Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of WarPlanes: GDC 2012 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

World of WarPlanes is the latest entry into the MMO-space by Wargaming.net. During the recent Game Developer's Conference, we had a chance to check out WoWP and to talk with the team about this highly anticipated title. See what we found out!

At GDC last week, I got to sit down with Wargaming.net's CEO Victor Kislyi to learn more about World of Warplanes.  Being developed in Kiev, Ukraine rather than Wargaming.net's development center in Minsk, Belarus, World of Warplanes (WoWP) is following the incredible success of World of Tanks (WoT) and will be offering fast and intense dogfights and aerial combat.  You'll be able to choose from warplanes of many different nations from the World War I era to the Korean War, and while battles in WoWP will not initially be historical, Wargaming.net may consider re-creating famous scenarios for military history enthusiasts.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's World of WarPlanes: GDC 2012 Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

They won't ever get into e-sports until they balance russian vehicles with other vehicles.  There has been a bias towards russian stuff since day one closed beta.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

But premium ammo does disturb the game balance...........

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Yeah the russians are imbalanced due to the bias of the devs who are ya russian.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

VVVVVrrrooooooooaaaarrrrrrrrr .... TAK TAK TAK TAK TAK .... VRrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooo .... Pssssheeeew, psssheeeww ...

Brings back a lot of Secret Weapons of The Luftwaffe memories from 17 years ago. (Or maybe I'm just becoming senile).

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Am I the only guy who checks out these "Previews" expecting some video?

wtf...

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Am I the only guy who checks out these "Previews" expecting some video?

wtf...

No, you're not the only one.

As for the Russians being imbalanced. I can say that in World of Tanks, for the longest time, Russian armor has always been the top dog in any match.

IS-3, IS-4, IS-7, SU-152, ISU 152, Object.704, their Object 212 artillery etc etc. They always pack the most punch, but on paper they have relatively 22% less penetration of German or American guns. The deal is however, that Russian armor generally sits MUCH lower to the ground with their gun. Meaning, Russian armor's penetration values are, on average, MUCH higher than listed on paper. Where as Germans, Ameircans, and now French tanks have to deal with steeper angles from their turret's higher sitting angle compared to Russian Armor.

This isn't even close to balanced. If it WERE balanced, they wouldn't have had to nerf German armor across the board by roughly 46% in effectiveness. German Armor is relatively the best in the front (only has changed in the past 4months from when they used to be almost the same as Russian), but their guns are known as the least hardest hitting, and "bounce" the most regardless of their supposed "Higher" penetration values for their guns.

All in all, I don't trust the World of Tanks biased Russian devs. They constantly claim its just in the player's head, but when we play the game more than they do and WE see the imbalancend nature of the game it really gets to you.

Oh, let's not even go into how BADLY Artillery is OverPowered and completely imbalanced in WoT atm either. /shiver

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Yizle

Yeah the russians are imbalanced due to the bias of the devs who are ya russian.

Big suprise, most of the money comes from Russia also. Bigger issue is the fact that this flight game has absolutly nothing to do with real flying! Well no suprise really, WoT  was as close to tank battle as Call of Duty is to real war. Sadly raise of F2P trend means there won't any good realistic war games coming in future. Hopefully Arma3 and IL-2 future versions would bring some MMO features to multiplayer.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Is it just me or does world of Warplanes sound like its going to be a great game??.....I enjoyed world of tanks for het most part, though I spent alot of time just sitting in brush cover.....We wont be able to do that in the air as easily.....I jsut hope they can bring us a fairly well balanced game.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

But Russian WWII tanks were actually superior, so they could get away with it to some degree.

But if you start seeing Yak-9's and Mig-3 kicking around Fw-190's and Ta-152's. That will be a hard pill to swallow.

IL-2 was a great game, but man, those ruskies had no sense of reality when it came to their Russian planes. I totally dominated  in PvP in my little La-5. Yet could'nt even bank hard in my Mustang without going into a full stall. National pride is a bit "overblown" in the minds of many Russians.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

I went Premium on my World of Tanks account when it was released.

I quickly realized how biased the gameplay was towards the Russian line of tanks though, so I stopped putting money into the game.

Now i just play it for sh*ts and giggles while I wait for downloads.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

"WOT is just the most amazing game ever and WoWP will be just as incredulous incredibly! Why it will have more online people concurrently than a real mmo like eve! Thats just absolutely incredibly!

You can jump right into the action and not have to deal with things that would take too much time and money for us to bother with! AMAZING! Fully balanced cash ammo that will give you the edge but don't worry if you don't pay any money you cheap moocher. You can play in the low tiers! Amazing play style fits your tight little wallet!!!!    See all the pointless awards we bought! Shouldn't you play an absolutely amazing game with these increadable awards!? "

That's how the WoT devs sound to me.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by Bunks

But Russian WWII tanks were actually superior, so they could get away with it to some degree.

But if you start seeing Yak-9's and Mig-3 kicking around Fw-190's and Ta-152's. That will be a hard pill to swallow.

IL-2 was a great game, but man, those ruskies had no sense of reality when it came to their Russian planes. I totally dominated  in PvP in my little La-5. Yet could'nt even bank hard in my Mustang without going into a full stall. National pride is a bit "overblown" in the minds of many Russians.

You need to brush up on your history of WWII if you think Russian tanks were superior.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Will World of Planes and World of Tanks be integrated?

Otherwise they have missed a trick if you ask me.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"you'll be able to use microtransactions to purchase premium ammo and camouflages that won't disturb the game balance, as well as enhanced XP and currency buffs."

This quote shows complete misunderstanding of the gameplay.  Sorry guys, premium ammo heavily disturbs the game balance.

If the game plays the same way as WOT, they will bump up what was a very weak Russian airforce to being the best planes in the game.

Germans had by far the best tanks in WWII, while the US had by far the best planes, so this not a historical representation at all.  They also don't even have the British in the game.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

You need to brush up on your history of WWII if you think Russian tanks were superior.

No, YOU need to brush up on YOUR history. When the germans captured their first T-34 tank, they were amazed at how the supposedly inferior Russians had constructed a tank that was superior to what they had at that time. What made the Germans so effective was their use of the radio to coordinate their tactics. The Germans began to pull away at the end of the war, but that was because Hitler insisted on pushing development of expensive, difficult to produce weaponry that was impossible to field effectively. There were German tanks, that while awesome fighting machines on paper, sunk into the ground under their own weight. Not so sure I would call that "superior".

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I love WoT but I do wish that premium ammo was not allowed in regular matches, save it for the clanwars epeen stuff.

Russian tanks taken as a whole, to me at least are not extremely OP.  Some tanks, IS-4 specifically are wayyy strong but IS-4 is getting moved to T10 also.  The TDs do get stronger guns sooner but they have armor that bounces basically nothing.  So if you get found out, you are dead, wheras a Ferdinand, Jagdtiger, T28, T95 do have the armor to stick around fight some more.  Not saying ISU-152 and Obj704 aren't scary though :)

I do think on the Russian/German subject though that the E-75 was given too many soft spots to hit in front and the IS-4 basically has no soft spots.  If any tank line is currenly screwed it is American high tier heavies, but that is changing soon.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Yes, the T-34 was the overall "best tank" of WW2, that is a pretty common opinion across the board.  Really some of the French tanks were better than the German tanks, it is just that Germany mastered the tactics of using armor and that goes a long way.

Imagine handing 10 really advanced rifles to 10 people who have never seen a rifle, give them no training.  Then hand an inferior rifle to some really well trained master rifleman type, watch what happens :P  Tanks are also just tools/machines, so operators make the most difference in their effectiveness, not tech.  Germans used tanks best, especially early on, but that doesn't mean their tanks were best.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A T-34 didn't really have a fair fight against a Tiger, what made the russian tanks so good was that they were a lot faster to produce and many times so easy to learn to handle.

So superior isn't fair, in 1 Vs 1 a German tank was better but it wasn't 1 Vs 1, it was 10 Vs 1 or more. The Germans focused on quality and that does not always win a war (particularly when you have politicians that lay hinders in the way for the generals).

With fighterplanes the problem was that Stalin hated flying and had all his airo engineers locked in in a camp and never really were motivated. As you said, Il-2 was their masterpiece until Korea when they invented they invented the brilliant Mig-15 that suddenly made all US planes look like junk.

I am still very happy with what I read though, they are adding WW1 planes as well, before they talked about WW2 and Korea, but all the really cool planes and amazing pilots were in WW1.

But German planes and pilots were best in both Wars even if French and English were pretty close in WW1. There is a reason that the first 112 pilots with most kills in WW2 were Germans followed by a Fin, and it wasn´t just superior planes but also tactics.

I am happy as long as I get my Albatross DIII. :)

Originally posted by Loke666

A T-34 didn't really have a fair fight against a Tiger, what made the russian tanks so good was that they were a lot faster to produce and many times so easy to learn to handle.

So superior isn't fair, in 1 Vs 1 a German tank was better but it wasn't 1 Vs 1, it was 10 Vs 1 or more. The Germans focused on quality and that does not always win a war (particularly when you have politicians that lay hinders in the way for the generals).

With fighterplanes the problem was that Stalin hated flying and had all his airo engineers locked in in a camp and never really were motivated. As you said, Il-2 was their masterpiece until Korea when they invented they invented the brilliant Mig-15 that suddenly made all US planes look like junk.

I am still very happy with what I read though, they are adding WW1 planes as well, before they talked about WW2 and Korea, but all the really cool planes and amazing pilots were in WW1.

But German planes and pilots were best in both Wars even if French and English were pretty close in WW1. There is a reason that the first 112 pilots with most kills in WW2 were Germans followed by a Fin, and it wasn´t just superior planes but also tactics.

I am happy as long as I get my Albatross DIII. :)

History is one of my expertiese, so I don't need to brush up too much.(not you lokey but the funny guy above)

The T-34 was a medium tank and was an early designed tank.  so it is only fair to compare gun penetration, armor thickness, reliability, production speed ect. of like models and years of production. 42 v 42 and so on. The panther and tiger didn't score its first combat hour till Kursk 43. The T-34 was already in its 3rd revision at that point.

The t-34 was the equal to the Pz-II & Pz-III models. And it was superior in every way. Even the later Panthers & Tigers were inferior to JS-I and JS-II(compared by wieght and year of production).

JS-II was all but immune to the standard 88mm , yet the JS-II 122mm cut through a Panther's armor quite easily.

The main difference between the two sides were tactics and command control. Germany had a far superior C&C over their Russian counterparts.

As for the air wars, yes german pilots were dominating. But watch out for these russian devs, they tend to make their "national" icons more from a fantasy perspective.

If you like DIII, ever try Rise of Flight? Awesom game, and its free if you just want to fly a Spad-XIII

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

The "Tank - tech edge" really leap-froged back and forth between powers through-out the War....and it also really depends on what you are talking about when you talk about "best".

At the start of the War, argueably the French Souma 35 was the "best" overall tank in the field.... but the French only had a fairly small quantity of them...and didn't have the doctrine to take full advantage of them.

The French Char B1 bis and British Matlida's were real monsters on the battlefield. The reason why the German 88's became so fameous was because the Germans HAD to press these AA guns into service in an AT role, as they were the ONLY things they had which could actualy defeat the Char's & Matildas at any range. German panzers had no weaponry that could penetrate these monster. However the Char's and Matildas were also VERY expensive to build and operate and strategicaly very slow....which is one of the factors that played a major role in the Fall of France (When the Allies commited thier reserves to Belgium, they couldn't pull them back quickly enough to react to the Axis advance through Sedan).

At the the start of Barbarossa, the Russian T-34 indeed outclassed anything the Germans fielded too (The older T28 heavy did as well...but it gets less press). However, the Russians had just started replacing thier armor inventory with the new T-34's...initialy they were relatively rare in combat units.... The Germans were mostly facing the older BT-7 & T26's...which while decent enough weapons were definately outmatched by most of the German Armor they faced.

As the T34 and the KV's started appearing in greater and greater frequency in the Russian Lines....the Germans responded with thier own "1 up manship" in armor....in fact the Panther was heavly influnced by the design of the T-34 of which the Germans had examined captured and knocked out models. The initial German response was mostly upgunning & upgrading the PzkwIV's.... the F2 had just started appearing in front line units a few weeks before Barbarossa....some more impprovements were made to the model and it was renamed the G.... it had the ability to engage and defeat T-34's and KV's...but it was outclassed by them.

The main German response to the problems they faced against the newer model Soviet tanks were the Panther & Tiger tanks...appearing late 42- mid 43. These definately outclassed thier Russian opposition once again...on a tank tank basis. On the other hand, they were both more expensive to build and to operate then the Russian armor. Meaning the Russians could afford to field more of these then the Germans could of thier tanks.

The story on the Allied side was even more interesting. US armor doctrine was that tanks were NOT supposed to be primarly engaging enemy armor. That role was delegated to towed AT Guns and later Tank Destroyers...so US tanks weren't designed with the idea of having to take on German Armor..... clearly that doctrine didn't work out....so the US engaged in stop-gap measures to try to make our tanks more competitive against German armor. However it wasn't until the war was basicaly over and the first Pershings appeared on the battle-field that US forces had a tank that was actualy designed with the intent of defeating German armor. However US tanks were easy to build, run and maintain when compared to the more advanced German armor. It was a standard joke (with much turth to it) among German tankers on the West Front... that it took 5 Shermans to take out a single Panther, unfortunately the Allies always seemed to show up with 10....and a couple of P47's to back them up.

In terms of tanks, the Russians definately deserve to be represented well in WoT..... airplanes however, are a different story.... the VVS basicaly got it's teeth handed to it at the start of Barbarossa and really never fully recovered.  The Soviet planes were generaly inferior to thier opposition for the entire war....although they DID improve from the models that they started out with....they never quite caught upto thier opponents. More importantly though, the VVS did NOT play as important a role in the War as did the air arms of most of the other Major Powers. Soviet doctrine actualy emphasized mass produced AA (and artillery) over it's air arm...for both air defence and ground support.

If they are only going to have 3 Tech Tree's represented to start...for WWII, historicaly speaking...they'd be MUCH better off either breaking up the American and British into 2 seperate line....OR adding in the Japanese and the pacific theatre...as all those air arms had far more historical significance in the War then the VVS did.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Played WoT for quite some time, but the imbalance in that game is gamebreaking.

WoP wont be any diffrent so i stick it out untill Planetside 2 comes.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Following up on the previous posts.....as other posters have pointed out,  alot of the success in the Air War was attributable more to pilot skill and experience...

The Russians didn't invest as much in thier pilot training programs as the Germans... more to the point....by the time Barbarossa rolled around.....German Air crews had faced actual combat Experience in Poland, Norway, France, The Battle of Britain, the Balkans and and North Africa..... the Soviets only actual combat experience was limited to the little bit they got during the Winter War....and they hadn't faired particulary well in that. Even if the VVS had had decent planes (and for the most part they didn't).... it wasn't going to be much surprise who came out on top of that combat.

In the West.... the P40 got a horrible reputation.....but it actualy was a very, very good plane (as long as you didn't try to operate it at high altitudes for which it wasn't designed). The reason for the poor reputation was that it was the first US fighter to see significant action on the Western Front.....and most of the US pilots flying it had virtualy no combat experience when compared to thier opposition....so they got beat up hard, and blamed the P40. When the plane was in the hands of pilots who actualy knew how to fly it (such as veterans who had flown it while fighting as voluteers in China under Chennault) it actualy had an excellent combat record.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Why does anyone even care about this game? I mean does anyone have standards anymore?

Seriously, World of WARplanes????

I dont understand this modern day fascination with making something so closely tied to something popular just to get a few extra sales. The game on that merit alone should be unplayable, I dont care if its the best damn flight-shooter out there it just shouldnt even be acknoledged at this point.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

WoW, now we have 2 different WoWs.

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Following up on the previous posts.....as other posters have pointed out,  alot of the success in the Air War was attributable more to pilot skill and experience...

The Russians didn't invest as much in thier pilot training programs as the Germans... more to the point....by the time Barbarossa rolled around.....German Air crews had faced actual combat Experience in Poland, Norway, France, The Battle of Britain, the Balkans and and North Africa..... the Soviets only actual combat experience was limited to the little bit they got during the Winter War....and they hadn't faired particulary well in that. Even if the VVS had had decent planes (and for the most part they didn't).... it wasn't going to be much surprise who came out on top of that combat.

In the West.... the P40 got a horrible reputation.....but it actualy was a very, very good plane (as long as you didn't try to operate it at high altitudes for which it wasn't designed). The reason for the poor reputation was that it was the first US fighter to see significant action on the Western Front.....and most of the US pilots flying it had virtualy no combat experience when compared to thier opposition....so they got beat up hard, and blamed the P40. When the plane was in the hands of pilots who actualy knew how to fly it (such as veterans who had flown it while fighting as voluteers in China under Chennault) it actualy had an excellent combat record.

Good posts, you went into way much more detail than I would have. This forum's technical experience is probably only what they have played in a game.

One gripe though, the P-40 was not really a well designed plane. It wasn't a POS by any stretch and did get a bad rap. But it's success in China was also because the Janapese Air arm in China were not equiped with the best and most talented personel. That was reseved for the IJN naval air arm. And lets face it, the Flying Tigers were the cream of the crop.

The 40 was highly manuverable, but lacking a supercharger, like you said high altitude wasn't it's best feature, most pilots gave it a bad rap for that. It's actually did well 1 v 1 at low altitudes. IMO was on par with the early model Me-109's in a one on one role low altitude fight. Other than that, it was pretty much obsolete by mid-42.

Sad part is this game will never even be close to realistic in any way shape or form. Its pure arcade.