Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Game Engine behind Dominus

stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

So I was watching this video http://www.dominusthegame.com/media/videos/ and I was all excited about this new game and what this video would show me about the game.

So then the guy says "we didn't want to waste time building a new game engine."  I immediatly got excited thinking of all the sweet engines that are out now that the company could use.  And then he goes, "so we liscensed the HERO Engine"

And I shit you not, this was my exact reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Keep in mind I have played every game that has used the HERO engine so far, so I know what its issues are as an engine, not just one particular game.

Good thing my i7-2700k is in the mail on its way.  So I can maybe get a decent framerate in these terrible coded game engines.

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by stormseekaz

So I was watching this video http://www.dominusthegame.com/media/videos/ and I was all excited about this new game and what this video would show me about the game.

So then the guy says "we didn't want to waste time building a new game engine."  I immediatly got excited thinking of all the sweet engines that are out now that the company could use.  And then he goes, "so we liscensed the HERO Engine"

And I shit you not, this was my exact reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Keep in mind I have played every game that has used the HERO engine so far, so I know what its issues are as an engine, not just one particular game.

Good thing my i7-2700k is in the mail on its way.  So I can maybe get a decent framerate in these terrible coded game engines.

also i thinkt he hero engine is getting multi thread support or something like that soon but lets hope the game will work fine but you got to remember swtor is modded beyond hero engine reconition too

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Engine development is far more involved than most think and it's almost impossible for the non-coder to quantify the amount of work that goes into engine development.

That being said, what you see in a game is hardly the base engine and the devs still do ALOT of work in customization and optimization before you actually use it.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Quesa

Engine development is far more involved than most think and it's almost impossible for the non-coder to quantify the amount of work that goes into engine development.

That being said, what you see in a game is hardly the base engine and the devs still do ALOT of work in customization and optimization before you actually use it.

the op is referring to how swtor runs witht he engine but its caused by bad coding and not being built around mass pvp but it could be an underlieing engien issues but we will just have to see

• stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

I also played Faxion Online, for a good month or month.  It also used the HERO engine.  So... unless you guys have played both SWTOR and Faxion Online, you should take my word for it.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

If your gonna license a engine i think what the op is trying to say it why not unreal or cry engines they are way better and unreal enigne is the best imo because it can run on tons of setups and still look great.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

well the stress test showed it's not just the engine...506ppl have been confirmed by the devs who were in the zone and it ran much better than swtor with lik 100 :P

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

The Hero engine only supports 1 CPU core by default. Enough said really.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if dominus guys ask for advice from microsoft instead of amd or nvidia!they will play lot smoother!yes with the same hero engine!

ea tried to do it themselves instead of asking a software company for advice they only have themselves to blame!

i hope dominus will make use of remote differential compression and donnybrooks(both free both from ms).

like i say when you want shrimp do you go buy it from the mechanic of a nuclear submarine!of caurse not lol!why would you ask

amd or nvidia for your software issue!ms work directly with both these company so dont sweat it!they know what can and cant be done better then nvidia and amd put together software wise!

Originally posted by karmath

The Hero engine only supports 1 CPU core by default. Enough said really.

theres an engine update thats going to fix that soon

Originally posted by drbaltazar

if dominus guys ask for advice from microsoft instead of amd or nvidia!they will play lot smoother!yes with the same hero engine!

ea tried to do it themselves instead of asking a software company for advice they only have themselves to blame!

i hope dominus will make use of remote differential compression and donnybrooks(both free both from ms).

like i say when you want shrimp do you go buy it from the mechanic of a nuclear submarine!of caurse not lol!why would you ask

amd or nvidia for your software issue!ms work directly with both these company so dont sweat it!they know what can and cant be done better then nvidia and amd put together software wise!

yea they do they even have had a hero engine guy come into the place and help them with some stuff

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Well the SWTOR issues with the game engin go away when you get an i7 and a 580 gtx i hear. Only then do you start gettin 20FPS.

Other than that the engin struggles with more than 30 people on the screen, actually it gets messy with about 20-25.

And i hope the "sound lag" in SWTOR isnt engin related...because that makes the game feel cheap when your sound starts to lag along with the screen...

If they go hero, better make sure no more than 10vs 10 occurs and they give the option to cap sounds played to avoid all the issues making SWTOR suck right now. Doesnt bode well for a pvp game.

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Well the SWTOR issues with the game engin go away when you get an i7 and a 580 gtx i hear. Only then do you start gettin 20FPS.

Other than that the engin struggles with more than 30 people on the screen, actually it gets messy with about 20-25.

And i hope the "sound lag" in SWTOR isnt engin related...because that makes the game feel cheap when your sound starts to lag along with the screen...

If they go hero, better make sure no more than 10vs 10 occurs and they give the option to cap sounds played to avoid all the issues making SWTOR suck right now. Doesnt bode well for a pvp game.

they actully had about 400 on the same area and i had 22 fps the engine wasnt using my gpu fully either so it could be better

its not all the engines fault its has alot to do with the coding but the engine does have its own issue that are fixable

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

Or could it be that other factors are present? There are a million things that effect performance in an MMO. Stress test went pretty well.

Originally posted by Jostle

Or could it be that other factors are present? There are a million things that effect performance in an MMO. Stress test went pretty well.

lots of optimizastion was missing too and it still went decent