Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

keeps getting better

I still play and love the game, the power levelers have skipped the content and bailed and they still dont have a cheesy cash shop ingame.

Win

Comments

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

yeah this game is ok .  But the voice chat gets old fast .  Basically go to point A and kill X or get Y .

It gets old fast to the point you just want to spacebar through the voice chat to get the quest underway . Which consists of a large amount of travelling from point A to B .

Getting groups for operations can be quite time consuming , I combat that by making 8 characters at once so I can fill any role needed .

PvP seems to suck but I havent done much so maybe it grows on people .

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

PVP is casual not for the hardcore PVP crowd its fun to fill time inbetween raids.  I  find the game to be fun and I enjoy pvping with guildmates.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Most people have bailed you mean... and good try on the pun for gw2 ;)

..Cake..

• yumpinyiminiyumpinyimini Member UncommonPosts: 81

Yeah I'm enjoying the game as well..it has it's shortcomings but overall it's entertaining.  Would like to see them work on introducing a wider variety of races/classes to the game.  Bioware needs to take the leash off of space travel/combat.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

To each his own my friend.

I am playing the game as well. The game isn't perfect though and far from it.

I've noticed that some of the voice overs were a bit cheaply done. With the same responces over and over in some of the conversations. It's inconcievable to me that they spent 300 - 500 million making this game though. I would assume it was all the voice actors they had to hire, because the rest of the game is a carbon copy of WoW with a few tweaks to crafting. Although I don't mind the game. I think alot of gamers are tired of playing the wow formula over and over again, and if you can't see that this is a clone you either must of not played wow, or are a total bioware fanboi. Thats just me though :)

The game for me is a good time waster for me, but I think I'll be checking out Archage because I'de rather play something a little differn't. Not to say it's a bad game because its not. It's just that it could of been alot better.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by trash656

It's inconcievable to me that they spent 300 - 500 million making this game though.

That's because they didn't.  The official number is 200 million.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/the-force-is-with-swtor-ea-stock-bounces-back-budget-revealed/

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

They could have made four AAA mmorpgs with that money instead of that single player game with coop. The funny bit about the OPs pun against GW2 is that SW:TOR multiplayer resembles closer GW1, which is kind of sad considering the costs involved and the prices of admission asked.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

until they fix the grouping issues, then i don't really see how the game could improve, it is supposed to be a MMO after all, without some kind of credible grouping tools, it just doesnt cut it.image

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by trash656

I am playing the game as well. The game isn't perfect though and far from it.

I've noticed that some of the voice overs were a bit cheaply done. With the same responces over and over in some of the conversations. It's inconcievable to me that they spent 300 - 500 million making this game though. I would assume it was all the voice actors they had to hire, because the rest of the game is a carbon copy of WoW with a few tweaks to crafting. Although I don't mind the game. I think alot of gamers are tired of playing the wow formula over and over again, and if you can't see that this is a clone you either must of not played wow, or are a total bioware fanboi. Thats just me though :)

The game for me is a good time waster for me, but I think I'll be checking out Archage because I'de rather play something a little differn't. Not to say it's a bad game because its not. It's just that it could of been alot better.

Just a minor detail but the list you posted there, I can find the same list using an even older mmo then WoW.

Originally posted by Phry

until they fix the grouping issues, then i don't really see how the game could improve, it is supposed to be a MMO after all, without some kind of credible grouping tools, it just doesnt cut it.image

There's a group finder coming in 1.3 I think or sooner and probably cross server pvp after 1.2.   The game isn't great I just think people expected way too much out of it and cant accept its not for them so they have to bash it over and over.   Whoever though this game would be a great PVP game is wrong it a themepark MMO that worries about PVE more and thats been obvious for over 3 years. [Mod Edit]

Originally posted by William12

There's a group finder coming in 1.3 I think or sooner and probably cross server pvp after 1.2.   The game isn't great I just think people expected way too much out of it and cant accept its not for them so they have to bash it over and over. Whoever though this game would be a great PVP game is wrong it a themepark MMO that worries about PVE more and thats been obvious for over 3 years. [Mod Edit]

although i have zero interest in the PVP, other games do it much better after all, if they do introduce a proper group finding tool to the game then i will probably be resubbing, my biggest complaint was the time it took to find a group to do anything - you could easily spend an hour in fleet and not manage to get a group. image

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Game is good and with a lot of potential. I t will keep growing.

There's a group finder coming in 1.3 I think or sooner and probably cross server pvp after 1.2.   The game isn't great I just think people expected way too much out of it and cant accept its not for them so they have to bash it over and over.  Whoever though this game would be a great PVP game is wrong it a themepark MMO that worries about PVE more and thats been obvious for over 3 years. [Mod Edit]

although i have zero interest in the PVP, other games do it much better after all, if they do introduce a proper group finding tool to the game then i will probably be resubbing, my biggest complaint was the time it took to find a group to do anything - you could easily spend an hour in fleet and not manage to get a group. image

Yah why games keep releasing without this basic tool is beyond me time and time again they say nope not happening 3 months later they add it why wait if you're just gonna add it later.

There's a group finder coming in 1.3 I think or sooner and probably cross server pvp after 1.2.   The game isn't great I just think people expected way too much out of it and cant accept its not for them so they have to bash it over and over.  Whoever though this game would be a great PVP game is wrong it a themepark MMO that worries about PVE more and thats been obvious for over 3 years. [Mod Edit]

Yah why games keep releasing without this basic tool is beyond me time and time again they say nope not happening 3 months later they add it why wait if you're just gonna add it later.

true, the fleet hubs imo, were a nonsensical idea, having to wait there to do flashpoints is a needless time sink, that often ends in frustration if you can't get people to do them, having a cross server 'dungeon tool' would have made far more sense,  im okay on going to the quest givers in fleet to pick up the flashpoint quests from the consoles, but its a pain to have to stay there and spam for hours on end trying to get others to do them too, and when there are only like 40 or 50 other people in fleet and only 2 of them are within 10 levels of you.. it becomes an object lesson in frustration. Games have evolved, WoW, which SW;TOR is often likened to, has these basic tools. All i can think of, is why didnt Bioware see this as becoming an issue? The game is an MMO after all, grouping is a basic function of MMO's, or should be. I can see the appeal of allowing players to do so much solo, but that shouldnt be the mainstay of the game image

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Who are you trying to convince? The people who are justifyably disappointed about one of the most hyped games of all time or yourself?

There's a group finder coming in 1.3 I think or sooner and probably cross server pvp after 1.2.   The game isn't great I just think people expected way too much out of it and cant accept its not for them so they have to bash it over and over.   Whoever though this game would be a great PVP game is wrong it a themepark MMO that worries about PVE more and thats been obvious for over 3 years. [Mod Edit]

true, the fleet hubs imo, were a nonsensical idea, having to wait there to do flashpoints is a needless time sink, that often ends in frustration if you can't get people to do them, having a cross server 'dungeon tool' would have made far more sense,  im okay on going to the quest givers in fleet to pick up the flashpoint quests from the consoles, but its a pain to have to stay there and spam for hours on end trying to get others to do them too, and when there are only like 40 or 50 other people in fleet and only 2 of them are within 10 levels of you.. it becomes an object lesson in frustration. Games have evolved, WoW, which SW;TOR is often likened to, has these basic tools. All i can think of, is why didnt Bioware see this as becoming an issue? The game is an MMO after all, grouping is a basic function of MMO's, or should be. I can see the appeal of allowing players to do so much solo, but that shouldnt be the mainstay of the game image

WoW wasnt released with an functional LFG tool either.

Anyway techniclaly speaking there is a lfg system, you can toggle LFG and when people use the search option people withing the zone or what ever their search entry is will have LFG behind their names on the search list.

They probebly expected this to be enough AND to pick one of the most recent games that was released without as an excample.. when games anounce they are adding it the forums ussually end up being flooded with how the LFG tool destroys communities.

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Who are you trying to convince? The people who are justifyably disappointed about one of the most hyped games of all time or yourself?

Any hype is their own fault.  We allow ourselfs to be excited about a game before its even out and most of the time our expectations are so high no game can live up to it and guild wars 2 will be the next in line people are already calling it the best MMO ever and its not even out.

This may come as a shock to you but there are plenty of people who are justifyable enjoying the game. So my question to you is who are you trying to convince? The people who justifyable enjoy the game of yourself for letting yourself get all hyped up about Lucas(arts) next project.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Paithan

This may come as a shock to you but there are plenty of people who are justifyable enjoying the game. So my question to you is who are you trying to convince? The people who justifyable enjoy the game of yourself for letting yourself get all hyped up about Lucas(arts) next project.

Hey, not shocked at all, I enjoyed it myself whilst I was playing, very polished and shiny. It fell far short of what I expected but que sera sera. I just don't fully understand the point of a thread that seems to be either attempting to positively reinforce something that should be intuitively obvious to those who like it or inviting of negative comments from those who don't. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Of course there is, the real problem here is that it is a hybrid between a MMO and a single player game and many of the MMO fans isn't too happy about that.

And even my friends who play it right now are a bit upset about some parts, particularly the PvP. They still enjoy it enough to play it but I think the game needs more work to be what it should be.

I really don't see why people are so updet about it though. Anyone checking up the game beforehand should have seen the gameplay it offers and people probably should have assumed that it will take a while for Bioware to make their first real PvP (besides a little in nwn) just right. Good PvP takes a lot of experience to get right but hopefully they will continue to improve it until it gets good enough.

Not all games could or should be made for you personally. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

I still play and love the game, the power levelers have skipped the content and bailed and they still dont have a cheesy cash shop ingame.
    Win

But they do charge a sub for what is basically a glorified single player RPG.

Lose

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Hey, not shocked at all, I enjoyed it myself whilst I was playing, very polished and shiny. It fell far short of what I expected but que sera sera. I just don't fully understand the point of a thread that seems to be either attempting to positively reinforce something that should be intuitively obvious to those who like it or inviting of negative comments from those who don't. 

I think a good amounth of people genuine enjoy the game to a point they want to share it, a good amounth of people who DO enjoy the game but truely dont see why people feel the need to constantly bash it and ofcourse the fanboi.

I think its a decent game, I have my own huge list of gripes and disapointments, though I got painfully accurate what I expected from Lucas(art) and especially after the more recent games.. bioware.

Personally I dont try to defend the game, even though at times it may seem that way, but I dont feel the need myself to bash it either.

I think the big bang theory was bang on accurate when Will Weathon said to sheldon, "it just means Im living rent free in your head" after sheldon explained and illustrated his ongoing vendeta against him.

Heck I posted (as a reply) my own mocking blows towards the game.

Like this: this is what most.. disapointed players got when they bought the game :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLmetB5Sbo

And this one to make fun of the conversation system :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zome9da0YE

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by sgel

Most people have bailed you mean... and good try on the pun for gw2 ;)

How dare someone flame my baby GW2 even though i spent good portion of my posting history flaming SWTOR. Guess it is time... pot is finally calling kettle back.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Only thing that upsets me is that the Developers didn't have basic, necessary tools in from the get-go, such as:

No Test-server with full character-copy facility (it's coming but it should have been there pre-launch)

No server-transfer (this should absolutely have been in at launch, even if not activated for a week or two - not having it in shows just how out of touch with the modern MMO audience they are, "game-hoppers" number in the tens of thousands & they jump ship an awful lot, this leads to big queues one week & almost empty servers a week or two after, this screws over the population that intends to play long term & ultimately leads to unnecessary sub-losses that could oh so easily have been mitigated by transfer system)

A more fleshed-out endgame (it's a known factor that they designed the game around alt-play, that the levelling curve was smooth & relatively quick, why then were they so surprised to see so many level 50's so quickly & why have such a severely limited amount of end-game content? They failed to account for a hardcore raider audience at all, who geared up whole guilds in 2-3 weeks as the content was reasonably easy & dropped a lot of loot, Nightmare dropping the same loot as Hard was a big faux pas. Most of the raider guilds I know from prior games got bored really fast & left in droves already)

I think they wasted money on voicing every single quest, just the class quests would have been plenty, if there were similar "over - arching" questlines those too perhaps, but having ALL quests voiced ended up with a cookie cutter canned response to far too many side-quests & that eventually gets so boring. It's a bit like WAR & public quests, it was a great idea but they Over-used it, similarly with voice-acting, it's great to be used on content that it really adds something to, but if you over-use a great idea you devalue it, you undermine it's relavancy, developers still haven't learnt the median of context in this regard, fabulous ideas are all well and good but they don't fit every situation & recognising where they fit & where they don't is a fine art, it differentiates the good from the amazing. Turkey is incredibly delicious, but buy too big a Turkey & be eating Turkey every day & it starts tasting like cardboard, it's the same principle.

For 200 million I think the game falls short of a good investment, good dollars have been squandered on bad implimentations.

I'm still playing because I do enjoy the game, I'm still having fun, BUT Patch 1.2 's class-balance will kill the game for healers if the changes are not balanced by alterations to the game-mechanics, full Rakata geared healers struggling & NOT being able to cover damage from bloody normal-mode operations is obviously saying something is badly wrong with the approach BioWare is taking to making content more difficult by gimping healers, hopefully they are getting testing done on all the content & the levelling-up process as a healer too otherwise they will basically screw the healers over if the changes go through as is.

I have even moved server & re-rolled, because my original server has a population in freefall, maybe later I can transfer my other characters over to an actual populated server (only 1 PvE & 1 PvP is showing heavy or very heavy on the EU side) they need to address the falling server populations and fast if they don't want to lose people even faster, most will not be prepared to reroll like I have and will just plain quit.

Originally posted by Skuz

Only thing that upsets me is that the Developers didn't have basic, necessary tools in from the get-go, such as:

No Test-server with full character-copy facility (it's coming but it should have been there pre-launch)

No server-transfer (this should absolutely have been in at launch, even if not activated for a week or two - not having it in shows just how out of touch with the modern MMO audience they are, "game-hoppers" number in the tens of thousands & they jump ship an awful lot, this leads to big queues one week & almost empty servers a week or two after, this screws over the population that intends to play long term & ultimately leads to unnecessary sub-losses that could oh so easily have been mitigated by transfer system)

A more fleshed-out endgame (it's a known factor that they designed the game around alt-play, that the levelling curve was smooth & relatively quick, why then were they so surprised to see so many level 50's so quickly & why have such a severely limited amount of end-game content? They failed to account for a hardcore raider audience at all, who geared up whole guilds in 2-3 weeks as the content was reasonably easy & dropped a lot of loot, Nightmare dropping the same loot as Hard was a big faux pas. Most of the raider guilds I know from prior games got bored really fast & left in droves already)

I think they wasted money on voicing every single quest, just the class quests would have been plenty, if there were similar "over - arching" questlines those too perhaps, but having ALL quests voiced ended up with a cookie cutter canned response to far too many side-quests & that eventually gets so boring. It's a bit like WAR & public quests, it was a great idea but they Over-used it, similarly with voice-acting, it's great to be used on content that it really adds something to, but if you over-use a great idea you devalue it, you undermine it's relavancy, developers still haven't learnt the median of context in this regard, fabulous ideas are all well and good but they don't fit every situation & recognising where they fit & where they don't is a fine art, it differentiates the good from the amazing. Turkey is incredibly delicious, but buy too big a Turkey & be eating Turkey every day & it starts tasting like cardboard, it's the same principle.

For 200 million I think the game falls short of a good investment, good dollars have been squandered on bad implimentations.

I'm still playing because I do enjoy the game, I'm still having fun, BUT Patch 1.2 's class-balance will kill the game for healers if the changes are not balanced by alterations to the game-mechanics, full Rakata geared healers struggling & NOT being able to cover damage from bloody normal-mode operations is obviously saying something is badly wrong with the approach BioWare is taking to making content more difficult by gimping healers, hopefully they are getting testing done on all the content & the levelling-up process as a healer too otherwise they will basically screw the healers over if the changes go through as is.

I have even moved server & re-rolled, because my original server has a population in freefall, maybe later I can transfer my other characters over to an actual populated server (only 1 PvE & 1 PvP is showing heavy or very heavy on the EU side) they need to address the falling server populations and fast if they don't want to lose people even faster, most will not be prepared to reroll like I have and will just plain quit.

I agree I took a look on the test server myself and the first feel is that it isnt as bad as it seems. On the other hand it also feels it isnt really adressing the class issues either. Look at cmd/bh healing, Im pretty sure they are hardly used to heal hm fps and ops because they are so OP.

Im on a decent populated server myself so right now I dont feel the need to have them just yet, but I can see how some servers definately would benifid from it, I saw this on Rift, they avoided having to merge shortly after launch by offering free transfers.

End game raiding, you are right, its WOTLK all over again, there just isnt enough. Imo they could have avoided some of it because they way gear is aquired. The Tionese grade gear is pointless, you rarely see anyone use it at all, IMO this should have been the reward from HM fps, getting Columi from both hm FPS and reg ops is a flawed design. Rakata is probebly the only grade thats where it should be.

That isnt even bringing up the buggy nature of every single encounter in ops. Sure encounters are beateble but there still are too many.

You are right, they went waay overboard on the voice acting, while in many ways it does bring immersion, it also removes it. It works against replayebility and when the story stops it definately brings a.. the game stops feel to it, not to mention the anoyace lvl coming paired with it when running dailies and hm dps. They definately spent too much time and money on this, which could have been used elsewhere.