook, clean, and goto work for me.

some of these response are amazing to me. The whole 'better come with ____" and all of those ____ are possible right now today for $1000's of dollars a month but yet if you throw a game into it, it better only cost $50?

wtf?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Hmmm for $50 a month...

Free expansions

Security - preventative measures and reliable recovery

Quality content - not quantity

A box of chocolates every month

Player generated content

Dynamically generated content - ala Skyrim infinite quest system

Customer loyalty program

Payments for psychiatrist after having played the game non stop in order to justify price

Constant dev support

Voice chat

Solid in-game support

Solid out-of-game support - mobile apps, wiki etc

Zero bugs

Minimal to no server downtime

In hindsight I might as well just spend $50 on the lottery.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

why do so many gamers expect more from their game for $50 then what would ever be possible in real life?

example of some of the response: s8x (ok that would not run you $50 a month that is for sure), house cleaning (ok that is what? $100 a month min, house cooking? (ok maybe $1000), monthly chocolates? ok thats around $15 a month off of you massively huge $50 expense.

more then likely most of you spend more than $50 a month on what you consume while playing an MMO.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Hpnesstly? Yes, I would.

If there was a "perfect" game that I couldn't get enough of, I definitely think I would pay 50 dollars a month for. Truthfully, there's worse things I spend my money on. LOL

Watch this....

My Honda accord use to cost $20-$26 to get a full tank. On my way into work today I payed $53 for a full tank lol

People can say what they want but  if it came down to it they would mostly all go against their own word. I use to say I would NEVER pay more than $30-$35 for a tank of gas but lets face it, we don't control those who control the price :-)

Originally posted by Magnetia

Hmmm for $50 a month...

Free expansions

Security - preventative measures and reliable recovery

Quality content - not quantity

A box of chocolates every month

Player generated content

Dynamically generated content - ala Skyrim infinite quest system

Customer loyalty program

Payments for psychiatrist after having played the game non stop in order to justify price

Constant dev support

Voice chat

Solid in-game support

Solid out-of-game support - mobile apps, wiki etc

Zero bugs

Minimal to no server downtime

In hindsight I might as well just spend $50 on the lottery.

Yep because that game you just detailed will never exsist  x-D

Originally posted by Scripture1

Watch this....

My Honda accord use to cost $20-$26 to get a full tank. On my way into work today I payed $53 for a full tank lol

People can say what they want but  if it came down to it they would mostly all go against their own word. I use to say I would NEVER pay more than $30-$35 for a tank of gas but lets face it, we don't control those who control the price :-)

many of them would stop gaming out of principle because they feel the price is unfair and then start doing real life stuff at a cost of around 50 times that which they were spending for games and for 1/2 the fun factor.

why? because some people are flat out st*pid

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Yes i would I have always said that the boutique hotel/premium service model mmo is the way to go nowadays,

And for those trying to turn this into some ethics debate I hope you were out on the street during the Wall Street protests, otherwise you are pretty much just spitting hot air. There are plenty of choices out there for those who don't want to pay for such a service.

People have been paying premium services for things for hundreds of years. Want a better home, pay more money, want better clothes, etc. People have been paying more money for things since the times of the Egyptians. This is what humans do, and until we abolish money and this becomes some Star Trek age that will not change.

I would glady pay for a 50 dollar mmo with policed servers, constant gm events and a free cash shop if there was one. If sports fans can have on the court or skybox seats why can't I have a premium server with rp enforced rules and constant gm events?

That same company would have to know that if I am not getting the services I am paying extra for I will drop them like a hot rock covered in acid.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Scripture1

Watch this....

many of them would stop gaming out of principle because they feel the price is unfair and then start doing real life stuff at a cost of around 50 times that which they were spending for games and for 1/2 the fun factor.

why? because some people are flat out st*pid

I Lol'd out loud at this. so true, so true lol

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

No b/c even a perfect mmo wouldn;t be fresh enough each month to be worth the price of a new game. Devs would have to release massive patches to the game for me to consider paying that much.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

I can't spend that much and I won't.

It doesn't matter if a game has all the bells and whistles I could hope for.

Originally posted by QSatu

No b/c even a perfect mmo wouldn;t be fresh enough each month to be worth the price of a new game. Devs would have to release massive patches to the game for me to consider paying that much.

I think you miss the point completely. I am suggesting that if they charged $50 a month they could hire tons more developers and have new content every single night.

3 times the revenue one would assume 3 times the content would be possible.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by QSatu

I think you miss the point completely. I am suggesting that if they charged $50 a month they could hire tons more developers and have new content every single night.

3 times the revenue one would assume 3 times the content would be possible.

With 2k posts on this forum you should know it doesn't work that way. And the game would have to feel fresh. Adding 20 dungeons each week wouldn't be cool at all.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i didnt read all the older posts

but Everquest did charge players $40.00 / month for a special server (Stormhammer) 10 years ago

http://www.gamespot.com/news/everquest-legends-qanda-2848677

it lasted 4 years before it was shutdown

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

No, I would not. Not because I don't think my entertainment isn't worth $50/month, or because I don't have the money for it (I do), but because I can't see how it would be worth it and how you scale content without making everything "too big".

Game design needs to focus on giving more for the players to "do" than kill and craft; if a game expanded the socialization aspect, added competitions and other areas, I would happily pay more than $15/month, but I also want to know what I am getting for my money over time.