Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera requires 30gb space to finish install...WTF

SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Ok...in all my gaming years, i've never....even conceieved of one SINGLE game taking up so much goddamn space. I can't remember how much WoW took up, but it was not just one single game. It was a game, + 3 expansions(i stopped at wotlk).

Hell not even SKYRIM takes up 10gig, so what the HELL. This game is still in freaking beta, not even after-release patches/updates/expansions, and its already taking 30gigs? Am i really the only one freaking out over this?

Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game. I can easily fit it on my 2tb drive but fuck, i wanted all my games to go on my ssd and before this i had no problem. Sure i had to delete a game i hadnt played in 3 weeks to install skyrim, but hey, no big deal.

After clearing everything i could without breaking shit, i still need almost 20 freaking gigs to install this crap. Thats insane.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comments

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I'm not sure what games you usually play, but 30gig isn't unusual.  Take a look at the installed size of Age of Conan, Lotro, even WoW these days.  You're not going to be able to keep many on a 64 gig drive.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

And its not even worth the space it takes up.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Age of Conan was also around that size in beta, alot of games are very huge in file size during beta and become alot smaller when it launches, but it might still be a huge game at release.

Im sure ive played a few other games with very big size.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• kileakkileak Member Posts: 31

the final install is around 25 gigs. the problem is with how the game installs... it downloads basically the whole game in an archive type format which is around 20 or so gigs in how ever many parts like 20-30 parts then once it has all of that on your hd it then extracts IE installs the game properly onto the hd so to install the whole game for the first time from a downloaded source it needs roughly twice the disk space. once it finishes the install it deletes the archive and free's up alot of space. so yes to install you need like 50-60 gigs free once installed it's around 25 gigs.

if you installed from dvd you would not have the issue as the archive is on the disk. not the most efficient method but it works and hd storage is cheap unless your using a ssd and trying to cram every game you play on one.

• stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

Dude, how do you think I felt when I had to upgrade my 5 year old computer I built for Warhammer Online just to play TERA?

I had a q6600 quad core overclocked to 3.0 ghz.  Back then I never thought in a million freaking years MMORPG's would become so CPU intensive that a quad core 3.0ghz wouldn't cut it.  But TERA had my CPU bottlenecking me down to 15 FPS when I would fight those groups of mobs with 1 big boss and 10 little goomba type guys.  I have two GTX460's.  But I ended up buying and building a new computer with new mobo/cpu/ram and it cured the FPS issues with TERA.

I don't know what happened in the coding of games but they are rediculously more CPU intensive, and the textures are so high res now that yes its 30 gigs.  I know how expensive SSD's are so I feel your pain.  But I guess we must just learn our lesson from this.  No matter how capped out technology may seem, it will still get better.

5 years ago I thought 4.0ghz was the physical limit to CPU's.  So I was content with a quad core at 3.0ghz.  Now there are i5's and i7's up at 5.0ghz.  I guess nothing is set in stone.

--------------------------

In regards to your problem, the game takes that much space because of the highest res textures.  If you put the game on texture setting "1" out of 0/1/2 you're game shouldn't use any of the highest res textures.  Since this is the case, you could possibly petition En Masse to create a low gig installation that excludes the highest res textures.

I am assuming there is more than one texture size in the game files, and the "medium" and "low" texutres arent just GPU mipmap'd miniature versions of the main textures.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Of all the things to complain about... Like everyone else said AoC was like that in 2008, and I believe VG:SOH is massive as well.  Get used to it or stop playing MMOs. 

Originally posted by stormseekaz

Dude, how do you think I felt when I had to upgrade my 5 year old computer I built for Warhammer Online just to play TERA?

I had a q6600 quad core overclocked to 3.0 ghz.  Back then I never thought in a million freaking years MMORPG's would become so CPU intensive that a quad core 3.0ghz wouldn't cut it.  But TERA had my CPU bottlenecking me down to 15 FPS when I would fight those groups of mobs with 1 big boss and 10 little goomba type guys.  I have two GTX460's.  But I ended up buying and building a new computer with new mobo/cpu/ram and it cured the FPS issues with TERA.

yea tera is kinda scary on it's cpu req's probably has to do with asian markets being behind in gpu power for the avg user. most games from the asian market put alot more strain on cpu's then gpu.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Like you said, it's in beta and i doubt compressing files to make the game smaller is their top priority right now, hence the file size at the moment.

Besides you can't expect games to have the same sizes forever and expect better graphics and more content.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Ok...in all my gaming years, i've never....even conceieved of one SINGLE game taking up so much goddamn space. I can't remember how much WoW took up, but it was not just one single game. It was a game, + 3 expansions(i stopped at wotlk).

Hell not even SKYRIM takes up 10gig, so what the HELL. This game is still in freaking beta, not even after-release patches/updates/expansions, and its already taking 30gigs? Am i really the only one freaking out over this?

Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game. I can easily fit it on my 2tb drive but fuck, i wanted all my games to go on my ssd and before this i had no problem. Sure i had to delete a game i hadnt played in 3 weeks to install skyrim, but hey, no big deal.

After clearing everything i could without breaking shit, i still need almost 20 freaking gigs to install this crap. Thats insane.

I'd also like to add Skyrim PC wasn't much more than Skyrim XBox, and they had to fit that on a DVD. So.................... Yeah, I'd get over the shock now if I were you.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by kileak

yea tera is kinda scary on it's cpu req's probably has to do with asian markets being behind in gpu power for the avg user. most games from the asian market put alot more strain on cpu's then gpu.

scary ? really? i have an even worse pc then him and it runs fine, i even had some settings on high iirc.

Also storm; you hardly see any game that really makes good use of dual vid cards so you would be better of with one good one, just saying.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

I built my current pc for FFXIV... I feelz ya.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Lol, it's just 30gigs, most computers are sold now with at least 500gigs or so of space, mine personally came with 2tb hard drive and it's not that expensive.

Games are big nowadays...why is this so shocking to you?

Originally posted by Blazeyer

I built my current pc for FFXIV... I feelz ya.

Really ? I never ever seen people do that where i'm from, why would you even do that knowing you might quit that game some time in the future ?

Also MMO's were never that demanding to begin with since they like to target broad audiences (well now anyways) so building a pc around an mmo really doesn't make much sense, hell i'd rather build a PC to last for a while then build it for some game but that might just be me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

EQ2 and Vanguard both use more than 20gb. I'm not surprised that TERA uses that much. In fact I would be concerned if a game was using less than 20gb these days.

Originally posted by Tirinas

scary ? really? i have an even worse pc then him and it runs fine, i even had some settings on high iirc.

Also storm; you hardly see any game that really makes good use of dual vid cards so you would be better of with one good one, just saying.

kinda yea, most western gamers go man my fps is low NEW graphics card time. for the first time in a long long time a game is coming out where a better processor is gonna give you more fps gain then a  better gpu. it's a new and frightening world we are stepping into.  tho i myself was getting ~ 30 fps everywhere with my q6700 and gtx 260 with everything on max minus AA. and ~20 in the capital city probably be 5 or so higher when the pet shops get thrown out.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Lol ya..the huge size of the game is what prevents me from trying it out just coz of my monthly download cap and that I know it just won't be worth it in the end.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by kileak

Ahh right insightful stuff, you must be one of those new fangled technological anthropologists. 

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Games get more advanced, thus they require more space.

Who doesnt have 30gb of space to spare?

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

You can buy a terrabyte drive these days for $50... 30gig is nothing

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

MMORPG usualy always ask for more hardrive space than they use, this is to take into account for expansions and patches down the line. I know Everquest wanted 25gig hardrive space but it doesnt nearly take that much.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

LOL, yeah I said the same thing when I downloaded it the first during the last NA beta.  To make it worse, I was only getting like 100K/sec download speeds.  Found out if you reset the connection it will speed.  Took me about 2 days to get the whole thing.

SWTOR is also 25GB+ but I bought that and installed it ove.r 3 DVDs.  Definitely getting closer to the norm.

WoW when I downloaded last month was 6GB to download, plus another 6GB update.

Hell, I bought a dedicated gaming laptop just for MMOs :-)   Plays everything at max setting (except Everquest II), but it still looks nice.

See you guys tommorrow in the beta ;-)

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Well, my outrage of Tera seems to be one that the is of my own perception. This is the first game i've ever played thats been this big. Not Rift, not WoW, not FFXI, no others were even close. I guess its cause i dont really play that many AAA p2p/b2p titles so maybe thats why. And this really is the norm.

Regardless, as i said in my first post," Note, the main reason i'm so upset about this is the fact that my ssd is only 64gigs, and obviously after installing windows i dont have that kind of freaking space to throw to ONE game"

i'm just upset(minorly so, its not like in in ra3g mode or anything) that i cant put it on my ssd, i like having my games on my ssd but this one just cant fit, i might just buy a bigger one and sell off my 64gb one, ah well.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

AoC 35gig, GW2 26 gig... Most modern MMOs take up 25 gig+.

Old games like EQ, Wow and GW takes up less of course but good graphics takes up a lot of ram and singleplayer games like skyrim are a lot smaller than a MMO.

Sorry but if you think 30 gig is a lot that means that you either need to upgrade your computer with a new harddrive or get a new one. Or you can play old games.

Originally posted by Sephiroso

i'm just upset(minorly so, its not like in in ra3g mode or anything) that i cant put it on my ssd, i like having my games on my ssd but this one just cant fit, i might just buy a bigger one and sell off my 64gb one, ah well.

depending on your system you might just want to keep only the os ont he small 64gig ssd and put your high end games on the new one if your gonna go that route. that would remove almost all bottlenecks regarding file access on your games. after that it's all cpu and then gpu, well it's more likely cpu>gpu>hd for tera, unsure where ram falls in line. and if you do have a large storage drive for other stuff can just save your money and just install tera there. i dont think your going to see any real performance hit with this game on a standard drive.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by sanshi44

MMORPG usualy always ask for more hardrive space than they use, this is to take into account for expansions and patches down the line. I know Everquest wanted 25gig hardrive space but it doesnt nearly take that much.

In that case did they count in the swap file as well, not all MMOs do that. They also usually have different values for minimum space and recommended.

This discussion has been closed.