Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The EVE Online Re-Review

Comments

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

Eve is good, review is bad.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by elocke

I want to see a re-review of this game by someone who isn't such a "fan".  Someone new maybe or someone who has shown unbias in all thier reviews toward the games they play.

Personally...I'm tired of hearing about Eve.  I get it, it's awesome for those hardcore PVP sandboxers who like getting away with crimes in a virtual world that would have many on death row in real life.   Maybe if the game played like a game instead of wasting my time literally and making me click to move or filter through a menu system to fight/move THEN I might be a bit more forgiving.  

Although, don't get me wrong, I like the setting and atmosphere, just wish it was more accessible? I guess.  Maybe I'm just a huge PVE fan and this game doesn't tickle that part of the gamer in me.   What little PVE it has is mired in tedium and literally waiting for a skill to be learned.  That's just boring to me.  Would rather have an active skill system that I learn as I use.  Not how much time has passed.

Unbiased opinnion about EVE with 4 years in the game with insight of its developement and opinnion about all of it ranging between furious harted and discontempt to utter unforgiving addiction and love. About as unbiased as one can actually be, after having this, and being a human being.

Everything the above review says is true and the grades given to the game are within range of what the game actually offers. Let me add on that review though.

EVE's Reputation revolves around it being awesome for "hardcore PVPe'rs" and "sandboxers". This reputation is because of the majority of the most vocal people belong to those two groups. It does not however mean at all that you can not succesfully and enjoyably be everything but that kind of a person. 

Successfull PVE career in EVE is relatively easy and the content available is vast in quantity and from mediocre to high in quality. The nature of FFA PVP and full loot persists throughout the game, but for a PVE career player, they are just intelligent NPC's to be avoided. You can play through all the PVE content be it where ever in the game world, without firing a single shot against human player. Sure, flying through low-security area is more dangerous, with relative ease you can dodge all enemies and keep on doing what you want to do. With the lack of "bubble mechanics" available, a adequately real life skilled player can achieve 100% safety in low-sec, when not afk. It is relatively easy these days to make your ship such that it can not be located in PVE "pocket" even with scan probes, just google unprobable.

Consider those areas just higher difficulty level PVE environment.

Cloaking is extremely overpowered in the game, and its a blessing for a PVE'er. Combined with probing ability, you can go through even the harshest wormholes and into deep 0.0 regions without fear of being killed. Sure, these are in the very extreme of danger levels, and bubble mechanics being allowed in these spaces, you can not achieve 100% security, together with keeping ship viability. There is massive regions of NPC controlled 0.0, where everyone can roam freely and dock to NPC stations, do missions to NPC factions and obtain the most beautiful ships and highest income in the game for example. 

Consider these as the highest difficulty level content of the PVE environment and consider all the enemies in local tab as clever NPC AI's. Dodging them is all about your skill as pilot, and its relatively easy.

The game does play like a game, it just doesn't spoonfeed you quests to move from this town to that town. It actually tells you about the factions whom you can choose from already in the character creation. It tells about the pirates, their culture and homes during the introduction. It is up to you to choose, and seek them out. It is nearly impossible to find something mentioned in EVE, that is there only for lore, those factions, people, agents, characters, that are mentioned they actually exist, even Jovians.

Moving by clicking "warp" and "approach" (and god forbid autopiloting) is something many new players fall into, because its a familiar way to interact with the world. Everything within the game points towards those buttons being there only for traveling. In any combat situation, you should completely disregard the ability to approach and use orbit only as a back up tool when you are way too busy doing other required tasks. Wast majority level up their skills so that they completely overcome the enemy and survive the encounters by just approaching and running defenses that can take fleets of enemies. This mistake is the very reason they usually also shun away from PVP, where that tactic is practically a suicide.

You are supposed to take the PVE environment as a challenge yourself, and approach it as such. Let loose the ideology of approach, orbit, wait for guns to fire and shield to regen, rince repeat. Take a smaller ship, get there faster, do the encounter with risk and skill, think of your transversal velocity and diagonal movement against the tracking of the enemy's guns. Figure out that range of enemy's missiles and how to move away from him in such manner that you can shoot him but he can't shoot you even if you have less range. This is all done by manually piloting and engagement selection.

EVE doesn't have many buttons in the hotbar. It's because the hotbar is least of your troubles when you play. The world around you is actually living, its not a corridor where everything else behind you is dead and the only thing to worry about is the next 3 mobs infront of you, this world lives. You have to spend your time clicking the ship scanner refresh, to see if there are enemies withi n 12,4AU from you, but not yet on your immediate view. You have to use it's width degree number to make it a cone, so you can point it to different directions so you'll know where about they are coming from. You are busy getting intel from nearby systems, hopefully, through your scouts and friends. You are busy observing the solar system map to position yourself and your safe spots the right way. You are busy looking at the galaxy map and where the most recent deaths occured near you and if they're closing in. You are busy reacting as a fleet to changing situations, the enemy is hardly ever a stabile single target that you just DD down and wait for the heals. The tighter the situation gets, less your hotbar actually matters, its about how you pilot it.

The skill training in EVE is overwhelming. There are literaly skills for 27 years of online time to be trained, so its no wonder new pilot gets completely lost when they oogle the massive content they open up. One thing has always held through though, skillpoint amount in EVE does not matter as much as the player. Skillpoints only open up more content and options to go through them. When already so much in EVE is about you making the decission of how to handle a situation, and being a sandbox the number of situations you can encounter is just ridicilously numerous, it is a very good thing that in the beginning you only have 12 different ships to choose from, and less than hundred different paths to take. It is up to you to decide, try and get into the position where you can execute your role with optimal efficiency, be what it may it always has a place. 

Last summer a new player joined our team, and trained cloaking and cynosural field theory lvl1, in about 6 days. He flew around with this pesky frigate holding those two items, feeding our fleets information about enemy movements. With cynocural module, he could call in our fleet through an instant warping wormhole. He was the key person in 2 months campaing to allow our thousand player alliance to completely cascade another. I heard after that he has not ran out of money to fly anything he wants. 

Oh, the review part.

EVE is a game with high barrier of entry, simply because how we as humans are, especially in our early stages of developement. Its a game that requires us to do things we are usually not even able to do in real life, know what we want, do decissions and stick to them. EVE allows easy mode, but it makes the experience dull and more like a interactive screensaver. It also allows you to take the reins, and if you failed in EVE, you probably failed because of your own fault and not the game's.

I assure you though, that if you play EVE and gife it that effort that you study the mechanics a bit, and you do succeed in your path, it does not only give you immense amounts of feeling of achievement, but also makes you realize that you are all powerfull all capable god of that world. And at least parts of that realization is applicable in real life, and it turns you into a better person.

9.2/10

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I would have played this game if it did not force you to pvp.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

EvE has improved  A LOT in the last 12 months, and it will be even better in the next 12 months. Really oustanding product. One of the best mmo's ever created.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

See, that's my thing-

If you were to write out a list of all the things you can do in EvE and all the things EvE does (there is one out there I know)

I love the idea... it sounds amazing on paper, all the options, the open sandbox, risk/reward, dynamic player interaction, corp/alliance PvP/control, economy, etc. etc.

EvE Online's feature list can't be matched by any other MMORPG.

But the implementation of those features... to me... is just... boring. I played for months, got into PvP and a fair amount of PvE etc.

I mean, it's best exemplified by watching some of their trailers and promo/marketting stuff -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq2oxt7Nrxo

And then actually playing the game-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa3fK3VO1bk

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by BadSpock

See, that's my thing-

If you were to write out a list of all the things you can do in EvE and all the things EvE does (there is one out there I know)

I love the idea... it sounds amazing on paper, all the options, the open sandbox, risk/reward, dynamic player interaction, corp/alliance PvP/control, economy, etc. etc.

EvE Online's feature list can't be matched by any other MMORPG.

But the implementation of those features... to me... is just... boring. I played for months, got into PvP and a fair amount of PvE etc.

I mean, it's best exemplified by watching some of their trailers and promo/marketting stuff -

Exactly.  I have more fun playing Eve Online in my head than in reality.

Originally posted by Demogorgon

I want to see a re-review of this game by someone who isn't such a "fan".  Someone new maybe or someone who has shown unbias in all thier reviews toward the games they play.

Personally...I'm tired of hearing about Eve.  I get it, it's awesome for those hardcore PVP sandboxers who like getting away with crimes in a virtual world that would have many on death row in real life.   Maybe if the game played like a game instead of wasting my time literally and making me click to move or filter through a menu system to fight/move THEN I might be a bit more forgiving.  

Although, don't get me wrong, I like the setting and atmosphere, just wish it was more accessible? I guess.  Maybe I'm just a huge PVE fan and this game doesn't tickle that part of the gamer in me.   What little PVE it has is mired in tedium and literally waiting for a skill to be learned.  That's just boring to me.  Would rather have an active skill system that I learn as I use.  Not how much time has passed.

This  x1000

The day a decent space base MMORPG that doesn't focus on pvp comes out, EVE is going to experience a quick death.  Most of its player base ( not subs ) is in empire. It should tell you something.

The older this game is, the more imbalance it becomes. But fear not vets, you still have many years to enjoy playing your shiny toy on multiple accounts, for free, on the back of aspiring noobs with delusion of grandeur eager to get to the top because they've been sweet talked into believing that they could somehow magicaly compete with old power house backed by  fortunes in the hundreds of billions +.

Oh, I can already hear the classic rebutal: But you can specialize and be competetive in your ( small insignificant narrow ) role in a FEW MONTHS. Like thats any fun! And for the rest of the game... Well, you'll have to patiently suck it up for YEARS.

Such a good game design. /rolleyes

If you are looking for the game to offer up epicness like that then you are looking in the wrong place. The game never made anyone "epic", you have to do that yourself. Its a social game more than anything, you think the people on the top of the cluster got there because they had lots of isk and skill points? They got there because they managed to convince other people to follow them, if you dont manage that then you will be forever a grunt, no matter how much isk or skillpoints you have.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Exactly.  I have more fun playing Eve Online in my head than in reality.

Exactly.

And I certainly tried to actually play EvE in reality, twice, second time actually subbed and played for many months before I just couldn't take it anymore.

But hey, to EvE's credit, I played it longer than I played Rift or TOR lol

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Again....

EvE is a simulation. A simulation of economics, power and war. Yet it is one of the few, if not the only one, where you can make a name for yourself, your corp or alliance and have an impact on the whole playerbase.

This is actually why EvE is the only game in my books that deserves to be called a MMORPG.

The argument that you're forced to do PvP is bollocks. There's thousands of players playing for month and years never being forced to do any PvP at all, but just do their PvE-stuff never even being targeted by another player.
    In EvE you've got choices, and if you choose to only do PvE, then you can do so. If you happen to attract other players tho for whatever reason, then you made this choice instead of flying under the radar. Noone in EvE will have any interest bothering you, aslong as you don't put a big fat target-sign onto your ship yourself.

GTFO allready, if you can't accept all this, as it only proves that you're not capable of thinking yourself in a game but need someone feeding you every tiny bit.

• MaissonMaisson Member UncommonPosts: 29

EVE has a great concept and allows the freedom that is much needed for players I did enjoy all the different things to do in the game, except the ship controls. I found the ship controls and combat boring.  Getting from place to place could take up to 20 mins. It's not like you say I want to go here and set your course and walk away, you have to go to each jump gate and you can't walk away and check back because you will be ganked if you are idle to long. The lack of ship controls I felt gimped the game abit.

I do like how player driven the game is and there is no leveling only skill based on what you can and can't use. I do like that that there is no limit as to what you are such as pirates, mercenaries, theives.. there is no limit as to class or spec, it's what you make of it.

I would give this 8.5 out of 10 due to the flight controls in and out of combat along with travel from one location to another.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Unfortunatly there is no such thing as an 'un-biased' review of Eve.

In order to give Eve (or indeed any game) a proper, logical and qualified review you simply must explore everything about it.

Just like reviewing a 4 course meal, you cant simply taste just the starter.

And with Eve, the deeper you go, the more amazing and wonderous and epic it gets!  And that really is the problem, people who dont like eve, well they are still stuck on figuring out how to eat the starter, they've yet to even put a morsel in their mouth and like a baby in a high-chair, they get frustrated and throw their spoon across the table,  they just want the food in their mouth straight away.. they dont want to mess about with trying to figure out how to use a fork! lol

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

COMPLETELY biased review. He even said at the start that he was a massive fanboy. And the amount of money CCP put into adverts on this site im sure has nothing to do with it.

Now, lets compare. SWTOR was given an 8.7. So Eve is only .5 better than SWTOR? Shows how completely meaningless the review scores on this site are...

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Banden

This  x1000

The day a decent space base MMORPG that doesn't focus on pvp comes out, EVE is going to experience a quick death.  Most of its player base ( not subs ) is in empire. It should tell you something.

The older this game is, the more imbalance it becomes. But fear not vets, you still have many years to enjoy playing your shiny toy on multiple accounts, for free, on the back of aspiring noobs with delusion of grandeur eager to get to the top because they've been sweet talked into believing that they could somehow magicaly compete with old power house backed by  fortunes in the hundreds of billions +.

Oh, I can already hear the classic rebutal: But you can specialize and be competetive in your ( small insignificant narrow ) role in a FEW MONTHS. Like thats any fun! And for the rest of the game... Well, you'll have to patiently suck it up for YEARS.

If you are looking for the game to offer up epicness like that then you are looking in the wrong place. The game never made anyone "epic", you have to do that yourself. Its a social game more than anything, you think the people on the top of the cluster got there because they had lots of isk and skill points? They got there because they managed to convince other people to follow them, if you dont manage that then you will be forever a grunt, no matter how much isk or skillpoints you have.

[mod edit]

lol, thats a stupid counterarguement.

Originally posted by stragen001

COMPLETELY biased review.

Of course,  but you wouldnt send a fat person to review mountain climbing would you?   You wouldnt ask someone with low intelligence or a low attention span to review chess!   You wouldnt ask a child his opinion on economics.

Of course Eve isnt going to apeal to people who "dont get it"  people who "cant get it"

Its no good sending someone like me.. who has been a gamer all his life to review WoW, because no matter how much I play wow I'm always going to hate the graphics.

Having someone review Eve who has already decided that he hate sci-fi and space ships is even more stupid than having someone who does already enjoy sci fi

Originally posted by sadeyx

Of course,  but you wouldnt send a fat person to review mountain climbing would you?   You wouldnt ask someone with low intelligence or a low attention span to review chess!   You wouldnt ask a child his opinion on economics.

Of course Eve isnt going to apeal to people who "dont get it"  people who "cant get it"

Its no good sending someone like me.. who has been a gamer all his life to review WoW, because no matter how much I play wow I'm always going to hate the graphics.

Having someone review Eve who has already decided that he hate sci-fi and space ships is even more stupid than having someone who does already enjoy sci fi

Doesn't mean that it's still unbiased.

You don't send a pro mountain climber to review mounting climbing either unless you are reviewing the mountain climbing experience for pro mountain climbers.

You wouldn't ask a pro chess players to review chess unless you were reviewing chess for pro chess players.

It's all about audience.

Since the audience on this website is very diverse, yes - this "review" should have been called an op-ed not a review unless they plan to also re-review from the opposite side of the fence.

If you read a review of EvE Online that CCP published, would you say it wasn't biased?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by sadeyx

I and others do agree on one thing and that until they do something about sucide ganking in 0.9 I will not be back or put in a PVE server. I could live with an on or off pvp option on current server.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

This  x1000

Stop believing your own propaganda.

By your rationale anyone who joins Eve after release is destined to lose.  Yet somehow most of the players are doing perfectly fine.  I started playing a full 6 years after release and I became a pretty good PvPer and retired with over 1,600 kills and a few billion ISK in my wallet.  Your rhetoric simply doesn't square with reality.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

I think its a pretty down to earth one and its better by a long shot than your "lol".

Now seriously, i'm not here to argue with the EVE fans.  I said what I had to say,  I'll move on.

Goodness a real live mature person, on the internet! :) well said sir o7

I agree, Im not a massive fan boy of Eve, It took me a very very long time to finally grasp the game and get my head around it. And even then, I only play it off an on. Not because of its flaws, but, well.. because I love many games. I love a good hack n slash, and good rpg and all sorts. any game which is well thought out and clever.

Ive played Eve off and on now for 7 years... and I still have probably only done about 50% of it. I just cant stand people who try it for a mere few months and think that they know anything at all about it. They dont, they physically cant! And actually I like the way Eve filters out these short sighted players.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I do this every time I review a game: not a fan boy/boi, just reviewing the game on its merits of what it is trying to achieve. It isn't trying to be solo-friendly, PvE centric or anything else that "turns" you off. Its genre criticism, and I subscribe to it. Sorry if it doesn't fit to your score, but you are more than allowed to post your own views and opinions, just stop trashing everyone else's.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I and others do agree on one thing and that until they do something about sucide ganking in 0.9 I will not be back or put in a PVE server. I could live with an on or off pvp option on current server.

I understand your feelings on this, Ive been ganked before too, and I am a carebear (for the most part)  But you have to remember that Eve is a sci-fi simulator,  so probably more people would agree that a 100% safe area is a bad idea, nowhere in eve is safe... and that simulates reality very well.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Eve is life.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Samhael

Well, at least the review at NO point even pretended to be impartial. I stopped wasting my time after I finished the second paragraph. 

Same.  No game deserves a 10/10.  And a 9/10 should be an extremely rare rating.  I give the credibility of this re-review a 2/10.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by tordurbar

You forgot to mention one critical point - EVE is pvp-centric. More specifically you can be attacked by other players anywhere. For an admitted care bear like me that is a game breaker. Yes, I do think that Eve deserves this score - it is a fantastic game. I enjoyed it for over 45 days. But after being ganked in 0.9 space twice I gave up. Yup I could not cut it. On to the next mmo.

The thing that non-consensual PvP need to survive, is unknowing care-bears like you.  Open World PvP is NOT about equally matched willing participants.  Its all about forcing unwilling and unprepared players to experience the durres of non-consensual PvP.  The only problem with this group of players has with battlegrounds is the preparedness and willingness of their opponents.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Originally posted by indiramourn

Originally posted by Samhael

Well, at least the review at NO point even pretended to be impartial. I stopped wasting my time after I finished the second paragraph. 

Same.  No game deserves a 10/10.  And a 9/10 should be an extremely rare rating.  I give the credibility of this re-review a 2/10.

but it IS a rare rating.

and there IS no other game that comes anywhere close to Eve.  Technically, even if you dont like the game at all.

The Engine, the graphics, the server technology is all completly bespoke, original with nothing like it available.

when mmo's go this big, the split up into several servers... but eve is one server.  That alone warrants a special clasification of its own.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    My take on EVE? It's a game that presents the player with a myriad of things to do, but the process of actually doing those things is quite mundane. The act of travelling, fighting, mining, training skills, completing missions, etc. is all very anti-climatic, to say the least.