Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Going F2P This Summer

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by someforumguy

I'm happy for the players that are playing Vanguard atm. I probably will log in coming summer to check my old toons.

EDIT : It just occurred to me that everytime I see another SOE MMO go F2P, I suddenly go 'what if SWG went F2P?' :(

it would have been a greater success than what it attempted with subscriptions... Dont know how successful was with subscription (never played) but obviously it would have been better as f2p like dcuo

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

AWESOME!!! now ill have something to play till AA comes out =)

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Tip of the day. 

SOE has triple station cash weekends and double weekends more often.   

Go to walmart spend 60$ on station cash cards you get 18000 station cash (1 month of gold is 1500)  SO you get a year of GOLD for any of their games for just over $4 a month.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Sadly $oe will no doubt use the same or simlar free to login but not play as they did with eq1 and eq2. Despite all the proclamations of this being the bestest game evah by the hundred or so vanguard diehards,the game is still buggy as hell and wont appeal to most long enough to get a sub out of them. If they can gouge enough people and actually put some of that cash(fat chance) back into vg it may get to an acceptable level in a couple years.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Good news to me... The only thing keeping me from playing this is the low pop.  I will play it day 1 of free to play.

Honestly thats probably better for me right now because I am low on time.  Hopefully the cash shop will help me make up for that a bit.

I agree with the poster who says 'this is the only game I'll play until AA comes out'.  Well, I suppose theres minecraft, I would also like to try GW2 and D3, and the SWG community may have a big server change sometime this year so...

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by William12

Tip of the day. 

SOE has triple station cash weekends and double weekends more often.   

Go to walmart spend 60$ on station cash cards you get 18000 station cash (1 month of gold is 1500)  SO you get a year of GOLD for any of their games for just over $4 a month.

Would you only spend the cash on in-game items during those weekends...?  Or do you just convert the card to station cash on those weekends and get triple the cash?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I played Vanguard in beta...While it had some cool stuff (especially tradeskills), it also had some terrible gamebreaking issues......It was as unstable of a game as I have ever seen.....Im sure many of the issues have been fixed, but like many of you I wonder if it isn't too late.....Even so going f2p is the only thing that can save it.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

This is HUGE news , Vanguard not only has good quests, challenging and great combat, great crafting, wide open world, and it has one thing no other mmo has and that is Diplomacy. This will bring back large amounts of people and that has always been Vanguards problem,  not many people cause of the technical problems it had when it started. I dont know what took Sony so long to see that this is a potential money maker on the F2P market and it will make alot of people very happy

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

Brilliant!. VG is a great game and needs the population. This will make VG viable and give me another  great game to jump into. Good on you SOE. You finally did something right ;)

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Good news: It's F2P, bad news: It's using the same stupid Concept of Microtransaction like Everquest 2, you won't get far without paying a cent.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It was just a question of time, all SOEs games are going F2P.

Unlike EQ2 this was the right decision, hopefully will it mke more people try out VG since it is a pretty good game.

EQ2 already had enough subs to do fine and they implemented the cashshop so badly that it instead turned me and my friends off the game.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Best MMO news I've heard in a long time.  This will bring in players and revenue so they can afford a development team and active development again.  Will hit this up when it goes f2p.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

There is a reason why no one plays this game... 

So many people talk about how good it is, but they don't play it O.o

Honestly, I think it might have good IDEAS but the actual game itself just isn't good.  RIFT is a great example of a brand new IP that had NO following and nothing to bring players in other than the game itself.  And look at RIFT still going strong with a solid player base.

Vanguard had a lot more pull and possible fan base than many of the no-name MMO's being released and it fell flat on its face.  Sadly, no matter how good people SAY vanguard is.  The fact that no one actually plays the game shows how things really are.

Hell, SWTOR had Bioware and Starwars behind it, just about everything you should need to be a strong game with massive player base and while it isn't dead, no one would say the game is doing well when compared to RIFT or WoW...

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by darkedone02

Good news: It's F2P, bad news: It's using the same stupid Concept of Microtransaction like Everquest 2, you won't get far without paying a cent.

Maybe if it'll just get some people through the door they might consider subscribing.  I'd love to see it thrive, but you rarely get a second chance in gaming and this genre specifically.

Vanguard is a big game with a lot to offer.  Sadly, without having people to do that stuff with, you will never see it.  I really hope this changes that.

The diplomacy system was really interesting to me.  MMOs need more systems like this that aren't related to what is expected of the genre (dungeons, raids, PvP, crafting, etc.).

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Looking forward to this. I played extensively in beta and while generally impressed it wasn't where I thought it needed to put even more time into it. Hopefully this transition will really turn things around for Vanguard.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Marchosias31

This is big news actually, wow......

I always liked this game. Worth checking out......The only thing?

Pvp??

None...................and no, dueling isnt pvp....

If it did have pvp, this game would of been epic...........

The game did have good pvp but when SOE took over the development of the game they got rid of the RP-PvP servers and made them all open PvP ones. I went to a normal RP-PvE server as the open pvp ones you was attacked by anyone and everyone.

Good news about it going f2p love this game and its crafting system was one of the best out there.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Yes! Great news <3!

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Finally some f2p worthy of trying. 

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Painlezz

There is a reason why no one plays this game... 

So many people talk about how good it is, but they don't play it O.o

Honestly, I think it might have good IDEAS but the actual game itself just isn't good.  RIFT is a great example of a brand new IP that had NO following and nothing to bring players in other than the game itself.  And look at RIFT still going strong with a solid player base.

Vanguard had a lot more pull and possible fan base than many of the no-name MMO's being released and it fell flat on its face.  Sadly, no matter how good people SAY vanguard is.  The fact that no one actually plays the game shows how things really are.

Hell, SWTOR had Bioware and Starwars behind it, just about everything you should need to be a strong game with massive player base and while it isn't dead, no one would say the game is doing well when compared to RIFT or WoW...

the majority of people who do not play it that have played it before is because of the lack of support sony gave this game..this has nothing to do with how good or bad a game is..when you see no patches or development of the game there is only one way it will go..downhill.

what i will say is that it took sony a hell of a long time to make this f2p,which in my view was stupid.time will tell if peeps will play this.but if you are sick to death of the easy,peasy games then try this.and btw this is a fantastic game imo and a lot of others.just never been given the chance to shine because of lack of updates.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

May try Vanguard, but...

though I loved the Freeport server and how SOE managed EQ2 Extended, they really got greedy when they fully switched to ftp on all servers with the AoD expansion.

EQ1's ftp roll out is a nightmare, as ftp you can't even 'unlock' gear to proceed to end game, you are actually forced to sub if you want to play at that level. ('Free to Play...Your Way', that's the title of that release, seriously, lol). I have never seen a more restrictive ftp game in 5 years.

So I have serious reservations on what they are going to do with Vanguard, but I'll keep an eye out. No chance I'll be there first day though, no matter what is said officially, because on this last EQ1 roll out, everything they said officially, they lied about, lol.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

I will give a try. i used to play a lv 45 priest.

i stopped long ago mainly because i disliked their game engine with horrible clipping and fps fall in big city or even when opening a door...

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Marchosias31

This is big news actually, wow......

I always liked this game. Worth checking out......The only thing?

Pvp??

None...................and no, dueling isnt pvp....

If it did have pvp, this game would of been epic...........

You do not need pvp in a game.  Just look at the marketplace, the pve games all have far larger audiences.  Even Wow's pvp servers are all low population servers these days.  Yeah, if you are a pvp enjoyer, then this game is not for you, but then you are just a small minority in the larger scheme of things.

I think this is a great move by SOE.  I think Vanguard will become popular again.  I know I will play it.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Amazing news. i am so happy!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if they address the terribad animations in one of these content updates, i'm in :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins