Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Making the End Game Fun & Exciting

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Diablo III forum has been updated with new information about a system that the team is putting into the game to make the "end game fun and exciting". Called Nephalem Valor, the system is designed to give players a special magic find - boss kill buff. This, however, comes with a caveat.

Nephalem Valor is one of the major new systems in Diablo III and it kicks in at level 60. Keep in mind that this is still in testing and we’re still working out the details. Here’s how it currently works internally: Rare and Champion packs already have great loot on them.  By killing a Rare or Champion pack, not only do you get their loot, but you’ll also receive a buff granting you increased magic find and gold find.  However, if you change a skill, skill rune, passive, or leave the game, the buff disappears. As an extra reward, if you kill a boss while this buff is active, you’ll receive extra loot drops from that boss.

Read Bashiok's full post on the Diablo III forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Um okay... how is this making it fun and interesting? I don't get that... I do hope they don't go about making the game all about 'max level'. To me, the ability to continue leveling up to max was the best.... then again you did have skills you could invest in and stats which made it feel more dymanic. I just hope dumbing down the genre doesn't make the game more lack luster.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Very cool system.  I like how it helps put an identification on a loot run and helps you to figure out what you want to do in a run at end game.  Pretty good idea for this style of game imo.  Can't wait to get my hands on it.

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Purutzil

Um okay... how is this making it fun and interesting? I don't get that... I do hope they don't go about making the game all about 'max level'. To me, the ability to continue leveling up to max was the best.... then again you did have skills you could invest in and stats which made it feel more dymanic. I just hope dumbing down the genre doesn't make the game more lack luster.

Hopefully max difficulty permadeath curves this 'dumbing down'.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Originally posted by Kizzatta

*Snip* 

Even on regular? Thought permadeath was hardcore (which thank goodness they included!) and all. Anyways, dumbing down is just focusing on the aspect that levels aren't really all that 'spectacular'. The only real thing you have is new skills which... aren't all that 'oo and ah' with the glyphs, at least to me. A lot will have set skills to use by the time they get those new ones it won't be worth the effort. 

I'm just the type that likes to feel like I'm making progress. As far as the end game, this really doesn't seem to do anything at all to make it fun and exciting. I don't feel at all like its going to really make me jump out of my seat. Shrines already give such buffs and while the time restrictions does give me a sense of urgency to try and accomplish as much as possible, it doesn't do enough to make me feel all excited about it after my 50th shrine. Just doing that buff just does 0 in my mind towards making the end fun and exciting.

My issue comes mostly from the fact they WANT to focus on an end (level 99) which in diablo 2, was something you strived for and was difficult to actually reach. Its going to need more then fancy buffs to keep my attention and to me it has absolutely NOTHING to do with end game.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Won't solve the overall dumbing down of the game. They stripped D2, slapped a Torchlight cover on it and called it a day.

Very disappointed with D3, will not be purchsing until it hits the serious bargain bins...and then maybe. I'm really pissed about what they did to this game, been waiting for it for ten years and it's just garbage compared to what it should have been.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Aori

Dumbing down the game.. ok? Because D2 wasn't dumbed down? 5minute meph and baal runs with full 8, sorry i like this option of running the whole dungeon instead of doing 100+ baal runs a night to get 2-3% at 95+ or some loot.

Yes, they've been saying they wanted people to run around the open world more instead of just boss-farming like we did in D2. This give an incentive to hunt down the champions of the open world.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

Are there Raids? Because a large amount of people here think that Endgame = Raids. :P

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

Better drops come from rare elites scattered around so there is incentive to farm whole dungeon instead of the dumb and repeatable short targeted pve grinding.

Looks like a good system.

On the topic of endgame if they seriously do not add an awesome pvp update I am so going to avoid this.

What is the point of grinding for gear that you cannot use to gank others???

I wish Blizzard would understand how easier it is to setup a properly balanced pvp environment when most of the pve grinding is done solo/duo rather than in a traditional MMO environment where the main concern of class balancing is the never ending group combinations for pve encounters.

Solo pve makes it much easier to balance for pvp.

• deadanddivindeadanddivin Member Posts: 13

the people who think this is dumbed down compared to d2 were complete noobs at d2, i'm sorry but it's true. d2 was complete easy mode, you could run through the entire game with a little enigma pally you put together for almost nothing in under 5 minutes. you guys are honestly just trying to find a reason to bash on the game because you have nothing better to do. if d2 is so godly, lemme remind you what godly is to you then.

-half the game players being bots

-almost every single person using a hack online (mostly maphack or breakpoint boosters OH and we can't forget the most annoying one, FARCAST!)

-grushes aka being able to get to 85 or more in a single day,

-invincible hdins running you through everything and killing everyone in pvp by desynching

-those awesome auradins that killed you in 1 hit once you got out of town because of aura stacking

-the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF DUPING which they still haven't fixed

-the good old times where the most broken items made it into the game (white rings and occy rings anyone? OH and wizspike gloves obv!)

-enigma (seriously, everyone gets to teleport, yeehaw >.>)

Now don't get me wrong, i loved d2, it's my favorite game of all time, but its a broken game, d2 is seriously nothing compared to d3.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Zekiah

Won't solve the overall dumbing down of the game. They stripped D2, slapped a Torchlight cover on it and called it a day.

Very disappointed with D3, will not be purchsing until it hits the serious bargain bins...and then maybe. I'm really pissed about what they did to this game, been waiting for it for ten years and it's just garbage compared to what it should have been.

<------- Tourch light forums that way, please close the door.

Really nice and simple change to get people to explore a dungeon rather then make a BLine for the boss.  If any one see's this as dumbing down then they're trolling and nothing more.

Originally posted by expresso

Really nice and simple change to get people to explore a dungeon rather then make a BLine for the boss.  If any one see's this as dumbing down then they're trolling and nothing more.

I see the forum police have arrived.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

I see the forum police have arrived.

That is all that you have to say? you say the game is a dumbed down version of D2 and yet people have made good posts in correcting your statement, got anything to say that backs your dumbed down claims?

I see you're on the city payroll too. Just for the record, I prefer mace to tazer. Don't taze me bro.

As far as what was posted, it has NOTHING to do with how they stripped down Diablo. The only customization left is gear, everything else is now handed to you or given at level-up.

Have fun with that.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

The main thing they dumbed down is the leveling process.  They gave the player less options when leveling up, but what they have done is create a skill/rune/loadout system where they want for their to be millions of viable combinations without one or two min/maxed builds that everyone runs or they are gimped.  They still have a lot of build flexibility and their goal is to keep it balanced where all combinations are viable so in a way they have made the end game choices much more robust instead of a few cookie cutter builds that dominate all.  Of course this will come down to overall balance.

If you are referring to the game being made too easy as was the case through patch 15 of beta they have turned up the difficulty greatly and now even those calling for crazy difficulty are appeased with normal mode alone.  The game will plenty difficult and harsh with hardcore, and the four layers of difficulty.  I think that many haven't paid very close attention that are calling it dumbed down or too easy. 

Originally posted by ProfRed

The main thing they dumbed down is the leveling process.  They gave the player less options when leveling up, but what they have done is create a skill/rune/loadout system where they want for their to be millions of viable combinations without one or two min/maxed builds that everyone runs or they are gimped.  They still have a lot of build flexibility and their goal is to keep it balanced where all combinations are viable so in a way they have made the end game choices much more robust instead of a few cookie cutter builds that dominate all.  Of course this will come down to overall balance.

If you are referring to the game being made too easy as was the case through patch 15 of beta they have turned up the difficulty greatly and now even those calling for crazy difficulty are appeased with normal mode alone.  The game will plenty difficult and harsh with hardcore, and the four layers of difficulty.  I think that many haven't paid very close attention that are calling it dumbed down or too easy. 

There are NO options when leveling up. Period. Everyone gets the same exact stuff, including runes that now are handed out instead of found. And make no mistake about it, there WILL BE min/maxed builds. You're going to see thousands of cookie cutter players pretending to be different.

The entire game was designed for consoles and kids and is no longer Diablo but rather WoWablo. Some people will enjoy the game and others won't. Personally, I find D3 insulting to the Diablo franchise, but that's just me.

And by "builds" I mean how their skills are used. There are no "builds", just how you use what's handed to you. You aren't building ANYTHING in D3 except for your gear.

A successor to D2? Nope, not hardly. Not even close.

There are NO options when leveling up. Period. Everyone gets the same exact stuff, including runes that now are handed out instead of found. And make no mistake about it, there WILL BE min/maxed builds. You're going to see thousands of cookie cutter players pretending to be different.

The entire game was designed for consoles and kids and is no longer Diablo but rather WoWablo. Some people will enjoy the game and others won't. Personally, I find D3 insulting to the Diablo franchise, but that's just me.

It will be very hard to distinguish min/max builds as some abilities are just better in different situations. With the new buff that will present it be interesting. some people may do a heavy aoe to rush thru trash but struggle on bosses, or more of a single target setup because of the end goal or possibly just a middle of the road setup. Alot of options are available for the end game.

min/max aside, gear will play a HUGE role as you aren't going to have every item drop be the same. It is nothing like WoW in terms of gear and that is what D2 was always about and remains the same in D3.

Random loot is the ONLY thing left from Diablo. The UI is for consoles, the graphics are WoWish, and character customization was stripped right out. And if you think there aren't going to be thousands of players using the same "l33t" tactics, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't use the best skills handed to you then you'll just be gimping yourself. That is not customization, that is conformity. Customization in Diablo is a thing of the past. Period.

This is NOT what Diablo is supposed to be about. If you are happy with it then great, have fun. I myself have found PoE to be more of a successor to Diablo than D3.

It will be very hard to distinguish min/max builds as some abilities are just better in different situations. With the new buff that will present it be interesting. some people may do a heavy aoe to rush thru trash but struggle on bosses, or more of a single target setup because of the end goal or possibly just a middle of the road setup. Alot of options are available for the end game.

min/max aside, gear will play a HUGE role as you aren't going to have every item drop be the same. It is nothing like WoW in terms of gear and that is what D2 was always about and remains the same in D3.

Random loot is the ONLY thing left from Diablo. The UI is for consoles, the graphics are WoWish, and character customization was stripped right out. And if you think there aren't going to be thousands of players using the same "l33t" tactics, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't use the best skills handed to you then you'll just be gimping yourself. That is not customization, that is conformity. Customization in Diablo is a thing of the past. Period.

This is NOT what Diablo is supposed to be about. If you are happy with it then great, have fun. I myself have found PoE to be more of a successor to Diablo than D3.

So far alot of the skills have been very good, while some weaker than others it right now has come down to what i like to use the most. You might wanna try the beta or read about the game before you spout your ignorance.

Diablo franchise has ALWAYS been about loot though mainly with its powerhouse D2, it remains true with D3, i don't know who you're trying to fool. EVERYONE of my characters in Diablo2 had the bare min stat requirements i needed and the rest went into Vitality because of the GEAR.

Um, excuse me but I'm IN beta so who's the one spouting?

Like I said, if you're happy with the game, great, have fun. However, D3 is nothing more than a WoWish version of Diablo developed for consoles and kids. Period.

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

Um, excuse me but I'm IN beta so who's the one spouting?

Like I said, if you're happy with the game, great, have fun. However, D3 is nothing more than a WoWish version of Diablo developed for consoles and kids. Period.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/644/view/forums/thread/344536/Firefall-beta-for-D3-beta.html

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Zekiah, come back when you have access to the 25-30+ (100+ with runes) skills and abilities each class has at max level and let us know if you still think there are no options.

Here is a handy resourse the www.diablo3.com lots of real D3 info on there, that way you dont have to assume things.

Zekiah, come back when you have access to the 25-30+ (100+ with runes) skills and abilities each class has at max level and let us know if you still think there are no options.

Here is a handy resourse the www.diablo3.com lots of real D3 info on there, that way you dont have to assume things.

Assume what? I'm in beta and can read. 

I understand the fanatacism that goes along with games/gamers but what gets lost in all of that is that *gasp* some people actually have different opinions. Imagine that!

Reality sure gets skewed through rose-colored specs.

Enjoy D3, I won't be purchasing it. Nothing personal, just a difference of opinion, that's all.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167
    1. I don't think Blizzard meant to use the term "magic find". Yeah, it was a long time, but there was a lengthy developer discussion back in the day about how MF was a bad game mechanic and poor design, at least in terms of being a gear stat.

2. This is an inverse rested bonus. I don't know if makes the game more fun. It does, however, promote longer play periods and more farming. Guess it depends what people's deinition of fun is.

I loved D2, but I've grown up. This game sounds like a giant loot grind for people who need pointless virtual accomplishment to make themselves feel better. It feeds the BlizKiddie stereotype, which in this case, may be more well deserved than other past games.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

this is not so good... so when I kill this rare monster I cant log of for a while to kill some newbies at darkfall ?!

Blizz have to make Diablo to a sandbox, fullloot, pvp game !! (with 3 factions)

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Blizzard: Man endgame is going ot be much more fun now! We added a buff that just makes you grind for me useless virtual shinies! We realized the formula worked In WoW, people love seeing high level elite items flood their screen, so we thought we would do it to diablo 3 also! Happy grinding!

Im not impressed. Not at all.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Cool system.

I wish they would give Decard Cain a purpose, though. He doesn't even identify items anymore. He just stands there.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by HurricanePip

1. I don't think Blizzard meant to use the term "magic find". Yeah, it was a long time, but there was a lengthy developer discussion back in the day about how MF was a bad game mechanic and poor design, at least in terms of being a gear stat.

2. This is an inverse rested bonus. I don't know if makes the game more fun. It does, however, promote longer play periods and more farming. Guess it depends what people's deinition of fun is.

I loved D2, but I've grown up. This game sounds like a giant loot grind for people who need pointless virtual accomplishment to make themselves feel better. It feeds the BlizKiddie stereotype, which in this case, may be more well deserved than other past games.

I love the irony of this post

you do realize you're posting on MMORPG.com right??