Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

Comments

• mxishmxish Member Posts: 31

you make mmos 50$ a month and the only thing that will change is bobby kotick making 50 mil a year instead of 14.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

For a full on AAA graphics world simulator... I'd certainly be willing to if it did all I wanted. That's not going to happen though.  What I won't pay a monthly fee for is a single player game with multiplayer.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

From '03 - '06 I was maintaining 11 subs, one or two at $25 (Sony Station Pass).  But since then I keep it at one or two a month.  I think he level of polish you speak of is what ALL games that expect to earn $15 / per month must achieve, and if they don't they won't.  No a company doesn't deserve more for accomplishing the expected.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Originally posted by Paradigm68

For a full on AAA graphics world simulator... I'd certainly be willing to if it did all I wanted. That's not going to happen though.  What I won't pay a monthly fee for is a single player game with multiplayer.

-Totally agree. For a "World" $50.00 (with NO CA$H $HOP) would be a bargain. But it would have to be a fully realized "World".

MMOs used to be a bargain. $15/month ( or less) covered all my Gaming needs. The current crop of single player "lobby " type MMOs  (Quest Grinders) doesnt appeal to me at all.  I am back to spending bout $100/month on single player games and enjoying a Nwn persistant world for my "online fix". Real single player games (not MMO  single player games-) are far better than this mutiplayer Garbage with a sub fee and cash shop.

So yes, I would gladly pay $50/month for a virtual World to adventure in, explore and make a name for myself.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

If the bar were set as a game that every user on this site could agree was a 10/10, then tempting...but really, if it were that good, I'd end up playing it more then I should, sleeping less then I should, and probably eating worse then I should. I'd say that $50/mo game would end up costing me a lot more then the sticker indicates....

Joking aside..$50/mo...no...

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

In a heartbeat! No cash shop, no expansion buying, GREAT customer service and development teams (yes, plural) that stick true to their vision, and superior gameplay.

Good luck finding such a game...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

i would pay it if i get monthly supplies of beer, food, naked girls just for my pleasure, and other videogames while my subscription is active. Otherwise You must be smoking something, pal... and i want some

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

In a heartbeat! No cash shop, no expansion buying, GREAT customer service and development teams (yes, plural) that stick true to their vision, and superior gameplay.

Good luck finding such a game...

sorry to burst your bubble but even that isnt worth 50 a month.....

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by dimasok
    I dont even pay $14 a month for an MMO, let alone $50... GW2 is getting the $60-70 from me for sure and if I decide to use the cash shop as well then so be it, but I am not paying monthly. PERIOD.

Seriously. I put no cash into City of Heroes,League of Legends, and a few similar titles; maybe 20 bucks every 4-5 months for LotRO to get in my WoW-clone fix. I don't see the point in paying 45 bucks every 3 months for a game that offers nothing more than those.

If Guild Wars even provides a minor improvement over the current plethora of crap I'll be happy with B2P.

50 bucks for what the majority of soloist, whiner, care bear, idiot, fucking, casuals would want?

Never.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yes.

If it is everything I am looking for and such...

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by rojo6934

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

i would pay it if i get monthly supplies of beer, food, naked girls just for my pleasure, and other videogames while my subscription is active. Otherwise You must be smoking something, pal... and i want some

+1. Send me some too

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Yes for virtual reality game from future. Sure not for normal mmo

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Yes i would, i pay much more to augment my actual world, such as:

Nights out/Beer
    Own a Greyhound
    Own a Racehorse
    Gambling on said animals

$50 would pay for itself in one friday night. As such, i would pay $100 for something like Archeage, it would still save me a fortune.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" No " I bought 3 Lifetime Subscription Games all went F2p. Ive seen the Light !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i would not pay 50$ a month the the quality of service and content that is standard now days.   I would pay 50$ a month for substancely higher service and content.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Kenze

i would not pay 50$ a month the the quality of service and content that is standard now days.   I would pay 50$ a month for substancely higher service and content.

Seconded.

What is out now, is not worth 50 USD/Month.

I would pay that for a quality product though. Also because it would make the game community free of these modern F2P dipwit kids.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Eluwien

Originally posted by Kenze

Seconded.

What is out now, is not worth 50 USD/Month.

I would pay that for a quality product though. Also because it would make the game community free of these modern F2P dipwit kids.

er "thirded".

It would have to be a significant paradigm shift to be worth that much money.

There is a movie theater a few towns away that charges a premium for their service. Essentially, you pay double what a regular ticket would be and you get large roomy seats, unlimited soda and popcorn, there is a restaurant there and It's adults only (no people under 18).

If it was closer I would be there for every movie I see. Most people would not subject themselves to that type of experience for that type of money so that also acts as a filter.

And again, if people are paying for several mmo's then they are already paying close to that $50 per month. Just two mmo's and you are paying $32 for a varied mmo experience.

How many actually have cable? Or sattelite? Just to watch TV. And if you are watching movies then it's possible you are paying extra just for that.

It's clear that people are willing to pay more for better services, what is left is what those services are in relation to what they get now.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by agnostic4eve

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by agnostic4eve

Sheep are sheep, even if those sheep claim to be blacker than most, they are still in fact...sheep.

And in this day and age, when everyone claims to be a black sheep, that in fact becomes the norm and once again they are placed back into the herd of sheep.

Stop being sheep people, even when you think you aren't, you still are...

By offering the idea that companies can take more money from you, you are offering up the idea that they are able to take more money, stop that!

Here Mr. Capitalist company, I am fine with giving you more money, why you ask? Well, because I just want to!

well, that's great. I'll introduce you to my friends who think that any paying for video games is a comple waste of money and that every time you are playing a video game you could actually be doing something else that is far better.

Some of them might even roll their eyes and say that you and I are "sheep" for playing these games.

All of this has to be put into perspective. For instance, are you the type of person who might have more than one subscritption? Let's say you have three. I know for  myself I could have three going at once.

well, add that up at 15.99 per month and that's just about that 50.00.

And if that 50.00 game was actually so incredible, had the greatest customer service, had live events all the time, etc. then spending that 50.00 in one place instead of spending it over several games might be worth it.

Still, when i say "incredible game" I'm talking about the game in my head. No mmo has ever come close.

Then write a bible for the game, maybe a few short stories which show case what this game is and how the world in the game is run and how the societies work. I'm not sure about the format for submitting to game companies, as I have never done it. But if it's anything like novels or scripts it just involves a manuscript which makes people want to continue to read it. While much harder than it sounds, after you get the hang of it, it's rather easily done.

Submit it to a few agencies or companies and hey, you never know, you may end up as the next big thing in MMO writing. This genre needs a rockstar writer, maybe that person is you, you never know.

BLINK! You just gave me an interesting  idea for an mmo game concept.  The Old Testament, would be tricky to pull off without offending someone, but could be a crazy good game if done right.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by arctarus

Never! Its way too expensive. And with games gog f2p ot b2p, I believe we will never see the monthly sub goes beyond $15 anymore.

Same here. $50 a month is waaay too much. I'm struggling with $15 at the moment.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

There are a lot of posts that say 'for sure yes' and a lot that say 'for sure no'. I am a member of the 'for sure yes' and I want to clarify my position so its fully understood.

I am looking at opportunity cost. With $50 a MONTH what ELSE can I do other than play a MMO. At least for me $50 isnt going to get me much fun for my money outside of gaming to be completely frank.

1. cost of a cell phone bill without a dataplan

2. ONE night out A MONTH if I am careful.

Also, for me I am talking about all you ever wanted from an MMO. Lets say for example, a huge (i mean crazy huge) modern day setting, with content on every corner, all in directX 11 with actually good graphic use of it, complex crafting and maybe even just maybe yes, virtual reality glasses and gloves.

whatever the content is the baseline would be this: 'comparing said game to any other MMO currently out would be a hysterical joke',

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by ForumPvP

i would pay 50 € right now for a month in Anarchy Online before cash shops and dailys and all this next-gen god mode crap.

lol..

I hear you. Pay more to bring the good stuff back please. some of it could just use a new coat of paint and that is it

hehee, i had 4 accounts active on this game and it was more than 50€ per month,game was stunning and everything back then,could be still but they joined dark side of the force  ,which is sad,sad for gamers and sad for the genre.

Let's internet

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

No.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

No, because that game you describe will never be made.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Nope!  $50 a month is a bit going overboard, it better come with a personal servant to cook, clean, and goto work for me.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.