Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Going F2P This Summer

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

this is fantastic news..now lets see how many get drawn in by this game..nothing else like it out there atm.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Great news !

• PsycroatPsycroat Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I also liked vanguard but was put off by its lack of players. Too late sony. Now how about you EA? *cough* warhammer.

~If you run, you'll only die tired~

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I thought Vanguard was a ton of fun when I tried it out.  Like someone else mentioned, it wasn't worth the monthly sub to play due to it being all but abandoned.

While this F2P change is tempting, I just finished with EQ2 and I have no desire to go back to a SOE game until Dave Georgeson "Smokejumper" leaves the building.  He has been the worst Exec Producer in SOE's history, and his actions and antics have driven people away from SOE products in droves.  He is the quintessential snake oil salesman.

Yes, he will oversee Vanguard as well and get his greasy fingers into its machinations.

SOE will never see another penny from me due to how Dave turned EQ2 from a classy game into a Cash Shop centric, cheapened mess. 

Then, there is the entire ongoing debacle with how the EU customers are being treated and ignored.  SOE's customer relations, their silence tactics to ignore the playerbase, and the general contempt they've always had guarantee them a special place in my heart.  They've permanently lost many, many players recently over what is going on over there.

• LinkofpowerLinkofpower Member UncommonPosts: 27
    You know I was just thinking this as I was reading about eq going f2p, I love vanguard, but the last dev post or announcement was july of last year, and there are months between player posts, and not much point in playing an mmo with a community that small. But with the release stigmata old players won't pay money to try it, and new players don't know it exists.. f2p and a renewed dev base means new content.

I mean as a game vanguard had innovative classes, a strong crafting system, and the diplomacy system which is a creature unto itself.. its what every wow player was looking for in tor and rift, but didn't get.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Glad to see the official confirmation for this one, although I'm still wary of what they'll do with the F2P model. I'd prefer if they avoided the EQ1/EQ2 model with the whole limiting you from the get go with race and class combinations.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • KhorraxKhorrax Member UncommonPosts: 53

I've heard a lot of good things about the game, so this is great news. But I suspect the business model will follow that of EQ2, in which case I'm not that interested.

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157

I was in the open? beta and bought the game. I only went back twice, but the lack of players is the reason I never stayed. The game is great. Hope it's going to be successful.

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

Cool beans!  I have tried this game a few times over the years but left due to no one really around.

This will be interesting to see how this shapes up!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

This is sweet. 

Vanguard has always been one of my favorites. And although I am not a huge fan of free-to-play, it can only mean good things for this game as you KNOW the population is going to rise.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Well, I suppose this is good if it gets more development, more people into the game, etc.

Looking at how EQ2 did Free to Play I'll just continue the subscription.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I'm happy for the players that are playing Vanguard atm. I probably will log in coming summer to check my old toons.

EDIT : It just occurred to me that everytime I see another SOE MMO go F2P, I suddenly go 'what if SWG went F2P?' :(

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

one thing stands out reading the posts here..just about everyone wants to get stuck into this game..but why oh why did it take sony this long ?

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

YEEEEESSS!

Am I reading wrong? No....it's a dream coming true! Finally!

THIS news and GW2 release date are the once I have been waiting for, for so long! 

Thank you SOE, best move ever!

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Perhaps sign in and buy a plot of land before it all becomes overcrowded!

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Neither EQ1 or EQ2 is worth playing F2P mode because it is too restrictive. I understand they have to be somewhat restrictive, but they go overboard in ways that make you gimp as fuck.

I would love to play Vanguard F2P if it doesn't go overboard, and I'd even spend money on it if the population has a resurgence after the switch.

• NaokNaok Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Jimmac

Neither EQ1 or EQ2 is worth playing F2P mode because it is too restrictive. I understand they have to be somewhat restrictive, but they go overboard in ways that make you gimp as fuck.

I would love to play Vanguard F2P if it doesn't go overboard, and I'd even spend money on it if the population has a resurgence after the switch.

My thoughts exactly. 

But i'm still excited. Loved Vanguard.

The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best - and therefore never scrutinize or question.

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I like this game. In fact, I still have a subscription. Who knew? Like others, I find it difficult to logon because of the low populations. If this generates interest, I might pay attention and not just sub money...
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

this will 100% generate interrest. sign me up! i will probably even buy something from the cash shop while i play! i tried a free trial of this and the only reason i didnt continue was becuase the game was pretty dead. I cant wai tto play this now :D yay for f2p on certain games i would never pay a mohtly for!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

this is the first update they've had in the past 3 years, right?

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

with a population this game ganna be so epic! 

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

For me the trinity is now complete! Everquest, everquest 2 ,and now Vanguard Saga of Heroes! Yes!

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Another  FF2P  game.....I added an extra F for the word "faux".....I told a friend regarding his pitch to me to play STO, "It didn't hold my interest the first time, what changed?"  I actually forgot I played the game before....Yes, it was that good...I went to open an account to find out I already had one......That is when you realize the game really is a dog or you need to take more vitamins and actually get some sleep...At any rate I just wanted to say, "Whoopeeeeee!" Welcome to the gaming glut boneyard where  games go to die at the hands of the frugal shopper......

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

finally i can get to play this game past the free trial. This summer.