Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So when did Real Money Trading become okay?

EVE Online, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 are AAA games that are now implementing legitimate forms of Real Money Trading. All four of these games now allow players to purchase gameplay-affecting items and boosts using real world currencies.

When did this become okay? 

The above companies rationalize the introduction of RMT trading by touting that it prevents illegal RMT, hacking, scams, etc. However, these are NOT the reasons why RMT was banned in the first place.

RMT was banned because it provided in-game advantages for out-of-game resources. That is, RMT was considered cheating.

What happened to make these companies believe that main evil of RMT is hacking and scaming instead of the loss of the game's integrity? How did the paradigm shift so much that people actually stand for it now when you would have had internet riots if this happened only 6 years ago?

Comments

• DShepley60DShepley60 Member Posts: 22

The main reason they did it is because they cant stop it. They been trying for so long with WoW which took them 6 months of fighting after Relase of Vanilla WoW before they could stop people from selling Gold and Accounts on Ebay, which now all takes places on many 3rd party sites.

Same with Diablo 2, which from nearly day one and still to this day, there is Real Money Transactions happening all the time via 3rd party sites. Since they cant stop them, they are going to impliment it so that they can benieft from it as well as giving those who do do it, a secure means of doing so.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by fundayz

What happened to make these companies believe that main evil of RMT is hacking and scaming instead of the loss of the game's integrity? How did the paradigm shift so much that people actually stand for it now when you would have had internet riots if this happened only 6 years ago?

You've answered your question right here. TImes have changed. RMT is inevitable, whether it's supported or not. Support for RMT creates a symbiotic relationship between the core player, the casual player and the developer. Not supporting RMT creates a hostile environment where core gamers hate farmers and casuals who buy illegally, and game developers hunt down offenders.

Wasn't like that 6 years ago (although it was more active than people realized).

• DShepley60DShepley60 Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Sythion

Wasn't like that 6 years ago (although it was more active than people realized).

This been happening since the late 90's, but you're right, its been becoming bigger and bigger each year over the past 6-8 years.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

None of them have the same system as the others, so your generalizations are innacurate. 

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

RMT was banned because it provided in-game advantages for out-of-game resources. That is, RMT was considered cheating.

Market happened.

These companies just noticed that despite their best efforts, farmers kept farming gold and people kept buying them (RMT wouldn't exist at all if people wasn't willing to RMT in the first place), added to the increase success of F2P titles with item shops. So if a non insignificant percentage of their customers want or already use it, they just decided to regulate it themselves instead of trying to fight it, and if they can profit from it, the better. After all, we have to remember they're not sporting organizations trying to keep everything as fair as possible, they're companies out to make money out of products we, the costumers, hopefully enjoy.

It just remains to be seen wether the amount of people that are for regulated "legal" RMT, or don't care either way is big enough to make up for the losing of people that feel strongly against it.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

What game play affecting items are in EvE, WoW, and GW2? The only one I have a problem with is Diablo 3 simply because of how gear based of a game it will be. I would hardly consider cosmetic items in EvE game play changing in any way, unless you need a monocle to fly your ship. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Just like the argument for legalizing drugs:

You know they'll be safe(er) and clean(er) because they're regulated.

You know the price will be more regulated because the market will be visible not hidden.

The people in charge can then tax and get a cut of the profits.

I mean, you ask me would I rather my money go to the company who made the game I enjoy or to the prison guard in China who is/was forcing inmates to farm gold in WoW -

I'm going to answer "the company who made the game" every time.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I would prefer it was regulated rather than underground / black market to maintain the economy rather than create its own unofficial one behind closed doors which could lead to a two-tier / unstable ingame and even real world economy.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I am going to disagree with you here.  The companies banned RMT primarily because it was disrupting their games too much and thus costing them money due to disgruntled customers. 

Games like EQ used to allow RMT until the operations got too big and professional and various duping hacks started crashing the servers.  When RMT started costing them money, they banned it.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Vertical purchases (things which make you stronger) are bad.

Lateral purchases (playstyle options like those found in LoL or Tribes:Ascend) are fantastic.  (Especially because in those examples you can unlock things the slow way if you really want.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

As it has been said over countless other threads whenever the topic becomes popular again.

It happens because the demand is there. It isn't a multi-billion dollar industry simply by being, it has customers (players) that willingly fork over their dough to get shiny things and power.

Human nature tends to find shortcuts for their goals, and many will rationalize the decision as not being harmful to anyone else.

If people here condemning and soap boxing this issue really wanted to make a difference, then they should:

1) Make a dedicated website or refer ppl to one where a petition can be signed against RMT's (unlikely to come to fruition) or

2) Vote with your wallet and not pay or play games with RMT's.

If enough ppl do this, change can happen, but the anonymity of the internet and the (insert derogatory adjective here) of those that buy real cash for ingame stuff makes it very unlikely to change anytime soon. 

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Its only cheating if its an unfair advantage, companies are trying to make it as fair as they can, while still providing a service that has an ever increasing demand.

Its better than the alternative, which is an unregulated black market running amok

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

RMT became OK the day people started using it instead of refusing and demanding changing it, so yeah it seems it works ok....

I voted "it doesnt matter as long as it doesnt directly affect me"

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

OP, so when has it been OK to allow gold selling companies to take money that could/should be going to the game maker?

See, that is the question people like you refuse to think about.

It is NOT possible to stop gold selling unless the game maker themselves makes it availible.

It is 100% better for the game maker to get that money so they can reinvest it back into the game.

It is 100% better to have a game with no gold seller spam knowing that anyone that wants to spend their money is not only getting it from the game maker, but the money from it is going to help keep the game going.

Just deal with the FACT that people ARE GOING TO BUY GOLD IF THEY WANT TO NO MATTER WHAT and that this way, they are going to HELP the game instead of hurt it...game economies that rely on player money is going to be ruined no matter what anyway.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Im for it..if anyone should be making money on the side it should be the actual game developers. Ive used third parties before but no longer have to sweat it as the devs themselves have seen the light of yet another income source.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by Xerith

What game play affecting items are in EvE, WoW, and GW2? The only one I have a problem with is Diablo 3 simply because of how gear based of a game it will be. I would hardly consider cosmetic items in EvE game play changing in any way, unless you need a monocle to fly your ship. 

You actually don't know do you?

In EVE you buy PLEX which can be sold for large amounts of ISK. This ISK can be used to buy ships, materials, blueprints, upgrades, etc.

In WoW you can now buy tradeable Guardian Pup mini-pets. These can be sold on the AH for Gold, which can then be used for gear, consumables, gems, mats, etc

In Diablo 3 you can literally buy items and characters directly with cash.

In GW2 you can now buy Gems using cash and sell them in-game for Gold. This gold can be used to buy gear, crafting materials, consumables, guild influence. In addition, you can buy loot bags and gameplay bonuses (xp, karma, rare item chance, etc) directly from the cash shop.

Originally posted by jtcgs

OP, so when has it been OK to allow gold selling companies to take money that could/should be going to the game maker?

It is NOT possible to stop gold selling unless the game maker themselves makes it availible.

It is 100% better for the game maker to get that money so they can reinvest it back into the game.

It is 100% better to have a game with no gold seller spam knowing that anyone that wants to spend their money is not only getting it from the game maker, but the money from it is going to help keep the game going.

This argument is laughable.

Yes, RMT will always happen. The issue is how widespread do the developers allow it to become.

There is a huge difference between knowing that a few people will find ways to cheat and the developers openly endorsing it.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by BadSpock

You know the price will be more regulated because the market will be visible not hidden.

I mean, you ask me would I rather my money go to the company who made the game I enjoy or to the prison guard in China who is/was forcing inmates to farm gold in WoW -

Have to +1 this. One of the best answers.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

RMT existed since the beginning of mmos. i bet even in UO it existed. So your question isn't valid. It was always there so iot was always ok for some people. Just now companies decided to control it.

Originally posted by QSatu

RMT existed since the beginning of mmos. i bet even in UO it existed. So your question isn't valid. It was always there so iot was always ok for some people. Just now companies decided to control it.

In UO we were buying and selling everything on Ebay. At one point I think a placed tower was going for over 1,000 USD.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Xzen

Well, I mean the entire thing is based upon the fact that you always have a choice.

Illegal or legal RMT, you are never forced to buy. It's a choice.

Sure, you can feel strongly pursuaded to spend due to a variety of factors, but no one is holding a gun to your head.

Can't really say the same thing about the illegal drug market though...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

In GW2 you can now buy Gems using cash and sell them in-game for Gold. This gold can be used to buy gear, crafting materials, consumables, guild influence. In addition, you can buy loot bags and gameplay bonuses (xp, karma, rare item chance, etc) directly from the cash shop.

your paragraph sounds like blaming GW2 for pay to win. None of the things you mentioned break the game (did they say they will sell statted gear in cash shop? i think not...) only merchants sell gears, cash shop will sell fashion change for your gear.

And, you cannot buy cash shop with gold. You need gems for that (either trade with gold or buy with real money). So you got that wrong too.

Originally posted by Xzen

Well, I mean the entire thing is based upon the fact that you always have a choice.

Illegal or legal RMT, you are never forced to buy. It's a choice.

Sure, you can feel strongly pursuaded to spend due to a variety of factors, but no one is holding a gun to your head.

Can't really say the same thing about the illegal drug market though...

A bit off topic but the legalization of drugs would remove the violent part of the buisness that is prevalent today. I'd rather it be legal and have treatments to help addicts.

As for the issue of RMT in MMOs I'd like for the game companies to get the money rather than third parties. I know of a guy that runs a babysitting service in the USA and he lets the kids play to farm gold that he sells.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Xerith

You actually don't know do you?

In EVE you buy PLEX which can be sold for large amounts of ISK. This ISK can be used to buy ships, materials, blueprints, upgrades, etc.

In WoW you can now buy tradeable Guardian Pup mini-pets. These can be sold on the AH for Gold, which can then be used for gear, consumables, gems, mats, etc

In Diablo 3 you can literally buy items and characters directly with cash.

Originally posted by jtcgs

This argument is laughable.

Yes, RMT will always happen. The issue is how widespread do the developers allow it to become.

There is a huge difference between knowing that a few people will find ways to cheat and the developers openly endorsing it.

Wait wait you already know what they are selling?  You're breaching your NDA for the beta?  You're playing the game right now?  Damn I'm jeaous........*all speculation that goes against the words that Anet has already said*

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

I don't have self-control issues so these companies making money off something that would happen anyway doesn't effect me at all.

I'd rather see the companies that create these games get the money over chinese farmers and hackers.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

When china's goverment officals relized they could use prisoners playing mmo's 12hr shifts to put alittle side money in there pockets.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA