Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet clarifies Cash Shop

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

:-(  What a sad week for GW2.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ambvaiambvai Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by DarkPony

- Transmutation Stones (combining two items, new bonusses)

[Edited for brevity]

I was under the impression that the transmutation stone was a way to combine the stats of one item with the appearance of another. I've got a Shiny Sword of Dullness and a Cardboard Sword of Huge Stats... by using the stone, I can end up with a Shiny Sword of Huge Stats. (Or vice versa, if you swapped the order accidentally, I guess.)

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Bunks

Here is a incomlete list price is in gems

12 slot bag - 300gems

Character slot- 800

Asuran Bank portal- 35

Carnival Ringmaster hat-200

Cooks outfit-700

Craft boost-150

Dye Box-150

Exp boost-150

Transmutation stone-50

Fine Transmutation stone-100

Magic find boost(chance to get rare items found)

Karma Boost-75

Scholars outfit-300

Pirate mate outfit-700

Instant repair kit-70

Perffect salvage kit-35

Ressurect Orb-250

Loot bag -70

Magic plant food- 120

Megaphone -75

mystic key-120

this is all so far

I really wish people would stop making wild speculative posts about what these items will mean for the actual game. Without context YOU DO NOT KNOW. We don't know if there are similar items ingame. We don't know what their exact function is. 

Let's take a few

Resurrection Orb: 1) Is it to insta res yourself? 2) to insta res someone else? 3) to res entire group?

Instant repair Kit: 1) Does it repair 1 item fully in one go? 2) Does it repair everything?

Mystic key: 1) Is it a special skeleton key? 2) Is it a normal key but with more uses? 3) Is it for special chests only?

I can go on for a while, but freaking out over this is moronic at this point.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by Corehaven

Few thing stand out to me that are alarming on that list:

mystic key - Seriously, we're gonna have lock boxes that cannot be opened without one of these? Seems like complete bullshit to me.

Magic found boost - Also incredibly lame for obvious reasons

Instant repair kit - You gotta be fucking kidding me. This out of all seems the most ridiculous

Perfect salvage kit - Sounds incredibly reminiscent of many f2p games that have this and if you don't use one ends up giving you shit the majority of the time

Megaphone - Why is this even needed? Is it an aestheic item of are they going to pull that bullshit where you have to use a megaphone to talk cross zone or world?

12 loot bag - Better be feasible to get these in game outside of those that want to prep out from the word go.

Gotta say, I don't feel near as comfortable with their cash shop with this revelation as I did before. Some of these seem perfectly reasonable while others appear to be complete bullshit.

Hope they use the beta to rethink or revamp some of these.

Okay Ive defended it this evening but I have to agree.  Im no longer comfortable either.   Some of these will only be profitable if the main game is lacking and you need to buy them for a boost! 

I was going to buy expansions and the game itself.  I dont buy cash shop crap. 

Maybe since we can buy or earn gems in game this will all work itself out regardless but some of these items I really dont like that they're there.  Its troubling. 

The Resurrect Orb seems questionable as well but from the title of it hard to gauge what it will do overall in comparison to not using one so could be a worry as well. I gotta say least initially some of this shit seems ridiculous. We'll see how it plays out though.

I have issues with the others as well, but the resurrect orb just create problems...LF1M (Must have res orbs and repair kits)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by ambvai

[Edited for brevity]

I was under the impression that the transmutation stone was a way to combine the stats of one item with the appearance of another. I've got a Shiny Sword of Dullness and a Cardboard Sword of Huge Stats... by using the stone, I can end up with a Shiny Sword of Huge Stats. (Or vice versa, if you swapped the order accidentally, I guess.)

You are right. Didn't read that on properly. Thanks.

• ambvaiambvai Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Connmacart

I really wish people would stop making wild speculative posts about what these items will mean for the actual game. Without context YOU DO NOT KNOW. We don't know if there are similar items ingame. We don't know what their exact function is. 

Let's take a few

Resurrection Orb: 1) Is it to insta res yourself? 2) to insta res someone else? 3) to res entire group?

Instant repair Kit: 1) Does it repair 1 item fully in one go? 2) Does it repair everything?

Mystic key: 1) Is it a special skeleton key? 2) Is it a normal key but with more uses? 3) Is it for special chests only?

Well- info from Rather Believable Sources answer [or 'very strongly imply'] most of those questions, at least for the current beta.

What it means for 'the actual game', assuming what it launches with as opposed beta... who knows.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

12 slot bag - 300gems

Character slot- 800

Asuran Bank portal- 35

Cooks outfit-700

Craft boost-150

Dye Box-150

Exp boost-150

Transmutation stone-50

Karma Boost-75

Scholars outfit-300

Pirate mate outfit-700

Instant repair kit-70

Perffect salvage kit-35

Ressurect Orb-250

Loot bag -70

Magic plant food- 120

Megaphone -75

mystic key-120

this is all so far

Let's take a few

I highly doubt anyone is "freaking out" but if you can't see how that list leads some to speculate how things may unfold upon launch then I'm not sure what to tell you. Not a hard jump to see how some items if left in play will be if you have encountered them in other games, seen how much gold comes from the ample videos out there, and the comparable gem cost for the item.

If anyone seems to be jumping to conclusions frankly from your response it is you based on what has been made available.

I doubt most are looking for their pitchforks but seems perfectly reasonable to me that this would raise some eyebrows.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

mystic key - Seriously, we're gonna have lock boxes that cannot be opened without one of these? Seems like complete bullshit to me.

Instant repair kit - You gotta be fucking kidding me. This out of all seems the most ridiculous

Perfect salvage kit - Sounds incredibly reminiscent of many f2p games that have this and if you don't use one ends up giving you shit the majority of the time

Megaphone - Why is this even needed? Is it an aestheic item of are they going to pull that bullshit where you have to use a megaphone to talk cross zone or world?

12 loot bag - Better be feasible to get these in game outside of those that want to prep out from the word go.

Gotta say, I don't feel near as comfortable with their cash shop with this revelation as I did before. Some of these seem perfectly reasonable while others appear to be complete bullshit.

Umphf, yeah. All kinds of RNG stuff too:

There isn't any RNG or bonuses in transmutation stones and there never has been. Do your basic research.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

- Loot Bags (the hard core gambler can get 5 or 10 for a discount

Any loot obtainable from this is still available in game.Yes it's something to be wary of but it isn't something that's gamebreaking.

- Mystic key

This is only a problem if it's not available in the game and ArenaNet did say everything in the shop was available in the game.

- Dye Box

Dyes are purely cosmetic and are obtainable in game.

- Minis (?)

They're mini-pets. 'Nuff said.

- Perfect Salvage Kits ..

Don't see anything wrong with this. It's completely possibly to go from level 1 to 80 without ever needing to repair your armor and even then it's cheap as it is.

All of those yield random stuff results.

GambleWars2 anyone?

Hardly.

Apparently also more gear oriented that people said it would be.

Once again: hardly. There is still a gear plateau so there won't be anybody with über 1337 gear.

Makes sense because GW1 had this built in "quest for the best bonusses" as well.

Not surprised to see you of all people jumping to conclusions. And ill-informed and poorly thought out ones at that.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Make a POLL and send it to Arenanet:

What do you want:

A - Wallet player Pay2Win?

B - Real actually playing player Play2Win?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

12 slot bag - 300gems

Character slot- 800

Asuran Bank portal- 35

Cooks outfit-700

Craft boost-150

Dye Box-150

Exp boost-150

Transmutation stone-50

Karma Boost-75

Scholars outfit-300

Pirate mate outfit-700

Instant repair kit-70

Perffect salvage kit-35

Ressurect Orb-250

Loot bag -70

Magic plant food- 120

Megaphone -75

mystic key-120

this is all so far

Let's take a few

Actually from the screenshots that are on guru the mystic key is for the cardassian lock boxes that drop randomly throughout the world.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

People tend to forget a few things:

- various types of salvage kits are already existing in GW1 and no matter what type you are using you can get either crap or something good with barely any difference.

If the perfect one should have a higher percentage of success so be it. Nothing game breaking there in my opinion cause no matter what none of these items are effecting the pvp side of the game.

- instant repair kits might be available in game but more rare so people have the choice to either get them in game or use the trading system to get them from the shop OR buy them directly from the shop.

No matter what, by the waypoints possibility, you can still travel fast to a npc and get your stuff repaired there.

No real nessecity there.

- a ressurection orb might be helpful when you are soloing and don't wanna travel back (lazyness?) so it's only a small time saver for people that don't wanna travel back in a few clicks.

- boost stuff are present in GW1 and work in PvE for a limited time only, giving bonuses for like 10 to 30 minutes and I don't see a difference on these ones.

With the leveling line the game has and with the option to be scaled up on level 80 automatically or sidekick system, the xp boost doesn't make much sense anyway.

It's just an option to help people that can play only at weekends or only like 1-2 times a week.

For a normal or a hardcore player not needed at all.

- The items you can buy with Kama are untradeable and doesn't give you  ANY advantages in pvp again so I don't understand why people complain about the kama boost either.

To me it looks that they added such things for people that can't play much so they can progress faster in their limited game time, not for a normal or a hardcore player that plays several hours daily.

- the keys for the "mystery boxes" sounds like the keys in gw1 that you can buy from npcs aswell.

Mystery or not, most purple or gold items that dropped out of these boxes weren't worth the key in the first place so it was more for people that like to gamble or are too curious what a box holds. Nothing nessecary either.

Even if these boxes would drop some extra items that are only available through the box, they could be untradeable.

If they should be tradeable then you would still be able to buy them from the market after they popped up there by someone who got them out of a box.

Bottom line: none of these items will give you super gear or something that gives you advantages in pvp like they already stated MANY times.

I could care less if someone hits level 80 faster than I did in pve cause at the time they are rushing through the game using these items, I will be enjoying the world exploring everything and experiencing far more than they did.

They of course have the chance to go back again but their level will be reduced so... not a real time saver there. ^_^

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Raekon

No...they aren't. Most here aren't saying doom and gloom just commenting on what is being made available least potentially. Lot of maybes from both sides really on how this would play out but to discount either opinion is simply futlie at this point.

This game is not going to play the same way as GW. They have made that very clear. Not sure why some think that simply applies to gameplay and not what is made available via RMT as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by romanator0

Umphf, yeah. All kinds of RNG stuff too:

There isn't any RNG or bonuses in transmutation stones and there never has been. Do your basic research.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

- Loot Bags (the hard core gambler can get 5 or 10 for a discount

Any loot obtainable from this is still available in game.Yes it's something to be wary of but it isn't something that's gamebreaking.

- Mystic key

This is only a problem if it's not available in the game and ArenaNet did say everything in the shop was available in the game.

- Dye Box

Dyes are purely cosmetic and are obtainable in game.

- Minis (?)

They're mini-pets. 'Nuff said.

- Perfect Salvage Kits ..

Don't see anything wrong with this. It's completely possibly to go from level 1 to 80 without ever needing to repair your armor and even then it's cheap as it is.

All of those yield random stuff results.

GambleWars2 anyone?

Hardly.

Apparently also more gear oriented that people said it would be.

Once again: hardly. There is still a gear plateau so there won't be anybody with über 1337 gear.

Makes sense because GW1 had this built in "quest for the best bonusses" as well.

Not surprised to see you of all people jumping to conclusions. And ill-informed and poorly thought out ones at that.

I already editted the post to reflect my Transmutation Stone misconception. It seems we were both wrong on Perfect Salvage Kits too, as it yields mats, rather than new bonusses (which I had wrong) but it doesn't repair your stuff either, like you suggest.

Still leaves a few RNG'ish things, though. Wonder how many people will contract Lootbagitis.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Let's take a few

Some will never get it, what better time is there to bring up concerns? Right now is the time to make your voice heard, why do you think they're testing this stuff in game soon? They want feedback on these things now, as it's when they can best use it. Hence the blogs/posts on the topic...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

I guess the mystic key will work like the chest keys in gw1, if you dont have that key you wont be able to loot chests around the world. And they was sold by npc and could be found as drop, it was expensive to buy fom the npc in gw1 when you was leveling. So you couldt just stack a ton of em.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Raekon

No...they aren't. Most here aren't saying doom and gloom just commenting on what is being made available least potentially. Lot of maybes from both sides really on how this would play out but to discount either opinion is simply futlie at this point.

This game is not going to play the same way as GW. They have made that very clear. Not sure why some think that simply applies to gameplay and not what is made available via RMT as well.

Check through the forums and you will see that there are quite a few people out there that never bothered to read through all the informative Stickies of this or other forums because all they cared was to just jump into a thread and crash it or starting unessecary topics that have either been clarified or discussed several times only to spread their own negativity.

I fully agree that we all have yet to see how things are playing out but in my opinion there is NO P2W in this game for the mere fact that in PvP no one will get advantages through the item shop or through extra gear like in so called P2W games.

If the item shop gives indeed the option to someone with very limited game time to catch up on leveling or finances (xp or gold boost) then its good for these persons and even better for us cause these persons will be also trading some of their gems to get in game stuff not available to the item shop.

This gives us the possibility to get some gems and buy this "cool costume" we wanted without having to buy gems at all.

It's a circle that benefits everyone.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

hmmm yes, that was a very bad thing for them to say at this point. Without knowing what they will be selling in the cash shop it can easily be viewed in a negative way towards the whole PTW thing. They should have waited until they had proof to back up their 'no gear treadmill' concept.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

After everything Turbine has gone back on with regard to LOTRO store purchases, I don't believe ANet/NCSoft.

Apparently MMOs can't make a profit just selling a box and expansions.  They are not the developer we are looking for.

That's like saying all MMOs will suck because SOE constantly ruins MMO titles and shows contempt for their customers. How can you judge Arenanet/NCSoft based on Turbine? Besides, Turbine changed hands, so it's not surprising that they went back on what they stated previously. It also doesn't mean that the original F2P design when the game transitioned was flawed, the changes may prove less profitable.

GW1 may not have been a full MMO, but they made a profit on the B2P + Expansions model with out a fully developed cash shop. GW2 is many times the game GW1 was. It may just be one of the best MMORPGs since WoW hit the scene.

It's the right game, with the right business model, by the right developer.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Anet stated numerous times they wont sell Pay to Win items....

I believe them. end off

Will they sell alot of stuff like exp scrolls, wicked armors, Crafting mats ? i think so yes, does it hurt me in any way ?

Nope i can farm currency and buy it off the auction house or if i realy want it BUY it myself to SUPPORT Arenanet. ! Blashemy isnt it ?

Supporting a gaming studio who dont ask for a monthly fee...god how dare they sell things in an item shop...

Crawl back to WoW or Rift or Aion or Warhammer or SWTOR and pay up each month, while myself will play GW2 without a sub and from time to time buy something i realy want.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Mothanos

Anet stated numerous times they wont sell Pay to Win items....

I believe them. end off

Will they sell alot of stuff like exp scrolls, wicked armors, Crafting mats ? i think so yes, does it hurt me in any way ?

Nope i can farm currency and buy it off the auction house or if i realy want it BUY it myself to SUPPORT Arenanet. ! Blashemy isnt it ?

Supporting a gaming studio who dont ask for a monthly fee...god how dare they sell things in an item shop...

Crawl back to WoW or Rift or Aion or Warhammer or SWTOR and pay up each month, while myself will play GW2 without a sub and from time to time buy something i realy want.

Ahem, sorry Aion is free to play with a cash shop now ;)

Lolipops !

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Depends if you are from Europe or USA brother :)

But in essence your right Aion is going free to play.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

With the statements Anet has released they can sell anything they want whenever they want,Lets hope that in 1 year after  launch the game hasn't changed its whole game mechanics to a gear treadmill because you can buy it all in the cash shop.Basically they are testing the water to see players reactions.I think they will be going against thier word and selling power items pretty quickly.

Edit: Cosmetic items,extra character slots,bag/bank space,server transfers,name change,expansions,sex change/makeovers.Any of these I have absolutly no problem with,others I do.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Mothanos

Depends if you are from Europe or USA brother :)

But in essence your right Aion is going free to play.

Aion has been F2P since end of february. kind of makes it cheaper than GW2 as there is no box price,  after all, both Aion and GW2 have cash shops.image

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Everyone is focused on Pay-To-Win.  It may not be that.

But what if it turns out to be that you have to Pay-More-Than-You-Thought-You-Would in order to get the full experience and content of the game?

THe Cash Shop doesn't have to be mandatory. But if it's just there naging at you becuse the game is designed ever so subtly different than it would have been had there not been a plan for it in the game.

Sure, you can go play the game how you want. But it's going to be noticeable without the Cash Shop.

Even if you never spend a dime, you will watch otheres that do. Your game is ever so slightly more frustrating than theirs. Just ever so slightly. Not really big enough to ruin the game for you.

But its just enough to keep that cash shop just scratching at the edge of your awareness while you play.

And that right there is where it gets ruined.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

"...so it doesn’t really matter what is in the store, as it is also available for players who play and don’t want to spend additional money."

Wow, thats some serious "clarification" there. image

I hope she didnt really realized what she said there, because if thats actually their stance on the cash shop now, then its f@acked up completely. They could put dungeon gear and all the best and rarest drops, crafting mats, practically EVERYTHING could be put in there and it "doesn't really matter" since people could buy it with gold indirectly.

It would cheapen the whole game.

How could they go out with a "clarificaton" that just makes everything more confusing?

I'll have to wait for some more (and BETTER) clarification on this. image