Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to see why this engine sucks?

Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Make a jedi consular. 

Once ingame, hit "i" repeatedly to open and close your inventory.  Notice there is no UI delay and it opens and closes very fluidly.

Hit level 2, get telekinetic throw.

Target a mob, cast telekinetic throw, and hit "i" repeatedly as you cast.  Notice anything strange?  Your client only seems to be able to open and close your inventory in between ticks (separate animation chunks) of TK throw.  This is because this game's engine is poorly optimized.  This is why Ilum lags.  This is why you will never get any warzones which allow for more than 30 people at a time.  There is no hope for future massive warfare ever being added.  The game, despite being a AAA title released in 2011, is so poorly coded that it is incapable of adequately handling the MM part of MMORPG.

This isn't a flaw that can be remedied with additional content or bug fixes.  This is a fundamental crippling defect of Hero Engine.  I will be avoiding all other Hero Engine-based games like the plague (looking at you, Dominus).

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Actually, they HAVE cleaned up mos of the ability response issues through patches so there goes that argument that it's impossible to fix evar

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

The slowing of the game when spamming the inventory screen open and closed has less to do with the engine and more to do with how the data is retrieved and/or updated each time the action is triggered.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

According to 1.2 testers on the PTS, the inventory stutter has been fixed.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

yep all in the coding event ho i thinkt he hero engine guys need to work with the engine more too

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Impulse47

Make a jedi consular. 

Once ingame, hit "i" repeatedly to open and close your inventory.  Notice there is no UI delay and it opens and closes very fluidly.

Hit level 2, get telekinetic throw.

Target a mob, cast telekinetic throw, and hit "i" repeatedly as you cast.  Notice anything strange?  Your client only seems to be able to open and close your inventory in between ticks (separate animation chunks) of TK throw.  This is because this game's engine is poorly optimized.  This is why Ilum lags.  This is why you will never get any warzones which allow for more than 30 people at a time.  There is no hope for future massive warfare ever being added.  The game, despite being a AAA title released in 2011, is so poorly coded that it is incapable of adequately handling the MM part of MMORPG.

This isn't a flaw that can be remedied with additional content or bug fixes.  This is a fundamental crippling defect of Hero Engine.  I will be avoiding all other Hero Engine-based games like the plague (looking at you, Dominus).

You look to mutch on you tube man lol

Try to be smart :)

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

I'm about as much anti-TOR as they come but in all do respect, please do your research before blindly accusing Hero.

All it takes is reading what I call Hero's disclaimer for TOR.

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

“I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

We had thought about offering our engine and tools to developers but we had expected that we would have to actually ship a game first, like Epic did with Unreal Tournament before they licensed the original Unreal Engine.

“It’s not productized yet,” we told Gordon. “There are whole sections of code that is only roughed in and not optimized for performance or security. And there are very few comments and very little documentation.”

He didn’t care. “We are going to have tons of engineers. We can finish it ourselves. We’re going to want to modify your source code for our special project anyway.”

That should speak for itself to at least give Hero the benefit of the doubt? I thought like you until I saw that and now I'm a little more educated.

Want a little insight to how those "tons of engineers" ganked the engine? Here's another good read for you, and it should speak for itself on how the game became the most expensive pile of bantha crap in any galaxy.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/08/behind-the-scenes-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-throwing-people-at-the-problem/

In summery, EA did a bio on the engine. They took the engine before it was even close to ready and against Hero's recommendation. Hero told them they will be on their own and Hero can offer no updates to it. BioEA said so what, they are hiring every greenhorn engineer in the country and they are splitting them up so they can't work cohesively but if they have any problems then hey, they will just throw more money at it and hire some more greenhorn engineers.

Anyways, yeah please do your research if you really want to know why the game sucks.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Originally posted by leinad312

According to 1.2 testers on the PTS, the inventory stutter has been fixed.

As a 1.2 tester, I cannot confirm this but I can confirm that the engine feels much better as far as both ability delay and fps. My fps on live is usually running about 40-50 with max settings in most areas but around 30ish in operations and warzones. In warzones it shot up to 50+ and everywhere else so far it was well over 60. I must say though, before I thought the game ran fine. I just noticed the fps in warzones and decided to take a look at fps on live and was pleasently suprised. I will have to check out the inventory stutter next time I am on. (The pts fps is also with the new graphic settings turned to high, and btw the new textures are a nice improvement)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by dubyahite

Actually, they HAVE cleaned up mos of the ability response issues through patches so there goes that argument that it's impossible to fix evar

Just watched two friends try out the free weekend pass event.  So I will say that the over all lag issue has not been fixed substantially.  In all honesty, the lag feels worse than it did on launch.   My friends kicked the graphics settings so low, they were one click above stick figures.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

Who the hell does this and uses it as a benchmark for a gaming engine?

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Originally posted by Konfess

Just watched two friends try out the free weekend pass event.  So I will say that the over all lag issue has not been fixed substantially.  In all honesty, the lag feels worse than it did on launch.   My friends kicked the graphics settings so low, they were one click above stick figures.

Falsifying information based on "watching" someone is not exactly a strong claim for an argument. Anyone who has played the game since launch can tell you ability delay is pretty much all but gone completely at this point and that fps issues are much better then they were. Not to mention it is even better in 1.2.

Originally posted by Celcius

Falsifying information based on "watching" someone is not exactly a strong claim for an argument. Anyone who has played the game since launch can tell you ability delay is pretty much all but gone completely at this point and that fps issues are much better then they were. Not to mention it is even better in 1.2.

Welcome to MMORPG.com where the vocal minority exagerates opinions in an attempt to replace fact.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Wow, there I was hoping for some good/constructive feedback.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Ability delays have been fixed, REALLY?

I haven't played for almost a month myself, but the patches they did up until that point didn't make any difference to ability delay or fps issues.

I've looked at the patch notes since that time and they have made some graphical changes to the cooldown UI.

I don't see how any of the changes in the patch notes could have altered anything with regards to ability delay, other than maybe the perception of said delays due to altering the UI somewhat.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm, I must admit I can not really judge such engine questions. But I am quite sure Bioware should have made their own engire. Buying someone else's engine always ties you down to their specs and limits what you can do.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nikooo0nikooo0 Member Posts: 25

hero engine..is awesome.. end of.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Yes they did use a very unfinished version of the Hero engine, which they heavily modified themselves for their own game.

Yes most ability delay issues have been resolved, I quit playing a week ago, and when I stopped playing there was 0 ability delay on any of my abilities any more, even my long animation AoE's on my BH and my Inquis both functioned the way they should have at launch.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by Elikal

Hm, I must admit I can not really judge such engine questions. But I am quite sure Bioware should have made their own engire. Buying someone else's engine always ties you down to their specs and limits what you can do.

Seems like a new growing trend for MMos these days, using a pre-built engine. Most studios will not even openly publish who they licensed the engine for their game from. Studios would rather spent their time on writing, iterating quest lines, world building, asset designing ect. Cuts down lead time and costs a lot, and there is no guarantee that stability and quality will be better when designing  it in-house, and less time dubugging the engine . To put it in simpler terms, for a AAA MMO with tight budget and time constraints it’s just a big old pain in the ass. They would rather spend time making the game perty         

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Elikal

I find this to be an opinion based on opinion.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Rome was not built in a day...........

and neither was WoW or any other awesome AAA MMO.....

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah Bioware are idiots, they keep pumping out 'free trials' before they release the patch that fixes it all. Complete incompetence.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Senior Manager for Game Designing Company, from German Reich, should be hired. Looks like many of the companies utterly fail at their deliverables only because of their incompetence in management.

Experienced Manager looking for work in Design Company btw.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• baddog66baddog66 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Rome was not built in a day...........

and neither was WoW or any other awesome AAA MMO.....

paing 15 bucks a month while some game builds Rome is just plain dumb. Learning from other games that came before you and building on that is smart which SWTOR did not do.

GRIND DOES NOT EQUAL MAKING A GAME CHALLENGING!! YES I AM YELLING LOL

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

This is nothign to do with hero engine. The problem is EA bought the rights to an Alpha version of Hero Engine and then hired half assed coders to rewrite 70% of the code. What you have running SW:TOR doesnt even vaguely resemble Hero Engine anymore.