Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet clarifies Cash Shop

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Leucent

I think it s funny watching all these people get all excited over really nothing. The system looks like all win to me.

We don't have all of  the details, while it's a little early to flip out, it's also way to early to say it's all win..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Distopia

I think it s funny watching all these people get all excited over really nothing. The system looks like all win to me.

We don't have all of  the details, while it's a little early to flip out, it's also way to early to say it's all win..

Fair enough, but I don t take gaming as serious as some people I guess. I love gaming, I play alot of games, but I don t freak out over something we know really nothing about, and well games in general.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Because they haven't dropped the bomb yet.

Damn, you have inside info, do tell.

It's exactly because we DO NOT have all the details.

Honestly. How can people in this forum see the announcement of a cash shop and say "ALL WIN!"? When it really should be "To what degree is this a fail?" Hopefully to a lesser

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

How can you have your cake and eat it too?

How can on one hand you say that what ever is available from the shop won't really have much impact on the game while on the other hand not have a completely lame game that has little to no point?

Depends on your definition of impact.

Convenience items like xp boosts save you a little time getting things. But someone else will get there without them, maybe just a few days slower. If time is your most valued currency, this impacts you. For many it will not.

Vanity items impact your looks. If how you look is more important than actually playing the game, cash shop vanity items impact you. For many it will not.

However, the items from what Anet has been saying, will not provide other players with any substantial increase in power to where a player with them can dominate pve/pvp content, and a player without them has no chance. Think (cause I haven't said this 15 times already) of League of Legends. Their cash shop conveys little to nothing that will impact whether you can fight effecitvely or (more importantly) if you and your team can work together to win. It's just stuff for fun. Also, in a similar fashion, it's possible to earn cash shop points by playing the game (albeit slower). So anyone can ahve those same items, some just get them faster. Reference my first point about time. 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I find it funny watching all these people try to twist logic every which way in order to avoid admitting a cash shop system is turning out to be pay to win. Call a spade a spade.
  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Honestly. How can people in this forum see the announcement of a cash shop and say "ALL WIN!"?

The same way people in this forum see the announcement of a cash shop and say P2W.

Honestly. How can people in this forum see the announcement of a cash shop and say "ALL WIN!"?

You can pay or not? Seems all win to me. We have choice, strange people would like that. Get used to it, MMOs are not going to be sub games soon enough. I personally like it.

Fair enough, but I don t take gaming as serious as some people I guess. I love gaming, I play alot of games, but I don t freak out over something we know really nothing about, and well games in general.

You are freaking out over the thought that the cash shop might be pay to win before you have enough information to be sure, that is taking gaming very seriously.
  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by RefMinor

I find it funny watching all these people try to twist logic every which way in order to avoid admitting a cash shop system is turning out to be pay to win. Call a spade a spade.

If you can prove it, I'll call it a spade.

Untill I get more info, I'm going to give Anet the benifit of the doubt.

Lol, I guess I don t care enough if someone buys what I can accomplish by playing. I also think it won t be P2W, but whatever, we can t say whos right until it s released. So why try to argue that point.

You can pay or not? Seems all win to me. We have choice, strange people would like that. Get used to it, MMOs are not going to be sub games soon enough. I personally like it.

It's only all win if you pay, thats the point once you get past cosmetic items.

I think you are missing the point of what Pay to Win is.. Not that I am saying Pay to Win in GW2, I am saying I despise cash shops. But back to the point.

In a Cash Shop it's not about you. It's about the other guy. He's using the cash shop extensively.

You are freaking out over the thought that the cash shop might be pay to win before you have enough information to be sure, that is taking gaming very seriously.

Lol, not at all, I said nothing of the sort. Actually I said I could care less, not really freaking out.

I think you are missing the point of what Pay to Win is.. Not that I am saying Pay to Win in GW2, I am saying I despise cash shops. But back to the point.

In a Cash Shop it's not about you. It's about the other guy. He's using the cash shop extensively.

I m fully aware of what P2W is, and I m saying I could care less what other people do with their time and money. If I can play it my way, I don t care whay Joe Blow buys from a cash shop.

Lol, not at all, I said nothing of the sort. Actually I said I could care less, not really freaking out.

I am taking it serious enough to know that I don't trust ANY company (Even ANET...I mean NCSoft) when they try to downplay what will be in the cash shop. I have seen it before. Sorry. I'm not buying that one again.

I have seen the announcements. "We won't sell Power" "We will focus on social items" and then you see total pay to win mechanics. Oh, the itmes in the shop may or may not be "WIN" items. But they work with systems in the game so that players want/need them in some way that sets up a P2W model. Very subtley. What looks like harmless or at least not so major items really is.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I am taking it serious enough to know that I don't trust ANY company (Even ANET...I mean NCSoft) when they try to downplay what will be in the cash shop. I have seen it before. Sorry. I'm not buying that one again.

I have seen the announcements. "We won't sell Power" "We will focus on social items" and then you see total pay to win mechanics. Oh, the itmes in the shop may or may not be "WIN" items. But they work with systems in the game so that players want/need them in some way that sets up a P2W model. Very subtley. What looks like harmless or at least not so major items really is.

Healthy skepticism is a good thing. I'm keeping my own in until we see exactly what is being offered, and understand how it will impact the game. 

Unreasoning panic and potentially false accusations are a different matter. And not saying you're doing those things; just seeing a lot of it in these threads.

Originally posted by terrant

Healthy skepticism is a good thing. I'm keeping my own in until we see exactly what is being offered, and understand how it will impact the game. 

Unreasoning panic and potentially false accusations are a different matter. And not saying you're doing those things; just seeing a lot of it in these threads.

It's my experience that keeps my skeptical. I am not offended if you say I am accusing. I very well may be. I try not to, but I won't deny my hatred for this revenue model. It's not because it's a game, but because they are inherantly designed to suck you in and separate you from your own money. I got burned by a subscritption based game that introduced a full fledged shop and destroyed that game....Well, what was left of it.

For me CS=guilty until proven innocent. Especially since they haven't come out and openly listed te contents of what they are selling. That means they are still hiding something....Thus my comment earlier about the bomb.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Just keep the things advertised as limited actually BE limited in your cash shop.

I am ok with buying some "limited stuff", but don´t advertise it as such and then sell it for years to go.

Because then it is scam, no matter how many people shout "ololo fluff".

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    You negative nancies are worse than lawyers trying to split hairs.

It's simple, anet has clarified multiple times that there will be no advantage. In plain English. You can go ahead and try to re-interpret it however you like, from information that you don't have. But it doesn't hold a candle to what anet has said more than once.

Why not simply wait to judge if they are true to their word by seeing what is in the cash shop? Or are you really chomping at the bit hoping it is really bad?

Pathetic, either way.
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by dudeduder45

Originally posted by Soki123

OMG who the fuck cares. It s a game, it s not giving an advantage, and even if it did are you going to keel over and die . I m so sick of the whiny peopel that todays society has sprouted.

and I'm tired of people who are willing to bend over and take whatever is coming their way.

What?  Bending over for what?  Anyone who has ever paid attention to GW2 knew from the beginning they'd have a cash shop.  It was always a given.  Now they've revealed that cash shop items can be gotten in others ways than having to pay cash.  So its a psuedo cash shop. 

So now?  Instead of the game having a cash shop outright, it has a partial cash shop, where you can pay cash, or you can get the items by not paying. 

So congratulations.  You're angry over GOOD news.  

I'll also add they've said repeatedly theres only services sold there (character renames etc), and cosmetics.   If they add any kind of Pay to Win stuff, then there's reason to throw a fuss.  But as it stands now?  There's absolutely no reason.  Unless of course you just like fussing and find it entertaining to be ticked off about absolutely nothing. 

Originally posted by Thupli

You negative nancies are worse than lawyers trying to split hairs. It's simple, anet has clarified multiple times that there will be no advantage. In plain English. You can go ahead and try to re-interpret it however you like, from information that you don't have. But it doesn't hold a candle to what anet has said more than once. Why not simply wait to judge if they are true to their word by seeing what is in the cash shop? Or are you really chomping at the bit hoping it is really bad? Pathetic, either way.

Bingo, yet entertaining.

You negative nancies are worse than lawyers trying to split hairs. It's simple, anet has clarified multiple times that there will be no advantage. In plain English. You can go ahead and try to re-interpret it however you like, from information that you don't have. But it doesn't hold a candle to what anet has said more than once. Why not simply wait to judge if they are true to their word by seeing what is in the cash shop? Or are you really chomping at the bit hoping it is really bad? Pathetic, either way.

If only I haven't seen that very arguement before.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

So instead lets get mad about entirely false assumptions with absolutely nothing to back them up.   So no matter what Anet says, or how clear they try to make it, we'll just assume they are lying outright (for no reason) and fuss about something that doesnt actually exist. 

What a fun game!  I haven't played this one before!  Anet will probably also require everyone to pay a sub fee after 3 months!  Oh and they'll wipe your game character if you dont pay 25 bucks when you hit max level!  Also, Anet is notorious for kicking dogs repeatedly before giving them chocolate to eat.  

Its just all so horrible! 

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

It's not an argument.

Unlike you, I dont use conjecture and pretend that I know what the items are that are in the cash shope, and that the items in the cash shop will imbalance the game.  Double logical leap there. 

There are plenty of games with cash shops, even WOW, that have no problems whatsoever.  There are also games with cash shop systems like GW2 with no problems either.

So until you know what the details are, it's pointless to claim that you know. 

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Master_M2K

*sigh* They should have left this alone until they could show some of the items in the cash shop. Now people will jump on this and do exactly what you said Kyleran. I guess Rubi is new to this whole PR thing.

Yea this really doesn't add anything new that hasn't already been pointed out on these forums more articulately.  People are going to want examples.  Anet & their CR's know that Examples are what people want.  And with that in mind they might as well not bother with any analogies or simplfications either.... just show the most egregious stuff like Mercantile/Banker summons,  instant Trait resets, Consumables, and of course XP & Influence boosters.  ...all that convenience stuff that qualifies as "Pay to be Lazier" or helps with certain titles and Economic-PvP.