Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't find a game to sustain me since quiting wow.

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I've went through almost every MMO that has a somewhat reputation, and none of them can keep me happy.

Has anyone got any suggestions of some MMo's similar to the old WoW?

If I can't find anything, I'm thinking of just giving planetside 2 a go. Seems like fun, open world and a 24/7 war going on

Comments

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    DAOC,AO,EQ1 or EQ2,AC,UO time for you to go back in time my friend and find the roots of mmorpg gaming.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Some totaly diffrent games i played after wow.

World of Tanks- free to play

Eve online- 15 euro a month or 21 day free trial

Aion-free to play

Soon ? Planet side 2

Battlefield 3

Skyrim

Some  games i have fun with lately :)

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I feel the same way. I left WOW shortly after Cata was released and went to (and enjoyed) RIFT. Then I went to SWTOR. I recommend both. RIFT is more WOW-like than SWTOR and that will be my remaining subscription based game when I drop SWTOR (when my sub comes due next month). If you are more into pvp I recommend Aion.

You could also try Eve Online. It is a totally different game from any other mmo and has a LONG learning curve but I had a blast with it for 60 days while waiting for Cata to come out.

I am pinning my long term hopes on Guild Wars 2 and maybe Wildstar.

If you find something else please tell me, I would definitely be interested!

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

If you want WoW-like, and don't mind a cash shop, give Runes of Magic a try.

Its a free-to-play WoW clone. Cash shop may be offputting, but players can (legally) buy cash shop currency from other players for ingame currency, so you can technically get away with not spending a dime of RL money.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I agree with Frostwrym. Actually I found Runes of Magic to be the most WOW-like game of any mmo I have tried. However, the cash shop is really in your face. I don't support f2p so I gave up after a few days. Still, it was a good clone.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

For me rift is the most similar game to wow. You should try it if you didnt yet.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'm kind of in the same boat, just waiting for Tera then TSW then finally GW2.  Until then I'm hopping in and out of Lotro, Rift and WoW and some single player games.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Ya probably Rift. You get all the quests, battlegrounds, raids, etc. just like WoW plus the Rifts themselves. The rifts can break up the questing monotony (there are different types of rifts). I liked it because nowhere was safe to afk because of random spawns. You can be fighting a mob for a quest and all of a sudden rifts can open up near you and you are fighting for your life to get away.

I'm playing a bit of Warhammer Age of Reckoning right now until GW2 comes out. If you haven't tried it it isn't the greatest but you can jump right in and start PvP if you are into that. The game is set up somewhat like Dark Age of Camelot and has RvR which is awesome.

Aion f2p will be in the US  11 Apr I think and the EU side is up and running now. This is a fairly good title and the PvP in it is pretty awesome. The questing is kinda mehh but you can fly which is different.

I'm sure that you probably have tried all these, and like me you have done all the f2p you can stand. I never really found any others worth a try for long but I would love to find one! Come on GW2!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Funny thing about Rift, a lot of the community (at least on the server I played on) really hate WoW. They absolutely believe that Rift is completely different and is not a clone at all.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up. If you decide to try Rift, dont mention WoW in world chat unless you're trash-talking it. The community may not respond very well.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

Girls, it is spring time, they are in blossom in everywhere now

• LowFlyingHamLowFlyingHam Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Funny thing about Rift, a lot of the community (at least on the server I played on) really hate WoW. They absolutely believe that Rift is completely different and is not a clone at all.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up. If you decide to try Rift, dont mention WoW in world chat unless you're trash-talking it. The community may not respond very well.

That is funny.  I've played WoW for 7 years or so, and Rift for 3 months.  Rift is not a 100% clone of WoW but it's not different enough for the community to hate on WoW for any other reason than to be on the "let's bash WoW" train to be cool.

Now Playing: Mission Against Terror, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, League of Legends, Minecraft, and the piano. =3

Visit my fail Youtube channel(don't leave me nasty messages!): http://www.youtube.com/user/Mirii471

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by punkrock

DAOC,AO,EQ1 or EQ2,AC,UO time for you to go back in time my friend and find the roots of mmorpg gaming.

These may be great, but it's hard to get over the graphics after playing newer games. I know it sounds superficial, but it's just offputting for me to play the old games, now. I wish we could get games like these with their complexity and depth and the updated graphics. Is it too much to ask for?

I've done trials of DAOC (graphics, difficult UI, clunky controls), AC (graphics, UI), EQ1 (graphics, UI), and UO  (extreme lag for me for some reason...I played on a Japanese server which is really near where I live, but still....and it is a hard enough game to figure out on it's own without friends playing).  

EQ2? Isn't that a WoW generation game? Do you consider it roots? I tried the trial but found the graphics awkward and the art style garish. I rolled as some sort of dark elf, so maybe it was just the starting area. 

WoW seems to have to most responsive controls of any game I have played. I don't mind the art style, and the graphics are  decent. I also like Rift. It feels responsive to me. SWTOR, seems a little off in responsiveness. I noticed this the first time I jumped with one of my avatars. there is a very slight delay and a kind of slide when they hit the ground.  This bothered me.

Also these games (WoW, Rift, and especially SWTOR) feel very linear to me.

Bottom line for me is try Rift if you want something with WoW-like gameplay. SWTOR will be okay, but if you like a world to explore then it won't be good for you.  

punkrock is right if you want to try out oldschool games with more depth, but the graphics  and figuring out the UI are kind of a drag.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by cippalippa

if only they came with a flat 15 $ a month subscription......

....they are more like a cash shop game where every day the game's password is randomized and you have to spend a minimum 50$ if you want access...

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I went through the same thing as i'm sure a lot of people have, WoW is just to good. Whenever I played an mmo after WoW i'd compare and they just couldn't compare. 

Anyways, my solution was to get out of the mmo genre. I haven't played since RIFT beta testing. I play console games and a lot of League of Legends. 

I'm pretty sure after playing WoW for 5+ years I just got burnt out on mmo's, and I doubt i'll play one again aside from Archeage. 

Everyone is different though. 

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

....they are more like a cash shop game where every day the game's password is randomized and you have to spend a minimum 50$ if you want access...

LOL :)

True, but sometime you're dragged into them to eventually believe whatever you'd give is for a greater good, like you'd do for your toon in a hard core raiding guild

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I think my wife would complain if I took up that hobby.
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by elocke

I'm kind of in the same boat, just waiting for Tera then TSW then finally GW2.  Until then I'm hopping in and out of Lotro, Rift and WoW and some single player games.

same with this one alltho im playing free to play aion with veteran account of mine till tera comes out =)

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

If you want WoW-like, and don't mind a cash shop, give Runes of Magic a try.

Its a free-to-play WoW clone. Cash shop may be offputting, but players can (legally) buy cash shop currency from other players for ingame currency, so you can technically get away with not spending a dime of RL money.

I feel Allods Online is more WoW-like than RoM.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

This is CLASSIC! And so true.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Yeah, but the Cash Shop is pure pay to win.

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I used to play rift, but I live in Europe D:

All the servers are dead here

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

These may be great, but it's hard to get over the graphics after playing newer games. I know it sounds superficial, but it's just offputting for me to play the old games, now. I wish we could get games like these with their complexity and depth and the updated graphics. Is it too much to ask for?

I've done trials of DAOC (graphics, difficult UI, clunky controls), AC (graphics, UI), EQ1 (graphics, UI), and UO  (extreme lag for me for some reason...I played on a Japanese server which is really near where I live, but still....and it is a hard enough game to figure out on it's own without friends playing).  

EQ2? Isn't that a WoW generation game? Do you consider it roots? I tried the trial but found the graphics awkward and the art style garish. I rolled as some sort of dark elf, so maybe it was just the starting area. 

WoW seems to have to most responsive controls of any game I have played. I don't mind the art style, and the graphics are  decent. I also like Rift. It feels responsive to me. SWTOR, seems a little off in responsiveness. I noticed this the first time I jumped with one of my avatars. there is a very slight delay and a kind of slide when they hit the ground.  This bothered me.

Also these games (WoW, Rift, and especially SWTOR) feel very linear to me.

Bottom line for me is try Rift if you want something with WoW-like gameplay. SWTOR will be okay, but if you like a world to explore then it won't be good for you.  

punkrock is right if you want to try out oldschool games with more depth, but the graphics  and figuring out the UI are kind of a drag.

Aye, it was a little hard for me also i won`t lie, but DAOC was easy for me to get back to in some ways. Ya EQ2 is a WOW gen game but i think it looks better IMO. The dark elf starting place is ok but not the best.

I would say go with Rift also, i liked it but i also like DAOC style PVP/RVR, once you get a taste of that nothing really fills you up anymore.

Edit:  AO is suppose to get a update later this year or next year, but they have been syaing that for 5+ years* i think it`s been that long lol* But it seems closer with the new person in lead, so we shall see.

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went through the same thing as i'm sure a lot of people have, WoW is just to good. Whenever I played an mmo after WoW i'd compare and they just couldn't compare. 

Anyways, my solution was to get out of the mmo genre. I haven't played since RIFT beta testing. I play console games and a lot of League of Legends. 

I'm pretty sure after playing WoW for 5+ years I just got burnt out on mmo's, and I doubt i'll play one again aside from Archeage. 

I am the same with DAOC with the PVP, nothing can just compare, at times it`s just better to stay with the game you love and take a break.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I am the same with DAOC with the PVP, nothing can just compare, at times it`s just better to stay with the game you love and take a break.

it is VERY hard to find PvP as great as DAoC, im the same way, im currently on a break from DAoC, but i intend to re-sub here soon before GW2 launches, im hoping WvWvW will be comparable. 2 faction PvP is just bland compared to 3 faction fights.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.