Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

not F2P that ends up costing that no. I mean $50 flat rate but the game is completely and totally fri**in stunning and everything you could ever imagine..kinda game.

Hell does the game come with some VR .hack type crap? If not then no.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Yes, absolutely.  I would expect amazing things from the start and I would have no leniance for any shortcomings in the game. To put it as blunt as possible, it would have to be perfect and everchanging to warrant that price.  All of the cliche reasons as to why game A and game B is struggling will be thrown out the door.

I would love for a dev to get the courage to do something like this.  You best bring your A game though.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Xzen

I say again, $50 is how much a cell phone bill is without a data plan. Its the cost of dinner for 2 at a nice resturant without ordering wine, its easily the cost of one night at the night club.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I would pay $30 without hesitation for a MMO oldschool and no cash shop.

I might stretch it to $50 for the perfect MMO (but I am quite demanding so it's not going to happen)

Originally posted by dannydeuce

Yes, absolutely.  I would expect amazing things from the start and I would have no leniance for any shortcomings in the game. To put it as blunt as possible, it would have to be perfect and everchanging to warrant that price.  All of the cliche reasons as to why game A and game B is struggling will be thrown out the door.

I would love for a dev to get the courage to do something like this.  You best bring your A game though.

I do agree that the basic baseline would have to be this:

any conversation comparing the game to any other MMO would be a silly conversation.

that would be the sweet spot.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Xzen

I say again, $50 is how much a cell phone bill is without a data plan. Its the cost of dinner for 2 at a nice resturant without ordering wine, its easily the cost of one night at the night club.

I take that as a no then. So then my answer is a hell no.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

For the perfect MMO yes, I would pay 50 bucks a month.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

No, i wouldn't unless it was VR.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I commonly spend close to $50/month in Second Life. I know I don't need that much stuff to enjoy my time in the game, but I like to have it and it's worth it to me. I realize the OP said flat rate and not a cash shop, so I would have to say no, I would not pay $50/month flat rate for a game because that would entitle everyone who plays it to have the same stuff.  And I am fine with that. But if everyone got everything in the game for the same $50/rate, then nobody and nothing would be special. You might have access to all the areas and items, but so would everyone else.

What might make a flat rate of $50/month actually worth it was if the developers or GMs actually had services where they played and/or interacted with the players to make things move along or perhaps to seem more realistic in some way, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• GaxusnGaxusn Member UncommonPosts: 77

No chance. 

Playing: Nothing
    Played: EQ1, EQ2, VG:SoH, WoW, AoC, LoTRO, Aion, L2, DF, WAR.
    Favourites: EQ1, VG:SoH, Original WoW.
    Waiting: Pantheon: ROTF

my cost of playing the game of 'real life' was around $800 a month.

my cost of sticking to video games and telling the rest of the world to shove off is about $20 a month

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

i would pay 50 € right now for a month in Anarchy Online before cash shops and dailys and all this next-gen god mode crap.

Let's internet

Originally posted by ForumPvP

i would pay 50 € right now for a month in Anarchy Online before cash shops and dailys and all this next-gen god mode crap.

lol..

I hear you. Pay more to bring the good stuff back please. some of it could just use a new coat of paint and that is it

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Id pay it if it allowed me to do mad, crazy no  sane mmo developer would ever think of doing, like playing a panda bear.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

No

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if litteraly stick my di*# in the screen and hump my female avatar whenever i want.....sure.

otherwise no.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Kabaal

No, i wouldn't unless it was VR.

My thoughts for sure not unless VR

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

No. My phone is more important than ANY game! I could spend that kinda of money getting drunk one night :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

No. My phone is more important than ANY game! I could spend that kinda of money getting drunk one night :D

exactly! but honestly, at least for me I have more fun with the game.

lucky me I guess

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Sure, I would.

For a good, vibrant living world, with frequent events organised both by players and in-game GMs, without any form of cash shop or item mall, no question, I would happily pay more than the "standard" $15/month fare.

I've always wondered why no developer ever tried something like "premium" servers.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Yes if they made a real MMO again I would in a heartbeat. Been saying this for years that they need to step it up to weed out the non-RPG players and allow atleast one good MMORPG to be made. Not that they should stop making the games they make now. Just give those of us that want more the option.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Been there, done that.  At one time, I had four accounts on the same game to sustain a large stable of specialized alts and bank space to sustain my pack-rat habbits.  I'm fairly confident I won't ever be doing that again.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

no game could possibly be this good ..unless is comes with hookers.

no

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i would however pay 20$ a month for my dream mmo (skyrim mmo with battles, and sieges of thousands of people). heck for that i might even pay 30$ if it's absolutely flawless.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

No game is worth $600 dollars a year. Comparing a utitly to a game is retarded also.