Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera requires 30gb space to finish install...WTF

13»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Phry

i dont know why all the surprise at the client size, comparing to skyrim too, which probably had to be kept small in order for it to work on consoles, but, with PC games there arent such limitations, it wouldnt surprise me that in another 5 years, average installation of a AAA type of game is around 100 gb, HD space is cheap after all, and drives are now often sized by the TB. image

Actually your bigger problem will be your internet speed, not the hard drive size. Although at some point we could have cloud gaming I suppose.

Originally posted by Lukain

My LOTRO which is up to date 15 16gig  but it has multible expansions , 30gig is either poor programing or ever word on the game is spoken with full speach .

I love LOTRO, but the quality of the charactes is dreadful and the quality of the textures is bad when looked up and close. They do have probably the best visual world designers in the market though. Still, zooming all the way in and looking stellar still comes with a cost in hard drive space, a space that is cheap nowadays.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Sovrath

My install with patch is 23.9 gb.

With full lv60 content the client will be around 34-35gb (as viewed from my Ktera client).

You sure that you don't have a ton of screenshots saved? When you hit "prntscreen" TERA saves a .png(large image file) screenshot in a folder located in the general TERA folder.

I had heard the client would only be 30gigs or so on launch, 35 seems pretty huge.

I must admit I might have a few screenshots <blushes>,  forgot to factor that in.  Just checked my folder and I have 667mb of screenshots ^^  but what I did not expect was that I also downloaded C9 and that goes into the same Hangame folder as tera. So I actually have around 30gb for the tera folder.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by m0lly

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by m0lly

oh my god!!1

games grow bigger , exceptions are higher and technology evolve and SO is size of a game.

you as gamer shouldnt have small hardrives now anyways everyone mostly have 1TB atleast 

so whats the problem really? just another tearless cry around one game.

huzzzzzahh!

umm ..  SSDs are still pretty small. So, having huge games to be able to run faster off SSD could be an issue. Do people even think before responding to criticism anymore?

no, its the style of this forum. and yet ssd's were not what op was saying only size.

The bigger the files = slower read speed on HDs. So, either or, it can still be a problem.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Phry

i dont know why all the surprise at the client size, comparing to skyrim too, which probably had to be kept small in order for it to work on consoles, but, with PC games there arent such limitations, it wouldnt surprise me that in another 5 years, average installation of a AAA type of game is around 100 gb, HD space is cheap after all, and drives are now often sized by the TB. image

Actually your bigger problem will be your internet speed, not the hard drive size. Although at some point we could have cloud gaming I suppose.

There are load time elements in online games as well that would effect performance. Loading and displaying textures, models and certain skill effects can be effected by reading files on your PC faster. I've noticed when playing TERA and watching Youtube videos that the texture load is delayed slightly which can be kind of annoying. File size on HD's might be the reason for this on some systems.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Originally posted by Kyleran

I don't know about how big it is, but have been downloading it for several hours now and it seems to just be going slower and slower. Rioght now it says it will take 2d 9h to install, so at this rate the beta this weekend will be over before its done.

And no, I don't have bad internet, Verizon FIOS 20/5 connection, guess everyone is just trying to get it installed tonight before the beta begins.

Well, perhaps it will speed up later as the evening goes on, we'll see in the morning.

Go to launcher setting and turn off P2P sharing and make sure you are not being capped.

LOL, so I got up this morning and was at 21% and said it would take 7 days to complete the download.  So I took your advice, turned off the P2P sharing and it immediately dropped down to 2 hrs 45 min.

Thank you for the tip.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

can someone tell me exactly how much is downloaded, not the full 25 gigabytes that installs???

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by eycel

can someone tell me exactly how much is downloaded, not the full 25 gigabytes that installs???

After installation and patching my TERA folder is 23.6GB, so I am guessing that is how much you actually have to download.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Ok...in all my gaming years, i've never....even conceieved of one SINGLE game taking up so much goddamn space. I can't remember how much WoW took up, but it was not just one single game. It was a game, + 3 expansions(i stopped at wotlk).

Hell not even SKYRIM takes up 10gig, so what the HELL. This game is still in freaking beta, not even after-release patches/updates/expansions, and its already taking 30gigs? Am i really the only one freaking out over this?

Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game. I can easily fit it on my 2tb drive but fuck, i wanted all my games to go on my ssd and before this i had no problem. Sure i had to delete a game i hadnt played in 3 weeks to install skyrim, but hey, no big deal.

After clearing everything i could without breaking shit, i still need almost 20 freaking gigs to install this crap. Thats insane.

ya not supposed to be trying to install it on your fukin iphone you twonk!! Stop being such a NoOb.  Those gorgeous visuals aint stored in your bathroom cabinet!

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Ok...in all my gaming years, i've never....even conceieved of one SINGLE game taking up so much goddamn space. I can't remember how much WoW took up, but it was not just one single game. It was a game, + 3 expansions(i stopped at wotlk).

Hell not even SKYRIM takes up 10gig, so what the HELL. This game is still in freaking beta, not even after-release patches/updates/expansions, and its already taking 30gigs? Am i really the only one freaking out over this?

Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game. I can easily fit it on my 2tb drive but fuck, i wanted all my games to go on my ssd and before this i had no problem. Sure i had to delete a game i hadnt played in 3 weeks to install skyrim, but hey, no big deal.

After clearing everything i could without breaking shit, i still need almost 20 freaking gigs to install this crap. Thats insane.

Age of Conan and SWTOR are both over 20 gigs. I remember Vanguard being 26 gigs aswell or thereabouts.

Tera has a LOT of high-res stuff - More than any other MMO out there (more than AoC i daresay), and that simply takes up room. That said, 30 gigs is nothing anymore.

And a comment: There is absolutely 0 reason to install games on an SSD apart from a slightly faster initial loading time. There is 0 performance difference ingame between an SSD and a normal HD. Your SSD, especially such a small one, should only be used for your OS (Windows) and essential applications. Always try and keep 30-40% free so the performance doesn't degrade.

64GB SSD's are SMALL AS HELL. I'd avoid SSD's under 120 gigs tbh in the future. A typical Windows 7 install will use about 40-50 gigs depending on how much ram you have and what features you're using (system restore, sleep mode).

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

My Tera folder is 45Gb for some reason. After I uninstalled the old beta client looks like it didn't remove the big files. I have redownloaded and now installing it again and its 45GB... I wish I knew what to delete from there.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by reanor

My Tera folder is 45Gb for some reason. After I uninstalled the old beta client looks like it didn't remove the big files. I have redownloaded and now installing it again and its 45GB... I wish I knew what to delete from there.

My folder is the same size, it's because the installer takes up a good chunk of space.  Try removing the installer to free up space.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Edit: Ultra-delayed double post. Yay me!

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• NolandCNolandC Member UncommonPosts: 4

Lol, it's just 30gigs, most computers are sold now with at least 500gigs or so of space, mine personally came with 2tb hard drive and it's not that expensive.

Games are big nowadays...why is this so shocking to you?

When your bandwidth is caped at 80-100gbs each month 30gbs is a huge deal. 

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    TERA is actually just about 26 GB.  The big issue many people often run into is . . . .the Screenshots folder.  That sucker can grow like an out of control tumor if you like taking pictures everywhere.   I've reached 35GB and wondered what was up until realizing everything past 26GB was screenshots.  I regularly edit the folder by cutting out the fat and backing out the faves to a separate HDD.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    A good necro, but a necro nonetheless.  BACK TO THE DEPTHS WITH YOU!
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Hmm just had to look at my own game list and at the moment Hitman3 hit's the highest spot with 23,3gb for a singleplayer game. SWtOR takes a 2nd place with 20,4gb, my other "bigger"games (currently 37 installed) are mostly between 5 and 18gb and then I have the 500mb till 5gb games.

So to be honost not sure why you freak out that much? of course understand if your have limited hd space and perhaps due to me being a gamer for such a long time I already know I need allot of hd room for my games cause I don't often unistall, unless it's really a bad game.

Just an idea but perhaps you need if possible a bigger HD?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    The thread is a year old. Please post a new thread instead of necroing old ones. The info may have changed in the meantime or otherwise not be relevant.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.