Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nVidia GTX 680 Introduction Video

13»

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Jimmy562

You won't be needing a 680 for 1080 resolution. I use a 480GTX for 1080 and run everything maxed at decent fps so I can't see the reason to spend what ever the 680 will cost for an unnecessary FPS boost unless for some reason you like seeing a higher number.

To each their own, but its not entirely about a higher FPS.  I enjoy running my games at their peak performance with all the bells and whistles {including masses of mods ~ ex. Skyrim} running and that takes quite a bit of additional power.  All the while keeping a more than decent FPS.  

I'm keeping my PC updated with the latest tech so I don't have such a huge difference to pay when the best of the best GPUs launch later this year.  The 580 that I currently own has had a price drop recently, and should I wait until later this fall, it may drop again and not be worth as much.  Thus selling the 580 now while I can still get about $300-$350 for it is nominal.  Whereas later on I may only get $200-$250.

The GTX 680 is only $500, so I'm really only paying about $200 for it.  Considering the benchmarks being released as I type, this 680 is killing the 580 in just about everything, so its very well worth it, at least to me!

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by Jimmy562

You won't be needing a 680 for 1080 resolution. I use a 480GTX for 1080 and run everything maxed at decent fps so I can't see the reason to spend what ever the 680 will cost for an unnecessary FPS boost unless for some reason you like seeing a higher number.

To each their own, but its not entirely about a higher FPS.  I enjoy running my games at their peak performance with all the bells and whistles {including masses of mods ~ ex. Skyrim} running and that takes quite a bit of additional power.  All the while keeping a more than decent FPS.  

I'm keeping my PC updated with the latest tech so I don't have such a huge difference to pay when the best of the best GPUs launch later this year.  The 580 that I currently own has had a price drop recently, and should I wait until later this fall, it may drop again and not be worth as much.  Thus selling the 580 now while I can still get about $300-$350 for it is nominal.  Whereas later on I may only get $200-$250.

The GTX 680 is only $500, so I'm really only paying about $200 for it.  Considering the benchmarks being released as I type, this 680 is killing the 580 in just about everything, so its very well worth it, at least to me!

Well as I said, I run everything maxed out as it is with mods etc but I usually don't care about the FPS as long as its smooth :)

I can understand going for it now if you plan on selling your current GPU for it though. 

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Ok so, by looking at the review it seems it's still best to go with AMD. It's closer but AMD still pulls ahead.

Hmm, it's going to be months before they bring out more of the series and there's no date for a dual. Frustrating.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

Ok so, by looking at the review it seems it's still best to go with AMD. It's closer but AMD still pulls ahead.

Hmm, it's going to be months before they bring out more of the series and there's no date for a dual. Frustrating.

Where are you seeing this at?

In damn near every benchmark, the 680 is well ahead of the 7970, and nearly the same performance of the 6990 and GTX 590.  In the Crysis:Warhead benchmark the 7970 is surely winning but thats about it.  Plus there is a $50 price difference now, nVidia being cheaper.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

If you look at the various reviews around the net the general consensus seems to be that they are both brilliant cards and perform practically identical at higher resolutions and with overclocking. At this point it mostly just comes down to which brand you prefer.

A couple of things that stood out in the reviews are that physx titles aren't seeing any benefit from choosing one card or the other which you'd expect nvidia to be in the lead, and their new TXAA isn't even supported in any games (yet), it's really just a replacement for FXAA that never really got used by devs much and was more by modders.

AnandTech ~ nVidia GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking the Performance Crown

Almost everything I read and saw here, shows the 680 performing quite a bit better, but anyway, as I said at the very beginning of this thread, I don't really care about AMD, but when most the reviews are proving the GTX 680 is faster, cooler and quieter ~ as well as cheaper.  I don't see how anyone can say AMD is still better, at this point.

It ultimately all comes down to preference as I tried to explain earlier...

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Hmm, not sure about that..all the benchmarks I've seen so far pull Nvidia ahead.

Where are you seeing this at?

In damn near every benchmark, the 680 is well ahead of the 7970, and nearly the same performance of the 6990 and GTX 590.  In the Crysis:Warhead benchmark the 7970 is surely winning but thats about it.  Plus there is a $50 price difference now, nVidia being cheaper.

I was looking at the 4GB, it looks like it does outshine the 7970 though. Pretty impressive. This is good news, I wonder how long before they bring out the rest of the series. Hmm...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

GPU boost causing some stutter:

'Lots of trouble, when we look at the time spent on long-latency frames. What happened to the GTX 680? Well, look up at the plots above, and you'll see that, very early in our test run, there was a frame that took nearly 180 ms to produce—nearly a fifth of a second. As we played the game, we experienced this wait as a brief but total interruption in gameplay. That stutter, plus a few other shorter ones, contributed to the 680's poor showing here. Turns out we ran into this problem with the GTX 680 in four of our five test runs, each time early in the run and each time lasting about 180 ms. Nvidia tells us the slowdown is the result of a problem with its GPU Boost mechanism that will be fixed in an upcoming driver update.'

http://techreport.com/articles.x/22653/9

I was looking at the 4GB, it looks like it does outshine the 7970 though. Pretty impressive. This is good news, I wonder how long before they bring out the rest of the series. Hmm...

What I'm hearing from a product manager over on the EVGA boards...it'll be several months.  There is rumor of the dual GPUs for both nVidia and AMD releasing in May.  Though I tend to stick with a single GPU and am now awaiting the true GK110 flagship GPU from nVidia later this year.  More than likely will be named the GTX 780.

Considering how low the chip yields have been for the 680, that which AMD has been suffering with for 7970 to this day.  Depends how many lower yields they were able to salvage, but I still bet on at least a month or two before we see lower numbered models.

From what I'm hearing from a production manager over on the EVGA boards...it'll be several months.  There is rumor of the dual GPUs for both nVidia and AMD releasing in May though.  I tend to stick with a single GPU and am now awaiting the true GK110 flagship GPU from nVidia later this year.  More than likely will be named the GTX 780.

According to Gibbo the purchasing manager at overclockers.co.uk they aren't releasing a faster single card this year.

"This is their top-end GPU, people seem under the illusion that this is their mid-range offering. IT IS NOT.

NVIDIA won't release a faster single GPU this year, the next faster product from both AMD and NVIDIA shall be dual GPU based. "

Originally posted by Kabaal

GPU boost causing some stutter:

'Lots of trouble, when we look at the time spent on long-latency frames. What happened to the GTX 680? Well, look up at the plots above, and you'll see that, very early in our test run, there was a frame that took nearly 180 ms to produce—nearly a fifth of a second. As we played the game, we experienced this wait as a brief but total interruption in gameplay. That stutter, plus a few other shorter ones, contributed to the 680's poor showing here. Turns out we ran into this problem with the GTX 680 in four of our five test runs, each time early in the run and each time lasting about 180 ms. Nvidia tells us the slowdown is the result of a problem with its GPU Boost mechanism that will be fixed in an upcoming driver update.'

http://techreport.com/articles.x/22653/9

They're using the older 300.99 drivers for those benchmarks, as is everyone.  nVidia has already released the newer 301.10 drivers, which as they said should correct this stuttering.

Originally posted by Kabaal

NVIDIA won't release a faster single GPU this year, the next faster product from both AMD and NVIDIA shall be dual GPU based. "

The dual is certainly releasing this year!   However, nobody but nVidia really knows for sure what is yet to come, but if they don't release the GK110 GPU, at least I'm more than set for this year then.  GW2 is gonna rock..especially the Mists with the 680.

Here's another review from Tom's.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Jimmy562.

You know why you need a 680?  Because it doesn't run the risk of melting anything, unlike your 480.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Considering how low the chip yields have been for the 680, that which AMD has been suffering with for 7970 to this day.  Depends how many lower yields they were able to salvage, but I still bet on at least a month or two before we see lower numbered models.

Wait, what?  Nvidia's yield problems are causing AMD to suffer?  I'd think that AMD would be glad that Nvidia is having yield problems.  Fewer Kepler cards coming to market early means more customers deciding not to wait and buying AMD instead.  It also means delaying the inevitable price cuts once you have to compete on price with a competitor who has plenty of cards available to sell.

Lots of companies use one of TSMC's 28 nm process nodes.  Nvidia is the only one complaining about yield problems.  So do you think the problem is on TSMC's end or Nvidia's?

[mod edit]

Supply would contradict the supposed yield problem. Stock of 680's is much more abundant here in the UK than we saw from 7970's, or even 50's at launch.

Price cuts are a'coming for the 7000 series, just dont expect them to be on 7970's. Some of the review sites are being outspoken just now about price drops but somehow they decided to forget all about overclocking.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Love it! Nvidia is the way to go for high end pc systems. For budget/mid range someone could always go for ATI though.

Khrymson, you just don't read what he types do you? Yes we get that you prefer Nvidia but the fella you're disputing with gives you hard facts. He's isn't for one nor the other, he just says as it is... but from an informed perspective rather than being a fan of a brand.

If i didn't know better i'd say you were an nvidia employee, but i do and well you're too.. for that.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Graphic card debate should never be taken personally. If we're going to be smart gamers, there are a lot of factors in choosing the best card which doesn't include a brand label just for the sake of branding.

I don't care if it's called "Bob's Garage Vid-e-Yo Kard", if it's the best deal on the market for me, that's what I'm getting.

Originally posted by Genesis88

Ya see Quizz, thats one thing that I can't even give a single iota about.   I don't care how much better you keep preaching AMD supposedly is compared to nVidia.  AMD doesn't exist in my world.  I'll never consider one their cards no matter how great you or anyone else thinks they are over nVidia.

[mod edit]

O...K...

This is no different than me saying I don't like a particular religion or political side.  I've chosen what I like, regardless of what the other team offers and most of you can't seem to accept my choice.  You'd rather call foul, fabricate ridiculous excuses and not allow me to enjoy my preferences without acceptance of your views too.

How hard is it for you to understand that I don't like AMD, no matter what they offer.  Everything Quizz preaches may have some fact to a certain degree but much of it is also his opinion, which differs greatly from mine.

Graphic card debate should never be taken personally. If we're going to be smart gamers, there are a lot of factors in choosing the best card which doesn't include a brand label just for the sake of branding.

I'm not taking the debate on which card is better personally, but as for the debate on why most of you can't leave my opinion of AMD vs nVidia alone is another matter.   We are all entitled to our own opinions and choices, but by how I'm reading the responses, none of you are willing to accept that and I must consider AMD...its ridiculous.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Closing this. The actual topic has gone off the rails and there have been previous mod warnings in here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.