Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Going F2P This Summer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the success of Sony Online Entertainment's F2P move for most of its stable of MMOs, it will come as no surprise that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes will be hitting the F2P market this summer. In addition, the producer's letter indicates that the development team is being buffed up and that several familiar faces will be rejoining the team.

While we plan to continue growing the team over the next few months, I wanted to briefly introduce a few of our team leads, including Salim "Silius" Grant (Creative Director), Todd "Hobart" Schmidt (Technical Director) and me, Andy Sites (Director of Development).  Fortunately, I am the only noob to the world of Vanguard, although having been part of the original EverQuest, EverQuest II, Free Realms, and Clone Wars Adventures teams, I've spent most of my career working on MMOs.

Read the full post on the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Someone finally beat you to it Suzie. You are still the master though.

• Marchosias31Marchosias31 Member Posts: 83

This is big news actually, wow......

I always liked this game. Worth checking out......The only thing?

Pvp??

None...................and no, dueling isnt pvp....

If it did have pvp, this game would of been epic...........

Whatever happened to the IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This is awesome news. The only thing keeping me from playing it was the lack of other people playing.

Joined - July 2004

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am looking forward to trying it again.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Tried it twice and droped after thinking that it was not worth monthly fee so maybe I will play a little longer with f2p. Then again I didn't like f2p model of EQ2 but I heard they changed it somehow few months ago. Still good news imo.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Definitely gonna check this out but i wish they did this sooner because if GW2 launches around june, this transition may not reach it's true potential.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Oh.. no PvP except for the PvP server, right?

• ReprobateReprobate Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Marchosias31

This is big news actually, wow......

I always liked this game. Worth checking out......The only thing?

Pvp??

None...................and no, dueling isnt pvp....

If it did have pvp, this game would of been epic...........

This!

Everyone that wants to see pvp back in vg email silius daily untill they give us sartok back.

• Marchosias31Marchosias31 Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by black_isle

Definitely gonna check this out but i wish they did this sooner because if GW2 launches around june, this transition may not reach it's true potential.

Oh so true Black Isle...so true.............

Sadly enough, but I think this game will find its niche crowd, and should do fairly well.

Whatever happened to the IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Nice. I just hope they dont butcher the lands up for exploring purposes and only charge for cosmetics...potions and other stuff like that. Maybe the only instanced dungeons could be chargeable content. Probably some classes as well. We'll see..maybe I'll jump into it more often without a monthly sub.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I have been waiting for this...... 

Should be great to see some population again. Such a great game. I never liked the plastic/stiff lookin animations, but the game was fun. Lots to explore. Fun classes. Great crafting. And a nice mini-game in the form of diplomacy.

Also, BRING BACK THE PVP SERVER, lol. It was harsh, it was brutal, but it was fun. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

" To begin (and I realize I'm stating the obvious) we've had a dry spell of game updates over the past few months."

ROFL...I think this is a typo.  It should say years....

• Sargeras77Sargeras77 Member UncommonPosts: 47

damn haha i had just finished readying my post of the same idea  when i saw this >.>

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Sadly I think its a year too late. With the advent of GW2 it willbe hard to keep a base but I am still hopeful even though I am not a proponent of the f2p model. This game had the best potential and I don't know if this is really going to save it either as late as it is but we can hope. If VG stopped being a ghost town I would play it again.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

37 years to late.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Clicked this expecting a troll topic, and I was pleasantly surprised.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm pleasantly surprised to see SOE actually support this game, and transition it to F2P (as long as the model they use is good).

I'm guessing the jolts to the EQ, EQ2, and DCUO playerbases finally sunk in with SOE about VG.  It's probably one of the best, if not THE best, game they have running.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Was the last MMO that I truely thought was worth paying for, just couldn't get past the rocky start they had.  I left when the pvp server was basically abandoned by them in development terms.  I am not a huge pvper, but I felt like the game would have a uncomplete feeling not being able to do everything I did before.

I hope they don't screw it up, and people get to enjoy the game that it became, not what it started as.  Just wish they would of done this a couple years ago...

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Vanguard is the only MMO I want to play until ArcheAge comes out, but I refused to resub due to the lack of players. This is unbelievable news!

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

With the success of Sony Online Entertainment's F2P move for most of its stable of MMOs,

Except for SWG

Thanks! 

&*#!@$ LA

Enjoy your epic failure in SWTOR

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

geez. it took them long enough.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Vanguard F2P !!! I am soooo happy now, I can't wait!!!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Naowut

37 years to late.

Agreed.

Sorry but while I will always be fond of Vanguard - it is too late.

HF those who will decide to come back.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Sign me up finally....

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I heard they doubled the staff so there is now 2 devs! (Thats a joke)  lol I'm actually very excited. I bought the game quite some time back and found no one was playing. The little I did play I was impressed by. I liked it more than EQII.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.